Phish pondering reunion

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited July 2008 in Other Music
a letter from Page from the Phish website:

Given the volume of speculation and rumors that have bubbled up recently, I have been asked to make a statement…Here goes.

For me, the last four years have been great. I’ve spent quality time with my family and have watched my daughter grow. I took great pleasure and pride in writing and recording an album. I’m living a healthy lifestyle. I travel as little as possible and I sleep in my own bed. It took a couple of years after the break up to begin talking to my old band mates, but once the conversations began to flow it wasn’t long before the friendships were rekindled. And I can honestly say that I’m closer with all of them now then I’ve ever been in our 20-year relationship.

Recently the conversations have turned toward the possibility of spending some time together. Currently many of us have plans and projects already in the works, most notably Mike, who made a great album and is about to hit the road in support of it. Given that I might not even see some of the guys for the next six months, I would say that the announcement of a reunion is premature. However, later this year we hope to spend some time together and take a look at what possible futures we might enjoy. In fact the only real decision that has been made is that when we do get together, it will only be the four of us, hopefully with no distractions. I am really looking forward to that.

I want to say just a few more things. The prospect of Phish reuniting is something I consider very seriously, and I think about it a lot. And lastly, as always, there is plenty of misinformation floating around. Try not to focus too much on secondhand sources and random gossip. If there is anything real to announce, it will come from the four of us as a group.

Until then,
Page
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    didn't read a word of that post. The thread title is enough to put a smile on my face.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Phish pondering reunion: a large congregation of neo-druids who gather together annually to ponder the phishes.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Seriously... I didn't know Phish ever split up.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • This is bound to fail

With gas being 4 dollars a gallon, who is going to aimlessly follow them around the country?
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    This is bound to fail

With gas being 4 dollars a gallon, who is going to aimlessly follow them around the country?
    thats great....the trouble with phish shows was that each town they played in got overtaken by people looking to get as wasted as possible...trey himself expressed dismay over that

they'd be much better off playing shows to the locals....and i for one am getting to old to travel for concerts
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    it will happen, but not for a while. Check out gordon's new band tho if you need your fix, they are pretty solid, I saw their warmup show at the ironhorse in NoHo. They played phish's version of meat and a great cover of she said by the beatles
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    If they reunite, they better freaking do it right. Non of this half-assed, out of practice, lack of cohesion 1999-2004 crap. And for the love of god Trey, get a real guitar tone. That nauseating post-hiatus tone is for the birds (most of the time).

Don't get me wrong: 1999-2004 had MOMENTS of genius. I had a blast at the shows I went to. But "Phish" to me is everything that came before that era. That's what I grew to love. If they come back, I just hope they do it for the right reasons. I want to see them on a mission to bring it 100%. I don't know what sound or direction that is, but I sure hope they nail it *if* they do come back.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    If they reunite, they better freaking do it right. Non of this half-assed, out of practice, lack of cohesion 1999-2004 crap. And for the love of god Trey, get a real guitar tone. That nauseating post-hiatus tone is for the birds (most of the time).

Don't get me wrong: 1999-2004 had MOMENTS of genius. I had a blast at the shows I went to. But "Phish" to me is everything that came before that era. That's what I grew to love. If they come back, I just hope they do it for the right reasons. I want to see them on a mission to bring it 100%. I don't know what sound or direction that is, but I sure hope they nail it *if* they do come back.

I'm with ya on that one, although they did have some really good moments post-hiatus. The SPAC shows were nuts. I guess trey played two new songs at rothbury this weekend with gordon, and trey/tom have been writting, so hopefully a new batch of "good" songs will come along for the ride.
    I'm with ya on that one, although they did have some really good moments post-hiatus. The SPAC shows were nuts. I guess trey played two new songs at rothbury this weekend with gordon, and trey/tom have been writting, so hopefully a new batch of "good" songs will come along for the ride.

Spac Piper was insanity. Worcester Maze. The energy at Albany. Like I said, there were some great P-H moments. I won't deny that.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    BinFrog wrote:

I'll agree that their 2003-04 shows were subpar... but their 1999-00 shows were amazing!! They were still pre-breakup then and putting on some really good shows. Big Cypress, Deer Creek '99, Alpine '99, Allstate Arena '00, Vegas '00, Shoreline '00, etc..
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Trailer wrote:
    I'll agree that their 2003-04 shows were subpar... but their 1999-00 shows were amazing!! They were still pre-breakup then and putting on some really good shows. Big Cypress, Deer Creek '99, Alpine '99, Allstate Arena '00, Vegas '00, Shoreline '00, etc..

summer '00 was awesome, great year of my life. I'm still a fan of 94 and 1997 (fall) the most. First show was worcester 97 (the epic runaway jim show)
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    anyone think stone looked like a photo negative of trey during this tour???
    I love to turn you on
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    WOOOO! ive been dying to see them live FOREVER! its only a matter of time :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    anyone think stone looked like a photo negative of trey during this tour???
    if only he played like him too... he would give mike a run for his money

summer '00 was awesome, great year of my life. I'm still a fan of 94 and 1997 (fall) the most. First show was worcester 97 (the epic runaway jim show)

Phish's fall '97 tour was argubly their best tour... and one of the best tours ever played by any band EVER! I'm a big fan of 12/7/97 Dayton, OH myself:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    WOOOO! ive been dying to see them live FOREVER! its only a matter of time :D

If they do get back together you are in for a treat! Chris Kuroda is the fifth member of the band;) I know a guy who used to work for them on tour.. and if they get back together, will most likely work for them again. I'm gonna give him a call today and see what's up.
    Trailer wrote:
    If they do get back together you are in for a treat! Chris Kuroda is the fifth member of the band;) I know a guy who used to work for them on tour.. and if they get back together, will most likely work for them again. I'm gonna give him a call today and see what's up.
    hook me up with some good seats! i wanna see em at red rocks!

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    sgossard3 wrote:
    if only he played like him too... he would give mike a run for his money
    he'd give him more than a run for his money!

i love Pearl Jam, they're my favorite band ever, but mike mccready can't be mentioned in the same sentence as TREY ANASTASIO when it comes to guitar skill

not many people can be...its a joke seeing these lists of 100 guitar gods and jack white is #7 and trey is like #85

trey's skill is simply not of this earth
    StuffnJunk wrote:

i love Pearl Jam, they're my favorite band ever, but mike mccready can't be mentioned in the same sentence as TREY ANASTASIO when it comes to guitar skill

not many people can be...its a joke seeing these lists of 100 guitar gods and jack white is #7 and trey is like #85

**bows down to the guitar god that is Trey**
    StuffnJunk wrote:

AGREED! the tone! the sustain! the power! INSANE!

Trey is a Jedi
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I am going to sound really really old. But I have to say that I lost interest in Phish when they decided to play a 20 minute version of Wolfman's Brother Fall of 1995 I think.

The 1st time I saw Phish was 1988 or 1989, not sure. But I do know I paid $3 for a ticket. Junta was on Maxell tapes and Lawn Boy was coming. That was the best in my opinion.

I am fucking spoiled!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    BinFrog wrote:

what is that?
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    momofglynn wrote:
    what is that?

A bunch of live Phish tunes
    momofglynn wrote:
    I am going to sound really really old. But I have to say that I lost interest in Phish when they decided to play a 20 minute version of Wolfman's Brother Fall of 1995 I think.

The 1st time I saw Phish was 1988 or 1989, not sure. But I do know I paid $3 for a ticket. Junta was on Maxell tapes and Lawn Boy was coming. That was the best in my opinion.

I am fucking spoiled!

I wouldn't say that was their best. It was probably very cool because you could see them in more intimate venues, but musically they still hadn't matured into their own. Ahhh Maxell tapes:D.. I have hundreds of bootlegs on Maxell tapes that I don't listen to anymore thanks of CDR's and my ipod.

I'll agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of Wolfman's Brother when it first came out.. but once they started adding the funk to it, it took a life of it's own. Just check out the version they played at the Great Went 8/16/97. See.. a 20 minute Wolfman's is a GOOD thing!!:cool:
    Trailer wrote:
    I wouldn't say that was their best. It was probably very cool because you could see them in more intimate venues, but musically they still hadn't matured into their own. Ahhh Maxell tapes:D.. I have hundreds of bootlegs on Maxell tapes that I don't listen to anymore thanks of CDR's and my ipod.

I'll agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of Wolfman's Brother when it first came out.. but once they started adding the funk to it, it took a life of it's own. Just check out the version they played at the Great Went 8/16/97. See.. a 20 minute Wolfman's is a GOOD thing!!:cool:

Albany 03 had a sweet Wolfman's.
    to me it was their best. I have gone to the Clifford Ball, The Great Went and the Lemon Wheel. They were all fun, good times, great friends. But if I had my choice of seeing them with their new-er material or going back to the Portsmouth Music Hall days, Keene State College Days,..... Hands down I think the best you could see them were back in the day. I think their playing was more inventive. I think they were more creative. They still enjoyed being around each other. To see what they became was a nice ride to say the least.

I have seen them from the beginning. I have seen the entire spectrum. And my choice will still be anything pre-1995. I can say that since I witnessed it. I don't need a bootleg to tell me otherwise, I was there. Not too many people on this board can say they had 10 Phish shows under their belt before 1991.

Still only my opinion......
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    momofglynn wrote:
    to me it was their best. I have gone to the Clifford Ball, The Great Went and the Lemon Wheel. They were all fun, good times, great friends. But if I had my choice of seeing them with their new-er material or going back to the Portsmouth Music Hall days, Keene State College Days,..... Hands down I think the best you could see them were back in the day. I think their playing was more inventive. I think they were more creative. They still enjoyed being around each other. To see what they became was a nice ride to say the least.

I have seen them from the beginning. I have seen the entire spectrum. And my choice will still be anything pre-1995. I can say that since I witnessed it. I don't need a bootleg to tell me otherwise, I was there. Not too many people on this board can say they had 10 Phish shows under their belt before 1991.

i totally respect your opinion (and a lot of older phans will agree with you 100%), but just a question, is this based solely on the music or are you also including the scene around the shows/band. I love thier music pre-95 but I think 97-98 are my personal favorites (it gets funkier in those years), but I also have heard that is when the scene went downhill fast (wookies and hard core drugs following the band just to follow them and go to shakedown st, not purely in it for the music)
    momofglynn wrote:

Right on.... to each their own. I dig their old stuff too. I'd much rather hear a Possum from the early days:D