Voices That Get Better With Age

Rhinocerous SurpriseRhinocerous Surprise Posts: 4,423
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Eveyone always talks about how people like Chris Cornell and Robert Plant can't sing like they used to now that they're aging. But I want to talk about voices that you feel have improved with age.
My three choices:

Corin Tucker (Sleater Kinney): say what you want about S-K's supporting slot for Pearl Jam... On The Woods, Corin's voice was at its prime, a precision instrument with power and passion.

Tom Waits: Okay, maybe he didn't technically become a better singer, but over the years, he became more expressive, and more experimental with his voice. I'd certainly take his voice on Rain Dogs over his voice on Closing Time.

Ed Vedder: Controversial perhaps, but I'd take his current, more melodic voice over the blunt, brute-force drawl of yesteryear.
Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Josh Homme, probably
  • Plant's voice isn't what it was, but he's adjusted well to age and still sounds pretty amazing. Sounded great with Vedder a few years back.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Ed Vedder: Controversial perhaps, but I'd take his current, more melodic voice over the blunt, brute-force drawl of yesteryear.

I disagree with you here.

Not sure of a voice that has gotten better with time. I'll have to think harder.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Billy Corgan's voice is fantastic right now.

As is Cornell's.. since he got his shit together and made an effort to repair his voice I think he's better than ever in a lot of ways.

I definetly agree that Vedder is better than ever now. Live his voice sounds more enthusiastic and expressive than ever before. Also he's a much more well rounded and versatile singer than he was say back in 1992.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

I don't know, both Ed's early voice and his current voice have both good and bad points. 2006 Ed thankfully doesn't 'yarl' like 1991 Ed did, but at the same time, 2006 Ed really butchers songs like Why Go and Once.

As for voices that get better with age, I really can't think of any.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Chris Cornell.

yeah, people - see him live and then know that he OWNS
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Dylan's voice got better with age until the 80s. His 70s boots are unbelievable.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Chris Cornell.

yeah, people - see him live and then know that he OWNS

I agree that he "owns", and I'd say that Chris Cornell is better than he has been in years, but I'd see that as regaining ground, rather than actually improving.
    DOSW wrote:
    I don't know, both Ed's early voice and his current voice have both good and bad points. 2006 Ed thankfully doesn't 'yarl' like 1991 Ed did, but at the same time, 2006 Ed really butchers songs like Why Go and Once.

I don't really think Ed "butchers" those songs. He might not be able to sing them like he did 15 years ago, but I'd be surprised if you could pick a performance that sounds genuinely bad.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    I think most singers hit a peak. Usually their " middle" era material is better than the "early" and "later" years.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    This might be strange, but I think Paul McCartneys voice got better as he aged. I've been listening to his new album quite a lot lately and he still can rock.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Brandon Boyd and Thom Yorke get my vote.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    all you people talking about Chris Cornell not losing it obviously didn't hear him on Howard Stern last week doing "Black Hole Sun". I could've done it better. it was literally almost unlistenable. anybody can go into a studio and make a voice sound however they want it to. but last week, live on the radio, it was very clear that his voice is gone.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Anthony Kiedis, but he's not much of a singer anyways. Other than that I would say nobody. You guys who are saying Ed are full of shit and you know it. You would trade the 2006 Eddie for the early 90's Eddie in a second.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Anthony Kiedis, but he's not much of a singer anyways. Other than that I would say nobody. You guys who are saying Ed are full of shit and you know it. You would trade the 2006 Eddie for the early 90's Eddie in a second.

Nice to be told what I think...
  • i agree with eddie and anthony kiedis (just listen to wet sand)

i don't think that chris cornells voice got better over the years...what does not mean that i don't like him anymore

and johnny cash...got deeper...in both ways ;)
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • I think Thom Yorke has done the best job of maintaining his voice over the last 15 years. I don't really hear much of a difference while listening to The Bends or Ok Computer and then listening to The Eraser or the songs for the next album. It hasn't gotten better, but it's sounds pretty much the same. I really can't think of anyone who's voice has improved over time after a significant amount of time. Maybe from one album to the next there can be a small difference but in general I can't think of any unless they started while still very young.
    I don't know... I definitely do think it's gotten better... maybe I should've just seen them live when they were doing Pablo Honey to majorly admit it, but when I saw them at Bonnaroo last year, his voice was just phenomenal, and he's kind of got like a fast-pace singing that sounds so good to which he didn't do years ago... I forget what song it is, but oh... Bodysnatchers... like I said, I can't really see his voice changing on albums, except from the Bends to OK, I think it definitely sounds different from there... but other than that, the only way I see his voice getting better is live.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    isaac brock
    james hetfield
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Dave Gahan Depeche Mode

Is voice on the early DM albums isn't that great but Violator onwards he just seemed to get better, Exciter & Playing the Angel show his voice in fine form.

I'd also say Bono from Achtung Baby onwards his voice has got more diverse & rich, his vocal performance on Sometimes You can't make it on your own is incredible.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I don't really think Ed "butchers" those songs. He might not be able to sing them like he did 15 years ago, but I'd be surprised if you could pick a performance that sounds genuinely bad.

When Eddie yells nowadays his voice goes into a high, almost comedic pitch. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I don't know... I definitely do think it's gotten better... maybe I should've just seen them live when they were doing Pablo Honey to majorly admit it, but when I saw them at Bonnaroo last year, his voice was just phenomenal, and he's kind of got like a fast-pace singing that sounds so good to which he didn't do years ago... I forget what song it is, but oh... Bodysnatchers... like I said, I can't really see his voice changing on albums, except from the Bends to OK, I think it definitely sounds different from there... but other than that, the only way I see his voice getting better is live.
    There is a definite change in singing style from The Bends to Ok Computer and beyond. Not really a surprise as the type of band they were trying to be changed radically during that time period as well. I have yet to see them live. Really want to though.
  • mark lanegan
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    This might be strange, but I think Paul McCartneys voice got better as he aged. I've been listening to his new album quite a lot lately and he still can rock.

Not strange at all :)
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    mark lanegan

Yeah, he kinda sucked on Clairvoyance.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    As far as a live performer...Billy Corgan...

He even said in a documentary for the album "Adore" that he felt his guitar playing had peaked and he'd always thought lyrics were a strongpoint, and that his piano skills wouldn't get much better so singing was the last thing he had left to focus on.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    There is a definite change in singing style from The Bends to Ok Computer and beyond. Not really a surprise as the type of band they were trying to be changed radically during that time period as well. I have yet to see them live. Really want to though.

Oh man, seriously, once you see them, you're just like, oh... wow. Yeah. You can't say anything, at least that's how it was for us. When Karma Police started playing, we all got teary eyed... it was awesome. Seeing Johnny play the piano as he's wailing on the guitar, haha, fantastic!
  • nepalnepal Posts: 143
    I like how Joan Baez sounds these days http://youtube.com/watch?v=TBZtny3O_2M
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Eveyone always talks about how people like Chris Cornell and Robert Plant can't sing like they used to now that they're aging. But I want to talk about voices that you feel have improved with age.
    My three choices:

Corin Tucker (Sleater Kinney): say what you want about S-K's supporting slot for Pearl Jam... On The Woods, Corin's voice was at its prime, a precision instrument with power and passion.

Tom Waits: Okay, maybe he didn't technically become a better singer, but over the years, he became more expressive, and more experimental with his voice. I'd certainly take his voice on Rain Dogs over his voice on Closing Time.

i agree with your ed point 2. conor from bright eyes as well, his voice def matured on cassadaga
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    i agree with your ed point 2. conor from bright eyes as well, his voice def matured on cassadaga

If only he didn't sound like he was crying (conor that is) on a lot of his songs, with his wavering, emo-esque voice, I'd really love his music. Four Winds is an amazing song, in which he actually SINGS. For instance, 'When the President Talks to God' is unlistenable for me, as the man sounds like he is in the midst of a tearjerker.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    If only he didn't sound like he was crying (conor that is) on a lot of his songs, with his wavering, emo-esque voice, I'd really love his music. Four Winds is an amazing song, in which he actually SINGS. For instance, 'When the President Talks to God' is unlistenable for me, as the man sounds like he is in the midst of a tearjerker.
    haha totally, he could make 'happy birthday' sound the saddest fucken song in the world! & that's why i love him :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones