Anyone here like any Country Music?

2»

Comments

• When country music is good they call it "folk".
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    When country music is good they call it "folk".

or Alt-Country
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    merkinball wrote:
    or Alt-Country

or Americana
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    I love the Highway Men song they do! I didn't know about it till a year or so ago. A friend of mine had a Johny Cash album and he said there was this song on it and the first part of it sounded like something I'd say so he had me listen to it. It's a pretty cool song...I think my favorite part is the part Willie Nelson sings on; I just think his voice fits the song perfectly.
    It is a great song. And! there is a full album of them :):p

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/19020.html?sendroicid=aa2fad5b-792a-4756-b1a2-ff78b6e15f83&sendroikwd=Album
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    No
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • I think Stone likes Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I think so many rock fans hate country music nowadays because the popular stuff on the radio misrepresents the genre. Until just a few years ago I frequently said I hated country, but Ryan Adams tricked me into broadening my horizons. I'm anything but an expert in the genre, but I'm definitely more open-minded than I used to be.

I'd secretly liked the Dixie Chicks since the late nineties, and I started listening to a little Johnny Cash a couple years ago. I love Uncle Tupelo as well as early Wilco and Son Volt (love what they're doing now as well, but you know). Alison Krauss and Union Station are good, though I guess they more specifically fit into the bluegrass category. I haven't hear much or her yet, but I'm planning on checking out Lucinda Williams in the future. I love what I have heard so far.

To those who write off country music as a whole, or any genre for that matter, you might want to think about trying out some of the less mainstream stuff before writing it all off based on Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney. There's some really intelligent, artistic country music out there.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    country music sucks
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Johnny Cash
    Kasey Chambers
    Lyle Lovett
    Dixie Chicks
    Willie Nelson
    Lucinda Williams
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Nickel Creek

As noted in several posts above, the fringe of country music is where the real action is for the genre. Most of the radio-friendly stuff sounds a whole lot like pop/rock with a twang.

The artists I listed are the ones that I find really appealing and with something relevant to say in their lyrics/music/worldview.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    johnny is good. . .is creedence considered country? i think some elvis is

outside of that most country is utter rubbish

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=165191

any chris gaines fans out there? lol
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Johnny Cash rules. Most of the current popular stuff is terrible.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    When country music is good they call it "folk".

I disagree with that I mean if you look at some folk artists I guess like bob dylan, ani difranco, even david gray if you'd like to think about him that way, i don't think there is much country about these artists. I even see chris cornell & bernard fanning's solo work as folk. But I guess i'm just a folk lover and I like to see it as a stand out genre of it's own, just depends the way you would like to view genres. I do think there are getting too many sub-genres though but I don't see folk as a new concept at all.