Recommend me some good hip hop

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I'm looking for good music that the casual listener could enjoy. This would be from the past five years or so. I always liked the rappers/hip hoppers that knew how to have fun without getting too street or the ones that actually had a story to tell that didn't involve getting bitches, wearing bling, or killin' fools. The only new artists I've been able to get in to at all lately that I've heard are Kanye West, Outkast, Tribe Called Quest, and the Roots. Any other suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KellerKeller Posts: 177
    Bone Thugs In Harmony.... great especaily if your into the cheeba
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • don't listen to much rap but for some odd reason sort of liked jay-z's black album, outkast stankonia and last years 50 cent album can't remember the title
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Rap , Hip- Hop, etc.. etc... etc...

Its just a piece of shit.

Just dont listen to it
  • A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Let me lend you a helping hand

Common - Be
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    DangerDoom - The Mouse and the Mask
    Felt 2: A tribute to Lisa Bonet
    Murs - 3:16
    Method Man - 4:21 The day after
    Rhymefest - Blue Collar
    Little Brother - The Listening

If you like Kanye and the Roots you will not go wrong with any of these albums.
    NERDS!
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Let me lend you a helping hand

Common - Be
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    DangerDoom - The Mouse and the Mask
    Felt 2: A tribute to Lisa Bonet
    Murs - 3:16
    Method Man - 4:21 The day after
    Rhymefest - Blue Collar
    Little Brother - The Listening

If you like Kanye and the Roots you will not go wrong with any of these albums.

I agree with these.....especially anything MF Doom has done. Also any Tribe Called Quest album is fantastic.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    You might wanna check out Canadian rapper/songwriter K-OS. I like to describe his music as intelligent hip-hop for intelligent people. He's a gifted lyricist, a fantastic singer, and he also plays a mean piano and guitar. His latest album "Joyful Rebellion" is absolutely brilliant. If there was any justice in the world, this guy would be huge right now, but unfortunately he's hardly known outside of Canada.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Dalek
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    direwolf74 wrote:
    You might wanna check out Canadian rapper/songwriter K-OS. I like to describe his music as intelligent hip-hop for intelligent people. He's a gifted lyricist, a fantastic singer, and he also plays a mean piano and guitar. His latest album "Joyful Rebellion" is absolutely brilliant. If there was any justice in the world, this guy would be huge right now, but unfortunately he's hardly known outside of Canada.

Mad props for joyful rebellion, guys
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    The Pharcyde
    The first two albums by the black eyed peas (without that woman-person)
    Common
    Arsonists
    The Fugees
    De La Soul
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Check out some Saul Williams (Amethyst Rock Star), he's definately not gangsta, a lot of his stuff is quite political. Very good stuff.
  • Rap , Hip- Hop, etc.. etc... etc...

Its just a piece of shit.

Just dont listen to it

Couldn't agree more, well said.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Jurassic 5
    Wu-Tang, especially the first album
    Mos Def
    Public Enemy - if you call yourself a fan of hip-hop at all, you must own It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and Fear of a Black Planet.

I also agree with some of the previous reccommendations, especially Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Common, and KRS-One.
  • A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    De La Soul - Stakes Is High
    The Nextmen - Amongst The Madness
    Jurrasic 5 - Quality Control
    Jungle Brothers - Raw Delux
    Couldn't agree more, well said.
    Have you actually listened to all or some of the artists mentioned here? Or are you just assuming they all sound like today's "Fiddy".
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
    K-OS - Joyful Rebellion (his new single for his yet to be released album is GREAT...think it's called "Saturday Night")
    Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
    Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique, Check Your Head
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Collin wrote:
    Have you actually listened to all or some of the artists mentioned here? Or are you just assuming they all sound like today's "Fiddy".

Yes I have hear it because my little brother listens to the shite.
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I am sure your "little brother" listens to anything beyond the mainstream, too. I'm also sure that you've given the genre a fair chance, as well
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I am sure your "little brother" listens to anything beyond the mainstream, too. I'm also sure that you've given the genre a fair chance, as well

Speaking of "little brother", that's the name of the group I'd consider to be the best to have come out in the last five years....feel good hip-hop (like ATCQ) backed by 9th Wonder's beats.
  • Echoes wrote:

Yeah I have I am pretty open minded about music and like all differrent types of things. as long as it is listenable and there is some amount of talent involved.

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am not very well informed on rap, but I would say that these two would be worth checking out for some good recent rap artist

K-OS
    Edgar Alllen Floe
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Yeah I have I am pretty open minded about music and like all differrent types of things. as long as it is listenable and there is some amount of talent involved.

Are you saying that all hip hop music is not listenable and there's not talent involved?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    New Roots just came out last week and is GREAT. Also, new Jurassic 5 is really good, too. Check out Talib Kweli. He collabo's with the Roots on most of their albums and toured with MF Doom. He also was in Black Star with the MIGHTY Mos Def. Spearhead (Michael Franti) is also cutting edge. To those who dismiss hip-hop an the basis of the crap on the radio...never complain when PJ gets lumped in that "crappy grunge" genre. Ignorance isn't bliss.

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Girl Talk - Night Ripper :)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Okay to modify my original post slightly: how about what would be a good playlist for these type groups to put on the iPod?
  • gabers wrote:
    Okay to modify my original post slightly: how about what would be a good playlist for these type groups to put on the iPod?

The Nextmen - Break The Mould
    The Nextmen - Step Below The Surface
    A Tribe Called Quest - Check The Rhyme
    A Tribe Called Quest - What?
    A Tribe Called Quest - Phony Rappers
    De La Soul - Stakes Is High (title track of the album)
    De La Soul - Supa Emcees
    Jungle Brothers - Jungle Brother (Stereo MC's Remix)
    Jungle Brothers - How Ya Want It We Got It
    Jurassic 5 - Quality Control (title track of the album)
  • Tribe Called Quest - Check the Rhyme, Can I Kick It?, Scenario remix
    De La Soul - Me, Myself and I, Oh Oh Oh Oh (not sure if I spelled that last one right)
    Jurassic 5 - Concrete Playground, Freedom
    Mos Def - anything off Black Star, Ghetto Rock
    Common - anything off Like Water for Chocolate
    Wu-Tang - Method Man
    KRS-One - Black Cop
    Public Enemy - Night of the Living Baseheads, Brothers Gonna Work It Out
    The Roots - Step Into the Realm, Dynamite, the Seed
    ^^^ good stuff
  • Outkast - Aqemini

K-OS - Joyful Rebellion

Jay Z - Black Album
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    I could go on and on, but here's a few songs to get you started -

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y.
    Little Brother - Far Away From Me, Hiding Place
    Organized Konfusin - Maintain, Why
    Talib Kweli - Get By
    Masta Ace - Beautiful
    De La Soul - Stakes Is High
    Nas - The World Is Yours (Q-Tip Remix)
    Nas - Ghetto Prisoners
    Common - The Sixth Sense
    Erule - Milestones
    OC - Far From Yours
    The Roots - You Got Me
    Blackstar - Thieves in the Night
    A Tribe Called Quest - Check The Rhime (spelled that way)

Also recommend Gangstarr, The Roots, KRS-One, Rakim, and a lot of the stuff at sandboxautomatic.com