The Who-Endless Wire..

2»

Comments

• i listened to it twice and i dont think i'll ever listen to it again.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Endless yawn :(

No power in the rhythm section. This is not your father's Who.

The songwriting is ace, but the rhythm section kills it for me.
  • AstroFan wrote:
    The first time I listened to it I was pretty disappointed, but it has grown on me. Good album overall, and Best Buy has a pretty good deal on it. 3 discs(the album + a bonus CD and DVD of live material, I believe) for around $10.

Really? If that's still going on tomorrow I may stop by and pick it up. Who knows if I'll like it or not but it's worth a shot.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    Really? If that's still going on tomorrow I may stop by and pick it up. Who knows if I'll like it or not but it's worth a shot.

yep. tomorrow is the last day. thats pretty much what i also figured. $9.99 for 3 discs (for the who, no less) is a good deal.
  • Yeah, can't pass that up. I'm not the biggest Who fan, I only have Who's Next and intend on getting a few more but hey, it doesn't hurt with all the extras for that price. After tomorrow it'll go up to something I'll probably never want to pay.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • I gave it a chance, tried to tell myself I thought it wasn't as crap as I thought it would be, then realised it was shite.
  • I've had Misunderstood from Rough Mix in my head all day after hearing Endless Wire Ext. version.
    First impression: I feel as though there is a good deal of re-visiting old material on the album.
    I think of Who's Next, Tommy, Rough Mix, Empty Glass...

I'm not sure about this one yet, I'm hoping this music will grow on me.
  • WonderMikeWonderMike Salem, Mass. Posts: 22
    It took me a couple of days to get around to reading this, but I really enjoyed it.
    Thanks for the nice words, I appreciate it.

And brokenarrow, Townshend said he was going back to notebooks from 1971 for some of the songs (Sound Round, Pick up the Peace, etc), so if some of it feels like Who's Next, then your feeling is right.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
  • some absolute classics and some real duffers but overall pretty much what i expected,the wire and glass story is quality,have you all read the full story? i trust you will have on petes site.
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    It's a Pete solo album with Cookie Monster & Louie Armstrong's love child guesting on "In the Ether"....Don't think I've ever laughed so hard at music ever in my life...just thinking of it makes me giggle...
    be philanthropic
  • WonderMike wrote:
    Thanks for the nice words, I appreciate it.

And brokenarrow, Townshend said he was going back to notebooks from 1971 for some of the songs (Sound Round, Pick up the Peace, etc), so if some of it feels like Who's Next, then your feeling is right.

I'm glad to read that, thank you. Knowing that will give me a different perspective next time I put it on.
    I know with some of the 'Scooped' material he'd said something similar to that....
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    After 2 listens i can say i do like the album, hopefully it will grow on me more.
    In the Ether is a stinker though for sure.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I had a chance to listen to it once through last night. It made me laugh and it made me cry and that is exactly what Pete Townshend has always been able to do for me – MAKE ME FEEL.

Once again, he has succeeded. I think it sounds more like a Townshend solo project than your typical Who album, but I think that is due to the lack of Entwistle’s involvement.

Someone here said they thought You Stand by Me was for Roger, I disagree, I think it’s for the fans – who have stood by him all these years.

What he went through a few years back had to be extremely difficult to deal with and the fact that he had the courage to not only come back into the public eye so strongly, with a new Who album and their first ever world-wide tour, has to be because he knew the fans stood by him.

That’s my two cents anyway :)

I really did enjoy it and can't wait till I get more time this weekend to listen again and again.

Pete published liner notes on his site and he discusses every song. I think it does spoil it somewhat though (one of the reasons PJ is usually mum on the subject), but he does say You Stand By Me is written for Roger and Rachel, although it probably does mean the same for his fans too.

Why does everybody hate In the Ether, I like that they're doing something different that's not usually done in rock music, and think its really cool way to introduce the character who tells the Wire & Glass story. Anyways, my $0.02
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I've had Misunderstood from Rough Mix in my head all day after hearing Endless Wire Ext. version.
    First impression: I feel as though there is a good deal of re-visiting old material on the album.
    I think of Who's Next, Tommy, Rough Mix, Empty Glass...

I'm not sure about this one yet, I'm hoping this music will grow on me.

it's funny you say that, I agree

I also hear Psychoderlict, Iron Man, etc.

but I think it's kind of cool, it's almost like a Pete Townshend biography

cool with me
  • i gave this one more listen today just to make sure its really as bad as my first impression.

it is. what a shame.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    ii44 wrote:
    In the Either rocks!!!11!!!1!! The entire Albumis great!

The Bouns discs are terrible though. I can't believe they couldn't find a better concert to pull material from. Daltrey is struglling so badly on the DVD I feel bad for him. Seriously how could they release that show?

Watching it as I type this. Holy Balls of Shit is this Terrible!!!!! He looks likes he's either seriously constipated or on the verge on a heart attack! I feel bad for Roger! I haven't put in the new album yet. That will be next. On the flip side Pete looks and sounds incredible! Same with Zak & Pino!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    yep. tomorrow is the last day. thats pretty much what i also figured. $9.99 for 3 discs (for the who, no less) is a good deal.

Bought the last copy today after the sale for $13.99. Still not a bad deal for 3 discs!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • ManuManu Posts: 40
    Bought "Endless Wire" today. It's not a bad album at all, I like it a lot more now than when I listened to it for the first time, and it's still growing even more. An album that needs some time, definitely.
    2000-06-23 Zurich
    2006-09-13 Bern
  • In the bridge for Fragments when the lyrics are "Are we the parts?" etc.... the melody is VERY similar to Whale Song. I couldn't figure it out, but I finally did. Everyone listen for it!
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i can't believe i ordered this cd weeks ago and it still has not arrived. geez.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I don't think that "In the ether" is that bad at all. He tries his Tom Waits voice at first but it is not a bad song.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    ZepZach wrote:
    In the bridge for Fragments when the lyrics are "Are we the parts?" etc.... the melody is VERY similar to Whale Song. I couldn't figure it out, but I finally did. Everyone listen for it!

hmmm youre right. i knew that part sounded familiar
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
    i just got endless wire today. i love it. what great songwriting. i cannot wait for this show!
  • the who are/were cool, but i've always thought they're overrated. the who died with keith moon. this album's just half of the who, but they're still calling it the who to shift units.
    statistics wrote:
    the who are/were cool, but i've always thought they're overrated. the who died with keith moon. this album's just half of the who, but they're still calling it the who to shift units.

i disagree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. overrated???? you gotta be kidding me. they have every right to call themselves the who with roger daltrey and pete as the main songwriters. and i give them kudos, for doing just as the stones do, which is continue the touring magic.
  • Just saw them live 2wice and my god they are amazing!!!

if you have a chance you MUST see this show (altho the 2nd time I saw them they played their mini opera all in a clump which made more sense than spread among the high hits...) totally brilliant.

AND they have been playing Imminent Front which is just awesome...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I have been listening to it for three or four days now and each time I get something new out of this album. Firstly its not going to the classic who album. how could it half the band is death.
    there is periods of brillance that match anything that they have done before.
    Roger's voice is as strongs as ever on songs like " Man in a purple dress" and "Sound round".

Townshend quieter vocals excel on " God Speaks Of Marty Robbins" "you stand by me".

Got get it , its one of the albums of the year.

Have they played any of the new material yet?
  • It's a Pete solo album with Cookie Monster & Louie Armstrong's love child guesting on "In the Ether"....Don't think I've ever laughed so hard at music ever in my life...just thinking of it makes me giggle...

I was thinking it was a mix between Kermit the Frog and Tom Waits... either way, there is a muppet involved somewhere in that song. :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    fada wrote:
    Have they played any of the new material yet?

I'll be seeing them this weekend, but just looking at the last few setlists, it looks like they usually play these new songs live:

Fragments
    Sound Round
    Pick Up The Peace
    Endless Wire
    We Got A Hit
    They Made My Dreams Come True
    Mirror Door
    Man In A Purple Dress
    Black Widows Eyes
    Mike Post Theme
    Tea & Theater

The only song I consistently skip on the new album is "In The Ether".