The Who-Endless Wire..

JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
edited November 2006 in Other Music
What are your thoughts on the album? Did anybody even buy it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• going to pick it up today after work. hopefully it rocks.
  • I bought it, it's not bad. I don't think it will be a classic album, but I think I will pop it in every now and then...
  • i bought the combo pack with the dvd yesterday...though i also bought 2 other new releases from different artists the same day

any new music from pete is VERY welcomed...i can almost bet it wont suck
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    its better than its hard lol....thats all we could really hope for. i think besides 'in the ether' there isn't a bad song, and some of them are actually damn good. "It's Not Enough", "Mike Post Theme," "Sound Round", and "Pick up the Peace" stand out so far, but I haven't really listened to it in depth yet
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    LedZepFan wrote:
    its better than its hard lol....thats all we could really hope for. i think besides 'in the ether' there isn't a bad song, and some of them are actually damn good. "It's Not Enough", "Mike Post Theme," "Sound Round", and "Pick up the Peace" stand out so far, but I haven't really listened to it in depth yet
    I feel the same way. I haven't really finished listing to the album yet, and I think it's gonna take a few days for meto really get the whole deph of this record. Seems like it has a little of everything. I like what I've heard so far, but there a few tracks that I hope grow on me.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • andychandych Posts: 130
    lots of nice acoustic stuff...

"you stand by me"..is im sure for roger..
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    The first time I listened to it I was pretty disappointed, but it has grown on me. Good album overall, and Best Buy has a pretty good deal on it. 3 discs(the album + a bonus CD and DVD of live material, I believe) for around $10.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    In the Either rocks!!!11!!!1!! The entire Albumis great!

The Bouns discs are terrible though. I can't believe they couldn't find a better concert to pull material from. Daltrey is struglling so badly on the DVD I feel bad for him. Seriously how could they release that show?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    it's on back order and i should get it soon.... i am bummed to hear these reviews. guess i shouldn't have listened when the ads compared it to quad...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • If you like THe Who you will love this album, if not well.... Its classic who at what they do best. Very good album Roger sounds great. The only thing that would have made the album any better, maybe a little ed.
  • The Who was the band I embraced to get over my grief that the The Beatles were not, in fact, ever going to reunite. I was twelve. They released Quadrophenia the next year and it changed my entire musical life.

I bought Endless Wire on Halloween ... at a big box store (ick.) but only because if I bought a copy there, it came with an extra live CD (which is really, really good.) I walked in when the store opened and made a bee-line to the display with two men about my age who clearly were feeling the same anticipation I was. Twenty four years is a long time to wait for a brand new studio album from a band who means a lot to you.

I've listened to it a couple of times now and, not only am I not disappointed, but it already feels like an old friend. I'm really proud of Pete and Roger for carrying on and getting this music out there. I missed them on tour (I'm never going to pay those prices for a rock show when I can see something energetic and fabulous for $10 downtown,) but I'm glad that they're still performing and that there still exists a creative energy within The Who. I'm hearing it on this record and it is good.

On a side note, I asked my hyper-critical, but musically serious teenager, what she thought about Endless Wire. She said she liked it ... it sounded familiar and comfortable. This is a child who, at four, announced that she was sick of Quadrophenia. I reminded her that no one else her age even knew what Quadrophenia was. Then, at twelve, she adopted "The Real Me" as one of her personal theme songs. I told her to give up on rebellion since I had already beaten her to it.

And this is another reason why I love The Who. They're going to get us through this whole life.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    The Who was the band I embraced to get over my grief that the The Beatles were not, in fact, ever going to reunite. I was twelve. They released Quadrophenia the next year and it changed my entire musical life.

I bought Endless Wire on Halloween ... at a big box store (ick.) but only because if I bought a copy there, it came with an extra live CD (which is really, really good.) I walked in when the store opened and made a bee-line to the display with two men about my age who clearly were feeling the same anticipation I was. Twenty four years is a long time to wait for a brand new studio album from a band who means a lot to you.

I've listened to it a couple of times now and, not only am I not disappointed, but it already feels like an old friend. I'm really proud of Pete and Roger for carrying on and getting this music out there. I missed them on tour (I'm never going to pay those prices for a rock show when I can see something energetic and fabulous for $10 downtown,) but I'm glad that they're still performing and that there still exists a creative energy within The Who. I'm hearing it on this record and it is good.

On a side note, I asked my hyper-critical, but musically serious teenager, what she thought about Endless Wire. She said she liked it ... it sounded familiar and comfortable. This is a child who, at four, announced that she was sick of Quadrophenia. I reminded her that no one else her age even knew what Quadrophenia was. Then, at twelve, she adopted "The Real Me" as one of her personal theme songs. I told her to give up on rebellion since I had already beaten her to it.

And this is another reason why I love The Who. They're going to get us through this whole life.

YOU, my friend, just convinced me to buy it. i'm going to pick it up today as soon as Best Buy opens. THANKS FOR WRITING THIS POST. :)
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • i bought it. it's alright. nothing mindblowing
  • VH1 Classic will be showing the mini Endless Wire opera at 9:30pm this Saturday night.
    hopefully they re-play it sometime...damn wedding i have to go to.
  • The last time the Who released a record, the Cardinals won the World Series, and now they release Endless Wire and what happens? The Cardinals win another World Series. Put another one out next year Pete!
    Hells yeah! Go Pete! Go Cards!
  • WonderMikeWonderMike Salem, Mass. Posts: 22
    I have a review I wrote of this album on my site. And to be honest, it really didn't do it for me at first, but now I'm really into it. It hasn't left my car since Tuesday morning, and now I feel like it's very close to the best of Pete Townshend's solo stuff, only now he has Roger on vocals.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
    WonderMike wrote:
    I have a review I wrote of this album on my site. And to be honest, it really didn't do it for me at first, but now I'm really into it. It hasn't left my car since Tuesday morning, and now I feel like it's very close to the best of Pete Townshend's solo stuff, only now he has Roger on vocals.

Good review!
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    The album is amazing in my opinion..I would never hope in my wildest dreams that a The Who album anno 2006 would sound this good..

Pete is my main man!:D

In the ether is the coolest vocals i have ever heard from Pete
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    as an AVID Who fan, I can tell you it often takes a few listens to really get into a Who record, but when you get it, YOU GET IT

and I think that is what a lot of you are saying

so those who were not necessarily thrilled at first, give it a few more tries.

I know I'm biased, but Pete Townshend is brilliant and I know he wouldn't put anything out there as a new Who album that didn't rate

Can't wait to get home and really delve into this new release.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    as an AVID Who fan, I can tell you it often takes a few listens to really get into a Who record, but when you get it, YOU GET IT

i don't have MONTHS, Pure. :p
    I know I'm biased, but Pete Townshend is brilliant and I know he wouldn't put anything out there as a new Who album that didn't rate

it just seems WRONG that i'm listening to it before YOU. :D i have to say, Pure, you'll be in heaven. i just got done listening to Endless Wire and it's SOOOOO GOOOOOD...and that's only my first listen.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    PJammin' wrote:
    i don't have MONTHS, Pure. :p

it just seems WRONG that i'm listening to it before YOU. :D i have to say, Pure, you'll be in heaven. i just got done listening to Endless Wire and it's SOOOOO GOOOOOD...and that's only my first listen.

well, technically, I've heard some of it live before, so . . .

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I could put it on here at work, but I have a kind of ritual when I listen to new music for the first time - no distractions, don't even look at the words or anything, get comfortable and give it a listen straight through just to get the feel for it

GOD I CAN'T WAIT
  • This album is fantastic.
    Some of the best Townshend lyrics ever.
    Daltrey sounds great.
    The extended Endless Wire is superb.
    The whole thing is just right.
    Can't wait to hear the Pete solo album from left over material.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • I picked it up today, listening to it now....Mike Post Theme just started...

24 years since the last time I picked up a 'new' Who album that was just released.

:D

It's a good day.

and I think that is what a lot of you are saying

so those who were not necessarily thrilled at first, give it a few more tries.

This is my first NEW Who record, and your exactly right. It took me a couple of spins to like the Wire & Glass EP, and when I first heard In the Ether, I was like, "what in the hell???" but I totally loved it the next time through. It's amazing that "The 2" are more "The Who" now then they were in the 80s.
  • WonderMikeWonderMike Salem, Mass. Posts: 22
    ii44 wrote:
    Good review!
    Thank you! Much appreciated.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
  • WonderMike wrote:

It took me a couple of days to get around to reading this, but I really enjoyed it.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Just finished listening to this album, and I like it. I think as listen to it more I will like it even more. Oh, and I agree with Towsertunes that the extended Endless Wire is superb.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • I really like it a lot. I was pleasantly surprised. I just love Pete Townshend's work.
    I had a chance to listen to it once through last night. It made me laugh and it made me cry and that is exactly what Pete Townshend has always been able to do for me – MAKE ME FEEL.

Once again, he has succeeded. I think it sounds more like a Townshend solo project than your typical Who album, but I think that is due to the lack of Entwistle’s involvement.

Someone here said they thought You Stand by Me was for Roger, I disagree, I think it’s for the fans – who have stood by him all these years.

What he went through a few years back had to be extremely difficult to deal with and the fact that he had the courage to not only come back into the public eye so strongly, with a new Who album and their first ever world-wide tour, has to be because he knew the fans stood by him.

That’s my two cents anyway :)

I really did enjoy it and can't wait till I get more time this weekend to listen again and again.