Rolling Stone mag reviews R.E.M.'s Accelerate

2»

Comments

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I've yet to hear the album.....

too much of a traditionalist, gonna wait unti it's released lol :D

But man, you guys are getting me excited :D
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    finally a record to pick up.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Lol.
    Well i almost agree about NAIHF, it is definately one of their strongest albums. Honest truth it actually loses a few notches in my book for just being TOO accessible. That album had, what, 6 or 7 singles on it? Yikes! You go back and listen to it, and I end up skipping half of the album because i've heard those songs overplayed so many dang times. Its as bad as Ten. lol.

About "Until The Day Is Done" i just can't agree. I actually thought it was one of the strongest songs on the album.

My biggest criticism of it is, like Monster and NAIHF, it is just a bit too "flashy" for me. It almost lends it a "cheap" feeling, a disposable music type quality. I can't really describe it, but it is in the quality of some of those riffs, and it lessens the experience for me just a slight bit.

I would almost argue that Up is in fact the stronger effort, but i do like that some of the songs on Accelerate are clearly more IRS-era REM in their appregiated, un-fuzzed-guitar-tone song structure.

I think where the common ground among everyone in this thread is, is that this album is -- hands down -- MUCH better than the last two efforts, and THAT is something we can all smile about.

:D

Like i said in the other thread, for a band in to the end of its 3rd decade, with members in their 50s, you can't freaking complain.

REM has maintained its youthful exuberance and feel more so than any other band i could ever think of, and i'm glad to have a bit of that "old" feeling back. I was starting to think the boys had lost themselves to the soul-less drum-machine era post-alt-rock synth-pop sound that radiohead had infected them with, and its nice to know they can still record music with substance and organic personality!

yay!

I think you've just summed up what I've been trying to explain to myself for years :p. "Flashy" is a good word to describe some of R.E.M's work and I think it's apparent on this album. It seems, I dunno, like rock-lite?

I've love to hear Stipe's voice in something other than typical alternative rock songs. Any reccomendations?
  • muppet wrote:
    I think you've just summed up what I've been trying to explain to myself for years :p. "Flashy" is a good word to describe some of R.E.M's work and I think it's apparent on this album. It seems, I dunno, like rock-lite?

I've love to hear Stipe's voice in something other than typical alternative rock songs. Any reccomendations?

pick up their covers album from 1987 called "Dead Letter Office"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    "until the day is done" sounds almost identical to "Swan Swan H" off of Life's Rich Pageant (my favorite R.E.M. album), .

I thought the exact same thing when I heard the opening guitar chords

.....sounds alot like "Swan Swan H" mixed with a bit of "Sweetness Follows" (in fact I found myself singing Sweetness Follows in my head the first few times I listened to the song)......not that i'm complaining (really enjoying the album as a whole)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    I thought the exact same thing when I heard the opening guitar chords

.....sounds alot like "Swan Swan H" mixed with a bit of "Sweetness Follows" (in fact I found myself singing Sweetness Follows in my head the first few times I listened to the song)......not that i'm complaining (really enjoying the album as a whole)

you know.
    now i agree with ya'll.

I was so confused.
    Having just listened to the album again,
    it does sound like Swan Swan, in the banjo-y guitar parts, and the strings do reminisce of Sweetness Follows.

When i said, "sounds like 'Hope' from Up to me", i was confused, and thinking of "Mr. Richards" which does very much remind me of "Hope".

As to Bladworth's comment about Dead Letter Office, that is a fine album for some non-flashy REM, but it is NOT a "covers" album ... it was just an collection of unreleased works ... which happened to contain a good few covers: Aerosmith, Roger Miller, Velvet Underground.

But the song on that album, "Ages of You" is one of my all time favorite REM songs ... and to be honest, one of my all time favorite songs, period.

"Pristine Indigo Without!"

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    But how do I open a compressed file?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    whulmef wrote:
    But how do I open a compressed file?

What type of file is it? Zip? RAR?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    What and you don't think it's a coincidence that Oasis have been heading downhill ever since their debut?

With the exception of DBTT, I think their albums are all pretty solid. Sure they arent flawless but they continue to make great songs.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    With the exception of DBTT, I think their albums are all pretty solid. Sure they arent flawless but they continue to make great songs.

Nice little side step there, nothing they have produced in the last decade has been as good as their earlier stuff.
    Nice little side step there, nothing they have produced in the last decade has been as good as their earlier stuff.

Its pretty hard to beat the first two records considering they were two of the best records of the 90's but SOTSOG is an amazing record with the exception of a few songs. Some of their best work has come from their other records.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Its pretty hard to beat the first two records considering they were two of the best records of the 90's but SOTSOG is an amazing record with the exception of a few songs. Some of their best work has come from their other records.

Well I'm sure you and a handful of uber-fans think that, but the rest of us remain unconvinced.
    Well I'm sure you and a handful of uber-fans think that, but the rest of us remain unconvinced.

Thats fine, your loss
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Thats fine, your loss

I like how people who don't like Oasis records are missing out on a huge, vital part of music history, and you, who as far as I can recall, hasn't enjoyed a single album in the last three months, just has high standards. :rolleyes:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    DOSW wrote:
    I'm not a huge REM fan... but I think the new single of theirs is pretty boring and standard. But that's just me.

My feelings exactly.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    REM = yuk
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all