Options

Time to reveal your cheesy side: Favorite male/female duets?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited January 2006 in Other Music
My wife and I flipping the radio channels last night and "I Don't Know Much" by Aaron Neville and Linda Rhondstadt came on. To me, most duets are incredibly saccharine but for a love song duet I guess it's not terrible. The only two cool duets I could think of are both with Michael Stipe. I love "Shiny Happy People" with Kate Pierson from the B-52's and the 10,000 Maniacs song, I think it's "What's the Matter Here?". I was curious what duets the Pearl Jammers of the World get into.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Honestly, I don't think the duets I'm gonna tell have anything cheesy to them, but well...
    I guess my all time fave male/female duet is Siouxsie Sioux and Morrissey doing "Interlude" but then I also just love whatever Nick Cave has done singin' with any female, call it him doing "Je T'Ame... Moi Non Plus" with Anita Lane, "Henry Lee" with PJ Harvey or "Where Wild Roses Grow" with Kylie Minogue...
    "I Never Talk to Strangers" by Tom Waits with Bette Midler, that is kind of cheesy, but still great.
    *edit: by the way, the 10'000 Maniacs song you refer to is titled "Candy Everybody Wants"
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    barcoach wrote:
    Honestly, I don't think the duets I'm gonna tell have anything cheesy to them, but well...
    I guess my all time fave male/female duet is Siouxsie Sioux and Morrissey doing "Interlude"

*edit: by the way, the 10'000 Maniacs song you refer to is titled "Candy Everybody Wants"

Thanks for the info and where could I find that Morrissey duet? I've never heard it. I've only gotten into Morrisey about eight or so years ago and have bought all the Smiths and Morrissey studio albums since. I'd love to hear it.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    victoria williams and ed vedder doing crazy mary back in 93 was pretty sweet...
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Hands down:

Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman-"Stumbin' In"

:D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    gabers wrote:
    Thanks for the info and where could I find that Morrissey duet? I've never heard it. I've only gotten into Morrisey about eight or so years ago and have bought all the Smiths and Morrissey studio albums since. I'd love to hear it.

It was a single-only release that came out sometime around late 90's, currently it's out of print, this is a classic crooner song written by Irvin Berlin I think, but I'm not sure.
    It's all orchestral with impressive strings over which Siouxsie and Morrissey just bring their vocals together in a strongly emotive and beautiful way. If you're really interested to hear it, PM me, it'll be a pleasure to hook you up.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    gabers wrote:
    My wife and I flipping the radio channels last night and "I Don't Know Much" by Aaron Neville and Linda Rhondstadt came on. To me, most duets are incredibly saccharine but for a love song duet I guess it's not terrible. The only two cool duets I could think of are both with Michael Stipe. I love "Shiny Happy People" with Kate Pierson from the B-52's and the 10,000 Maniacs song, I think it's "What's the Matter Here?". I was curious what duets the Pearl Jammers of the World get into.

YESSSSSSSSS! :D I love the duet in "Shiny Happy People"!!! :D:D:D

I love that song. It ALWAYS cheers me up. It's just so happy.....and shiny :p lol.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    I always liked how eddie and chris cornell did hunger strike
  • Options
    I always like soulwax feat Tacy Bonham with my cruel joke
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • Options
    prljam85 wrote:
    WOW......how could anyone forget that one?!?! :eek: That has to be my favorite one. EVER. Don't know how I forgot about it... :p well, I guess I didn't think of it as in the duet category, even though it is, lol.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    WOW......how could anyone forget that one?!?! :eek: That has to be my favorite one. EVER. Don't know how I forgot about it... :p well, I guess I didn't think of it as in the duet category, even though it is, lol.

Yes but notice is said male/female. I'd already thought of Hunger Strike for male on male action. ;->
  • Options
    By the way, I guess I'm not so computer literate after all. Too anyone, how do you add the icons in the text of your message?
  • Options
    Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss - Whiskey Lullaby.

Allison Krauss could sing me anything and I'd listen.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    Yes but notice is said male/female. I'd already thought of Hunger Strike for male on male action. ;->

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh :p there you go then. That's why I didn't think of it either! :D haha.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Eddie and Susan Sarandon doing Croon Spoon...nice little tune.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Neil Young & Emmylou Harris - Red Sun (Silver & Gold)
    Michael Stipe & Natalie Merchant - Little April Showers (Stay Awake - Interpretations of music from classic Disney films)

And for classic cheesy duets how about:

Neil Diamond/Barbara Streisand - You Don't Bring Me Flowers
    Kenny Rodgers/Dolly Parton - Islands in the Stream
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    don't go breaking my heart.....elton john and kiki dee
  • Options
    Johnny cash and either Fiona or Norah jones .. cant remember
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Johnny cash and either Fiona or Norah jones .. cant remember

Ooh ooh. What's the song? I didn't know Johnny did any duets with ladies unless it was his dear June.
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    For something entirely different, how about "Kick It" by Iggy Pop and Peaches
    Brian
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    how about thom yorke & pj harvey - this mess we're in?
    and i remember listening to neneh cherry & youssoundour(?)´s "7 seconds" all the time.

and from a cheesy point of view, i kinda like those soundtracks from 80's movies, the ones with mellow duets songs like:

time of my life (dirty dancing)
    endless love (endless love)
    up where we belong (an officer & a gentleman)

barcoach wrote:
    I guess my all time fave male/female duet is Siouxsie Sioux and Morrissey doing "Interlude" but then I also just love whatever Nick Cave has done singin' with any female, call it him doing "Je T'Ame... Moi Non Plus" with Anita Lane, "Henry Lee" with PJ Harvey or "Where Wild Roses Grow" with Kylie Minogue...

i really enjoy those nick cave duets. those songs are very beautiful and haunting.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    Prince and Sheena Easton - Arms of Orion 1989.
    Great Tune
    " I demand to have more booze "
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i dont know her name... but has anyone heard 'mouthful of cavities' by blind melon off the soup album? shannon hoon and that lady make for one haunting duet. sends chills down my spine every time i hear it.

"havent seen him smile in a little while... but i know you're laughin from the inside out.."
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    prljam85 wrote:
    i agree, its like those two voices were destined to sing together.

my votes are hunger strike and all of Desire by Bob Dylan, duetting with Emmylou Harris
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    ed and coryn :)
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Ozzy and Lita Ford - Close My Eyes Forever
  • Options
    eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    Shivery down the spiney kindey song alright
    i dont know her name... but has anyone heard 'mouthful of cavities' by blind melon off the soup album? shannon hoon and that lady make for one haunting duet. sends chills down my spine every time i hear it.

"havent seen him smile in a little while... but i know you're laughin from the inside out.."
    " I demand to have more booze "
  • Options
    mark lanegan and isobell campbell - all of ballad of the broken seas, plus "why does my head hurt so?" off of one of her other albums

cat power and ed vedder - "evolution" and "good woman" off of you are free

mark lanegan and pj harvey - "hit the city" and "come to me" off of bubblegum (and mark and his ex-wife wendy rae fowler on "bombed")

the evens - s/t

johnny cash and fiona apple - "bridge over troubled water"

martina topley f. mark lanegan - "need one" (even though you can barely hear mark)

tom jones and the cardigans - "sex bomb" (seriously)

i swear i listen to more than just mark lanegan. i promise. just happens that he sings with women a lot, and it sounds good.
  • Options
    Easily, the best is OZZY w/ Lita Ford...Close My Eyes Forever!
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    prljam85 wrote:

which ones the female, lol
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    the 60's and 70's Marvin Gaye duet's with different female artists are nice, and don't forget

Ozzy Osbourne and Lita Ford people
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf