Which Chris Cornell incarnation is your favorite? Favorite song? Favorite album?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Loved the Temple of the Dog but I have to give Soundgarten the edge for their Superunkown album. If you don't have it and you like rock music you are doing yourself a disservice by not having it. The whole album is solid. But I will say that my favorite Soundgarten song is Outshined. It is the ultimate definition of grunge. Great grunge. Grunge that makes you want to make a spear and hunt boar. Manly, raw, primal rock music. Did I paint a picture? I've tried but I just can't get into Audioslave. I think it's just a little too mainstream for my taste. I could see them touring with Godsmack or something like that. They're just not original.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    Soundgarden Definately! Best album would be Badmotorfinger
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think he really touched me most with his work on Temple of the Dog. Even though it was only one album it was a really good one. Plus his backing band on that was not too shabby :D

Not taking anything away from soundgarden by saying that becasue i really enjoyed a lot of their albums too! I just think TOTD was some great songwriting.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,815
    Superunknown is one of the best rock records...ever
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    *Best Chris Cornell: Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger days)

*Best CC song: Outshined :)

*Best Album: for me it's a tie between Badmotorfinger and Superunknown :p Both of them are too great :D
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Temple was the best thing chris ever did. soundgarden were awesome. but temple is amazing. say hello 2 heaven, hunger strike, call me a dog, times of trouble, wooden jesus - all unbelievable. my favourite soundgarden album is badmotorfinger and best song is mind riot or 4th of july
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    soooo soundgarden. But I really like his solo record as well, so much so I might start a thread about it.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Jesus Christ Pose
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • He was at his best in Soundgarden. And the best CD they've put out is Superunknown.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    i think its a three way tie between Badmotorfinger, TOTD, and Euphoria Morning as far as albums go.
    But Dandelion and I Am The Highway are two of my favourite songs by him as far as Audioslave goes.
    As i said in another thread i dont think Audioslave have quite hit the range and amazingness they are capable of yet.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • The best Chris Cornell songs far and away is "Sunshower" ITs probably a top 5 song of all time for me.

Best album would have to be Badmotorfinger, one of the heaviest albums of all time in my opinion. But Down on the Upside is home to my favorite soundgarden song "Zero Chance" so that is a close second.
  • I'm going to give a longer more descriptive reason as to why I love everything he has done and why it holds a special place when I get the time to later on. Each one is so incredibly amazing. Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, his solo workings..phenomenal, all of it.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    1. Soundgarden

2. Nowhere But You

3. Euphoria Morning
  • I think that "Badmotorfinger" is the best Soundgarden album, though "Superunknown" was really good. But I also loved "Ultramega OK" even if ti isn't their best work, especially "Flower" but "665-667" was kinda satanic and creeped me out.
    TOTD was definitely touching and I don't think it can be compared to Soundgarden, it's just different.
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I love Euphoria Morning, and my favorite Cornell song is on that album in the form of "Preaching the End of the World."
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • My favourite Chrsi cornell is the one screaming in Outshined!!! But the superunknown and down on the upside Chris were cool too!
  • I truly can not decide which incarnation, album, or song..each is pure genius and beauty in each their own way. Which in that case, I am going to explain my love for each incarnation and how effective it is on the soul. Showing it's true beauty through music in every way.

Temple of the Dog..unbelievable, almost indescribable masterpiece created right here. The beauty of music, vocals, and heart-wrenching lyrics all bound perfectly into one. The vocals just searing so deep and writhing with that passion only known to him. The range of the voice..an angelic deep tone or one of his mournful screams adding to the sheer quality of beauty. So delicate and fragile is it, yet so hard and spearing to the bone it is an exhilaration beyond anything. His lyrics..nothing short of phenomenal, touching deep within and begging us to show mourn and love. The most beautiful of songs being Say Hello 2 Heaven, Reachdown, Hunger Strike, Call Me A Dog, Times of Trouble, and All Night Thing so key in beauty as are all of them.

Soundgarden..as it was said before..Total Fucking Godhead are the only words to describe such a force as this was. With all the amazing albums consisting of Screaming Life, Ultramega OK, Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down On The Upside. Each one so amazing. But let me go into depth with the top three selections. This band proved that their creativity shone through as time wore on, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down On The Upside, being the most amazing.

The badass quality of Badmotorfinger itself. So incredible in every possible way, giving the mind and body a complete rockin' ass kicking from start to finish. The music created; mindblowing in each way, the lyrics, more abstract than before, and going to show they are not all about preaching to others, giving them those interpretations. And the vocals..good lord, that deep melodic tone once again, but the agonizing screams that he hits..it's enough to send anyone over the edge. Pure amazement and will knock the breath out of you till no end. The bone-chilling factor is so incredible..leaves one begging for more. Songs such as Rusty Cage, Slaves and Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose, Room A Thousand Years Wide, Holy Water, and New Damage, just such beauties in each their own way.

And the extreme mind-binder and pure creative bliss that was Superunknown. No matter what genre you liked, you would end up finding a track on this album you'd enjoy because of it's vast expansion of horizons. Definitely some of his best lyrical workings to date, and his vocals never failing to amaze yet again. The factors created on this album put them on such a par that hardly anyone could one-up it's wonder. Such amazing tracks like the Beatlish ballads Fell On Black Days and Black Hole Sun, the extreme rocking beasts that be Mailman and 4th of July. And even other gorgeous workings including Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils, Day I Tried To Live, and Like Suicide. Amazing qualities existing here.

And the unfortunate end to the catalogue, but yet so beautiful and soulful as ever, Down On The Upside. A real viewing of Chris and who he is through lyrics, yet at the same time, proving to leave us scratching our heads even more in confusion. This just flows, one song into another, just like a beautifully told story. The vocals of his as gorgeous as ever before and just purely amazing on beautiful tracks such as Zero Chance, Blow Up The Outside World, Overfloater, Tighter and Tighter, Switch Opens, and Boot Camp.

Now on to his solo working, Euphoria Morning. This album, indeed, being nothing short of Euphoric. Just completey setting free his soul, no limits involved. The voice..oh my, how utterly amazing to believe he could be even more incredible than before. They just send the tears pouring from the heart. Begging for consolance. Prying open for all to see. Such a sad state it was, yet so incredibly hopeful and a sheer illuminating beauty all at the same time. Flutter Girl, Preaching The End Of The World, Follow My Way, When I'm Down, Wave Goodbye, Euphoria Morning, Steel Rain..how incredible gorgeous to no extent this masterpiece proves to be.

Audioslave..The band that started this all for me..opening my eyes to see the world..will always hold a special place in my heart. It's music, truly mind-blowing in it's own way. Producing incredible rockers and soulful ballads, it would never want to end. His vocals coming back to life and being pure and true. Giving real rock and music back to us all as always. A great collaboration with the others. Just purely amazing. From the self-titled album, What You Are, Like A Stone, Set It Off, Shadow On The Sun, I Am The Highway, Getaway Car, and Last Remaining Light..all so phenomenal and chemistry like no other. The second album, just as amazing and more mellow, Out Of Exile, Heaven's Dead, The Worm, Yesterday To Tomorrow, #1 Zero, and The Curse..all the way to the end do they prove the amazingness of his beauty in what he creates.

And even the B-sides. So incredibly phenomenal in their own way..just purely mystifying how incredibly beautiful they are. Nowhere But You, Sunshower, Fresh Deadly Roses, Stolen Prayer, Seasons, Ave Maria, and so much more. So haunting and tragic they are, and a reality of exposing just how life can be and that we need to be ready for what it throws at us. Unbelievable the talent expressed.

And with all of this said..it really shows just how amazing Chris is as a musician, lyricist, vocalist..you name it. Everything he touches turns to gold. It is a beauty that will never cease to amaze and will always be remembered. And also proving just how agile and versatile he really is. There is no question in mind..he is truly a beautiful artist inside and out. Anything and everything deserves all the respect it gets and then some. Just such an illuminating production and passion that lingers..it will never lose hold of those who truly love it for what it is, and what has been created. It will be immortalized forever to those who grasp it.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • SoundGarden are wicked..... ummm but my favorite songs would have to be 4th of July, Ty Cobb, Smokestack Lightning
    ...And Leave You Be If You Cross Me And Shake Your Hand Like A Man Not A God!!!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Im surprised, several people here haven't listed temple of the dog. This is the greatest "side project" ever and has Chris' most powerful singing, except maybe birth ritual from singles. TOTD makes me feel the entire spectrum of emotions that i think a person can feel. Stunning...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    badmotorfingers
  • i can't possibly pick a favorite..

but 1989-1991 he just might have been the best vocalist alive.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    Bigmotherf...

wait a sec.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    TOD and EM - both beautiful albums full of emotion. Though I do like the rest as well but those two are just... well... Chris!
  • jimi1970jimi1970 Posts: 36
    The best Chris Cornell songs far and away is "Sunshower" ITs probably a top 5 song of all time for me.
    +1 for sunshower
    i love his solo work on the singles soundtrack aswell, seasons reminds me of a place back where i used to live, i cant put my finger on it.
    best soundgarden song: like suicide (about a bluebird that broke its neck on one of chris's windows and he had to put it out of its misery with a brick, such an amazing song)
    and favourite album: TOTD
    "a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw, delivered him wings said look at me now"
    we've all been given wings to fly, now all we have to do is soar
  • burton-xburton-x Posts: 6
    gabers wrote:
    Loved the Temple of the Dog but I have to give Soundgarten the edge for their Superunkown album. If you don't have it and you like rock music you are doing yourself a disservice by not having it. The whole album is solid. But I will say that my favorite Soundgarten song is Outshined. It is the ultimate definition of grunge. Great grunge. Grunge that makes you want to make a spear and hunt boar. Manly, raw, primal rock music. Did I paint a picture? I've tried but I just can't get into Audioslave. I think it's just a little too mainstream for my taste. I could see them touring with Godsmack or something like that. They're just not original.
    Soundgarden's Superunknown is an awesome album. Its one of those ones where it's all got the same kind of drive and certain aspect that will keep you coming back to it, yet not all the songs sound the same, if that makes sence. Especially things like Head Down and Half. I loved a few songs from Audioslave's first self titled album, but it went down hill very quickly. I saw them live in Lollapalooza in Denver the year the album came out, and it was a very good gig, but I still would say Soundgarden is one to get as they are better, and Tom Morrello's guitar went better with Rage Against The Machine.

I only own my mind, I am mine...
  • Got to say that it was Fell on Black days, specifically the video version.Occasionally I would catch it as a kid on the TV but never new who it was but it is one of those songs that sticks in your mind.It is also an amazing video and easily the greatest first listen ever. Till this day have never and probably will never hear some one sing like that- it is truly unique, though both Ed and Bruce Springsteen have made good attempts at live video recordings.You have to believe him when he screams 'I sure don't mind a chaaaaaaaaaaaange!!'. Simply bad ass.
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    gotta give some love to DOWN ON THE UPSIDE....which is my fave Soundgarden album.

Zero Chance is my favorite song too!!

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    1. Temple of the Dog
    2. the song "Superunknown"
    3. Badmotorfinger

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    1) Badmotorfinger - "Searching With My Good Eye Closed" is just sick!!!
    2) Superunknown - They're version of "Ten."
    3) Down On The Upside - They went out still white hot.
    4) Temple Of The Dog - Hard to rank this so low, but SG's power beats it out.
    5) Audioslave - I love both AS albums, so they're toss ups.
    6) Out Of Exile - See above.
    7) Revelations - I can't wait until 9/5!
    7) Euphoria Morning - Great stuff...but a little slow.
    8) Pre-Badmotorfinger CD's - I only really dig a handful of these raw tunes.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Soundgarden, TOTD and his solo stuff are all tied in first place. I love Audioslave but I think he's earlier work was better IMO :)

Love Steel Rain on Euphoria Morning.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    BinFrog wrote:
    Jesus Christ Pose

totally agree.. probably in my top ten fav songs ever.. SO INTENSE.. heavy but not all distorted and noisey... must be listened to at high volumes only