Top Ten Albums that changed your life...

2»

Comments

• spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    ten. green mind. small change. pretty hate machine. appetite for destruction. pleased to meet me. the real thing. nothing's shocking. anodyne. copper blue.

honorable mention: vs, vitalogy, tim, stereo, disintegration, straight outta compton, beggar's banquet, cereal killers, alive II, ramonesmania, and justice for all, dry, new day rising, comedian, crooked rain, swordfishtrombones.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    1. Kiss - Dynasty
    2. Def Leppard - Pyromania
    3. The Clash - Combat Rock
    4. Run DMC - Raising Hell
    5. Beastie Boys - License to Ill
    6. RHCP - Uplift Mofo Party Plan
    7. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
    8. Temple of the Dog - s/t
    9. Pearl Jam - Ten
    10. Heatmiser - Mic City Sons
    NERDS!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Sgt. Pepper's by a mile. I was real young and got into it by way of my dad. I remember the first time I heard Mr. Kite. wow.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    The albums that made me think holy f...

Early on (The foundation)
    The Doors - The Doors
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy and Zep 1
    The Beatles - White Album
    Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
    Fleetwood Mac -Rumors

Duran Duran - Rio (yeah know some will laugh but it was a moment)
    Def Leppard - Pyromania
    The Police -Synchronicity
    GNR - Appetite for Destruction

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    U2 - The Joshua Tree
    TOTD -
    Alice N Chains - Dirt (can not listen to this great album often because it depresses me -but love it)
    Soundgarden -Superunkown
    RHCP - BSSM
    Nirvana -Nevermind
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • Only 3 for me...

Pearl Jam - No Code
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

I just told my girlfriend that I was posting a response to this question and she pegged all three albums, she knows me too well :D
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I'm not sure I can pick ten albums that changed my life but I can list the albums that shaped my musical taste. In order no less :)

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pearl Jam - Ten

Hendrix was my musical awakening. Led Zep and Floyd shaped my taste in music but I was then stuck in a rut for a while with a very narrow taste in music. Ten blew me away and literally blew the fucking doors wide open with regards to my taste in music. After that I listened to much more music, was open to many different styles of music and thus developed my own real taste in music rather than allowing it to be confined by others.

While I have since heard many albums that I regard as better than Ten no album has had an impact on me like that album did. I hope that I can add another few albums to the list but I'm still waiting.
  • top ten albums that changed my life... ahh, those were the days

Pearl Jam - Yield
    Zao - Self-titled
    Deftones - Around the Fur
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Cafe Tacuba - Re
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (i know it's not their best, but it changed my life)

ummm... those are the only ones i can think of
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    (not that i'm ashamed of it in any way whatsoever, i just feel this album has got enough fans here already)

yield

this album changed everything in terms of music for me 9 years ago
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    In order of my introduction into the world of music.

1. Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (first CD I ever owned)
    2. Pump Up The Volume soundtrack (the movie more than the CD. not that the whole CD was great, but there were some damn good cuts, notably "Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)" by the Pixies)
    3. Pearl Jam - Ten
    4. Nirvana - Nevermind
    5. The Doors Greatest Hits
    6. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    7. RATM - RATM
    8. Nirvana - In Utero
    9. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    10. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Stp - Core
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Gnr - Appetite
    Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Grateful Dead - Hundred Year Hall
    Phish - Junta
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Metallica - Black Album
    Radiohead - The Bends

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    in no order :
    ratm - ratm
    rhcp - blood sugar sex magik
    pearl jam - vitalogy
    metallica - ride the lightning
    qotsa - rated r
    noir désir - veuillez rendre l'âme
    jimi hendrix - are you experienced (the first hendrix I owned)
    the doors - best of
    led zeppelin - remasters
    pink floyd - dark side of the moon

I haven't listened to half of these albums in a loooong time. So thanks for the idea, I'm gonna dig up a few of those!
  • rothdawgrothdawg Posts: 8
    Ten
    VS
    GnR-Appetite for Destruction
    Blind Melon-Nico
    Blind Melon-Soup
    Led Zep-IV
    Pink Floyd-The Wall
    Phish-Rift
    Alice in Chains-Jar of Flies
    Alice in Chains-Unplugged
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    In no particular order:

U2- The Joshua Tree
    The Tragically Hip- Up to Here
    Guns N' Roses- Appetite for Destruction
    The Doors- The Doors
    Pearl Jam- Ten
    Nirvana- Nevermind
    Tom Waits- Rain Dogs
    Rheostatics- Whale Music
    Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
    The Weakerthans- Left and Leaving
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Only 3 for me...

Pearl Jam - No Code
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

I just told my girlfriend that I was posting a response to this question and she pegged all three albums, she knows me too well :D

You have an awesome gf. You should treat her to something special or just give her a $100 or something.
    Don't gimme no lip
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    PJ-VS
    The Clash-London Calling
    The Cure-Standing On A Beach
    The Jesus And Mary Chain-Pschocandy
    Spiritualized-Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
    Bad Religion-Against The Grain
    The Strokes-Is This It
    Skinny Puppy-Cleanse, Fold And Manipulate
    Afghan Whigs-Gentlemen
    John Coltrane-Blue Train
    Fugazi-13 Songs
    Pixies-Doolittle
    RATM-RATM
    Beastie Boys-Check Your Head
    Dead Kennedys-Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

So it's fifteen and not ten. I couldn't narrow it down much further.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Pearl Jam – Vs. (purchased in 1993... my first rock album… bought it after hearing “Go” on 98Rock in the early 1990s… never listened to dance music like Technotronic, MC Hammer and C&C Music Factory ever again)

Pearl Jam - Ten (purchased one week later...)

TLC - CrazySexyCool (purchased in 1994... album that my first girlfriend and I listened to a lot...)

Nas – It Was Written (purchased in 1996... got me into real hip-hop)

Nas - Illmatic (purchased a few days later...)

Pearl Jam – No Code (purchased in 1996. last rock album I purchased until 2005… returned it to the store and stopped listening to rock until 2005. hip-hop was strong as ever in the summer of 1996, while rock was losing its edge right around then... no code was the final straw... "no thanks," I said... give me it was written, ATLiens, reasonable doubt, illadelphalflife, and beats rhymes & life)

Gangstarr – Moment of Truth (purchased in 1998... i own over a thousand albums -- rock, rap and jazz -- and this is the one that i would take with me if i could select only one... first rap album that got me to see shit on the 360 instead of one-dimensionally)

DJ Premier’s Reality Check 101 (purchased in 1998... got me into underground hip-hop)

Nas - Stillmatic (purchased in 2001... Stillmatic and Takeover brought mainstream back... it's too bad that rap music has been going downhill ever since)

Pearl Jam – Toronto 2005 Bootleg (purchased in 2005... CD of the concert that got me into rock music again)
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    How about 1?

Quadrophenia meant/means everything

Thanks Pete!!!! :)

OK I'll add a couple more:
    So
    Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
    London Calling
    The Lamb Lies Down
    Duke
    Born To Run
    Mutiny Up My Sleeve
    Back In Black
    Farewell To Kings
    New Gold Dream
    Pop Goes the World

OK I give up...there are at least 5 more that split open my mind and made me go hmmmmmmm ;)
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Odin wrote:
    Pearl Jam – Toronto 2005 Bootleg (purchased in 2005... CD of the concert that got me into rock music again)

Welcome back :D
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    bookmuse wrote:
    Welcome back :D

Thanks! :D
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    PJ....Vitalogy
    PJ....Ten
    U2.....Achtung Baby
    Guns N Roses.....Appetite for Destruction
    Tricky...Maxinquaye
    Massive Attack V Mad Professor.....No Protection
    Rolling Stones....Beggars Banquet
    King Crimson....Red
    Jimi Hendix....Are you Experienced
    PJ Harvey....4-Track Demos
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    nocode23 wrote:
    PJ-VS

Spiritualized-Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

I used to wallow in this album, saw them on the tour for that album, not so good I felt. Was the 10th anniversary not so long ago.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    PJ- Ten
    NIN- Pretty Hate Machine
    Filter- Title of record
    U2- War
    Live- Throwing Copper
    PJ- Riot Act
    Mother Love Bone- Apple
    Deep Purple- Machine Head
    PJ- Lost Dogs Disc 1
    Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory
    The Mountain Goats- The Sunset Tree (thanks again whoever recommended this buy)

P.S. It goes to 11.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    2. Weird Al Yankovic - "Dare to be Stupid"

Soooo much props on the Dare to be Stupid nod!

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Duran Duran - Rio
    GNR - Appetite For Destruction
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
    Cure - Disintegration
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    Harry Connick Jr. - We Are In Love
    Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville
    Pearl Jam - Binaural

...and I can't pick a Tragically Hip album, because it seems like they've just always been there... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Nirvana- Nevermind
    PearlJam- Vs
    PearlJam- Yield
    RHCP- BSSM
    Madonna- Like a Virgin
    Cyndi Lauper- She's so Unusual
    Whitestripes-white blood cells
    Who- Who's Next
    Ryan Adams- Gold
    AFI-AOD
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    elmer wrote:
    P
    King Crimson....Red
    Props to one of my favorite albums of all time (if not my favorite). I included "Young Person's Guide to King Crimson" on life changing list because it made me aware of the existence of "Red". Great Call.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    in the order of my life:
    1. Chuck Berry - Greatest Hits (first album I ever owned and laid the foundation for my love of rock music)
    2. Led Zeppelin - IV (Dad played this for me when I was about 7 and it just blew me away)
    3. Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View (got me into more modern 90s rock)
    4. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (album that got me interested in PJ and began my love of this wonderful band)
    5. Nirvana - Nevermind (along with Vitalogy, this album got me interested in the whole grunge scene, which would ultimately become my favorite genre)
    6. Limp Bizkit - Significant Other (showed me how horrible the rap-rock thing was and made me vow to never voluntarily listen to it again)
    7. Ben Folds Five - Whatever And Ever Amen (introduced me to piano pop-rock, which is awesome)
    8. Sleater-Kinney - All Hands On The Bade One (other than Ben Folds Five, only post-grunge band I listened to for a while)
    9. Sonic Youth - Goo (introduced me to the genius that is Sonic Youth)
    10. Vivaldi - Vivaldi (not in order of my life as I don't remember exactly where it fits in, but it's a double disc compilation with works such as Gloria and the 4 Seasons that got me interested in Classical music)
  • 1) Pearl Jam - Avocado

2) Pink Floyd - The Wall

3) Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

4) Kind of Pink Floyd - DSOTM, but time changed my life when the only version I'd heard was from DSOT

5) Pearl Jam - Riot Act

6) Pink Floyd - Animals

7) Pink Floyd - WYWH

8) David Gray - White Ladder

9) Counting Crows - recovering the satellites

10) Counting Crows - This Desert Life
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section