Ben Harper's new album

a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Was thinking about picking this one up, saw him at lolla and really liked him so I was thinking about getting into some of his stuff.

So you think i should get the new one or any reccommendations for some of the older stuff?
Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• a5pj wrote:
    Was thinking about picking this one up, saw him at lolla and really liked him so I was thinking about getting into some of his stuff.

So you think i should get the new one or any reccommendations for some of the older stuff?

All of his music is good. If you like more acoustic, then Welcome to Cruel World, Lifeline, and disc 1 of Both Sides are where you will find it. He has many different musical influences, and his music (and band) has changed alot over the years.

My order of preference would be this, for the studio albums:

1) Fight for Your Mind
    2) Will to Live
    3) Welcome to the Cruel World
    4) Burn to Shine
    5) Both Sides of the Gun
    6) Lifeline
    7) Diamonds on the Inside

There Will Be a Light is a more gospel/soul album w/ the Blind Boys of Alabama. Live from Mars is an excellent live album from the Burn to Shine era.

You can't really go wrong with any of his albums. The only one I don't really care for is Diamonds, it's too pop/formula for my taste; however, it still has some good tracks on it.
    Lolla St. Louis 92, StL 98, Kansas City 98, Knoxville 98, StL 00, Kansas City 00, Oklahoma City 03, StL 03, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Kansas City 03, Philly x 2 03, MSG x 2 03, StL 04, GR 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, SF x 3 06, Portland, Gorge x 2 06, MSG x 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield x 2 08
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I freakin' love the song "Burn one Down"
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    hey thanks for the info, good stuff there.

saw burn one down at lolla i think, great song!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Fight For You Mind is my favorite Harper album. I pre-ordered Lifeline from his website so hopefully I get it in the mail soon.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • PiercePierce Posts: 71
    i love lifeline....listening to it right now....great mellow album...
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    I love Ben! I'd love to see a show of BH and PJ.

Anyway, a quick question for those who've seen Ben live...do you know if they have the same camera policy as Pearl Jam (or a similar one)?
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • PiercePierce Posts: 71
    Paris Sunrise #7 into Lifeline is amazing....great moment
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I finally saw him last year twice. I first heard or saw him on some telly special back in 2002 I think it was "Live From Mars". I'm going to see him in DC Sept 17 and I've pre-odered the new album and it can't get here soon enough.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• i def wanted to read smthg like this b4 i bought Lifeline off iTunes
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    :cool:
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Rhyno wrote:
    I love Ben! I'd love to see a show of BH and PJ.

You should've been at the shows on the 1996 US tour. It was INCREDIBLE!

Seeing BHIC in New Orleans @ Voodoo Music Festival this October. Can't wait!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Support Ben! He's an amazing artist and the new album is pretty damn good. It's kind of mello if you like that sound.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    LukinFan wrote:
    Support Ben! He's an amazing artist and the new album is pretty damn good. It's kind of mello if you like that sound.

Definitely in support. I'll be seeing them in Minneapolis on this coming Monday and I am super excited. It'll be my third time seeing him live.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    ben harper is the fucking man

end of story. period. thats all she wrote.

:D
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Downloading it from iTunes right now. Been listening to the single on his myspace page throughout the day today... love it!!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Yeah, I posted on another thread earlier
    I preordered the album off of his website to get the 5 song acoustic EP - well worth it. I downloaded that yesterday and it has some nice versions of old favs and Lifeline off the the new album. I have been listening to the album off of the internet for the past few days.
    I can't wait to have it in hand!

As with most of his albums - I like just about everything, but only love one or two songs. Im really nuts about Lifeline right now.

Anyone else?
    Don't gimme no lip
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I would start with either Fight For Your Mind or Diamonds on the Inside.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Lifeline is fucking AWESOME!! It was recorded in Paris in just 7 days, and they used analog instead of Pro Tools. That means it has a really warm sound.. which is spontaneous and "real" sounding... unlike many of the super-slick, overly-produced albums that have been coming out lately.

This album shows that some bands can still come in well rehearsed and lay down magic in a very short time. His lyrics are excellent too!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    I haven't listened his new album yet.
    I'm one of those who still buy CDs and I'll go tomorrow for this one ;)

But I'm more looking into future tour dates in France.
    He is amazing live. I've seen him 3 times and it has always been a kick-ass show.
  • Kikok wrote:
    I haven't listened his new album yet.
    I'm one of those who still buy CDs and I'll go tomorrow for this one ;)

But I'm more looking into future tour dates in France.
    He is amazing live. I've seen him 3 times and it has always been a kick-ass show.

Im waiting to have my CD too! But if you want to listen to the whole album before you go and buy it, AOL is streaming the entire album. I tried to post the link, but it doesn't seem to work. Anyway you can go to spinner.com and look under "full cds" to find it.

...And your right! He is sooo good live. Can't wait for the LA tour dates in Nov.
    Don't gimme no lip
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Im waiting to have my CD too! But if you want to listen to the whole album before you go and buy it, AOL is streaming the entire album. I tried to post the link, but it doesn't seem to work. Anyway you can go to spinner.com and look under "full cds" to find it.

...And your right! He is sooo good live. Can't wait for the LA tour dates in Nov.

So I bought Lifeline !!! It's the limited edition with a DVD containing live recordings. I even prefer the DVD versions because I'm a big fan of live recordings. Paris Sunshine#7 into Lifeline is just pure gold.
    Great, great, great album !!!
  • MathMath Posts: 71
    Bought the same yesterday. I've listened to the album which is soft as a caress. Marvellous velvet like album. I'd drape myself in velvet if it was socially accptable.

But I haven't watched the DVD yet. Planned to this weekend!
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I am one LUCKY bastard... I'm listening to Paris #7 right now, into Lifeline... I was lucky enough to get to see Ben (and the crims) play 1.5 hour set last night at Twist and Shout in Denver. There were about 200 people there I would guess. I had listened to the Lifeline album a few times before the show last night, but wasn't too big of a fan... About 45min into the show, my girlfriend and I snuck up by the sound guy where we had a PERFECT view of Ben... The last songs were Paris #7 into Lifeline, he played it alone on his acoustic lap guitar... We both had goosebumps, it sounded SO damn amazing, so perfect... I have a newfound respect for Ben Harper, I have never seen him so close before!
    He also did a PERFECT cover of Use Me... I was hoping to hear Diamonds, but it's not the same without Ed around anyway... GREAT SHOW! Ben is a great guy, he seemed to be really enjoying himself...
    We even met some of the Innocent Criminals after the show, they signed our poster, what a night, and all that just for preordering the CD.
    Thank you Ben Harper!
  • MathMath Posts: 71
    pjtaper wrote:
    I am one LUCKY bastard...

Indeed.
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • I'm absolutely loving the new album and came to this thread to see what everybody thinks of it.

The album has really whetted my thirst for Ben's music, so I was also wondering if anyone is aware of a good download site with some concerts and rarities, covers songs available??
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    I'm still kicking myself I didn't record the show last night...
    SO STUPID!
  • ballbagballbag Posts: 69
    Yeah, I posted on another thread earlier
    I preordered the album off of his website to get the 5 song acoustic EP - well worth it. I downloaded that yesterday and it has some nice versions of old favs and Lifeline off the the new album. I have been listening to the album off of the internet for the past few days.
    I can't wait to have it in hand!

As with most of his albums - I like just about everything, but only love one or two songs. Im really nuts about Lifeline right now.

Anyone else?

that lifeline download is awesome.
    if anyone has the bonus acoustic tracks, please IM me at stoneygoss on AIM...
    Or PM me, I want to get them!
    Thanks!
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I've seen Ben a few times. He's never disappointed. Also, he is one of only a couple of artists that I went out and bought their album the next day after seeing them live for the first time. He was amazing in front of all those people in San Jose 11/95 and just as amazing at the smaller venues I've seen him in. Everyone should do themselves a favor and see Ben live!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Kikok wrote:
    So I bought Lifeline !!! It's the limited edition with a DVD containing live recordings. I even prefer the DVD versions because I'm a big fan of live recordings. Paris Sunshine#7 into Lifeline is just pure gold.
    Great, great, great album !!!

What does the DVD have on it?
    Don't gimme no lip