Fashion and Music (Cornell)

eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Would now be a good time to start pretending that I never listened to his music in the first place?

http://music2nite.blogspot.com/2008/07/fashion-rocks-2008-performers.html
Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    the cliche "you're known by the company you keep" makes me depressed, looking at the list of the other performers.

I have not been paying attention to all the complaining on this board about Chris, but I may join the chorus. This is the same man that wrote and sang Seasons? Slaves and Bulldozers? 4th of July?

I don't understand...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    at least he'll be wearing some cool as fuck jeans
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm kind of past caring what he does these days. Unfortunately with someone like Chris you just can't predict what he's going to do next. I'm kind of in the mind set of, if I like it then great, and if I don't, well it's really not the end of the world. It's not like there aren't other bands out there to enjoy. Judging from how good his voice sounds these days, I would never write him off.
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Would now be a good time to start pretending that I never listened to his music in the first place?

Actually a few months ago, or even a year ago, would've been a good time to start pretending like you never liked his music in the first place. Nevertheless, I will gladly join you.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • wcsmith wrote:
    the cliche "you're known by the company you keep" makes me depressed, looking at the list of the other performers.

I have not been paying attention to all the complaining on this board about Chris, but I may join the chorus. This is the same man that wrote and sang Seasons? Slaves and Bulldozers? 4th of July?

I don't understand...

No it's not the same man. The man who wrote those songs was a man with balls, who had good taste & a good musical ear. R.I.P. old Chris.

The Chris Cornell we know today is nothing but a failure & a sellout.
  • the man who wrote those songs was in his 20s

when you hit your 40s you stop caring what people half your age think of you.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Chris Cornell, you make me weep pure rage.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • the man who wrote those songs was in his 20s

Does that imply that the Chris in his 20's would probably despise the Chris that's around today? Yea, he would.

If you want to stop caring what people think of you - cool. But considering his SONGWRITING ability has become more shallow than ever, by far - that's what makes him uncool today.

I mean, if he was still writing great songs, then him doing all this fashion crap wouldn't be nearly as horrible.

It's not just his integrity that has completely vanished, his talent has aswell.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    the man who wrote those songs was in his 20s

Is that why his new music is being marketed to people half his age?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    I think there's a time in most of musicians where their ''glory'' or ''fame'' days faded away and decide to release something that makes them get back to the game, in most cases something stupid.

H.M: U2, Snoop dogg, etx.....
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I dont think its that big a deal really.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    I think part of my problem is that I kind of bought into the whole "sell out" thing during the 'grunge' years. I was in high school when Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and AIC were at the peak of their popularity and they did not seem to be vapid or shallow or willing to show up on some Fashion/Music show. But as I'm thinking about this, I'm kind of conflicted:

- the whole "sell out" thing is nonsense. I'm reminded of the lyrics to the Tool song: "I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, and then you bought one...shut up and buy."

- I considered CC to be someone of artistic integrity (no clue about his personal integrity), but at one time, I imagined that he had high standards about his musical contributions. Maybe he still does, but to be in the same lineup as Kid Rock, Fergie, and the other shallow performers is a bit disappointing.

- In response to someone who says that CC now no longer cares what people think, it looks like the opposite problem to me. It seemed to me that during his SG days and even with his 1st solo record, he didn't really care what people thought - he played from the heart. With Audioslave and his susequent career, he seems to be grasping at mainstream relevance, which if that's the case, more power to him.

I think I'll just listen to the old cd's and be happy with that. After all, like someone above said, there's plenty of good music out there to listen to...
  • wcsmith wrote:
    I think part of my problem is that I kind of bought into the whole "sell out" thing during the 'grunge' years. I was in high school when Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and AIC were at the peak of their popularity and they did not seem to be vapid or shallow or willing to show up on some Fashion/Music show. But as I'm thinking about this, I'm kind of conflicted:

- the whole "sell out" thing is nonsense. I'm reminded of the lyrics to the Tool song: "I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, and then you bought one...shut up and buy."

- I considered CC to be someone of artistic integrity (no clue about his personal integrity), but at one time, I imagined that he had high standards about his musical contributions. Maybe he still does, but to be in the same lineup as Kid Rock, Fergie, and the other shallow performers is a bit disappointing.

- In response to someone who says that CC now no longer cares what people think, it looks like the opposite problem to me. It seemed to me that during his SG days and even with his 1st solo record, he didn't really care what people thought - he played from the heart. With Audioslave and his susequent career, he seems to be grasping at mainstream relevance, which if that's the case, more power to him.

I think I'll just listen to the old cd's and be happy with that. After all, like someone above said, there's plenty of good music out there to listen to...
    I figure he lost his guitars, and quite probably his mind, in his divorce. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Yea. i dont really see how him wearing any jeans or clothes has anything to do with him as a musician. I mean he used to wear all old and ragged clothes back in the early Soundgarden days because he was poor. maybe he got tired of wearing them. if i had money i would get some nice clothes instead of wearing the same ones for 3 years. but thats just me=]. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I find it a little sad that some people are regretting ever listening to his music! . after you get past the shock of the new sound. theyre really not bad songs. theyre not his best but theyre still pretty good. esp his vocals. I've been into cornell since i was in the 4th grade and even if his new style is different, i really dont mind it at all. i recently looked at my cornell collection and i have a little over 300 songs that are pretty rocken'(not including the live versions n concerts).plus he is only doing the timbaland thing once. really, what is 13 songs compared to 300? pearl jam is one of my favorite bands in the world! they have some songs that im not all that into, but i still look forward to their work and i never regret ever listening to them cuz they have changed my life in ways i cant even imagine. if i had never listened to pearl jam or soundgarden, i might have turned out to be a completely different person!
    Yea. i dont really see how him wearing any jeans or clothes has anything to do with him as a musician. I mean he used to wear all old and ragged clothes back in the early Soundgarden days because he was poor. maybe he got tired of wearing them. if i had money i would get some nice clothes instead of wearing the same ones for 3 years. but thats just me=]. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I find it a little sad that some people are regretting ever listening to his music! . after you get past the shock of the new sound. theyre really not bad songs. theyre not his best but theyre still pretty good. esp his vocals. I've been into cornell since i was in the 4th grade and even if his new style is different, i really dont mind it at all. i recently looked at my cornell collection and i have a little over 300 songs that are pretty rocken'(not including the live versions n concerts).plus he is only doing the timbaland thing once. really, what is 13 songs compared to 300? pearl jam is one of my favorite bands in the world! they have some songs that im not all that into, but i still look forward to their work and i never regret ever listening to them cuz they have changed my life in ways i cant even imagine. if i had never listened to pearl jam or soundgarden, i might have turned out to be a completely different person!

cornell cancelled a show for his fans so he could go to a much more lucrative gig in which a designer jeans company paid him to sings his songs... his fans paid their good money only for their singer to blow them off for a denim promo

he's a cock
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think the remarks about the jeans are to do with the fact that he cancelled some gigs last year to play at a private party for a designer jeans company.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4714734&postcount=1

he cancelled 2 gigs the day before the Utah date... all so he could play a corporate gig for jeans...

cock
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    if i had never listened to pearl jam or soundgarden, i might have turned out to be a completely different person!

Yeah, you might have turned out to be more like Chris Cornell.

I couldn't give a shit what the guy wears but his music and this whole mainstream desperation he is showing is so fucking disgraceful and a joke. I see Chris Cornell as nothing more than a joke nowadays.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Unfortunately with someone like Chris you just can't predict what he's going to do next.

You'd have to imagine it will most likely involve designer jeans
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You'd have to imagine it will most likely involve designer jeans

Well like I've said before, Chris was being styled by designers for tours even back in the Soundgarden days, so really this comes as no shock to me at all.

I think the show he cancelled was probably down to a contractual obligation rather than just 'choosing' one thing over the other. I've never read or seen an interview with him where he hasn't come across as sincere with regards to his fans. He makes a point of doing meet and greets at all of his shows, and in the last year or so he has visited places like Iceland, South Africa and South America - places most bands never bother with.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I like nice jeans, I don't see what the problem is with how someone looks or dresses.
    It's hypocritical to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't wear.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    jamie uk wrote:
    I like nice jeans, I don't see what the problem is with how someone looks or dresses.
    It's hypocritical to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't wear.

I just think it's funny:)

Really not too concerned with what Chris does in his personal life or to make a buck. That aside, I can't stand the music he makes these days. The visual I get when I think of Chris now is almost Scott Stapp'ish. That makes me a little sad inside
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • eyedclaar wrote:

if you mean tht you are going to sell back your cd's and whatnots...then SURE...I will buy them...whatever he does whether you "approve" or "disapprove" doesn't negate his catalog of music. and his talent.

don't buy the solo stuff..only buy the solo stuff...think his career moves are horrifying...whatever...if you are seriously going to like deny the power of his talent and voice (which I assume you previously enjoyed) because he is going to perform with some pop stars...then, I say ahem: I will buy your vinyl version of BMF/SOMM if you have it. I need another one in case of an apocalypse.

by the way, I was disheartened to find out about the Timbaland thing...and some of the songs on the last album was like straight ass into my ears (In my opinion) but...I listen to "Sunshower" practically daily...
    and when I hear "Reach Down"...well dayum son I should blush at my reaction...hahahaa
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • if you mean tht you are going to sell back your cd's and whatnots...then SURE...I will buy them...whatever he does whether you "approve" or "disapprove" doesn't negate his catalog of music. and his talent.

don't buy the solo stuff..only buy the solo stuff...think his career moves are horrifying...whatever...if you are seriously going to like deny the power of his talent and voice (which I assume you previously enjoyed) because he is going to perform with some pop stars...then, I say ahem: I will buy your vinyl version of BMF/SOMM if you have it. I need another one in case of an apocalypse.

by the way, I was disheartened to find out about the Timbaland thing...and some of the songs on the last album was like straight ass into my ears (In my opinion) but...I listen to "Sunshower" practically daily...
    and when I hear "Reach Down"...well dayum son I should blush at my reaction...hahahaa
    This is the interesting part for me: the Timbaland stuff has pulled the rest of his career into sharp focus for me, and I've been listening to Superunknown on a near-daily basis. It's both reassuring, and utterly, completely depressing, like taking a huge dump after being constipated, except you did in your pants.
    It's both reassuring, and utterly, completely depressing, like taking a huge dump after being constipated, except you did in your pants.

That made me laugh out loud...and after the day I've had, I needed it something fierce...
  • This is the interesting part for me: the Timbaland stuff has pulled the rest of his career into sharp focus for me, and I've been listening to Superunknown on a near-daily basis. It's both reassuring, and utterly, completely depressing, like taking a huge dump after being constipated, except you did in your pants.

hahahahaaa BAD MOTOR FINGER, son...BAD MOTOR FINGER

I like depressing. :D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    wcsmith wrote:
    That made me laugh out loud...and after the day I've had, I needed it something fierce...

I laughed out loud at that too. Glad there's still something to laugh about all this.

Al, why don't you make more comic strips on this subject? I really liked that one...
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • I laughed out loud at that too. Glad there's still something to laugh about all this.

Al, why don't you make more comic strips on this subject? I really liked that one...
    I'm scared that they actually are getting back to the man himself. ;)

Nah, who knows? I might do another one. It was really just one in a larger series of comics I'm drawing, but hey, nothing wrong with a running gag, right? :D
  • I don't like anything Cornell has done since Soundgarden, so it's not much of a surprise to me.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I'm scared that they actually are getting back to the man himself. ;)

Nah, who knows? I might do another one. It was really just one in a larger series of comics I'm drawing, but hey, nothing wrong with a running gag, right? :D

Afraid? You should be proud!! :D

Larger series of comics? I wanna see those!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky