New Respect For Billie - Green Day

2»

Comments

• Take a look facepollution

This is from a young girl, who admittingly states that listening to Green Day is foolish, but she might grow out of it.

If you want to listen to punk and need a left wing message attached, there's an endless amount of bands who are amazingly talented that would most definately suffice.

Oh and the fact that these songs he wrote are about everyday struggles versus those of a millionares, is because he's trying to get paid. And you got suckered into the swindle.

Says the person who quite shockingly missed most of my points. Nice one. If all he was doing was trying to get paid, there are far safer ways to do that than risking your entire career on an album named American Idiot.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Wanna hear what "rubbish" is?

Defining one's own intellect by what rock and roll band's CD they put into a CD player. That's what rubbish is.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Wanna hear what "rubbish" is?

Defining one's own intellect by what rock and roll band's CD they put into a CD player. That's what rubbish is.

oh lets get a list going here, I'll add 'stating the fucking obvious'.
  • Seriously stop and listen to yourself, "12-year old cunts" - cause God forbid you were once a twelve year old, how fucking narrow-minded. Is it incoceivable that 12 year old kids are only part of their audience? What makes me laugh more than anything, is that people judged bands like Pearl Jam and their fans just as harshly when they seemingly got big over night. Do you seriously think all the people who bought Ten and Vs were all fans of deep, thought-provoking music?! NO, there were millions of people who bought those records because Pearl Jam happened to be the 'in' thing at the time. Pearl Jam were referred to as the commerical face of grunge, but without knowing a band personally, you have no real way of knowing what their true intentions are. Your views are just as biased by the media outlets that propagate them, as those people who base their political opinions solely on a particular band they listen to.

I think some people have short memories too, back in 2004, emo (cause that term is any more descriptive than 'grunge' was) was not where it is today. My chemical romance, Fall out boy and Panic at the disco were all far from big, so exactly what band wagon were Green Day jumping on? By most people's standards, Green Day were considered a completely spent force. I totally understand why people hate the fact that AI has sold so well, this sort of thing isn't supposed to happen.

The album itself has some amazing songs, only maybe a couple being solely based on the war (American Idiot, Holiday). Jesus of Suburbia, Are we the Waiting, Boulevard of broken dreams etc are based more on the everyday struggles that the 'average Joe' experiences. Themes of loneliness, disaffection, lack of identity, bereavement, and lost hope are just as high up the agenda. The fact this is coming from a guy as rich as Billie Joe Armstrong proves that he hasn't betrayed his roots entirely - it's not like AI was a sure-fire hit.

What you seemingly can't separate is Green Day the all-conquering commercial success, whose album and image were high-jacked by the various corporate institutions that knew they could make money out of their success; and the Green Day that humbley set about writing an album about the things that they cared about deep down. It's easy to see Green Day as being these smug liberal, know-nothing chancers, BUT without the album's success, they would never have drawn such vehement criticism. Ultimately you are judging Green Day the 'commercial package' and not them as a band.

holy jesus of suburbia.

i don't know why pearl jam was brought into this argument. my argument wasn't i don't have respect for billie bob cause american idiot was a commercial success. my beef was that i don't respect a guy throwing his credibility out the window to sell records.

because i dont really wanna breakdown every little sentence, let's just make sure that you know i am not attacking you or your musical preferences. i am not even attacking green day fans. i am just dissing the band and the path they've chosen to take at this stage in their career. it's chickenshit. with that being said, i think we can both agree we've reached the phase of "difference of opinion."
  • holy jesus of suburbia.

i don't know why pearl jam was brought into this argument. my argument wasn't i don't have respect for billie bob cause american idiot was a commercial success. my beef was that i don't respect a guy throwing his credibility out the window to sell records.

because i dont really wanna breakdown every little sentence, let's just make sure that you know i am not attacking you or your musical preferences. i am not even attacking green day fans. i am just dissing the band and the path they've chosen to take at this stage in their career. it's chickenshit. with that being said, i think we can both agree we've reached the phase of "difference of opinion."

Hell yeah, all I'm pointing out is that your idea of 'credibility' is not set in stone somewhere. The reason I bought PJ into it was because people were quick to jump on the bandwagon bashing them back in the day too.

Anyway I'm done.

oh, and calling 12 year olds cunts is not big or clever!!!
  • oh, and calling 12 year olds cunts is not big or clever!!!

it was a rant, but you'd have to be really brainwashed to think that MTV's core audience is comprised of anyone over the age of 18.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i dont want to do this, but my little cousin is here and insists that i say:

BILLIE ROCKS!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I think it's stupid that you guys are bashing green day. they are a super succesful band and I know they arn't just apealing to little disrecpectful punk kids. I'm shure there are alot of people who think pj is bullshit. in fact I'm sure of it. I hear about it all the time. You guys might think Billy Joe is a punk and your right, he is a PUNK ROCKER. Your entitled to your oppinion and your speech but I think you should get the facts straight first
    I'm "SURE" green day sucks, and i am also "SURE" you cant spell "SURE"
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • it was a rant, but you'd have to be really brainwashed to think that MTV's core audience is comprised of anyone over the age of 18.

Still doesn't make them cunts!
  • Still doesn't make them cunts!

fine, it makes them douche bags.
  • fine, it makes them douche bags.

I think you are missing the point, nobody can help being 12 years old! And everybody is more susceptible at that age - they're only looking for an identity. More to the point, when was the last time you saw music on MTV?!!!
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    The video's not working for me cause I need a WMA plugin which I can't get installed, is there anyone who's seen it on Youtube and wants to give me a link? Or who wants to PM me on how I can see it? After hearing what it's about I HAVE to see this lol.

And before his first step... He's off again...
  • I think you are missing the point, nobody can help being 12 years old! And everybody is more susceptible at that age - they're only looking for an identity. More to the point, when was the last time you saw music on MTV?!!!

no, you're missing the point -- look who billie is preaching to.

and, when i have kids, i will NEVER let them watch MTV. I would rather have them watch Playboy or Spice. look how stupid america is getting...90% of the TV-viewing population (250 million) watched american idol last night.

if this is the direction america is heading, i am getting less and less american everyday.
  • no, you're missing the point -- look who billie is preaching to.

and, when i have kids, i will NEVER let them watch MTV. I would rather have them watch Playboy or Spice. look how stupid america is getting...90% of the TV-viewing population (250 million) watched american idol last night.

if this is the direction america is heading, i am getting less and less american everyday.

dude you're basically describing the lyrics of the song American Idiot there, "don't wanna be an American idiot, one nation controlled by the media". How ironic.....
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

I hear stuff like this on this board quite a bit.

In 20-40 years, it'd be interesting to look back to see how many of these folks left the States, or even lifted a finger (typing mean words about the US on this board doesn't count) to do ANYTHING to relieve these awful, oppressive conditions that they live under in these United States.

My guess would be very few, because they enjoy their plush living conditions so much that they're too happy & content to do anything.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Take a look facepollution

This is from a young girl, who admittingly states that listening to Green Day is foolish, but she might grow out of it.

If you want to listen to punk and need a left wing message attached, there's an endless amount of bands who are amazingly talented that would most definately suffice.

Oh and the fact that these songs he wrote are about everyday struggles versus those of a millionares, is because he's trying to get paid. And you got suckered into the swindle.

Yeah I'm am a foolish GD listener, not for long But Im not a girl (HE) will grow out of it

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • nice guys finish last? that came out in '99. that's crazy. as i was watching the video I thought it was Billie Joe back say in '92 or something, KERPLUNK era. he should be more mature than that. he fucking dropped kicked the dude like he was Superfly Snuka or something!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • nice guys finish last? that came out in '99. that's crazy. as i was watching the video I thought it was Billie Joe back say in '92 or something, KERPLUNK era. he should be more mature than that. he fucking dropped kicked the dude like he was Superfly Snuka or something!
    Nice Guys Finish Last came out in 1997. But they were playing Geek Stink Breath which came out in 1995. He was 25 at best during this concert.
  • Yeah I'm am a foolish GD listener, not for long But Im not a girl (HE) will grow out of it

Sorry dude, no harm meant. If you like pop punk, check these guys out. They're pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMlEsFbWuvo&mode=related&search=
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon