Anyone here like any Country Music?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Let me start by saying that if someone asks me if I like country music my quick and easy response is no. But that wouldn't really be fair because not all of it is crap, just like 95% of the mainstream stuff. That's not too far different from rock really.

Growing up my parents never really listened to country, but I remember hearing a tune now and then I liked. I definitely tend to like the older stuff, the "Outlaw" stuff, and the fringe stuff.

Here in Texas we have a spinoff of country called, appropriately enough, "Texas Music". Artists like Robert Earl Keane, Lyle Lovett, and Jerry Jeff Walker, to name a few. I actually like a lot of this style.

There are some female performers I've liked through the years. I could still listen to Loretta Lynn, I liked Shania Twain at first, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and I guess you'd say I like the Dixie Chicks, especially their last album.

Living here in Texas for so long, I've learned to love Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and of course Johnny Cash.

I was just wondering if any other PJ fans are brave enough to admit they at least like some country music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    gabers wrote:

I've learned to love Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and of course Johnny Cash.

You are 1 Kris Kristofferson short of the Highway Men :)

I grew up listening to this music (my dad) and it has always stayed with me a wee bit. Nobody writes lyrics like country stars. I've always seen it as each song tells a story. Garth Brooks is very good at it imo.
    Delighted to see you mention Mary Chapin Carpenter, i adore this woman!
    Come On Come On and Stones In The Road are amazing records
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I like some country....Johnny Cash, Dixie Chicks, Loretta Lynn.

Alot of the music i've been into recently has an alt-country vibe to it as well (Wilco, Neko Case, Ryan Adams, Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards, Mojave 3, Amy Millan, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Does early White Stripes count? What about Mark Lanegan's first album?
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Johnny Cash is about it for me.
  • Dwight Yoakam, Kelly Willis, Gary Allen, Cowboy Junkies (kind of alt/country)
  • Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynn, Dixie Chicks, Wilco, Neko Case, Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo
    I'll see you all these and raise you a Dolly Parton...that woman is awesome! We saw her at the HOB on her bluegrass tour a few years back, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Put me down for the Jayhawks, too. Gary Louris co-wrote a lot of the Dixie Chicks' new record.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Hank Williams III
    Shooter Jennings
    Johnny Cash
    Waylon jennings
    Willie
    Cross Canadian Ragweed
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Todd Snider
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Hank Williams Senior
    Willie
    Waylon
    Johnny
    Hank III
    Patsy
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Kris Kristofferson will play in Vienna in 3 weeks and I'm so going to be there :) My sister is a HUGE Lyle Lovett fan, so we went to see him in Vancouver about 2 years ago and I have to say, I was impressed. Great voice, played for a long time and told some hilarious stories. I didn't know the guy was so funny.
    I'm more into the folky stuff though - Joan Baez will be in Vienna again in a few weeks and I would absolutely love to see Gordon Lightfoot once and Leonard Cohen again, but I don't think either is going to happen.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Todd76 wrote:
    Dixie Chicks

Alot of the music i've been into recently has an alt-country vibe to it as well (Wilco, Neko Case, Ryan Adams, Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards, Mojave 3, Amy Millan, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins)

This and Patsy Cline, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Old Crow Medicine Show.
    Cock Fight.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Todd76 wrote:

Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins are excellent! One of my favorite discs from last year, and definitely a early country vibe to it with those harmonies. Kathleen Edwards has a great voice too.

Lucinda Williams is another one to listen too. She's got a new album out (West), but Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is probably her most well known album. She wrote Passionate Kisses for Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Changed The Locks for Petty, and is a great singer/songwriter in her own right.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    merkinball wrote:
    Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins are excellent! One of my favorite discs from last year, and definitely a early country vibe to it with those harmonies. Kathleen Edwards has a great voice too.

Lucinda Williams is another one to listen too. She's got a new album out (West), but Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is probably her most well known album. She wrote Passionate Kisses for Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Changed The Locks for Petty, and is a great singer/songwriter in her own right.

The only Lucinda Williams song I know is "Main Road" off the Sweet Relief Benefit and it has always been my favorite song on the disc - great tune. I read AMAZING reviews of "Car Wheels...." when it came out and I always wanted to check it out, but times were tight and it got lost in the shuffle. So much great music...so little time...so little coin :(

Edit: I realize its not actually a Lucinda Williams song
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    agreed, lucinda is the shit.

but she didn't actually write those songs for those artists. they just covered them.

Good catch. They are both off her self titled 1988 album and were later covers. See her Live at the Fillmore disc for a great version of Changed the Locks.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

Todd76 wrote:
    The only Lucinda Williams song I know is "Main Road" off the Sweet Relief Benefit and it has always been my favorite song on the disc - great tune. I read AMAZING reviews of "Car Wheels...." when it came out and I always wanted to check it out, but times were tight and it got lost in the shuffle. So much great music...so little time...so little coin :(

Edit: I realize its not actually a Lucinda Williams song

You shouldn't have any trouble finding her stuff at a used records store, or probably even a library. Car Wheels, Essence, and World Without Tears are all solid discs. Essence is much more introspective and quiet than the others.

• It depends. I love Willie Nelson and don't like Johnny Cash, so I don't know if that means I like one kind of country and not another. I really like a singer songwriter called Bob Martin, from Lowell MA. He recorded a brilliant album in Nashville, called Midwest Farm Disaster, back in 1972. The album's rare, but it's on RCA and I recommend it to anyone.
  • I grew up listening to country music. My dad is a huge fan (go figure, an Italian that was raised in Chile) of the old school stuff: Hank Williams Sr. and Jr., Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Emmilou Harris, some early Linda Ronstadt and others I can't recall right now.

So, I'm not a big fan, but I'm quite fond of Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn. Her latest album (produced by Jack White) is fantastic!!!!!
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    No one mention any Gram Parsons.

I can't stand new country, ie Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson..

But I really got into Country Rock about five years ago. Poco, anything Gram Parsons, Micheal Nessmith, New Riders of the Purple Sage, etc etc.

And Alt-country too. anything from Bloodshot records seems to be awesome.
    Not to mention bands like Son Volt, the Jayhawks, wilco, Old 97, whiskeytown, and I could go on and on..
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • No one mention any Gram Parsons.
    Good point. Burritos definitely deserve a mention too.

Merle Haggard, too, while I'm at it.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • gabers wrote:
    Let me start by saying that if someone asks me if I like country music my quick and easy response is no. But that wouldn't really be fair because not all of it is crap, just like 95% of the mainstream stuff. That's not too far different from rock really.

Growing up my parents never really listened to country, but I remember hearing a tune now and then I liked. I definitely tend to like the older stuff, the "Outlaw" stuff, and the fringe stuff.

Here in Texas we have a spinoff of country called, appropriately enough, "Texas Music". Artists like Robert Earl Keane, Lyle Lovett, and Jerry Jeff Walker, to name a few. I actually like a lot of this style.

There are some female performers I've liked through the years. I could still listen to Loretta Lynn, I liked Shania Twain at first, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and I guess you'd say I like the Dixie Chicks, especially their last album.

Living here in Texas for so long, I've learned to love Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and of course Johnny Cash.

I was just wondering if any other PJ fans are brave enough to admit they at least like some country music.

The older stuff. I actually went and saw Loretta Lynn last Friday. It was pretty cool. She was asking the people at the club what they wanted her to play. She would say that she didn't remember that one, but then she would sing it. It was funny. She's a cool lady. I also like Patsy Cline, and Johnny Cash.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Manimal wrote:
    And Alt-country too. anything from Bloodshot records seems to be awesome.
    Not to mention bands like Son Volt, the Jayhawks, wilco, Old 97, whiskeytown, and I could go on and on..

All of these bands are just top notch. I guess I like a little of that country twang in my rock sometimes. Don't forget Uncle Tupelo. The newest Ryan Adams and the Cardinals cd is really good too, if you haven't checked it out.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I'm one of the only guys at work who will admit to liking country. And by country I mean Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, and Ernest Tubb.

And of course I love the alt-country out there today. Did I mention I'm going to see Neko Case tonight?
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • And of course I love the alt-country out there today. Did I mention I'm going to see Neko Case tonight?
    Oooh, lucky. I'm seeing her in March :)
  • You are 1 Kris Kristofferson short of the Highway Men :)

I grew up listening to this music (my dad) and it has always stayed with me a wee bit. Nobody writes lyrics like country stars. I've always seen it as each song tells a story. Garth Brooks is very good at it imo.
    Delighted to see you mention Mary Chapin Carpenter, i adore this woman!
    Come On Come On and Stones In The Road are amazing records

I love the Highway Men song they do! I didn't know about it till a year or so ago. A friend of mine had a Johny Cash album and he said there was this song on it and the first part of it sounded like something I'd say so he had me listen to it. It's a pretty cool song...I think my favorite part is the part Willie Nelson sings on; I just think his voice fits the song perfectly.
  • I've always suffered from MCMT syndrome (minimal country music tolerance)...but my g/f has gotten me to be a little more open to the genre. I've always loved Cash, Nelson, Hank, ..the old stuff. But I've come to appreciate some of the newer stuff as well... like Yokum and George Strait. Actually going to see Strait this weekend.... it's not bad music..I guess in the same way Jimmy Buffett isn't bad music.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • CaterinaA wrote:
    I grew up listening to country music. My dad is a huge fan (go figure, an Italian that was raised in Chile) of the old school stuff: Hank Williams Sr. and Jr., Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Emmilou Harris, some early Linda Ronstadt and others I can't recall right now.

So, I'm not a big fan, but I'm quite fond of Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn. Her latest album (produced by Jack White) is fantastic!!!!!

Hey!! Hola!!

Well, it's not common to listen to country music in Latinamerica, but i also like some stuff, of course Johnny Cash and a great great band, The Maverick, these guys have incredible tunes, and the singer is one of my idols -lol- Raul Malo
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • Hey!! Hola!!

Well, it's not common to listen to country music in Latinamerica, but i also like some stuff, of course Johnny Cash and a great great band, The Maverick, these guys have incredible tunes, and the singer is one of my idols -lol- Raul Malo

Hola Andrés!

Feliz cumpleaños atrasado, por ahí vi que estuviste de "natalicio" :), qué tengas un año fantástico!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will you be going to any Euro gigs??

Yeah, I know it is not usual to like country music in Latin America, but it is thanks -or not, depends how you see it- to my father who is a major country music fan. Here in Latin America country music tend to be associated with Hillbillie Bears (Osos Montañosos ;)) cartoons. Especially in South America people give an extremely wierd look when I confess my love for Johnny Cash and such...
  • i used to love garth brooks in 1990.....then PJ/nirvana/soundgarden came along and the rest is history!!!!!!
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    alobar wrote:
    I'm one of the only guys at work who will admit to liking country. And by country I mean Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, and Ernest Tubb.

And of course I love the alt-country out there today. Did I mention I'm going to see Neko Case tonight?
    We saw her too. Are you in Bellingham? Never seen her before, but really enjoyed it. Her voice is awesome and she's pretty funny as well. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, the Eagles, Grateful Dead, Wilco?

Other than that, fuck no. Especially Kenny Chesney, the epitomy of shit as music.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08