Radiohead-OK Computer

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Remember when you first heard this in 1997? How relevant is this gem today? I say it could have been released yesterday,today or tomorrow. Timeless! Electioneering & Karma Police........amazing!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    It's a good cd, but the Bends is better.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    i remember the first time I saw the video for paranoid android. that was awesome.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I agree if it was released today it would be just as good. One of the better cd's of our generation in my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • It's a good cd, but the Bends is better.
    false.

it's a great cd but the bends is still great although lesser...

Actually it depends on my mood (just like with PJ). Any of their albums could be my favorite on a given day.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • murph83murph83 Posts: 122

I agree. I don't know why this doesn't get as much credit as OK computer. It is still a great album, I just think the bends is more solid from beginning to end where OK computer has some filler/shitty songs.
  • The Bends is better, but OK Computer is still amazing. Electioneering is the biggest Radiohead curveball ever. Let Down is amazing to listen to with headphones on. Paranoid Android and Karma Police are still great even after hearing them a thousand times.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Bremerton wrote:
    The Bends is better, but OK Computer is still amazing. Electioneering is the biggest Radiohead curveball ever. Let Down is amazing to listen to with headphones on. Paranoid Android and Karma Police are still great even after hearing them a thousand times.

The version of Let Down on the Radiodread dub tribute album as done by Toots and the Maytals is awesome. The original is pretty good too.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • i consider the bends, ok computer, and kid a as sort of the "perfect" radiohead album trilogy. to me there is just no wrong on any of those records.
  • I have a special, goose-bumpy place in my heart for The Bends, but OK Computer is art, and it belongs at the top of the favorites lists it inhabits.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • let down and hanging around, crushed like a bug in the ground... this song owns me when i hear it. : )
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    false.

it's a great cd but the bends is still great although lesser...

Actually it depends on my mood (just like with PJ). Any of their albums could be my favorite on a given day.

except pablo honey, amesiac, and hail to the thief.

those are pretty mediocre if you ask me. (compared to kid a, the bends,ok comp)
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    If anyone can track down the Bends b-side called "The Trickster" I would highly recommend doing so.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i consider the bends, ok computer, and kid a as sort of the "perfect" radiohead album trilogy. to me there is just no wrong on any of those records.

minus 6-7 of the "songs" on kid a ;)

sorry, i recently gave kid a another shot, and i still think it pretty much sucks. but it's better than amnesiac. hail to thief is better than both combined, but still light years short of the greatness they reached with the bends and ok computer.

ok computer is brilliant. i lean towards the bends, but im not so sure. they're both so different... the bends is one of the greatest straight up rock records ever. ok computer is simply unlike anything else ive ever heard. tough call.
  • bjf143bjf143 Posts: 147

i don't think you can compare them, which is what makes OK Computer so incredible...the bends is incredible it's own right, but then the OK Computer comes out, and if Radiohead's name wasn't on the album cover, you'd have no clue who did the album...sounds completely different, which is why they're easily one of the best bands of the past 20 years...two completely different styles which produce incredible album after incredible album...

also, if you haven't heard it, the golden unplugged album is pretty amazing, too..
    "Actually, we're a complete fraud. We can't sing, play or write songs, we get other people to do it for us. We also pay radio stations lots of money to tell kids to buy our records and wear clothes like us."

~EV

www.myspace.com/nittanylions

Jo's Board
    http:\\jojogvn2fly.proboards86.com

I also prefer the Bends
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Agreed 100%
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • Great album, one of my faves. If I had to rank it, it'd be #2 behind the Bends.
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Remember when you first heard this in 1997? How relevant is this gem today? I say it could have been released yesterday,today or tomorrow. Timeless! Electioneering & Karma Police........amazing!

Agreed. The Bends is a great album; it's what got me into radiohead in the first place. It's just a great rock album that was hard-hitting at its time of release. But I think that that album has definitely aged. The production on the bends just sounds...nineties-ish to me.

OKComputer on the other hand, it's rock, it's art, it's experimental, it's got so much fucking texture to it. The message it conveys is, as you pointed out, still so relevant today. The "filler", to me, isn't just filler...it's a part of the message. It defines what an album is supposed to be, a story or statement from beginning to end.

I can't name another album that I own, and I own a lot of albums, that comes as close to perfection in all facets (vocals, production, continuity, instruments, special effects, etc.) as OKComputer does.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Bremerton wrote:
    The Bends is better, but OK Computer is still amazing. Electioneering is the biggest Radiohead curveball ever. Let Down is amazing to listen to with headphones on. Paranoid Android and Karma Police are still great even after hearing them a thousand times.

agree!! both great albums!! but the bends it's still a better record! but the OK Computer it's a masterpiece their biggest record, full of great songs!

the bends it's better for me cause it have Fake Plastic Trees, my favorite Radiohead song, and Just!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled

I agree with this. I love The Bends more but both would be one of the few albums to get a 5/5 perfect score from me. It took me much longer to enjoy OK Computer but once it clicked I realized how good the album truly is.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand

i'm also with you. but i still give ok computer a pretty much perfect ranking.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I like the Bends but it is not my favorite. Perhaps it will be one in the future.

It was Ok Computer that hooked me for good. And I have to say that every album forward just had become more and more amazing to me. I like the electronics. I like the songs that people might think are fluff. I am also enjoying Thom's new album but it's just buying my time while I sit and wait and wait for the new album. At least I got to see them this summer. That was a lot of fun.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    except pablo honey, amesiac, and hail to the thief.

those are pretty mediocre if you ask me. (compared to kid a, the bends,ok comp)
    amnesiac is basically a b-sides record so that's a gimme..

Pablo honey is... mediocre.

HTTT is beautiful. I fucking love that record.

"Make our day"
  • All the Radiohead studio albums are great in their own way, and I'm embarrassed to admit just how often I listen to each of them as I go about my day. What I'm really enjoying right now are the new song compilations floating around that people have pieced together from the live recordings of the 2006 tour. It makes me positively giddy to think about what these are going to sound like after they're tweaked in the studio.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • somebody on here awhile back said that radiohead planted their place in rock history with Ok Computer and I guess they forgot that they did that WAY back with Creep off Pablo Honey.
  • somebody on here awhile back said that radiohead planted their place in rock history with Ok Computer and I guess they forgot that they did that WAY back with Creep off Pablo Honey.

You're probably right.

Do you want to get a song stuck in your head?

Watch this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dMLE0Z2yY&mode=related&search=jonny%20greenwood
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • You're probably right.

Do you want to get a song stuck in your head?

Watch this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dMLE0Z2yY&mode=related&search=jonny%20greenwood

That ruled thank you.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    love the album...........one of the best of the 90s
    Brian
  • That ruled thank you.
    That did rule ^_^

Thanks for the link as well!

"Make our day"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    sponger wrote:
    i remember the first time I saw the video for paranoid android. that was awesome.

Okay there Chris Farley.

:)