Canadian Music - Past and Present

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I actually saw Hayden (LOVE him - and he's still putting out GREAT albums)and Broken Social Scene pop up on the Best Live Band thread (from two people not from Canada).....that gets me so excited,

I feel like all I do on this board is hype/praise the Canadian music scene....its just sooooo damn good here right now - makes me want to shout it from the rooftops

....as Combat Baby - Metric comes on the radio - its a great time to be a music fan in Canada
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Is K-OS not Canadian?

Great music.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Is K-OS not Canadian?

Great music.

Yes he is.....not a big fan - just havent heard much (I have liked what I have heard) I just heard his brand new single yesterday....not too bad
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Todd76 wrote:
    Yes he is.....not a big fan - just havent heard much (I have liked what I have heard) I just heard his brand new single yesterday....not too bad

His album "Joyful Rebellion" is absolutely brilliant. It's intelligent rap for intelligent music fans. I don't usually listen to a lot of rap music, but K-OS brings so much more to the table than other artists in the genre. He's a gifted rapper and singer, but he's also a great lyricist, songwriter and musician. I saw him live in Ottawa a couple of years back, and the dude also plays a mean guitar and piano.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    direwolf74 wrote:
    His album "Joyful Rebellion" is absolutely brilliant. It's intelligent rap for intelligent music fans. I don't usually listen to a lot of rap music, but K-OS brings so much more to the table than other artists in the genre. He's a gifted rapper and singer, but he's also a great lyricist, songwriter and musician. I saw him live in Ottawa a couple of years back, and the dude also plays a mean guitar and piano.

Its amazing isn't it. PROPER Hip hop, none of that 50 Cent bullshit.

'Man I used To Be' is a beautiful song, great great lyrics.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    Man, The Tea Party was awesome! I was a big fan.

Stupid Jeff Martin, why did he had to go solo?
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    caifan82 wrote:
    Man, The Tea Party was awesome! I was a big fan.

Stupid Jeff Martin, why did he had to go solo?

given the regard he paid to his former bandmates after they disbanded, i can imagine exactly why he had to go solo.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    exhausted wrote:
    given the regard he paid to his former bandmates after they disbanded, i can imagine exactly why he had to go solo.

Do you have more information about why they disbanded exactly? Or was it only Jeff Martin's idea?
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i really don't know. but he was pretty shit to them in interviews... he did all the work etc. etc. the creative force blah blah blah. thinking he's led zeppelin calibre and all...

he was taking himself waaaay too seriously so i'd imagine it wasn't any fun being in a band with him anyway.

a friend went to his solo show here and said he was basically grovelling for support since his record pretty much DOA'ed.

i don't know if the other two even released a statement about the whole deal.
  • Saying that OLP suck, and that Moist sucks. Tells me those posters dont know much about Canadian music. Moist had I feel one of Canada's best singers ever, David Usher what a voice and great live too. OLP are a great band and made some kick ass records. Bands like Billy Talent are garbage he cant sing, his name should be Billy no Talent.
    Saying that OLP suck, and that Moist sucks. Tells me those posters dont know much about Canadian music. Moist had I feel one of Canada's best singers ever, David Usher what a voice and great live too. OLP are a great band and made some kick ass records. Bands like Billy Talent are garbage he cant sing, his name should be Billy no Talent.

Its all a matter of opinion - I think they all suck and can't hold a candle to any of the new Canadian bands mentioned earlier....in fact out of the 3 you mention Billy Talent is the only one I can slightly tolerate....to each their own - my 12 year old sister loved Moist (sarcasm intended)
    Saying that OLP suck, and that Moist sucks. Tells me those posters dont know much about Canadian music. Moist had I feel one of Canada's best singers ever, David Usher what a voice and great live too. OLP are a great band and made some kick ass records.

Believe me, I'm VERY well schooled in the history of Canadian rock, my friend. I've been pretty much obsessed with it since I was 16. Don't get me wrong, I definitely respect the fact that OLP and Moist worked hard to get to where they ended up. I've met the guys in OLP, and they're a really nice bunch of guys (especially their drummer, Jeremy). But like Todd76 said, it's all a matter of opinion. Their music just never did anything for me, and it still doesn't. I can't stand Raine's voice or his lyrics, and he's way too much of a drama-queen on stage. Naveed was a solid record, and Clumsy had some noteworthy material, but since then their albums have gotten progressively worse in my opinion.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • even flow? wrote:
    Didn't Avril take the world by storm after Alanis passed her the torch which she received from Celine, who stole it from Shania? I may have that out of order.

Don't forget Triumph.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    reditalian wrote:
    Yeah for sure and she's married to a guy from a great Canadian band!!

What is even funny is that she and Raine met at a Pearl Jam concert. I really liked Our Lady Peace's first four albums, but their last two have been sub par at best. They need to stop working with Bob Rock.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
    Just finished hearing Stars & Sons - Broken Social Scene on the local radio station here (my favourite BSS song...that or Anthems For a Seventeen Year Old Girl)....LOVE IT

O Canada
    Our Home And Native Land
    True Patriot Love In All Thy Sons Command.......

So good EH
    Todd76 wrote:
    Just finished hearing Stars & Sons - Broken Social Scene on the local radio station here (my favourite BSS song...that or Anthems For a Seventeen Year Old Girl)....LOVE IT

O Canada
    Our Home And Native Land
    True Patriot Love In All Thy Sons Command.......

So good EH

I take it that's a college radio station you're listening to?? The only station around these parts that would even touch indie-rock is the U of C's CJSW. Mainstream rock stations in this country really piss me off. They could be playing so much great stuff, but instead they choose to play Theory of a Deadman and Nickelback 30 times a day to satisfy their Cancon quotient. It's f**kin' sad. Back in the early 90s there was a really cool mainstream station here in Calgary called MIX 1060 which used to play everything from Pearl Jam, the Hip, and Nirvana to Sonic Youth, Buffalo Tom, and Weeping Tile (Sarah Harmer's old band). They even played stuff by the Lowest of the Low and the Rheostatics once in a while. It was great. Since then though, Clear Channel has pretty much ruined rock radio by having such a limited playlist. Nobody takes chances anymore, and it's disgusting. That's why I haven't listened to the radio since the late 90s. When I discover new bands now, it's usually because of music forums like this, word of mouth from friends, and great magazines like Exclaim, Magnet, Harp, and Under the Radar.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I take it that's a college radio station you're listening to?? The only station around these parts that would even touch indie-rock is the U of C's CJSW. Mainstream rock stations in this country really piss me off. They could be playing so much great stuff, but instead they choose to play Theory of a Deadman and Nickelback 30 times a day to satisfy their Cancon quotient. It's f**kin' sad. Back in the early 90s there was a really cool mainstream station here in Calgary called MIX 1060 which used to play everything from Pearl Jam, the Hip, and Nirvana to Sonic Youth, Buffalo Tom, and Weeping Tile (Sarah Harmer's old band). They even played stuff by the Lowest of the Low and the Rheostatics once in a while. It was great. Since then though, Clear Channel has pretty much ruined rock radio by having such a limited playlist. Nobody takes chances anymore, and it's disgusting. That's why I haven't listened to the radio since the late 90s. When I discover new bands now, it's usually because of music forums like this, word of mouth from friends, and great magazines like Exclaim, Magnet, Harp, and Under the Radar.

Actually it is not a college station (my radio at work won't pick any up - otherwise thats definitely what I would have on)...this is a mainstream station out of Toronto (CFNY 102.1 - the Edge)....they play TONS of crap but every so often they will play some BSS, Arcade Fire, Metric etc etc, unfortunately you have to sit through 20 Nickelback, Theory Of A Deadman and Sum 41 songs before you hear anything good

Weeping Tile - still love that band......I have seen them live so many times, they used to play the bar and university scene when I was in school. Sarah Harmer is amazing - such a talented musician/songwriter.

What I wouldn't give to be able to listen to a station that showcased the immense talent this country has - with some Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, and Buffalo Tom thrown in for good measure.

How are the Rhesotatics not a household name????

Exclaim has exposed me to so many bands.....I was into bands like Arcade Fire, BSS, the Dears, DFA 1979, Metric, Stars - the whole indie scene - before it was a "scene"
    Todd76 wrote:
    How are the Rhesotatics not a household name????

No kidding, eh! I've seen them live more times than I can count. I think Martin Tielli is one of the most incredibly unique guitar players I've ever seen. I'm convinced the dude is some kind of genius mad scientist. They're such nice guys too. Bidini is one of the coolest people you could ever meet, and not only is a terrific songwriter, but his books are amazing. If you haven't already, check out "On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock". It's basically about thier 1996 Canadian tour opening for the Hip, inter-spliced with numerous stories and anecdotes from Canadian musicians past and present. It's a great read. His hockey books are also fantastic (Tropic of Hockey, The Best Game You Can Name).

Did you hear that Tim Vesely left the band? I was pretty bummed out when I heard the news. Of all the songwriters in that band, I think he was my favorite. Bad Time to Be Poor, King of the Past, Palomar, We Went West, and Claire are probably my favorite Vesely songs. He recently released his first solo project called the Violet Archers, and it's a very cool album. It's pretty much the same kind of stuff he was doing in the Rheos, but this time he gets to do an entire album's worth of it. I love it. I'm not sure the Rheos will ever be the same though. He was such a huge part of that band, and he'll definitely be missed.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    No kidding, eh! I've seen them live more times than I can count. I think Martin Tielli is one of the most incredibly unique guitar players I've ever seen. I'm convinced the dude is some kind of genius mad scientist. They're such nice guys too. Bidini is one of the coolest people you could ever meet, and not only is a terrific songwriter, but his books are amazing. If you haven't already, check out "On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock". It's basically about thier 1996 Canadian tour opening for the Hip, inter-spliced with numerous stories and anecdotes from Canadian musicians past and present. It's a great read. His hockey books are also fantastic (Tropic of Hockey, The Best Game You Can Name).

Did you hear that Tim Vesely left the band? I was pretty bummed out when I heard the news. Of all the songwriters in that band, I think he was my favorite. Bad Time to Be Poor, King of the Past, Palomar, We Went West, and Claire are probably my favorite Vesely songs. He recently released his first solo project called the Violet Archers, and it's a very cool album. It's pretty much the same kind of stuff he was doing in the Rheos, but this time he gets to do an entire album's worth of it. I love it. I'm not sure the Rheos will ever be the same though. He was such a huge part of that band, and he'll definitely be missed.

I've seen the Rheos live more than any other band (actually probably more than all the other bands combined)...every year they play for a week every night at The Horseshoe (a famous bar in Toronto)....Greensprouts Music Week - we always go at least 2 or 3 times, they switch it up every night (one night all covers, one night all requests, one night they'll spin a roulette wheel of songs and play whatever it lands on etc etc)...AMAZING. I always make sure to stand where I have a clear view of Martin - I have used the Mad Scientist description of him MANY times.....the guy is soooo good its unbelievable - he can make his guitar sound like no other, so unique. When you watch him its like he's channeling some musical force from another dimension - INTENSE. His solo albums are really good - check them out if you havent already.

I had NO IDEA about Tim....thats devastating - I never saw that coming.....they just announced a show at a huge theater in Toronto (Massey Hall) and the article talked about how excited they were to play there (the first time for the band) and it made no mention of Tim leaving - he was in the picture accompanying the little blurb....sad - i LOVE Tim's song Making Progress off their newest album (amazing lyrics)...i'll have to look out for his solo album

I havent read Bidinis books....I saw a TV special he did about hockey around the world....very good. One of my buddies has the book and I have always meant to borrow it.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard any Rheostatics. Would somebody please be so kind as to reccomend me a starter album?
    OLP are a great band and made some kick ass records.

That's my problem with them, they made two good records and then they got lazy. I guess I'm not mad, just disapointed.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    MCG wrote:
    I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard any Rheostatics. Would somebody please be so kind as to reccomend me a starter album?

That's my problem with them, they made two good records and then they got lazy. I guess I'm not mad, just disapointed.

I wouldn't hestitate to recommend Whale Music (the album - not the soundtrack)....probably their most accessible

or you could try Melville or Introducing Happiness

other good ones Blue Hysteria, Night Of The Shooting Stars, and 2067

Double Live is an incredible live album (double cd - covers alot of their best stuff...but I wouldn't start here)

.....you cant really go wrong - but Whale Music is a great place to start IMO
    Todd76 wrote:
    I wouldn't hestitate to recommend Whale Music (the album - not the soundtrack)....probably their most accessible

or you could try Melville or Introducing Happiness

other good ones Blue Hysteria, Night Of The Shooting Stars, and 2067

Double Live is an incredible live album (double cd - covers alot of their best stuff...but I wouldn't start here)

.....you cant really go wrong - but Whale Music is a great place to start IMO

Thank you, I'll check it out soon hopefully. Is it hard to find their records?
    Which came first,
    MCG wrote:
    Thank you, I'll check it out soon hopefully. Is it hard to find their records?

not here in Toronto....but that depends on how good your friendly neighbourhood record store is - they are by no means a big band, so it may take some work
    Todd76 wrote:
    not here in Toronto....but that depends on how good your friendly neighbourhood record store is - they are by no means a big band, so it may take some work

Neighborhood record stores don't exist in Regina unfortunately. The closest thing we had was A&B Sound and that closed its doors for good a few weeks ago. I guess I'll cross my fingers for Future Shop, Best Buy or HMV to step it up.
    Which came first,
  • Yeah, Canada = english only.

--Best french song in the world is from a "canadian" artist (Quand les hommes vivront d'amour).
    --France mainstream music scene is filled with "canadian" artist.
    --Corneille (Rwanda origins but now canadian) is one of the most popular french artist on the planet.

anyway.

Tragicly Hip are just a generic rock band playing the same generic rock as many other band, they're not bad, they're just not great. OLP, Moist, Billy Talent and all that crap suck.

Canadian indie scene is great and get recognition on the international level, on the maintstream Avril and Simple Plan might be the most popular, i can't tell. Celine is not yet retired (can't wait) and Neil Young is still playing and getting more popular around the world. Leonard Cohen is well known, but unfortunatly his art is not. Godspeed You black emperor are well known on the international and local indie scene. The Dears and Arcade Fire are great bands and could become more popular in the future, so are the New Pornographers.

Many other prospect in the indie scene will break out and be more popular, many mainstream french artist will continue to fill the France musical charts.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • I just dont understand, how you can say the tragically hip are ok. There Canadas crown jewel rock band. By far the best live Canadian band. Moist is great, so is David Usher solo. 54-40 is a Canadian band that kicks so much ass. very underrated. I Mother Earth another honourable mention. Billy no talent is for 15 yr old skaters, nothing wrong with that if your 15.
    Tragicly Hip are just a generic rock band playing the same generic rock as many other band
    charts.

I couldn't disagree more. Have you ever read any of Gord Downie's lyrics? The dude is hands down one of the best songwriters this country has ever produced. His lyrics are right up there with Young, Cohen, and Mitchell, and there's no other band on the planet that sounds like the Hip. Yeah, they play gritty, no-frills stripped-down rock n' roll, but they're so f**king good at it, that it elevates them way beyond the "generic rock" tag. When I think of the term generic, I think of Nickelcrap, Theory of a Deadman, Default, etc... THAT'S the kind of rock music that makes me wanna throw up in my mouth. The Hip on the other hand make me wanna stand on the highest rooftop in Canada and tell the world about how great our music scene is.

-Tom Waits
    I just dont understand, how you can say the tragically hip are ok. There Canadas crown jewel rock band. By far the best live Canadian band. Moist is great, so is David Usher solo. 54-40 is a Canadian band that kicks so much ass. very underrated. I Mother Earth another honourable mention. Billy no talent is for 15 yr old skaters, nothing wrong with that if your 15.

Though I didn't care much for David Usher solo, I give you mad props for bringing up I Mother Earth. I don't like the new stuff as much as the first two albums, much like with Our Lady Peace.

I understand how people can underestimate the Hip though, I once did. I took what I heard on the radio and thought there wasn't too much of a difference as the other stuff on there. Then a friend showed me a little song called "Tiger the Lion", it completely challenged all of my previous notions of the Tragically Hip. So I bought the Music @ Work album and was absolutely encompassed by the complex beauty that Gord Downie worked into the lyrics, the simple yet challenging songwriting that reminded me of Pearl Jam and the urgence the music put out there. So I bought another record, and another and before I knew it I was hopelessly hooked. And then there's the matter of the live show which is so special it can't even be put into words. The Hip may not be for everyone (though I think everyone should own a copy of Trouble at the Henhouse!) but I'm glad it's for me. I'm endlessly excited for a new record and tour!
    Which came first,
    direwolf74 wrote:

direwolf....where did ya go .... I was enjoying our conversation (distracted by the Hip I guess)

I checked the Rheos website to look into this Tim thing and it makes no mention of it (the site was updated today - so its not like its behind the times)....where did you get your info?????

...do the Rheos do any thing like Greensprouts music week in you neck of the woods - its an event not to be missed
    Todd76 wrote:
    direwolf....where did ya go .... I was enjoying our conversation (distracted by the Hip I guess)

I checked the Rheos website to look into this Tim thing and it makes no mention of it (the site was updated today - so its not like its behind the times)....where did you get your info?????

...do the Rheos do any thing like Greensprouts music week in you neck of the woods - its an event not to be missed

I found out about it in an article/interview with Dave Bidini (can't remember where I found it). He said Tim would be greatly missed, and the band hadn't decided what they were gonna do yet to fill his spot. I also read a review of the Violet Archers that mentioned "the recently departed Rheos member Tim Vesely."

-Tom Waits