New Weezer

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I'm cautiously optimistic. Anyone care to review the album? This video is an instant classic. I'm sure you've all seen it, but watch it again. It is in up there with Buddy Holly. Really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muP9eH2p2PI
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    gabers wrote:
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Anyone care to review the album? This video is an instant classic. I'm sure you've all seen it, but watch it again. It is in up there with Buddy Holly. Really!

I downloaded it tonight...

(ARRRRRRRRRRRR, I live in the Caribbean)

My thoughts so far: Better than the last album, probably overall on par with the Green Album... maybe better... maybe better than anything they put out after the first 2 albums, but not as good as those... but this is 5 songs in.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I downloaded it tonight...

(ARRRRRRRRRRRR, I live in the Caribbean)

My thoughts so far: Better than the last album, probably overall on par with the Green Album... maybe better... maybe better than anything they put out after the first 2 albums, but not as good as those... but this is 5 songs in.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me! I'm off to Wal Mart! Just kidding. I buy my music at a proper store - Target!
    gabers wrote:
    Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me! I'm off to Wal Mart! Just kidding. I buy my music at a proper store - Target!

haha, this album in one word: FUN... I didn't expect much going into it, but it's catchy and well, fun.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    I'd say its very different from any other album they've had. In the sense that its a little more experiential then others. I mean, Rivers doesn't even sing on all the songs!!!!

But it still has some classic Weezer moments.

So....as Homer would say I give this Se7en thumbs up.
  • i was really down and harsh on this album when it first came out. i think i compared the lyrics to Bush lyrics. Then i remembered... it's Weezer.. you don't listen to it for deep meaning.. you listen for fun lyrics and catchy chords. And yeah.. as stated a couple posts up.. it's a fun album.

I think it's their most creative effort to date, it seems like they really tried some out-there stuff. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived is pure awesomeness. The 'meadow' part of Dreaming... into the slightly slower chorus... into the ending riff (that i need more of!) is amazing. in 'Thought I Knew', Rivers gives the mic to someone else for the song.. i don't know who, but they do a good a job and I can't help but shout "not a single damn thing was true" along with him. The only song I really don't like is Heart Songs...it kinda makes me cringe.

Where do i rank it? hm.. better than Pinkerton? nah
    ...better than Blue Album? not really?
    ...green? i think so; much more varied than, at least.
    ...Make Believe? probably...though i really like MB, save for We are all on Drugs
    ...Maladroit? Yeah, though this album in a loose sense reminds me of it, based off how it's 'different'...more experimental.

So i guess.. at an admittedly early stage of it's life, it's my 3rd fave from the boys. And i need see Greatest Man live!
    Where do i rank it? hm.. better than Pinkerton? nah
    ...better than Blue Album? not really?
    ...green? i think so; much more varied than, at least.
    ...Make Believe? probably...though i really like MB, save for We are all on Drugs
    ...Maladroit? Yeah, though this album in a loose sense reminds me of it, based off how it's 'different'...more experimental.

So i guess.. at an admittedly early stage of it's life, it's my 3rd fave from the boys. And i need see Greatest Man live!

Spot on.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    gabers wrote:

I really didn't think that was funny at all.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    its a decent record, not a classic but its ok. Ths single is quality, if if the lyrics are bullshit.

Tracks such as Everybody get Dangerous and that Heart song tend to let the side down, although Pig is awesome, reminds me of butterfly in an odd way.

Its good but cant be put in the bracket of the blue or pinkerton, or for me the Green which was pure melody brilliance right the way through.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Can't they just make another Blue Album? ;)

Seriously though, they were doing fine in my opinion until Make Believe. Those were some of the shittiest lyrics accompanied by pretty good songs I've heard by them. Red, well, I don't like it really. To me, Pork and Beans is like a recycled riff from Pinkerton meshed with a recycled riff from Make Believe. Troublemaker is alright but the lyrics are awful, same with Everybody Get Dangerous.

:(
  • I'm not a Weezer fan at all but I love Pork and Beans. I might give the album a go :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Can't they just make another Blue Album? ;)

Seriously though, they were doing fine in my opinion until Make Believe. Those were some of the shittiest lyrics accompanied by pretty good songs I've heard by them. Red, well, I don't like it really. ... Troublemaker is alright but the lyrics are awful, same with Everybody Get Dangerous.

:(

I thought like this my first couple listens, too...You gotta step back a bit.

Look at the lyrics to Buddy Holly.. to Undone..In the Garage...No One Else...hell, to all the Blue Album. Are they that far off from Red or Make Believe? On my first listen to Troublemaker and into the rap part of Greatest Man, I turned to my and was wife and was like, "What the f--- is this?" But I dunno...I spent some time with em and now i find both hilarious.

"Marrying a bi-otch, Having seven ki-ods" , and "I'll party by myself because I'm such a special guy" crack me up.

We're all a bit older and aren't so likely to let shit pass that we did 14 years ago.

Sometimes with Weezer you have to check your "adult-ness" at the door. You're gonna have some "How old are you, Rivers?" moments, but generally, you're gonna be listening and singing along with a smile.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. The 4 bonus tracks on the deluxe version were definitely worth the extra 5 or 6 bucks.
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    My only issue with Weezer is that the first three albums were chalk full of catchy hits...since then they have steadily declined in hit category and it appears there is more filler. The hits are still catchy, but Blue, Pinkerton, and Green have waaaay less filler.

I'm still a fan. I like the album, but I don't play it over and over like I did with earlier albums.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I thought like this my first couple listens, too...You gotta step back a bit.

Look at the lyrics to Buddy Holly.. to Undone..In the Garage...No One Else...hell, to all the Blue Album. Are they that far off from Red or Make Believe? On my first listen to Troublemaker and into the rap part of Greatest Man, I turned to my and was wife and was like, "What the f--- is this?" But I dunno...I spent some time with em and now i find both hilarious.

"Marrying a bi-otch, Having seven ki-ods" , and "I'll party by myself because I'm such a special guy" crack me up.

We're all a bit older and aren't so likely to let shit pass that we did 14 years ago.

Sometimes with Weezer you have to check your "adult-ness" at the door. You're gonna have some "How old are you, Rivers?" moments, but generally, you're gonna be listening and singing along with a smile.
    Well personally, I think Buddy Holly, and the Sweater Song are very clever, and have a greater depth to them. In the Garage is brutally honest and you can easily relate to those feelings of insecurity. My Name Is Jonas and Holiday are perhaps some of his best lyrics. And of course Say It Ain't So is one of their best songs all around.

Don't even get me started on Pinkerton ;)

The part I bolded I do admit I think is good. I'm gonna have to relisten I suppose. But I won't back down that it's lyrically inferior to his 90s material.

Oh and this is significant....I just got into Weezer a year ago, so there must be something about Blue and Pinkerton that isn't embarassing unless I've aged so much in a year. Just seems that the quality has lessened more and more since the turn of the millenium.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Look at the lyrics to Buddy Holly.. to Undone..In the Garage...No One Else...hell, to all the Blue Album.

All of these are subtle commentaries on much more complicated issues. He attacks them with a child-like simplicity, but the point is heard and it works. To my ear it hasn't worked since Pinkerton (Green had its moments). I think to discredit the lyrics of Blue is to take them at face value, and very little about Weezer was meant to be taken that way.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    I think this album is pretty good, not great though. I can't really compare to the older ones since this is the first I've bought from them, but I do like (most of) their hits...

And I was wondering... does Rivers usually write all the songs? They all credited to him except for a couple I think. Just curious.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    Yes Rivers was the main songwriter up to this record. I think in the future it should stay that way, the far stronger moments of this record are due to Rivers.

The first half of it is excellent, but tracks 7-10 and most of the bonus material is kinda rubbish throwaway filler pop music for me.

The first half dozen tracks are classic weezer though and absolutely Genius, as is Pig