Rolling Stone mag reviews R.E.M.'s Accelerate

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited March 2008 in Other Music

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    They already decided it was 4 stars before they heard it just like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are always 5 stars no matter how good the record is.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    the album deserves all of the praise it is going to get in the coming weeks. it is fucking unbelievable.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the album deserves all of the praise it is going to get in the coming weeks. it is fucking unbelievable.

exactly.....fricke's review is pretty dead on....:)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Great review, hits the nail on the head. It really is great to have them back on such amazing form.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I know I'm in the minority but I really didn't like this album. Only good tracks were Hollow Man and I'm Gonna DJ, and even that's a stretch.
  • They already decided it was 4 stars before they heard it just like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are always 5 stars no matter how good the record is.

And it sounds like you've decided its overrated without listening to it either.

A great man once wrote if you hate something don't you do it too.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • They already decided it was 4 stars before they heard it just like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are always 5 stars no matter how good the record is.

I haven't heard "Accelerate" yet but I have heard "Standing on the Shoulder's of Giants" & "Don't believe the Truth".
    They already decided it was 4 stars before they heard it just like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are always 5 stars no matter how good the record is.

They only gave their last album 3 stars, so clearly they do listen before they review.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    They only gave their last album 3 stars, so clearly they do listen before they review.

I liked the last record but this one totally has an urgency that has been lacking since the Berry years. Even if I'm gonna DJ seems to cluttered it's still a sweet song and I'm sure will sound as good live as it did when they toured around the sun
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    How very ignorant, but I can't say i'm surprised. As someone else has pointed out, Around The Sun only got three stars, and was generally a widely slated album. Typically the last three REM albums get bad reviews, so if anything it's a nice change to see them get a good review. And if you have heard the album, you'll see WHY it's got a good review, because it's an f'ing good album.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I am verrrrrry excited now!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    listening right now for the first time......it's EXCELLENT!!!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I liked the last record but this one totally has an urgency that has been lacking since the Berry years. Even if I'm gonna DJ seems to cluttered it's still a sweet song and I'm sure will sound as good live as it did when they toured around the sun

I totally agree. I'm just utterly bowled over by this record. The past three have had their moments, but it just seemed like they didn't know what sort of album they wanted to make. This one is so focused yet still varied, and it has a very clear identity.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm not a huge REM fan... but I think the new single of theirs is pretty boring and standard. But that's just me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    I believe that Around the Sun was the first R.E.M. album to get less than 4 stars, and rightfully so. They gave Up a good review, and it earned it. If they gave reveal a good review, 4 stars i think, it is probably a stretch. David Fricke is a great reviewer though, especially for R.E.M., he knows his shit.

As far as bruce and bob being overated, bruce's last two and bob's last three were all classics, and they were rated as such. However, as I appear to have chosen the other side, I will admit that Rolling Stone has its favorettes, which include these three.
    whulmef wrote:
    I believe that Around the Sun was the first R.E.M. album to get less than 4 stars, and rightfully so. They gave Up a good review, and it earned it. If they gave reveal a good review, 4 stars i think, it is probably a stretch. David Fricke is a great reviewer though, especially for R.E.M., he knows his shit.

As far as bruce and bob being overated, bruce's last two and bob's last three were all classics, and they were rated as such. However, as I appear to have chosen the other side, I will admit that Rolling Stone has its favorettes, which include these three.

I think it has to do with the fact that their music has a lot of integrity, it's kind of a respect thing I guess. But as has been proven, they won't hand out a five star review if they genuinely don't think it is deserving.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Accelerate sounds like the true follow up to New Adventures in Hi Fi (their best record IMHO). It is almost like the last 3 didn't even happen (and I liked Up).

The record is better because there is less. And my only criticism is that it would have been an even better record if it was even shorter (Until the Day is Done sounds like an Around the Sun outtake, it just doesn't belong).
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Accelerate sounds like the true follow up to New Adventures in Hi Fi (their best record IMHO). It is almost like the last 3 didn't even happen (and I liked Up).

The record is better because there is less. And my only criticism is that it would have been an even better record if it was even shorter (Until the Day is Done sounds like an Around the Sun outtake, it just doesn't belong).

Lol.
    Well i almost agree about NAIHF, it is definately one of their strongest albums. Honest truth it actually loses a few notches in my book for just being TOO accessible. That album had, what, 6 or 7 singles on it? Yikes! You go back and listen to it, and I end up skipping half of the album because i've heard those songs overplayed so many dang times. Its as bad as Ten. lol.

About "Until The Day Is Done" i just can't agree. I actually thought it was one of the strongest songs on the album.

My biggest criticism of it is, like Monster and NAIHF, it is just a bit too "flashy" for me. It almost lends it a "cheap" feeling, a disposable music type quality. I can't really describe it, but it is in the quality of some of those riffs, and it lessens the experience for me just a slight bit.

I would almost argue that Up is in fact the stronger effort, but i do like that some of the songs on Accelerate are clearly more IRS-era REM in their appregiated, un-fuzzed-guitar-tone song structure.

I think where the common ground among everyone in this thread is, is that this album is -- hands down -- MUCH better than the last two efforts, and THAT is something we can all smile about.

:D

Like i said in the other thread, for a band in to the end of its 3rd decade, with members in their 50s, you can't freaking complain.

REM has maintained its youthful exuberance and feel more so than any other band i could ever think of, and i'm glad to have a bit of that "old" feeling back. I was starting to think the boys had lost themselves to the soul-less drum-machine era post-alt-rock synth-pop sound that radiohead had infected them with, and its nice to know they can still record music with substance and organic personality!

yay!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Lol.
    Well i almost agree about NAIHF, it is definately one of their strongest albums. Honest truth it actually loses a few notches in my book for just being TOO accessible. That album had, what, 6 or 7 singles on it? Yikes! You go back and listen to it, and I end up skipping half of the album because i've heard those songs overplayed so many dang times. Its as bad as Ten. lol.

About "Until The Day Is Done" i just can't agree. I actually thought it was one of the strongest songs on the album.

My biggest criticism of it is, like Monster and NAIHF, it is just a bit too "flashy" for me. It almost lends it a "cheap" feeling, a disposable music type quality. I can't really describe it, but it is in the quality of some of those riffs, and it lessens the experience for me just a slight bit.

I would almost argue that Up is in fact the stronger effort, but i do like that some of the songs on Accelerate are clearly more IRS-era REM in their appregiated, un-fuzzed-guitar-tone song structure.

I think where the common ground among everyone in this thread is, is that this album is -- hands down -- MUCH better than the last two efforts, and THAT is something we can all smile about.

:D

Like i said in the other thread, for a band in to the end of its 3rd decade, with members in their 50s, you can't freaking complain.

REM has maintained its youthful exuberance and feel more so than any other band i could ever think of, and i'm glad to have a bit of that "old" feeling back. I was starting to think the boys had lost themselves to the soul-less drum-machine era post-alt-rock synth-pop sound that radiohead had infected them with, and its nice to know they can still record music with substance and organic personality!

yay!

"until the day is done" sounds almost identical to "Swan Swan H" off of Life's Rich Pageant (my favorite R.E.M. album), which i think sounds like a sped up version of John Lennon's "working class hero." this is not a bad thing though, i love all these songs.

the album is so incredible though. i have listened to it about 10 times and i cant get over how good it is. i think it sounds like it could have come out right after Life's Rich Pageant. gets better each time i listen to it. everyone needs to listen to this album. many times.
  • "until the day is done" sounds almost identical to "Swan Swan H" off of Life's Rich Pageant (my favorite R.E.M. album), which i think sounds like a sped up version of John Lennon's "working class hero." this is not a bad thing though, i love all these songs.

I didn't get that at all ... but maybe i'll try again with that in mind. Not seeing it though. I think it actualy sounded a bit like "Hope" off of Up, at least some of the vocal bits. ;)
    i think it sounds like it could have come out right after Life's Rich Pageant.

i agree with this, by and large.
    the song structures sure do have a similar quality.
    only major difference that dates it way far from LRP is the ultra-modern distortion tones ... i don't think there was one truly distorted guitar on all of LRP.

Its just an exaggeration but they really are notorious for giving albums good reviews because of who they are, because its political, or because its trendy. Besides for a few songs, I find REM quite boring but they are critically acclaimed so it doesnt surprise me that it got a good review from them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Besides for a few songs, I find REM quite boring

and yet, you seem to really like oasis.
    ;)
    and yet, you seem to really like oasis.
    ;)

Your gonna need a better insult than that
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Your gonna need a better insult than that

i think i was just pointing out the obvious that its all a matter of taste.
    you were trying to imply that Rolling Stone Mag giving REM good reviews was indicative of their bias, because you find REM boring, yet the "critics" just love them ...

... while i completely agree that Rolling Stones reviews are utter bullshit on the whole, just because you don't groove on REM doesn't mean that htey are just cow-towing to a big name band.

The obvious comment to draw from your post to make this reference was that lots of people find Oasis to be quite boring and overrated.

How did Rolling Stones review their albums?
    ;)
    I didn't get that at all ... but maybe i'll try again with that in mind. Not seeing it though. I think it actualy sounded a bit like "Hope" off of Up, at least some of the vocal bits. ;)

i agree with this, by and large.
    the song structures sure do have a similar quality.
    only major difference that dates it way far from LRP is the ultra-modern distortion tones ... i don't think there was one truly distorted guitar on all of LRP.

its actually just the opening guitar part that reminds me of them, but thats just me. i could be crazy, idk.
    i think i was just pointing out the obvious that its all a matter of taste.
    you were trying to imply that Rolling Stone Mag giving REM good reviews was indicative of their bias, because you find REM boring, yet the "critics" just love them ...

... while i completely agree that Rolling Stones reviews are utter bullshit on the whole, just because you don't groove on REM doesn't mean that htey are just cow-towing to a big name band.

The obvious comment to draw from your post to make this reference was that lots of people find Oasis to be quite boring and overrated.

How did Rolling Stones review their albums?
    ;)

They jumped on the bandwagon of loving them at first and then hating them when there was a backlash. Typical Rolling Stone fashion.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• They jumped on the bandwagon of loving them at first and then hating them when there was a backlash. Typical Rolling Stone fashion.

typical.
    just remember REM is an innovator.
    They nearly invented "alt-rock" or "college rock" ... at a time when big arena rock was all the rage ... then you had this little mouse-y band from Athens with a shy lead singer mumbling lyrics and cupping the mic stand, with hair in his face (sound familiar? ;) ) ...

... and for REM this record is, as previously mentioned on another thread, a "return to form" album ... so its only fitting that RS would give them 4stars for this ... they deserve it.

Don't slag 'em for it, yikes!
  • They jumped on the bandwagon of loving them at first and then hating them when there was a backlash. Typical Rolling Stone fashion.

For the record my friend Rolling Stone gave your beloved Oasis's "Be Here Now" 4 stars which most around this forum would agree is a cocaine induced, we are bigger-than-Jesus inspired, piece of sh*t.

Just because R.E.M. is putting out something that is genuinely inspired while the Gallagher bros. put on nothing more than "greatest hits" concerts here in Canada and don't even have the ballz to perform their new material live find another thread to flame

p.s. i do love Definitely Maybe
    They jumped on the bandwagon of loving them at first and then hating them when there was a backlash. Typical Rolling Stone fashion.

What and you don't think it's a coincidence that Oasis have been heading downhill ever since their debut?
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    any R.E.M. that sounds like LRP or Document or NAIFH is good... From what I have heard on this album it's a killer for sure. I didn't mind some tracks on Around The Sun to be honest but overall it lacks imagination. Boy in the well and ascent of man are killer though. Looking forward to the 1st of April!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08