Any Peter Gabriel fans here?

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I was driving home late the other night and popped in "Up" that I bought on a whim on vacation. I was totally blown away at the lyrical depth and musical complexity. One of those personal musical moments that transcends the listener.

Problem is, I don't know where to start filling out the rest of my PG catalogue. I'm familiar with the hits ala "Big Time", "Sledgehammer", & "Steam" but as a new fan I'd love some opinions/insight from anyone.

I know I should could ask this on Gabriel's site forum but I wanted to get some more objective opinions if that makes any sense.

Thanks to all of you in advance!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i am. i will always love the lamb lies down on broadway by genesis. that's when i discovered he is great.

just go to petergabriel.com for tunes.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • all of his cds are great

get SO
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    kdpjam wrote:
    i am. i will always love the lamb lies down on broadway by genesis. that's when i discovered he is great.

just go to petergabriel.com for tunes.
    Can't go wrong with "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"...........but if it is solo Gabriel that you seek, I would mention the two disc greatest hits collection titled Hit (subtitled Miss). All of the better known tunes, plus a disc of lesser known efforts.

The "Growing Up Live" and the "Still Growing Up Live" dvds are also well worth the time, effort and cash to acquire.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • thanx a lot all!
    thanx a lot all!
    You're welcome................I do believe that all of Peter's catalogue has been re-mastered...........I've had a difficult time finding the re-masters in stores, so good luck.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • StellyStelly Posts: 170
    Definitely get "So" and "Us." I REALLY love "Us."
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Stelly wrote:
    Definitely get "So" and "Us." I REALLY love "Us."

Yes...."US" is brilliant! :-)
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    A little more obscure, but Gabriels soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ is brilliant.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    not a really big fan or anything but solsbury hill is a truly fantastic song.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i like...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    merkinball wrote:
    A little more obscure, but Gabriels soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ is brilliant.
    Better known as "Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ"

He also did the music for "Rabbit Proof Fence"......have not listened to that one yet.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    IMO, Up is his masterpiece. It's just brilliant.

As others have mentioned, So and Us are must haves for getting into his stuff. I'd especially recommend those as you appear to be getting into him through Up. If your were an old-school Genesis fan, then I'd recommend his earlier stuff first, probably, but you don't seem to be. Or you could just get the hits compilation 'Hit', and get a relatively decent overview of his solo work.

Passion is amazing, but is of course mostly instrumental. Long Walk Home (the Rabbit Proof Fence score) is amazing as well, but again, mostly instrumental. You need to have an appreciation for that type of music. I do, so I love them, but many do not. If you were to get either of these, I'd probably recommend Long Walk Home first, only because there are elements of Up that you hear during the course of the CD and you will be somewhat familiar with them.

If you do check out the DVDs, you may want to listen to his CD 'Ovo' as well, as there is quite a few tracks from that. He isn't the featured performer on most of those tracks, but the music is fascinating.
    AndySlash wrote:
    you may want to listen to his CD 'Ovo' as well, as there is quite a few tracks from that. He isn't the featured performer on most of those tracks, but the music is fascinating.
    He performs "Downside Up" from Ovo on the "Growing Live DVD, and it is included on the Miss cd from "Hit". Great song..........his daughter, Melanie, sings it with him on both versions. She knocks it out of the park in IMHO.
    tybird wrote:
    He performs "Downside Up" from Ovo on the "Growing Live DVD, and it is included on the Miss cd from "Hit". Great song..........his daughter, Melanie, sings it with him on both versions. She knocks it out of the park in IMHO.

I never get tired of telling this story, so I'll do it again...

I saw him on the Growing Up tour in 2002 here in Minneapolis. When he introduced Melanie, I yelled, "I LOVE YOU MELANIE!". He actually responded, saying, "Shhh... her father's listening". I have a boot and it's pretty much crytal clear. I play it for friends and they just shake their heads. But that's not all. If you watch his tour documentary DVD called 'Growing Up Live- A Family Portrait', he actually mentions this incident on the DVD. They show him outside the arena, his breath fogging as he's breathing (it was November here, so it was coooold). He's talking about Melanie and he says, "and someone tonight yelled 'I love you Melanie Gabriel!" Melanie walks by and chides him for, "cramping my style". When I saw this for the first time, I was so excited. It was a cool moment for me.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    AndySlash wrote:

I saw him on the Growing Up tour in 2002 here in Minneapolis. When he introduced Melanie, I yelled, "I LOVE YOU MELANIE!". He actually responded, saying, "Shhh... her father's listening". I have a boot and it's pretty much crytal clear. I play it for friends and they just shake their heads. But that's not all. If you watch his tour documentary DVD called 'Growing Up Live- A Family Portrait', he actually mentions this incident on the DVD. They show him outside the arena, his breath fogging as he's breathing (it was November here, so it was coooold). He's talking about Melanie and he says, "and someone tonight yelled 'I love you Melanie Gabriel!" Melanie walks by and chides him for, "cramping my style". When I saw this for the first time, I was so excited. It was a cool moment for me.

nice story.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    AndySlash wrote:

Yeah.........that rocks. Not only can she sing............but, she's pretty easy on the eyes, if you know what I mean. :D
  • Thanx again to you all for all the info/opinions. I ordered Us, So & Growing Up live dvd. I'm still amazed at how well Up flows as a cohesive album.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i didn't realize p.g. was such a wild ass with his costumes and all. you should see some of the old genesis videos.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    kdpjam wrote:
    i didn't realize p.g. was such a wild ass with his costumes and all. you should see some of the old genesis videos.
    The Fox on the Rocks is one of my favs...............I wish they had or could officially release a video of the "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" tour. They performed the whole album, and he did numerous costume changes for that. They did release a live cd of one of those shows.............the sound is amazing.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I recommend his third solo album. It's the one with his face melting on the cover.
    I saw him on the SO tour - 11/12/86. It was an excellent show.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm JUST getting into him.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    If any of you on this board are into vinyl, Classic Records has 200g reissues of much of his catalog -- they sound absolutely stunning. I have the first four of his solo plus 'Lamb...' from these reissues. The guy is awesome. And to those who liked Up -- I agree -- caught the show in Detroit on that tour. But if I could only have one of his (or how about three) I would take 1) Security 2) Car/Rain 3) Us.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    dirt wrote:
    If any of you on this board are into vinyl, Classic Records has 200g reissues of much of his catalog -- they sound absolutely stunning. I have the first four of his solo plus 'Lamb...' The guy is awesome. And to those who liked Up -- I agree -- caught the show in Detroit on that tour.
    The "Lamb" on vinyl............now that sounds sweet.........complete packaging???
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    tybird wrote:
    The "Lamb" on vinyl............now that sounds sweet.........complete packaging???

Yes!!!!!! I think it's on B/O from the Classic Records site, but I buy a lot from this site in Chicago called Music Direct:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/category.asp?category=1030

There are a few really good eBay dealers for new vinyl, but I always go here first (plus they send out a sweet catalog every quarter).

I think LLDoB is a top three all-time for me...
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    Anybody heard any news about a new album from Peter?

Yes, Dirt, The "Lamb" is one of the all-time greats IMHO too. "Selling England by The Pound" is also a great record despite the one Phil Collins tune on it.
    tybird wrote:
    Anybody heard any news about a new album from Peter?

Other than that it is supposedly called I/O, nothing. There's always stuff about him working on it, but with him, you just don't know when things will actually be out. I remember hearing 'I Grieve' for the first time on the City of Angels soundtrack (which I think was his first new music in some time back then) and being real excited about the possibility of a new album soon. Well, it turned out to be 3-4 years later that that excitement was able to be acted on.
    AndySlash wrote:
    Other than that it is supposedly called I/O, nothing. There's always stuff about him working on it, but with him, you just don't know when things will actually be out. I remember hearing 'I Grieve' for the first time on the City of Angels soundtrack (which I think was his first new music in some time back then) and being real excited about the possibility of a new album soon. Well, it turned out to be 3-4 years later that that excitement was able to be acted on.
    I just remember seeing a blurb in Rolling Stone mentioning a new album from him this year.............Hey, I'm a long-time Kate Bush fan..........I know about waiting. :)
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yefa wrote:
    I recommend his third solo album. It's the one with his face melting on the cover.
    I saw him on the SO tour - 11/12/86. It was an excellent show.

I saw the (what I think was) the last date of the So tour in Los Angeles, Sports Arena I think. That was an excellent show, the theatrics and lighting were amazing.

On another note, I just found out that there is a bootleg of outtakes from the Passion sessions available. I'll have to search that out.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    OMG, how did i ever miss this thread?! thank you tybird for bringing it to my attention, i have been remiss with the other music forum as of late...all sucked into given to fly/the porch with the euro tour. anyhooooo...

peter fecking' gabriel is THE man! master lyricist and brilliant musician, continually to amaze me, pushes the envelope, challenges himself and his listeners....just pure feckin' amazement time and again.

what album to get? ALL OF THEM! seriously, not a bad one in the bunch...in fact, quite the contrary...each and every one will knock your socks off.....including passion...the soundtrack to the film the last temptation of christ. i ADORE every album, he is just THAT good. if i was absolutely forced to choose a favorite, i'd have to say Us.....and least fave So...mostly b/c it seems his most 'commercial'...but seriously, they are ALL fantastic! his first album may be the more difficult/challenging for the casual listener to get into....but it's well worth it. his latest, Up....gorgeous.

i seriously cannot praise this man's work enough. :D

and...and....and.....the epitome of brilliance, imho of course.....early genesis with gabriel at the helm...the lamb lies down on broadway. if the rumored reunion were to happen, and i could hear the lamb live, with the original genesis.....*faints*

ok, think i yammered on enough for the time being. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

OMG, how did i ever miss this thread?! thank you tybird for bringing it to my attention, i have been remiss with the other music forum as of late...all sucked into given to fly/the porch with the euro tour. anyhooooo...

peter fecking' gabriel is THE man! master lyricist and brilliant musician, continually to amaze me, pushes the envelope, challenges himself and his listeners....just pure feckin' amazement time and again.

what album to get? ALL OF THEM! seriously, not a bad one in the bunch...in fact, quite the contrary...each and every one will knock your socks off.....including passion...the soundtrack to the film the last temptation of christ. i ADORE every album, he is just THAT good. if i was absolutely forced to choose a favorite, i'd have to say Us.....and least fave So...mostly b/c it seems his most 'commercial'...but seriously, they are ALL fantastic! his first album may be the more difficult/challenging for the casual listener to get into....but it's well worth it. his latest, Up....gorgeous.

i seriously cannot praise this man's work enough. :D

and...and....and.....the epitome of brilliance, imho of course.....early genesis with gabriel at the helm...the lamb lies down on broadway. if the rumored reunion were to happen, and i could hear the lamb live, with the original genesis.....*faints*

ok, think i yammered on enough for the time being. :p

Yes, yes..........a Genesis reunion tour with Peter on lead vocals would be devine..........maybe he would wear the costumes.........."The Lamb" live again.........maybe even "Supper's Ready"........or "Cinema Show"...and keep tape on Phil Collins' mouth and his ass at the drum kit.