Rage Against the Machine live in 2007-08

LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Anybody here seen Rage recently? I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect at Lolla. I don't want any huge spoilers, just a few details. A big point of concern, seeing as my grandfather may tag along to Lolla, is what the crowds are like. Still pretty volatile? I doubt either of us would enjoy it much if we spent the whole time trying to avoid getting sucked into a mosh pit. Thanks in advance.
I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    I saw them at VoodooFest last fall.

Do not bring grandpa.

Expect it to be everything you think it could be multiplied by a thousand.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    its rage... it WILL be crazy... saw them at alpine and it was nuts (and the rain only added to that)... as far as huge spoilers, they dont really mix up the sets that much so expect to see all your favorites

the point being: grandpa will need a new hip if ya bring him along... cant imagine any old people liking todays music anyway (no offense to your grandpa)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Saw 'em twice this year. Made it to the barrier the first time, absolutely insane. One of the best live bands ever, in my opinion.

If you're gonna bring your grandfather, I'd recommend you stay at the back of the crowd and watch from a safe distance (which would be a pity because part of the Rage experience is being IN the crowd).
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • seeing them here in the uk at this years leeds festival CANT WAIT
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • They will play all of your favorites in about 75 minutes of awesomeness. Before you complain about the short set time, just know that is all your body or anyone in the band's body can handle.

You will know what I mean when you're there.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I was at the first of the reunion shows at Coachella last year.

I have never ... ever ... felt energy of an audience like I did during the anticipation, Zach's first words and first strains of Testify when they kicked in ... it was the closest to a human explosion that I have ever experienced.

(Note: this was their first show, and it was southern california)

Set was shorter than I anticipated (maybe 13 - 14 songs) ... but it was still extremely powerful and unforgetable.

Everything I've heard since is that they are still shreading up stages where ever they go ... so, enjoy.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • From what I've seen it looks like an INTENSE experience. I look forward to seeing them at the Reading Festival in August.
  • rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
    I went to Lolla a few years ago for the Chili Peppers as long as you didn't get too close to the front of the crowd it was fine, I made it to the 2nd row and I felt like I was going to be smashed and it was like 90 degrees outside so I went back to my original spot.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Tom Morello hinted about them playing a free gig at the Democratic Convention in Denver.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Seeing them at Lolla - my first time to see them live. I'll probably hang back, but I can't wait.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    pretty fucking awesome. might get a little crazy tho so like others said you'd want to stay way back if you're bringing gramps.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Cosmo wrote:
    Tom Morello hinted about them playing a free gig at the Democratic Convention in Denver.

A show at harriet Island in Saint Paul during the Republican National Convention would be incredible, I've heard it mentioned on local radio as well but they dont' say anything definitive about it just that they've heard rumors.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    insane, they still sound incredible. their setlists haven't varied much though, mostly the big songs, but when you haven't seen them for a decade, that don't matter
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Zack has an ep coming out on july 22nd under the name One Day As A Lion. (with ex-Mars Volta drummer Jon Theodore)

http://www.onedayasalion.org/
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    insane, they still sound incredible. their setlists haven't varied much though, mostly the big songs, but when you haven't seen them for a decade, that don't matter
    Hmm, they've been mixing it up a bit recently. Ashes In The Fall, Clampdown (Clash cover), Without A Face. All cool songs.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    I'm seeing Rage at leeds also, seen em three times before, and I would agree with the many on here, they are hands down the best live act on the planet.

Although in saying that I mean that if it was one night only, there is no one finer, but they do not compare to PJ in terms of endurance - you never get the three hours and you never get the variety, nor do you get any form of banter, its basically the same set every time....but fucking hell its some gig. it really is.

and please if you take Granpa, stand him well well well back. Its a fucking nut case job is a Rage crowd. Even 200 metres back. Glasto 94 they had them bouncing to the back of the field. Absolutely nuts.

Bring on Leeds, and please for gods sake play Freedom (noticed this is one of the few on rotation recently)
  • ^ You'll be pretty unlucky if they don't play Freedom. They've played it at every single gig of their career.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    Thought I read somewhere recently it had been left out.

I once them them play township rebellion and a Freedom mix that was so good it blew my socks off.

Would love to see war within a breath andb year of tha boomerang too however unlikely that is...
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    JaneNY wrote:
    Seeing them at Lolla - my first time to see them live. I'll probably hang back, but I can't wait.
    Jane!! We're seeing Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against The Machine in the same weekend AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!

hahaha
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    Thought I read somewhere recently it had been left out.

I once them them play township rebellion and a Freedom mix that was so good it blew my socks off.

Would love to see war within a breath andb year of tha boomerang too however unlikely that is...
    They're doing the Freedom/Township Rebellion thing every night now. War Within A Breath has been played a few times but Year Of Tha Boomerang is unlikely. Possible though!
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Second time I saw them they played Clampdown (a Clash cover), Ashes in the Fall and War Within a Breath. It was nuts hearing all those in one show!

Their setlists are a lot more varied now than they were in the late 90s. Sure, most songs remain the same but they mix up the order a bit and there's always the possibility of a surprise.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    I saw them in Paris a bit more than a month ago. It was wild !!!
    We were all jumping during the whole show. The intro is pretty sick.
    The setlist is roughly the same at each concert. We got Renegades of Funk which is not on the basic setlist.