Radiohead-OK Computer

2»

Comments

• evenflow82 wrote:
    If anyone can track down the Bends b-side called "The Trickster" I would highly recommend doing so.

yes! this is on the my iron lung ep which i have. another great one on there is you never wash up after yourself.
  • While we're on the subject (were we?) watch this video ... all the way to the end. Because I said so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwQ6q5HHOnQ
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    i consider the bends, ok computer, and kid a as sort of the "perfect" radiohead album trilogy. to me there is just no wrong on any of those records.

Well said. :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    does anyone like the live recordings?
  • G-Man23 wrote:

Radiohead is even superior to Pearl Jam live on occasion. Brilliant live band.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    G-Man23 wrote:

I only wish they had put knives out and paranoid android on there.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i consider the bends, ok computer, and kid a as sort of the "perfect" radiohead album trilogy. to me there is just no wrong on any of those records.

ok, on the topic of kid a... how is it perfect.

specifically, who wants to explain treefingers to me? im seriously open to opinions from radiohead diehards. cos i heard it on the way to school.

how is this a great "song"? it's not even a song. it's noise. almost 4 minutes of an electronic hum. no rhythm, no tune, no words, no discernible instruments. well, i take that back, i MIGHT have heard a few piano notes being played. but other than that... just a buzz in the back of my head. how is that genius music? how is it groundbreaking? i really want to know, maybe im missing something.
  • ok, on the topic of kid a... how is it perfect.

specifically, who wants to explain treefingers to me? im seriously open to opinions from radiohead diehards. cos i heard it on the way to school.

how is this a great "song"? it's not even a song. it's noise. almost 4 minutes of an electronic hum. no rhythm, no tune, no words, no discernible instruments. well, i take that back, i MIGHT have heard a few piano notes being played. but other than that... just a buzz in the back of my head. how is that genius music? how is it groundbreaking? i really want to know, maybe im missing something.
    It's kind of like Pink Floyd's "On The Run".

I can't explain it any further than that, you either 'get it' or you don't.

*shrugs*

"Make our day"
  • ok, on the topic of kid a... how is it perfect.

i love treefingers. i think it's a lovely segue into the second half of kid a. if you're not into it then you've made up your mind. that's just how you hear it. it's one of the few ambient sort of pieces i've heard that i really enjoy hearing.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    It's a good cd, but the Bends is better.

the reason that The Bends is their best album can be summed up in four words:

street

spirit

(fade

out)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • OK Computer is a nice album

The Bends is nice too

Pablo Honey is mediocre at best

Amnesiac is half good (Pyramid Song!!!!), but remember it is just a collection of songs that weren't put on to Kid A

Hail to the Thief rules if only for the fact that it contains 2+2=5

Kid A is awesome (I skip Treefingers, but beyond that I absolutely love that album, especially the love it / hate it reactions it elicits)
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • To me it was that guy who sang "CREEP" YUCK!!! My then girlfriend (now wife) bought it for me a year after it came out. I played that thing day and night for 6 months non stop. I went to sleep to it, woke up to it, ate to it, ect... until I loved it. Then another 6 month of non stop ok computer just because it was my new fav album. Still my #1 album. I love it on Vinyl as well.
  • OK Computer is the best cd of the 90's in my mind. One of the few cds that had all this hype before it came out that lived up to it for me.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    OK Computer is the best cd of the 90's in my mind. One of the few cds that had all this hype before it came out that lived up to it for me.

It sure is...really one of the best...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • my favorite radiohead album, and in my top three albums of all time. paranoid android and the tourist are tops for me. amazing rock album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    my favorite radiohead album, and in my top three albums of all time. paranoid android and the tourist are tops for me. amazing rock album.

hadn't listened to this recording for a few years. a few days ago i put it back on and it was like i had listened to it for the first time once again! when it is all said and done, OK Computer will be looked as one of the records that best exemplifies the atmosphere of the late 20th century/early 21st century.
    i love treefingers. i think it's a lovely segue into the second half of kid a. if you're not into it then you've made up your mind. that's just how you hear it. it's one of the few ambient sort of pieces i've heard that i really enjoy hearing.

ive never liked ambient and i will never understand the genre. i like my music to have... well... music. a song. an instrument. something.

i will say, kid a is better than i remembered. except for treefingers. it's worse than i remembered. matter of fact, it might be the reason i hated kid a for so long. i dont think i ever listened past it.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I love OK COMPUTER! Let Down & Electioneering are easily 2 of my fav songs from the band. And Subterranean Homesick Alien....I've always loved loved loved the version from Lost Treasures. Wow! That version is THE BEST! :o
    I must say though, as much as I adore OK COMPUTER it never has grabbed me as tight as it has everyone else. I consider myself a huge Radiohead fan too and always feel sorta outta place when OK COMPUTER praise starts happening. It's like I'm not on "that level" about it or something. :p It's weird. I know each his/her own but it seems like I'm the ONLY one. haha. I mean it's a great album and all...but I'm not overly obsessed with it like so many others seem to be. Now Kid A and The Bends on the other hand....
    :D;)

Maybe it's because I didn't first hear OK COMPUTER in 1997? Perhaps that's why so many are deeply attached to this album in a way that I never will be. Because they were RIGHT there RIGHT when it was happening. I know it was huge for the band...and was a huge change for them...and left a HUGE impact on all the fans. Anyways...sorry to go off but I've had this conversation a few times before and I just find it interesting. People are really insane over this album and it intrigues me.

Overall I think EVERY single Radiohead album is brilliant in it's own special way. Each one offers something all it's own. This band, very much like PJ, has such a wide variety of sound/vibes/feelings from one album to the next.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    i think i owe it to everyone to apologize here. i will publicly own up and say i was wrong about kid a. im not going to say it's a great album (it's still nowhere near ok computer) but it is one interesting listen and does have some pretty great songs. i still think treefingers is stupid and think that if they'd taken a handful of tracks from amnesiac and put them instead of some of the tracks on kid a, they'd have had an album for the ages. i feel like they are two flawed albums when they could have had another masterpiece and an interesting bsides compilation. but kid a is a good album.

amnesiac... not so much. hail to the thief is next to digest. this thread has inspired me to immerse myself in the second half of their catalogue again :)

however, i need to make clear this admission does not in any way extend beyond my radiohead comments... i still reserve my dislike of anything chris cornell has ever sung ;)
  • i think i owe it to everyone to apologize here. i will publicly own up and say i was wrong about kid a. im not going to say it's a great album (it's still nowhere near ok computer) but it is one interesting listen and does have some pretty great songs. i still think treefingers is stupid and think that if they'd taken a handful of tracks from amnesiac and put them instead of some of the tracks on kid a, they'd have had an album for the ages. i feel like they are two flawed albums when they could have had another masterpiece and an interesting bsides compilation. but kid a is a good album.

amnesiac... not so much. hail to the thief is next to digest. this thread has inspired me to immerse myself in the second half of their catalogue again :)
    Right on !
    however, i need to make clear this admission does not in any way extend beyond my radiohead comments... i still reserve my dislike of anything chris cornell has ever sung ;)
    lmao :p

"Make our day"
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:

Overall I think EVERY single Radiohead album is brilliant in it's own special way. Each one offers something all it's own. This band, very much like PJ, has such a wide variety of sound/vibes/feelings from one album to the next.
    So so so so so true.

I can see so much of the radiohead fanbase in Pearl Jam (and there are those people who refuse to listen to anything but the Bends/Ten, The ones who shut out the older material entirely, the ones who say with every new thing they do that they've lost it, etc etc etc).

"Make our day"
  • I agree with the 'every album has it's own greatness' mindset, much like PJ.

Pablo Honey gets the shaft for the most part, but it's impossible to dismiss Stop Whispering, Lurgee, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Thinking About You, and of course Creep.

OK Computer is just unbelievable from an album standpoint. Definitely deserving of a top 5 albums of all-time ranking.
    hate was just a legend
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I agree with the 'every album has own greatness' mindset, much like PJ.

Pablo Honey gets the shaft for the most part, but it's impossible to dismiss Stop Whispering, Lurgee, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Thinking About You, and of course Creep.

OK Computer is just unbelievable from an album standpoint. Definitely deserving of a top 5 albums of all-time ranking.

Id say Pablo Honey was my third favourite actually after ok compuer and the bends.

There is reason to buy every album though yes, i love them all.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Id say Pablo Honey was my third favourite actually after ok compuer and the bends.

There is reason to buy every album though yes, i love them all.

I agree completely, ranking it third behind those two.
    hate was just a legend
  • Fitter
    happier
    not drinking too much.....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    i used to think bends > ok computer until recently...the latter of which being played practically nonstop. i'm surprised to find no one mentioning lucky. in fact, the no surprises, lucky, tourist endings is one of the best 3 closing songs ever. or actually one of the best 3 songs in a row ever. period.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    Fitter
    happier
    not drinking too much.....

"fitter, healthier and more productive
    a pig
    in a cage
    on antibiotics"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Great cd for sure. Back then like 97, I think it was the most unique cd I had and probably still do have aside from a sparklehorse cd. Ok computer is a awesome album. Electioneering, karma police, and paronoid android, and no suprises are great songs.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Remember when you first heard this in 1997? How relevant is this gem today? I say it could have been released yesterday,today or tomorrow. Timeless! Electioneering & Karma Police........amazing!

Indeed timeless.. amazing album.. way ahead of its time.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    There are a couple other albums that came out that year that I really love.. that I stlil love today.. Incubus's S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (cannot stand them anymore.. but this album was great)... and The Mollusk by Ween.. I love Ween :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!