Pumpkins in the studio with...

GivenToFlyFreakGivenToFlyFreak Posts: 86
edited October 2006 in Other Music
... Terry Date!!! He's done some great stuff with heavy hitting bands, in fact he produced &/or engineered Soundgarden's 'Louder Than Love', 'Badmotorfinger', 'A-Sides' and Mother Love Bone's 'Apple'. That and they were working with Roy Thomas Baker before... I'd say this record has some SERIOUS POTENTIAL!!!

Here's the myspace blog Jimmy Chamberlain wrote today:

Greetings and salutations! Its been a hectic week for JC as we have been tracking drums non stop. Things are sounding fantastic. Tracking drums is a bit like going to another planet for four or five or nine minutes. We recently finished up working with Roy Thomas Baker, (Queen, The Cars!), Working with RTB was not only an honor, but also one of the best musical experiences we have ever had. We are currently working with Terry Date (Pantera, Soundgarden!) and that is going great as well. The universe has a way of letting you know that things are right by introducing people like RTB and Terry into the fold. It..s all part of one big cosmic journey, in so that everyone reading this is hitching their silver chord to the Great Pumpkin Space Train! Hope this helps clear some things up for you. Don't forget to cast your eyes skyward this weekend.... You may see a shooting star. Love JC

I for one can't wait!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    NICE, thanks for posting man.. i am really anxious to hear this aswell... especially cause Jimmy is with them for it
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    What do you think will come out first? Chinese Democracy or New Pumpkins?
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • world wrote:

The new Pumpkins disc. Probably another one after that before G 'n R get their act together.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • The Great Pumpkin Space Train? okay.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • New Pumpkins album is GONNA ROCK!!! I don't care what ppl say, this album is gonna be huge!!!! But hey, we'll hopefully have some good mainstream music once again.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • should be pretty heavy then
  • The Great Pumpkin Space Train? okay.

I think/hope that JC was reffering to this, not as the album title, but rather by him posting blogs, we're all on this journey together. I could be wrong, but that just just the way I interpreted it.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • I can't wait to hear what they come up with, I'm betting it will be fucking incredible. Hopefully Billy has got all that electronic crap out of his system and he'll be rocking the guitar again!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    I can't wait to hear what they come up with, I'm betting it will be fucking incredible. Hopefully Billy has got all that electronic crap out of his system and he'll be rocking the guitar again!

ammeeen

but some electronic shit was good. Like pug ava adore
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    ammeeen

but some electronic shit was good. Like pug ava adore

Yeah, Ava Adore was a wicked song, along with The End is the Beginning is the End. I never minded the electro-tinged stuff, but a lot of Adore was just too much for my liking, especially when there were two incredible guitarists in the band.
  • Anyone know if Iha is back? I sure hope so.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I have a lot of Terry Date albums in my collection. All of them have this thing going on in the high end that sound like glass to me. It can be cool, or it can be painful.

I hope that he doesn't put that "thing" on the Pumpkins stuff.
  • world wrote:
    Don't be an idiot. This record is actually happening. Billy Corgan is a psycho work-a-holic.

Amazing news too! thank you! :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • enharmonic wrote:
    I have a lot of Terry Date albums in my collection. All of them have this thing going on in the high end that sound like glass to me. It can be cool, or it can be painful.

I hope that he doesn't put that "thing" on the Pumpkins stuff.
    I think that was more of an 80's - 1992ish thing. He wasn't the only one doing it.. for some reason most albums from that era sound like that.. Ten, Dirt,.. (not Gish :p ) you know the drill. MLB sounds nice and warm though.. he does a good job I think. Billy is too in charge of his own music to let something that he doesn't like happen.. Even the heaviest of the pumpkins' songs still avoid that ear bleeding metal sound.

"Make our day"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Anyone know if Iha is back? I sure hope so.

nope he's not in
  • heh..no Iha eh? I shouldn't be finding that surprising. Curious who is filling in his place?

And Terry Date..thats always a positive aspect, I adore most of everything he has produced, i'm curious to see the results to this.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I think that was more of an 80's - 1992ish thing. He wasn't the only one doing it.. for some reason most albums from that era sound like that.. Ten, Dirt,.. (not Gish :p ) you know the drill. MLB sounds nice and warm though.. he does a good job I think. Billy is too in charge of his own music to let something that he doesn't like happen.. Even the heaviest of the pumpkins' songs still avoid that ear bleeding metal sound.

That's a great observation. I hope you're right :)
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    should be pretty heavy then
    machina was heavy and SUCKED (but still better than 99% of releases out there)
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

hahahahahahah
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:

WHATEVER DUDE!!! Machina rocked!!!!! And yeah it was better than all those fuckers who thought they were the shit!!!

"You know I'm not dead..."
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:

Most of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was heavy and it RULED so i'm hoping for positive results.
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    nope he's not in
    Don't be so sure..

There are rumors going around (supposedly spread by the keyboard player who was not asked to be in studio with them so they could 'find their roots' or something like that) that Iha is in studio...

"Make our day"
  • Machina is one of the best albums made in the last 25 years. And I could say that about all the pumpkins' records (and I do..). Just cuz you don't click with a certain type of music doesn't mean it isn't incredible.

"Make our day"
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I BrisK I wrote:
    nope he's not in

I'm not trying to be an ass, but do you really know this or is this what you think? Just curious.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Machina is one of the best albums made in the last 25 years. And I could say that about all the pumpkins' records (and I do..). Just cuz you don't click with a certain type of music doesn't mean it isn't incredible.

do you drink a lot of kool-aid?
    You've gotta be kidding me...Machina was by far the worst thing SP ever did, and it had horrendously crappy production, the guitars were so overprocessed it suck the life out of a lot of the riffs.

I'm hoping the inclusion of Terry Date will give SP back their crunch, which they lost at some point after '96 or so.
  • If you do'nt like the more electronica driven sound of course you're going to hate Machina and Adore. Especially when they're put up against Siamese Dream and MCIS.. Those albums click with me (and a LOT of other fans..) and absolutely floor me. I see why you'd not like them, but you're dead wrong about their quality.

"Make our day"
    Machina is one of the best albums made in the last 25 years. And I could say that about all the pumpkins' records (and I do..). Just cuz you don't click with a certain type of music doesn't mean it isn't incredible.
    siamese dream was the pinnacle!

MCIS was the "commercial success"(but a slight downfall fans you know this) adore was a different direction (which i liked but had inflated numbers based off MCIS) and machina was Hey remember MCIS? Maybe we can sell some records again!
    Machina is one of the best albums made in the last 25 years. And I could say that about all the pumpkins' records (and I do..). Just cuz you don't click with a certain type of music doesn't mean it isn't incredible.

IMO

MCIS was the "commercial success"(but a slight downfall fans you know this) adore was a different direction (which i liked but had inflated numbers based off MCIS) and machina was Hey remember MCIS? Maybe we can sell some records again!

But hey i think pj peaked with nocode and slid down a ledge and then off it with avacado
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:

MCIS is the masterpiece of Smashing Pumpkins. It's just GREAT.
    It's so stupid to put down a album just because it was a comercial sucess...
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!