Was pop music always this bad?

2»

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Don't listen to much pop but Justin Timberlake is a great performer with some catchy songs. And some recent rap and hip hop - if you count that as pop, seeing as it's the most popular stuff on the charts - is great, like Kanye West and Timbaland. That guy has talent.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Not always, IMO....and I'm sure this opinion will get flamed....but I remember a time in the late 80's that pop music did not suck....cause hair metal was pretty dominant, and hair metal rulz.
    I remember reading the back pages of a Rolling Stone around 89, just after Crue put out Dr.Feelgood....and 6 of the top 10 albums were "metal"....say what you want about that era, but to have distorted guitars on 60% of the top 10 was pretty fackin cool in my books. I don't think that Grunge even had that kind of impact on the charts....but that was a decent time for "pop" as well....as long as you are defining pop as popular music, and not a genre unto itself.
  • fada wrote:
    I always thought that slade were a fine band

I dunno. I love T Rex, and can even forgive Bolan's shite period, but Slade are a bit irritating.
  • I think rap music is worse than the pop music......I don't listen to any radio (besides Opie and Anthony on XM) because of the shit rap. What the fuck is this Soldier Boy song everyone keeps talking about..

But pop is almost equally as horrible.

Is it me or is all radio music today just the same verse and chorus OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    deadnote wrote:
    you ever heard that song by snow patrol

yeah ive heard that song by snow patrol. :rolleyes: :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    The problem started way before then. It started in 1967, when the BBC conspired with Wilson's British government to close down pirate broadcasters; they might have poached the great John Peel from Radio Caroline, to appease serious music fans, but Radio One, which started on September 30th 1967, was largely made up of as much bubblegum trash as it is today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline

Things were different in the US. I'm not saying I have all the answers but over here, one company controlling most of radio killed it. Music is just fine. Radio is dead.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.