remember the Hives and the Vines?

edited May 2008 in Other Music
yeah, me either.

i thought they were supposed to be the next big thing. what happpened to them? I liked that one Hives album a little, but their other albums suck. And I thought i liked the Vines until i saw them on TV. the lead singer definately wins the prize for person i most want to punch in the face. What a Cobain clone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i still remember when The Strokes and At The Drive In were going to be the next big thing

still wondering when is supposed to happen exactly.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • The Strokes were the only ones who really made it through that scene. Really, they were all FAR too similar to make any sort of impact separate from each other. And crap. 'Cept the Strokes. Sometimes. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Well....
    The Hives are trying to make a bit of a comeback. They've played a few gigs recently and are doing the festival circuit this summer. I doubt they'll ever make it big, too gimmicky and not enough marketing sense.

The Vines I'm not too sure. A year or 2 ago they released some song that sounded totally unlike any other Vines song around (i.e. it didn't sound like Nirvana), which is usually a sign that they're about to be ditched by their record company and need to attract a new crowd... Whether they're still around or not, I'm not sure.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Actually, didn't the singer from the Vines get some condition that meant he couldn't play live for any significant amount of time or something? I feel kinda bad for them if that's the case. :o
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Actually, didn't the singer from the Vines get some condition that meant he couldn't play live for any significant amount of time or something? I feel kinda bad for them if that's the case. :o

yeah i think they had a run of bad luck with an illness or something.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Both horrible, gimmicky bands who never could've made it past their "time".
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I didn't realise they'd gone away, both bands still are touring and releasing albums, they both had there five minutes at the front of the mainstream, unfortunately, indie alternative is always a revolving door as to who is the next big thing, then a year later or so it's someone elses turn.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    the hives will live on, thanks to EMEKs posters...
    vines?
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    The Vines first album is damn good in my opinion....bought the second one and thought it sucked though. The singer, I believe, has ADD or something similiar...can't remember exactly but vaguely remember reading about it

The Hives I also own and like to some degree but definitely no staying power.

The Strokes sucked from the start
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    the vines singer has a functioning form of autism known as ausbergers (excuse my spelling). i had a class in college with a guy who had it and it makes them very socially awkward and to be honest. fucking obnoxious.

as far as the hives go. they could blow pearl jam off the stage. stateside they play pretty good sized venues but in europe and the rest of the world they play big venues (sell them out) and are typically one of the better draws at festivles.

now if mod punk is your thing then you'll love them. i think they're fantastic. and if you want to hear an amazing punk album listen to Barely Legal. jsut give it a chance.

*edit* and at the drive-in walked away on the verge of becoming one of the biggest bands in the world. they actually took music in a new direction as opposed to say..ripping off the who and neil young.
  • hobbes wrote:
    the vines singer has a functioning form of autism known as ausbergers (excuse my spelling). i had a class in college with a guy who had it and it makes them very socially awkward and to be honest. fucking obnoxious.

ahh that explains a lot. now i feel bad for wanting to punch him in the face. but he is obnoxious fo sho!
    hobbes wrote:
    as far as the hives go. they could blow pearl jam off the stage. stateside they play pretty good sized venues but in europe and the rest of the world they play big venues (sell them out) and are typically one of the better draws at festivles.
    Not really. They never play massive venues in the UK, few 1000 tops (average sized theatres). As for festivals, they're usually half way up the first or 2nd stage, not exactly a 'main draw'. The festival slots are only 40 minutes or so, the usual slot for bands that are kinda popular but only have 1 song people want to hear. They haven't even played any festivals for quite a few years (2005? maybe 2006).

All in all, their hype exploded after Hate To Say I Told You So and has slowly depreciated since then. Whether this 'come back' will work after being silent for a while is anyone's guess.
    Paul
  • I never liked The Hives myself, but The Vines' first two albums (and most of the b-sides) were great. The 2nd album saw them branch out more into the harmonizing and melodies that came to define their sound. The third album was ok at best...they showed growth in some areas, but I've just never found it to be enjoyable. The 4th album is slated for release this year. An album every 2 years indicates that the band has never disappeared at all.

The band changed directions and became more focused, delivering songs with more depth and meaning. And the choice to be accept a smaller, dedicated fanbase rather than TRYING to dumb down their music for broader appeal speaks highly of them. Reminds me of Pearl Jam after the success of their debut album.

As for the other things - it was the press that forced the comparisons to Nirvana...not the band or even their label. Also, the singer has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of autism, as someone noted before. Symptoms of Asperger's is often mistaken for the person being a dick, since it effects social functions.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    pjny wrote:
    As for the other things - it was the press that forced the comparisons to Nirvana...not the band or even their label.
    I'm sure the label had a small part to play in it. If you read the blurbs PR teams send out with promo CDs they always involve some tenuous reference to a big famous band. I doubt they would miss a trick with Vines, even if the band themselves didn't want that image portrayed.
    Paul
    fowls wrote:
    Not really. They never play massive venues in the UK, few 1000 tops (average sized theatres). As for festivals, they're usually half way up the first or 2nd stage, not exactly a 'main draw'. The festival slots are only 40 minutes or so, the usual slot for bands that are kinda popular but only have 1 song people want to hear. They haven't even played any festivals for quite a few years (2005? maybe 2006).

All in all, their hype exploded after Hate To Say I Told You So and has slowly depreciated since then. Whether this 'come back' will work after being silent for a while is anyone's guess.

from the short amount of research i did they play venues that hold upwards of 3500+ when they tour england. they sell those out. not that it's a huge venue but for a punk band thats a pretty damn good draw.
  • fowls wrote:
    I'm sure the label had a small part to play in it. If you read the blurbs PR teams send out with promo CDs they always involve some tenuous reference to a big famous band. I doubt they would miss a trick with Vines, even if the band themselves didn't want that image portrayed.

i dont think they had to play up anything. how could you hear a few of their songs and his voice and not think Nirvana? some are straight up knock offs.

I did like some of their stuff though, but mostly they were pretty forgettable to me.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    the Vines were the WORST band i ever saw.

it was like 5 years ago at a show with about 10 bands. they got boo'ed off the stage and people were throwing stuff at them.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    The Hives are still a pretty cool band but anyone see The Vines on Letterman a while back, here it is and it's interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBKm966ACdQ
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    The Hives may not be the greatest band since (insert greatest band's name here) but they are phenomenal live. Every band/artist, established or up and coming, should see at least one Hives show in their lifetime in order to understand and receive a block of instruction in the art of showmanship.

Yes, they make PJ look like amateurs on stage.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    the Vines were the WORST band i ever saw.

it was like 5 years ago at a show with about 10 bands. they got boo'ed off the stage and people were throwing stuff at them.

must have been an off night, cause ive seen the vines live twice fairly recently and i can tell you at the sydney BDO in january last year, they played what was one of the most hyper exhilarating gigs of my life. the entire crowd was one heaving mass of craziness. it was perfection.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • see_the_worldsee_the_world Posts: 172
    must have been an off night, cause ive seen the vines live twice fairly recently and i can tell you at the sydney BDO in january last year, they played what was one of the most hyper exhilarating gigs of my life. the entire crowd was one heaving mass of craziness. it was perfection.

Yeah, I've seen The Vines a few times here in the UK and even once at the Moore in Seattle in 2004. They've been good value every time, although strangely in Seattle there seemed to be more people at the gig to see Jet (who were supporting). Now THERE'S a next big thing that turned out to be a big pile of nothing very much.

Anyway, The Vines have put out three good albums so back off :-)
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • Anyway, The Vines have put out three good albums so back off :-)

... and The Vines are due to release a 'Best Of...' in the coming weeks.

I was considering buying it but i've already got Highly Evolved.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
    ... and The Vines are due to release a 'Best Of...' in the coming weeks.

I was considering buying it but i've already got Highly Evolved.

well tis already released here in oz. has been for a bit now. when i saw it i thought i was hallucinating. how the hell can a band with only three albums have a best of? ridiculous if you ask me and i love the vines. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • well tis already released here in oz. has been for a bit now. when i saw it i thought i was hallucinating. how the hell can a band with only three albums have a best of? ridiculous if you ask me and i love the vines. :D

Exactly. I was a big fan 'back in the day' but their last couple of records haven't really done it for me.

The 'Best Of' is actually already out here in the UK as well (it must've slipped me by, wonder why…?). Anyway, here's the track listing:

Get Free, Ride, Highly Evolved, Winning Days, Outtatheway, Autumn Shade, Autumn Shade II (eh?), Factory, Animal Machine, Don't Listen To The Radio, Vision Valley, Homesick, Fuck The World, Spaceship, Anysound, Sunchild.

Not exactly the best collection in the world is it? Still, Ride's a tune.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
    Exactly. I was a big fan 'back in the day' but their last couple of records haven't really done it for me.

The 'Best Of' is actually already out here in the UK as well (it must've slipped me by, wonder why…?). Anyway, here's the track listing:

Get Free, Ride, Highly Evolved, Winning Days, Outtatheway, Autumn Shade, Autumn Shade II (eh?), Factory, Animal Machine, Don't Listen To The Radio, Vision Valley, Homesick, Fuck The World, Spaceship, Anysound, Sunchild.

Not exactly the best collection in the world is it? Still, Ride's a tune.

i still am a fan. ive liked all three of their albums cause they challenge me. theyre not the usual fare and tis what ive come to expect from the vines. i appreciate that. i could say they were my guilty pleasure but i dont feel guilt in acknowledging my love for them. of course i might be a little biased cause theyre local boys... but hey... whatever. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • see_the_worldsee_the_world Posts: 172
    i still am a fan. ive liked all three of their albums cause they challenge me. theyre not the usual fare and tis what ive come to expect from the vines. i appreciate that. i could say they were my guilty pleasure but i dont feel guilt in acknowledging my love for them. of course i might be a little biased cause theyre local boys... but hey... whatever. :D

Ignore the snobs who try to tell you what's cool and what's not. Nobody should ever feel guilty about liking music. Ever.

And especially not The Vines :-)
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
    Ignore the snobs who try to tell you what's cool and what's not. Nobody should ever feel guilty about liking music. Ever.

And especially not The Vines :-)

well have no fear, i am hardly someone who actually listens to what other people have to say. besides i dont need any lessons in whats cool. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    dharma69 wrote:
    The Hives may not be the greatest band since (insert greatest band's name here) but they are phenomenal live. Every band/artist, established or up and coming, should see at least one Hives show in their lifetime in order to understand and receive a block of instruction in the art of showmanship.

Yes, they make PJ look like amateurs on stage.

exactly! everyone. and i mean EVERYONE. should see the hives at least once. howlin' pelle is the best front man in music right now. not to mention how fucking talented they are as musicians.
  • how the hell can a band with only three albums have a best of? ridiculous if you ask me

Aah, the business of music. Best-of's are usually released for one of the following reasons:

1. Fulfillment of contract - bands looking to finish a contract and move on to another label will often submit a best of.

2. Old label trying to capitalize on band's new release on a different label

3. Reminder or image correction - If a band has been on hiatus for while or there's a negative perception about the band itself, a label will often release a best of to remind old fans and draw in new fans about the band and the music, get the press focusing on some positives again...and create awareness of the upcoming release of a new album. In the case of The Vines, most of the press in the past 2 years has been about the Asperger's meltdown and it's negative effect on the band.

Just a note, when best-of's are "carefully handpicked and painstakingly re-mastered" by the band/producer, which has become the increasingly cool way to market many best-of's...that usually just means the band is looking to finish off its contract and a best-of will suffice. Of course there are always exceptions
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    pjny wrote:
    Aah, the business of music. Best-of's are usually released for one of the following reasons:

1. Fulfillment of contract - bands looking to finish a contract and move on to another label will often submit a best of.

2. Old label trying to capitalize on band's new release on a different label

3. Reminder or image correction - If a band has been on hiatus for while or there's a negative perception about the band itself, a label will often release a best of to remind old fans and draw in new fans about the band and the music, get the press focusing on some positives again...and create awareness of the upcoming release of a new album. In the case of The Vines, most of the press in the past 2 years has been about the Asperger's meltdown and it's negative effect on the band.

Just a note, when best-of's are "carefully handpicked and painstakingly re-mastered" by the band/producer, which has become the increasingly cool way to market many best-of's...that usually just means the band is looking to finish off its contract and a best-of will suffice. Of course there are always exceptions

for multi album deals "best of" albums are usually a contractual obligation.