Beck - The Information

CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Anybody picking this one up tomorrow? I am, I'm not all that excited about it for some reason, I love Beck, maybe since Guero came out last year I'm not fully pumped up for a new album, who knows. I hope it is good, I've heard good things about it so far. Anybody listen to the leak or the many, many videos he has posted?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I actually love Guero, so I was looking forward to this a lot. However, there are some songs that definitely echo his earlier stuff-some kinda weird rap stuff that I don't really dig. There are a few songs I've heard that were unimpressive, and a few that are just great, "Think I'm In Love" and "Strange Apparition" being my favorites.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • I am most certainly picking this up tommorrow. Kidd Chris (on 94.1 philly) played a bunch of the tracks last week. Sounds pretty good to me, a lot like Odelay! I'm very excited!! Also wanna pick up the new Killers
    "Alcoholism is a disease. But it's, like, the only disease you can get yelled at for havin'. Damnit, Otto! You're an alcoholic! Damnit, Otto, you have LUPUS!"
    Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
  • It's better than Guero. I like it.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • i got idi got id Posts: 867
    I picked it up today and I love what I've heard so far
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I will buy it... I love Guero. I loved Odelay.
    I listened to 30 seconds of each song of the new album on iTunes and it sounds very good...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I got it today...very very good, not many other bands or artists are really doing anything like what Beck is up to with this album. It sounds like it's an album that will definetely grow on me, and I was struck by how dark it was. There's alot of diversity of styles, but I think in terms of subject matter, this is by far Beck's most depressing album.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    The first song is straight Odelay. Actual Odelay, not Guero-Odelay where it seemed like he was trying to replicate Odelay and came off slightly awkward. The bassline on "Think I'm In Love" sounds a lot like one from Guero, but I can't place which song it is at the moment....
  • I love Guero.

Also I downloaded the leak a week and a half or so ago and love the new record :D

The first half or so is a bit poppy (not bad at all, just poppy) but around track 8 it REALLY gets good!

Go Beck, another 4 star record!

You don't know fucking shit about depressing. ;)

Sea Change is the most depressing and beautiful album I've ever heard. Period. Not even fucking close.

But this album does have a dark feel to it.. surprisingly dark.. feels like it should be listened to in a cave (maybe the sound effects and reverb has something to do with that :p ). I love it!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    This one is really quite good. It is typical Nigel Godrich-Beck mixed with a bit of the Dust Brothers-style Beck. There is no doubt this is a Godrich produced album, but there is more diversity(and rapping!) on this album then any of his previous Beck albums. It is probably a little too long and the last three part song is just way too much, but it is a really good album overall.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    This album is going into my heavy rotation, I really like it a lot. I only listened to it once but I smoked a bowl and listened with headphones and it put me in a total trance. I don't know if I would use the word dark to describe it. For me it was just full of atmosphere and it had a Binaural kind of listen to it. There is a lot of stuff going on on this album if you really listen. That last song is kind of crazy. It reminded me of Pauls Boutique. Whats the deal with Nausea sounding just like Black Tambourine though. For some reason I thought this album was going to be just a bunch of leftovers or half an album or something because it was followed up so closely to Guero. This is a completely new, original album. I really like that song Soldier Jane a lot.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    He was actually working on this before he started Guero which is odd. The bassline in "Think I'm In Love" sounds a lot like "Scarecrow"(I think that is the one) from Guero. It is weird because those Guero songs probably actually grew from(or copied, if you prefer) the songs on "The Information"

You don't know fucking shit about depressing. ;)

Sea Change is the most depressing and beautiful album I've ever heard. Period. Not even fucking close.

I know my fair share about sad songs, thanks...Sea Change is an unbelievably sad album, detailing a breakup...but the subject matter of this album is much darker and much more dire. Sea Change was talking about one breakup, whereas most of Beck's lyrics here allude to some apocalyptic end of society as we know it. Listening to Motorcade, the Information, etc...makes me worried for the future. I think that's much darker.

But the music offsets that, kind of like Guero did (for example Girl, which juxtaposed a pop melody with lyrics about a serial killer).
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    All Hail Xenu!

/obligatory
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Sea Change was amazing, I'm not sure I can get into Beck again after that. It's almost like once he opened the door and let flood out all those serious images and lyrics, I won't be able to get into his new albums if they feature Odelay-esque nonsensical lyrics. If I want Odelay, I'll listen to Odelay.
    HYLA wrote:
    Sea Change was amazing, I'm not sure I can get into Beck again after that. It's almost like once he opened the door and let flood out all those serious images and lyrics, I won't be able to get into his new albums if they feature Odelay-esque nonsensical lyrics. If I want Odelay, I'll listen to Odelay.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think this sounds much like Odelay...the lyrics for this album are my favorite part I think. Beck just doesn't really fall back on cliches, but I don't think the lyrics are nonsensical...he just doesn't write like other lyricists. After listening to this album a few times, and thinking about what he's saying, I get a pretty firm feeling on what Beck's trying to convey in each song, or at least the feeling he's trying to conjure.
  • Way better than Guero. I'm catching him in Nashville on the 13th.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    For you Beck fans, there's an interview with him at The Onion AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/content
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i guess i will be looking for this one at the record store. ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Bought it last night. All in all, this album is great. Guero was good, but this one (to me) is much better. Recommendations all around.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • digster wrote:
    I know my fair share about sad songs, thanks...Sea Change is an unbelievably sad album, detailing a breakup...but the subject matter of this album is much darker and much more dire. Sea Change was talking about one breakup, whereas most of Beck's lyrics here allude to some apocalyptic end of society as we know it. Listening to Motorcade, the Information, etc...makes me worried for the future. I think that's much darker.

But the music offsets that, kind of like Guero did (for example Girl, which juxtaposed a pop melody with lyrics about a serial killer).
    I know exactly what you're saying. I was kidding when I said "you don't know shit.." hence the little blue dude :p

I agree with you.

"Make our day"
  • i'm just not really feeling this one yet. sea change and mutations are leaps and bounds better. and guero is better.

i'd put this one on par with midnite vultures right now, which i do like more than odelay and mellow gold.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • CM1847 wrote:
    The first song is straight Odelay. Actual Odelay, not Guero-Odelay where it seemed like he was trying to replicate Odelay and came off slightly awkward. The bassline on "Think I'm In Love" sounds a lot like one from Guero, but I can't place which song it is at the moment....

Actually, I think I've pinpointed the bass line. Listen to "Rental Car," and then listen to "Think I'm In Love."
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Actually, I think I've pinpointed the bass line. Listen to "Rental Car," and then listen to "Think I'm In Love."

This bass line was lifted from some Motown stand-by -- I cannot put my finger on it, though. The Beastie Boys used it on Egg Man from Paul's Boutique too.

I love this new one! Real nice -- it's still sinking in...

Right up there with Mutations, Sea Change, Guero for me!

How about a round of applause for Hotwax, Debra, and Nobody's Fault But My Own, Canceled Check, End of the Day, and Earthquake Weather??
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    I have determined that "No Complaints" is his best song since "Lost Cause"
    i just got this, but haven't heard it yet! too much music but i know it's great ;) and the stickers are really awesome too.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    managed to get the version with a bonus track "Inside Out"
    overall love this album though compared to Beck's other releases,it's not one of his better ones imo.
    fave tracks so far are "No Complaints,Cellphone's Dead,Soldier Jane,The Information,Inside Out and 1000 BPM.
    not touched the sticker set yet as well..probably wont too hah..
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • What's the second disc anyway?

"Make our day"
  • i haven't heard anything from the information, but i was very disappointed with guero. i love odelay and liked sea change, so maybe i should check it out. but i'm wary because i find i am more often than not disappointed with his music.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    What's the second disc anyway?
    it's a dvd with videos for each track.

must say this album is growing on me very fast...liking it alot better now.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    i've loved all of beck's releases. and with each i find they grow on me after a few listens. so far i think this one is excellent! a kind of maturity not found in the other records, imo.