Was pop music always this bad?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Or am I just getting old and crotchety and out of touch with the kids these days? I tried listening to the local "top 40" station and I think I would have rather had my fingernails removed with pliers. And just looking at the most popular songs on iTunes, on yahoo, etc. I tried listening to a few and realized just how god-awful pop music is nowadays. Was it always this terrible? I need to expose my young son early and often to good music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is probably a little worse now then it was in the 80's but it has been quite bad for a while.

The only reason i mention the 80's is Prince and Michael Jackson's stuff then were quite good pop melodies
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Yes and no.....it runs in cycles like everything else.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    to reply to your original question: YES
    pop music sucks !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    gabers wrote:
    Or am I just getting old and crotchety and out of touch with the kids these days? I tried listening to the local "top 40" station and I think I would have rather had my fingernails removed with pliers. And just looking at the most popular songs on iTunes, on yahoo, etc. I tried listening to a few and realized just how god-awful pop music is nowadays. Was it always this terrible? I need to expose my young son early and often to good music.

a little bit of both.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Its bad, dont get me wrong... but it was worse 4 or 5 years ago.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    the biggest selling popular acts have gotten worse, someone mentioned prince & michael jackson, well their old music blows away the major acts of today. thriller, bad, signo the times, purple rain.......where is the equivalent in quality? pink,spears,melua,timberlake,50cent?
    hip-hop has had a pernicious effect upon youth culture in general, what in fuck kanye west is good for is beyond my sphere of thought. a veritable pool of piss the whole situation seems.......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    I think the last 7 or 8 years has been horrible for "Pop" music. At least in the 80s and 90s there was always some dance-able sing-along type songs. today it seems like the only sing-along type pop songs are country songs like carrie underwood. the J. Lo and Justin Timberlake's of the world just put out crappy songs. It's a shame too because I think Justin Timberlake is really talented but just continues to put out drivel that teens and women eat up. Maybe I'm just getting old but I just can't listen to this crappy 'pop' music today. If I'm going to listen to pop music and not hard rock at least give me a beat, a hook and somthing I can sing along too. Hell I'd even take Ace of Base back at this point.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    pjhawks wrote:
    It's a shame too because I think Justin Timberlake is really talented
    you dont have to make concessions here, be vulgar&crude if need be.

y'gotta admit he is a lil bit of a TIT.
  • its always been bad, we just tend to remember the good music that, for the most part, didn't make it into the top 40. The good news is we'll take the best of today and forget 90 - 95% of what is on the top forty.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    its always been bad, we just tend to remember the good music that, for the most part, didn't make it into the top 40. The good news is we'll take the best of today and forget 90 - 95% of what is on the top forty.

but honestly what right now in pop music will you remember? is there a J LO or Justin Timberlake song you will remember and want to hear in 10 years? of any other pop music from today?
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    music is amazingly crazy
    great songs scattered everywhere and somehow they find a way to sound different

you ever heard that song by snow patrol
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • dont judge today's music based on the shit you hear on the radio. music's current state of evolution is actually quite amazing. check out independent artists who dont care about money or looking cool... califone, sufjan stevens, rogue wave, pinback, built to spill, the books, brightblack morning light, jose gonzales, iron and wine, grizzly bear, my morning jacket, lou barlow, yo la tengo, and many others
    drowning, drinking the light
    god's eyes are closed, just like yours
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Well I'd much rather hear Huey Lewis or something than any of the crap on the radio these days, so no, it most likely hasn't been this bad before.
  • PJbauer88 wrote:
    dont judge today's music based on the shit you hear on the radio. music's current state of evolution is actually quite amazing. check out independent artists who dont care about money or looking cool... califone, sufjan stevens, rogue wave, pinback, built to spill, the books, brightblack morning light, jose gonzales, iron and wine, grizzly bear, my morning jacket, lou barlow, yo la tengo, and many others

most of those bands are not Pop Music.

Pop music is short for Popular...and popular music gets radioplay...the whole point of it was that it would be on the top 40 lists...

and that means catchy with very little substance - something that people can sing along to absentmindedly...Pop is not Rock...so, to answer the question most pop music basically sucks in my opinion...and the current crop of pop music seems to be spawned from tv shows or movies...some celebrity singing into a machine that makes their voice sound like Madonna from 1982...and so, lately the music has even less validity...but, I am sure that the idea of catchy pop melodies wont be gone for good...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    PJbauer88 wrote:
    dont judge today's music based on the shit you hear on the radio. music's current state of evolution is actually quite amazing. check out independent artists who dont care about money or looking cool... califone, sufjan stevens, rogue wave, pinback, built to spill, the books, brightblack morning light, jose gonzales, iron and wine, grizzly bear, my morning jacket, lou barlow, yo la tengo, and many others

I just love the fact that I've spotted you mentioning Califone in two separate threads! They deserve all the attention they can get.

I haven't listened to the radio much in the last six years or so. There's really no reason to worry about the state of pop music when there's plenty of great music out there waiting to be discovered outside of the mainstream. Who needs radio when you have the internet to search out new bands?

And as to the question at hand, I know that when I was still listening to radio during the late '90's I though pop music was terrible, but now I look back fondly at some of the pop rock songs I remember. As others have already said, we tend to remember the decent music and block out the bad memories.
  • gabers wrote:

When I was in college, I read about a study that showed that most people stop being as open to new music when they are in their early to mid 20s as they were previously.

Pop music has always been the same. For every Michael Jackson or Prince song getting heavy rotation on the radio back in the mid-80s, there were dozens of other random "one hit wonders" getting just as much play. That's how it's always been.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    but honestly what right now in pop music will you remember? is there a J LO or Justin Timberlake song you will remember and want to hear in 10 years? of any other pop music from today?

Well, I like the new Justin Timberlake album. I think it will age better than its contemporaries. I listen to "BOB" radio station at work sometimes and they play pop hits from the 60s to today. I'm sure they leave out a lot of crap that got play through the years, but still play a lot of crap. I'd say no time can be worst for pop music than the 80s. What was wrong with everybody that decade???????
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    I think it is worse than ever because Pop music currently relies more than ever on superficial aspects such as commerical promotion, sex appeal and multi-million dollar film clips.

at least in other eras it relied more on the music itself. there is no way you can say today's pop has equivalently talented artists the likes of Michael Jackson and Prince.
  • Timberlake is pretty good.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think pop music is always crap, because that's what the masses love.

There was a massive hit song her in Oz a littel while back, Crazy Frog, which was basically a phone ring tone, electronic noises made by a pseudo-frog. It was number one for a scary period of time.

I checked out some Opeth a couple of days ago, Blackwater Park, has been on high rotation in my car since. 10 min complex orchestral songs , which will NEVER make it onto radio.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i heart matchbox twenty
    wah
  • the ruination of current music can be linked directly to timbaland. he is behind or responsible for most of the shitty music out there. i despise this man.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    gabers wrote:

Break out your vinyl collection and always turn your radio dial to the left.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787

You might be on to something. The 70's may have the most awful pop music of all time, but it's close - damn close. Disco might just give the 70's the edge. And all the cheesy balladeering that went on. "shivers"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    icarus wrote:
    yea the beatles sucked

Speak for yourself. The Beatles were a 60's band.
  • gabers wrote:
    You might be on to something. The 70's may have the most awful pop music of all time, but it's close - damn close. Disco might just give the 70's the edge. And all the cheesy balladeering that went on. "shivers"

Yep. People nostalgically assume the seventies were some glory era of music, and yes, there was a lot of great music in the album charts, but if we look at what was always in the singles charts (which mattered to young people more than most things, in those days), there was an enormous amount of shite around.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    icarus wrote:
    yea the beatles sucked

i think icarus is being sarcatic. Anyway ~ since the Beatles practcally re-invented pop music in the 60s the answer is most definitely NO.

i give you Beach Boys as well etc. but yes, to a great extend pop music today = dead.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Pop music started sucking when corporate interests began to pay attention in different way. When they started buying up radio stations, they shut down the avenue many artists find to break out the general public.

Music as music doesn't suck more now than it ever did. You just have to look for it in different places. There are some radio stations that don't follow corporate play lists. These are usually college radio stations. If you are lucky you live near one of the privately owned commercial stations.

Here's one and they stream ---> http://www.wrnr.com They are in Annapolis, MD but stream on the net too. These are the people who once owned the famous and now defunct WHFS back when it was a great station.

eMusic and "other band" boards such as this and the one on RM are great places to learn about what's out there, as well as exploring myspace etc.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    Pop music started sucking when corporate interests began to pay attention in different way. When they started buying up radio stations, they shut down the avenue many artists find to break out the general public.

The problem started way before then. It started in 1967, when the BBC conspired with Wilson's British government to close down pirate broadcasters; they might have poached the great John Peel from Radio Caroline, to appease serious music fans, but Radio One, which started on September 30th 1967, was largely made up of as much bubblegum trash as it is today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline