Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Their new album came out this week. It is quite good, anyone else pick it up? Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'd like to hear it.... what other cd could you compare it to?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i have it too. its my first exposure to them. i have recently downloaded their whole discography. cant wait to get in to them more as i am preparing to see them open for pj.

i dig the new album but have heard it isnt their best. i hear goo and evol are rather ripping. anyways.,

i like the songs incinerated and rats.

im sure itll grow on me more.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    I got the import version late last week with the track Helen Lundeberg...I really like this album.
    Similar to Sonic Nurse but alittle bit better imo.
    stand out tracks for me are "Sleepin' Around" ,"What a Waste" and "The Neutral"
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    I got the import version late last week with the track Helen Lundeberg...I really like this album.
    Similar to Sonic Nurse but alittle bit better imo.
    stand out tracks for me are "Sleepin' Around" ,"What a Waste" and "The Neutral"

hi, axl. better than sonic nurse? damn.
    kdpjam wrote:
    hi, axl. better than sonic nurse? damn.
    hey :)
    i think so yeh.
    the first 5 tracks for me on the new one are really flawless.
    One thing I do like is that the tracks are short and sweet..at times SY tracks can drag alittle bit too much.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    It is pretty good, a lot more accessible than the rest of the Youths stuff I think
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    for the person just getting into sonic youth you should listen to Daydream Nation. It is a wonderful album.

axl i have to disagree with you a little man. I don't think this one is close to sonic nurse, but i loved the sonic nurse album.

I think the album is good. the first two songs Reena and Incinerate are AWESOME. I also really dig turquoise boy and pink steam. the other songs are not bad by any stretch of the imagination but it is a little tame.

I'm not sure if i'm going to love or hate the song do you believe in rapture.

I will say this the more i hear it the more it grows on me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    axl i have to disagree with you a little man. I don't think this one is close to sonic nurse, but i loved the sonic nurse album.
    to me it had that accessible sound Sonic Nurse had..this album grew on me pretty fast.

YNWA
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    i am really diggin' the album. Bought it on Tues. and listened to it yesterday, and listened to it twice. I thought it was pretty good. :) I really like Reena and Do You Believe in Rapture? I can't wait to hear these songs live next month :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    i dig the new album but have heard it isnt their best. i hear goo and evol are rather ripping. anyways.,
    Not the most fair comparisons, EVOL came out 20 years ago, hard to expect the same quality of music that far apart.

Rather Ripped is a good album. It starts to drag its feet just a bit in the middle after the great start(first four tracks), but it picks up before it gets to the point of being boring.
    i just listened to the tracks they have on myspace. sounded pretty good. they are on david letterman tomorrow night, FYI......
  • this is a great cd. i highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be introduced to sonic youth or just anyone who likes good music. it is a very accessible cd by sonic youth standards. there are some absolutely beautiful moments on this cd especially the kim songs (excluding 'what a waste' which i don't really love). reena, jams run free, and turquoise boy are all pretty stunning. it's just an incredibly solid cd. still might be my favorite cd of '06
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they'd be better if they could write and play.
    brain of c wrote:
    they'd be better if they could write and play.

sometimes their lyrics lack, but they have some very good moments on the lyrical side. This album is a little weaker then others.

If you are talking about this album in general i kind of agree. there are points i think the lyrics are a little lacking (although some songs are very solid), but in general i think they have done a good job over their career.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • hey - l absolutely love this album. Incinerate is everything i ask for in a song. that being said, i don't have anything else by them except daydream nation. i'd like to delve into this band more and want to start with something similiar to this new album's vibe.

suggestions??

Thanks!
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Just avoid Washing Machine, bit of a wild card that one. Sonic nurse is pretty similar to rather ripped i hear
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    Just avoid Washing Machine, bit of a wild card that one. Sonic nurse is pretty similar to rather ripped i hear

:eek:

washing machine is worth owning for Becuz and the diamond sea alone! :D

you are right about sonic nurse have a similar feel to rather ripped though.

As for the new album its grown on me i like reena, incinerate, pink steam, the neutral, and turquose boy a lot. the others are mostly okay, but i don't really care for Rats.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    mole1985 wrote:
    I'd say the wildcard is "NYC Ghosts and Flowers"
    don't think I have touched that album more than twice :D

YNWA
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Fucking good album, Pink Steam is one of my favourite songs of the year.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    ...at times SY tracks can drag alittle bit too much...

To me, it is this trait that makes them "Sonic Youth"
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
    To me, it is this trait that makes them "Sonic Youth"
    yeh..there are just some tracks which can do without it..and some which will suck without it.

YNWA
  • mole1985 wrote:

to be honest, i think rather ripped can't be compared to any sonic youth record before it. it has several elements that are classic SY, but they have never made a record of mostly 3 or 4 minute pop songs. there are some loooonnnng songs on sonic nurse. the quiet and beautiful moments on sonic nurse can be compared a bit to rather ripped, but overall there is more distortion and aggression on sonic nurse. regardless, i would definitely recommend either sonic nurse or murray street for someone who likes rather ripped. i still think rather ripped is the best thing i've heard this year so far
  • Obscured1Obscured1 Posts: 56
    Fucking good album, Pink Steam is one of my favourite songs of the year.

I totally agree, with U.i love the intro... Pink Steam is the new "Rain on Tin".
    Lee Ranaldo plays a beautiful lead guitar, on numerous tracks off of "Rather Ripped"
    intodeep wrote:
    :eek:

washing machine is worth owning for Becuz and the diamond sea alone! :D

I *heart* Washing Machine. That is one of my favorite albums. The Diamond Sea, Becuz and Little Trouble Girl (fea. Kim Deal) are the highlights of that album. And I must say, 'Washing Machine' and is a FUNNY song! :p
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    I *heart* Washing Machine. That is one of my favorite albums. The Diamond Sea, Becuz and Little Trouble Girl (fea. Kim Deal) are the highlights of that album. And I must say, 'Washing Machine' and is a FUNNY song! :p

becuz
    no queen blues
    unwind
    the diamond sea
    hearing kim gordon say "soda pop"
    little trouble girl

all highlights
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    becuz
    no queen blues
    unwind
    the diamond sea
    hearing kim gordon say "soda pop"
    little trouble girl

all highlights

oh yeah, I LOVE it how she says that too. :p also, "honey, here's a quarter go put it in the washing machine" LOL
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Inicinerate for song of the year until strapping young lad is released
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Wow! I just started listening last night. Rather Ripped is Rather Awesome! :D
    Awwww...REENA is THE cutest fuckin song! :o I can't stop listening/dancing/smiling to it. It's sooooo cute!! I know Nadi....I can't wait to hear this next month!

I'm also loving 11 Pink Steam & Turquoise Boy<~~ gorgeous song *sigh*
    It's so great to hear Kim singing..not just talking but singing singing. :) It's beautiful. Oh and the harmonics in this one kinda remind me of Jeremy at times. haha. And how the end just starts getting, uh, rather RIPPED! Fuckin love it. Signature SY goodness.

Whoa and speaking of the PJness... Rats! ha. :p
    As soon as I heard that intro too I thought "funkay"
    Too cool.
    :D

Lovin this album. They've really captured everything that we love about them and they've managed to make it all super duper catchy in the process.
    Going back for some more right now.
    :cool:
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Wow! I just started listening last night. Rather Ripped is Rather Awesome! :D
    Awwww...REENA is THE cutest fuckin song! :o I can't stop listening/dancing/smiling to it. It's sooooo cute!! I know Nadi....I can't wait to hear this next month!

I'm also loving 11 Pink Steam & Turquoise Boy<~~ gorgeous song *sigh*
    It's so great to hear Kim singing..not just talking but singing singing. :) It's beautiful. Oh and the harmonics in this one kinda remind me of Jeremy at times. haha. And how the end just starts getting, uh, rather RIPPED! Fuckin love it. Signature SY goodness.

Whoa and speaking of the PJness... Rats! ha. :p
    As soon as I heard that intro too I thought "funkay"
    Too cool.
    :D

Lovin this album. They've really captured everything that we love about them and they've managed to make it all super duper catchy in the process.
    Going back for some more right now.
    :cool:

YES! I'm glad you liked it too Lydi. I am assuming Brian gave you a copy of the album;) since I didn't give you one hahaha. and YES, I thought of the EXACT same thing w/Rats! :p We are such PJ fanatics :o

to me this album is kind of going back to their roots, and then some. I love it how this band revolves after each album. CHEERS to SY for celebrating their 25th as a band!! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    YAY thanks Nadi. :) And you guys definitely inspired me but I um "acquired" this one on my own. :p

Rats! haha. See I knew others were thinking the same thing. ;)

Have I mentioned how fuckin cute REENA is!?? :D Eeeee! I can't get it outta my head. I love how it wastes no time too! :D Such a hooky little number. Why does it make me wanna do the swim? hahahhaha.

Oooh and I must also agree with everyone about Inicinerate. It is a definite standout track as well.

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••