The Beatles - LOVE

i_am_a_wishlisti_am_a_wishlist Posts: 628
edited January 2007 in Other Music
How fantastic is this album. Damn the mixing is mint. Oh an the acoustic/string version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps is to die for. I love the Beatles so much. Probably the best band ever.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    How fantastic is this album. Damn the mixing is mint. Oh an the acoustic/string version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps is to die for. I love the Beatles so much. Probably the best band ever.

No probably about it. I don't think that I'll get it. I think that it a glorifying of the george martin and son . more so than the beatles.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    fada wrote:
    No probably about it. I don't think that I'll get it. I think that it a glorifying of the george martin and son . more so than the beatles.

That's right...just heard it...to me it's not that good...just another greatest hits with some spiritual stuff in between...waste of spending your money
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Yeah, I love the Beatles, but this release is a waste. The mashing of songs just doesn't work for me. If I wanted to hear 2 beatles songs at one time, I would just play two different cd's. They're trying to peddle copies now with the whole "over 100 songs are there if you listen for 'em", but they don't tell you that there is nothing a Beatles fan has not heard before.
  • theres a couple threads about this, defnitely good stuff.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Works just fine for me. First time ever actually being able to hear these tunes in 5.1, and they are fucking amazing. With the right system it EXLODES out of the speakers, like these songs never have.

Of course this doesn't replace the original songs in any way. What I'm hoping is this is a teaser for the canon being redone finally in 5.1.

I had all of the albums on vinyl, and I bought several on tape. Then I bought them all on cd. I bought this cd, and certainly don't feel like I'm wasting any money whatsoever. I'll also be buying them all again in 5.1, when they are released.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yep, worth it for the 5.1 mix alone.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • I think it's great. It really showcases the fact that their music is timeless.
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I love it. It just is the Beatles, but produced differently. George Martin did it originally and he made it better here or at least in another way. We all know that PJ can sound different at each concert or sound different from released recordings. I really enjoyed this. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Has to be heard to be understood.
    If you're a Beatles fan, then you will love this!

If you're not, then ... there's something wrong with you ... : )
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    what is 5.1? i truly wonder if that makes any difference. the flaming lips have been redoing all their albums in 5.1 and releasing them and charging $10 more per album. is it really going to make a difference to me playing it on my boombox at home? im not exactly an audiophile. i cant even tell the difference between mp3 quality and cd quality.
    Not sure what 5.1 is. It started as a production for the Mirage in Las Vegas by George Harrison. Clips from the cd itself - The idea was to "create a soundscape of around one and a half hour's length using any sound I needed from the original Beatles multi-track recordings." "Everything they had done was recorded live, without a click and often all on one track, so the best approach was to recreate a performance that only happened in the studio but present it to an audience as though it were live." "The only new recordings are the strings on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    5.1 is a codec for surround sound.

As for the album, I think it's an interesting concept. To me, the more interesting part of it is hearing the other pieces of music that have been mixed in with the original lyrics, and considering how the messages for those songs compliment or juxtapose the song that the elements have been mixed into

The Beatles were fans of musique concrete. Inthat regard, Love is a natural extension of their more experimental side.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    enharmonic wrote:

As for the album, I think it's an interesting concept. To me, the more interesting part of it is hearing the other pieces of music that have been mixed in with the original lyrics, and considering how the messages for those songs compliment or juxtapose the song that the elements have been mixed into

The Beatles were fans of musique concrete. Inthat regard, Love is a natural extension of their more experimental side.

Very well-said.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    enharmonic wrote:

Yep. It just means the album is produced for set-ups that have 5 speakers and a subwoofer. If you're just playing it out of a two-speaker computer, CD player, headphones, whatever... it won't make a noticeable difference.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'm am loving this album as well. I think I read somewhere that it is like what the Beatles would have sounded like if they recorded their music today
  • this is the album from the cirde(whatever) vegas show, right? im in vegas for a couple of weeks, may be i should go, has anyone seen it?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • i just realized i didn't get this for xmas. i thought for sure i'd get it. not that i didn't get enough stuff for xmas. i'm just surprised no one got it for me because i fully expected to. i'll have to go down and buy this soon.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • I just heard it today, absoutley love it. Get Back sounds killer.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I-Am-Mine wrote:
    I'm am loving this album as well. I think I read somewhere that it is like what the Beatles would have sounded like if they recorded their music today

Pretty Much.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonic wrote:

This is just a fancy way of saying they did a lot of drugs and just happened to have a recording studio at their disposal.....case in point...Revolution 9.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    i just realized i didn't get this for xmas. i thought for sure i'd get it. not that i didn't get enough stuff for xmas. i'm just surprised no one got it for me because i fully expected to. i'll have to go down and buy this soon.

You must have been naughty.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • This is just a fancy way of saying they did a lot of drugs and just happened to have a recording studio at their disposal.....case in point...Revolution 9.

they were musically creative and ambitious before they were doing drugs. the drugs only ehanced it. and revolution 9 is an easy target. you can't come up with much more than that.
  • wolfbear wrote:
    I love it. It just is the Beatles, but produced differently. George Martin did it originally and he made it better here or at least in another way. We all know that PJ can sound different at each concert or sound different from released recordings. I really enjoyed this. :)

i like it...makes it a bit fresh/new...but don't know if i *love* it. the sound quality, definitely superb.....but yea, maybe i am a purist...like things as is....dunno. still been listening to it like mad tho, so it's definitely a cool mix either way.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• i've been vacillating back and forth on getting this. i'm intrigued, but i'm also a bit of a purist too. i was hoping someone would get it for me for xmas so i wouldn't have to make the decision haha
  • You must have been naughty.

naw, i just got spoiled with pearl jam this year. so that's ok! ; )
  • i've been vacillating back and forth on getting this. i'm intrigued, but i'm also a bit of a purist too. i was hoping someone would get it for me for xmas so i wouldn't have to make the decision haha

well look at what we have here - so YOU were the naughty one!! hahaha.
    i like it...makes it a bit fresh/new...but don't know if i *love* it. the sound quality, definitely superb.....but yea, maybe i am a purist...like things as is....dunno. still been listening to it like mad tho, so it's definitely a cool mix either way.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's better, just different. Actually, maybe better in some ways, only due to advances in recording, but it will never replace the originals. What I loved I guess is just hearing the songs in a different way. Kind of like my example of how we get to hear PJ in a different way due to the live concerts. It is nice to hear a "new" Beatles and one that I think they would be proud of. :)
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    well look at what we have here - so YOU were the naughty one!! hahaha.
    :o haha
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's better, just different. Actually, maybe better in some ways, only due to advances in recording, but it will never replace the originals. What I loved I guess is just hearing the songs in a different way. Kind of like my example of how we get to hear PJ in a different way due to the live concerts. It is nice to hear a "new" Beatles and one that I think they would be proud of. :)

sure.
    agree on all counts. it is different, and i enjoy it for being different....but still...part of me can't escape from the originals. in fact, i will say the first opening track annoys me. the long pauses...infuriating! :p also, i am so accustomed to certain tunes following others, it definitely throws me off. i do LIKE it though, and i like some of the mixing of tunes, or the layering of tunes...other music...etc. i can't stop listening to it, so that says something. eh, i just adore the beatles, no matter how you slice it. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• :o haha

that's ok. you got everything else you wanted, right??