considering getting into Incubus, so...

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited April 2008 in Other Music
how should I start. We like all the hits that get played on and radio. Should we pick up a cd? which one?
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lephtylephty Posts: 770
    S.C.I.E.N.C.E and Make Yourself are by far my favorite Incubus albums. They are also "heavy" for incubus standards.

A Crow Left of the Murder is pretty good too. If you are into the pop incubus singles, then Morning View is the one for you. if you like rocking songs though.. the first 2 i mentioned are waaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything they have done recently~
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Start with Make Yourself.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Morning View and Science
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Make Yourself for sure, it's my favorite album from them
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Make Yourself and SCIENCE are the best.

A Crow Left of the Murder kinda sucks.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    how about light grenades?
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Since everyone in this thread is going to give you different opinions, i am going to say "Just start at the beginning"
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Since everyone in this thread is going to give you different opinions, i am going to say "Just start at the beginning"

yeah because their later stuff is subpar IMO
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I really love incubus, but that's right...the later you go, the worse the albums get. A Crow Left of the Murder is by no means a bad album, but SCIENCE, Make Yourself, and Morning View are so much better.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Make Yourself and SCIENCE are the best.

A Crow Left of the Murder kinda sucks.
    ACLM was the album that drew me away from them. They were probably one of my top five bands between '99-'03.

Make Yourself is the fan feeder!!!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Well, I'd honestly say just start with the beginning, then see the progression, since they have a lot of progression. But if you're looking to just start nicely, definitely Make Yourself.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    ehh, i never got science. I think their newer albums are far superior, even ACLOFM. science sounds like bootleg korn, just heavy generic teen music. Make yourself and morning view are where its at.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    I honestly think that 'a crow left of the murder' is their best album by far!!
  • All of their albums are brilliant and must-haves, except for Light Grenades, imo.. I could take or leave that one.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Buy 'Morning View' and 'A Crow Left Of The Murder'....

'Science' is also a great album.....

Never see the big deal with 'Make Yourself', a very 2D and bring record in my opinion.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Buy 'Morning View' and 'A Crow Left Of The Murder'....

'Science' is also a great album.....

Never see the big deal with 'Make Yourself', a very 2D and bring record in my opinion.....

In some ways I agree with you, but some of their best songs are on it.. Pardon Me? Make Yourself? The Warmth?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    my favorite are, in order:
    - make yourself
    - S.C.I.E.NC.E.
    - a crow left of the murder
    - morning view
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    In some ways I agree with you, but some of their best songs are on it.. Pardon Me? Make Yourself? The Warmth?

yeah, some great songs, just a lot of filler too i reckon...

and very little variation unlike Morning View....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    In my opinion, everything they did after S.c.i.e.n.c.e. pales in comparison. The 2 albums pre-Science are worth checking out too: "Fungus Amongus" (raw, no DJ), and the "Enjoy Incubus" EP.

I think S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is epic in every way. It's loud, aggressive, experimental, spacey, and over the top in every good way possible.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think I'm in the minority here cause I actually really like their later albums. I got into them via Make Yourself, which is a great album, but I think they've done better since. Morning View is a great record to start off with I think.
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    A Crow left of the Murder. Easily their best record!

The title track from that record :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CpGQJVRQAc

Megalomaniac and some other cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-UuZV-HKyw&feature=related

I agree with what somebody said earlier, S.C.I.E.N.C.E and Make Yourself are pretty weak musically IMO.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
    I agree with what somebody said earlier, S.C.I.E.N.C.E and Make Yourself are pretty weak musically IMO.

Man, I could not agree less. S.c.i.e.n.c.e. musically and creatively trumps anything I have heard from them since.
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    BinFrog wrote:
    Man, I could not agree less. S.c.i.e.n.c.e. musically and creatively trumps anything I have heard from them since.

We agree to disagree...but this song trumps anything from their earlier albums easily, IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9An32XXZovQ
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • BinFrog wrote:

S.C.I.E.N.C.E is brilliant, aggressive, creative and intense.. but I think the idea that that makes it 'better' than what came after it is a shallow and narrow-minded view.

• luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    lephty wrote:
    If you are into the pop incubus singles, then Morning View is the one for you.
    ????? What are you talking about????????????? Sorry but Morning view isn't pop..it's Rock with beautiful melodies.
    I really like S.C.I.E.N.C.E and make yourself but I was totally blown away when Morning View came out. For me it's Incubus' best work!
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    BinFrog wrote:
    In my opinion, everything they did after S.c.i.e.n.c.e. pales in comparison. The 2 albums pre-Science are worth checking out too: "Fungus Amongus" (raw, no DJ), and the "Enjoy Incubus" EP.

I think S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is epic in every way. It's loud, aggressive, experimental, spacey, and over the top in every good way possible.

I think that they growed with every album and everyone seems to be a step to their apogee, which is Morning View for me. It's just brilliant.
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
    S.C.I.E.N.C.E is brilliant, aggressive, creative and intense.. but I think the idea that that makes it 'better' than what came before it is a shallow and narrow-minded view.

I don't think it is narrow minded and/or shallow at all.

They had everything in the world to prove and were a hungry band. There was no sense of having already made it and being complacent. S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is an album from a relatively immature band just starting to find its sound and hit their early stride, and in my mind everything just came together. It's over the top in a non-pretentious way. It's aggressive but fun to listen to. It's creative without being too artsy. It flows very well without being planned out too much. I think it's phenomenal for those reasons. Great music from a hungry band.
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I don't think it is narrow minded and/or shallow at all.

They had everything in the world to prove and were a hungry band. There was no sense of having already made it and being complacent. S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is an album from a relatively immature band just starting to find its sound and hit their early stride, and in my mind everything just came together. It's over the top in a non-pretentious way. It's aggressive but fun to listen to. It's creative without being too artsy. It flows very well without being planned out too much. I think it's phenomenal for those reasons. Great music from a hungry band.

By the way I edited.. I meant 'what came after it'.. and you haven't really disproved my statement.. Louder does not mean better.

By the way I edited.. I meant 'what came after it'.. and you haven't really disproved my statement.. Louder does not mean better.

I am not saying louder is better. You are trying to call me out for having a difference of opinion.

I find S.c.i.e.n.c.e. to be a better album than anything that has followed it to date. I gave my reasons why I think it is a great album. The reasons themselves are not why I love it, the music is. I think it is near perfect, and I think a lot of factors are at the core of why they were able to make such a great disc. The factors themselves are not the music.