2008 rock and roll hall of fame nominees

2»

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    even flow? wrote:
    Well Phil was half black and played a good bass and poured his heart out into his lyrics about his love, drugs, alcohol. So according to you Thin Lizzy should have an edge over most bands. This just in: Living Color to be inducted into the RRHF. :)
    True.......they're going to hit Thin Lizzy with the commercial argument....they didn't sell a bunch of records or something stupid along those lines.

I would post better odds for Living Color that were better than Rush's. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    I would say that Grand Funk has about the same chances as I do of getting inducted, and that's not meant to be taken as a knock by me against Grand Funk.

"The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner... the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher... the competent drumwork of Don Brewer..."

As a former resident of Flint, I'd like to see them honored, but their chances are slim to none.

I agree there needs to be more recognition of influential prog-rock groups.

However, I have no problem with Madonna. She turned pop music upside down in the early 80's and continued to evolve and re-invent her sound throughout the years.

Don't get hung up on the "Rock N Roll" portion of the title...it's a "Music Hall of Fame".

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    "The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner... the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher... the competent drumwork of Don Brewer..."

one of homer's all time great quotes.....:D
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    How many albums have the Beastie's put out. I mean, for a band goin into the hall of fame, isn't their output kinda low.

not too small

but no one can underestimate the influence Pauls boutique has had on music

For better or worse, that record is a sampling masterpiece
    The Beasties also started the whole rock and rap thing (linkin park etc...)

NO question they are a musically ground breaking group

and if you think the beasties best work is "no sleep til brooklyn," please refrain from commenting until youve listened to Pauls boutique 25 times and ill communication 25 time
    dont be surprised by madonna's nomination

the founder of the Hall is gay and we know how much gays love Madaonna

j/k

:)
  • Get_Right wrote:
    not too small

but no one can underestimate the influence Pauls boutique has had on music

For better or worse, that record is a sampling masterpiece
    The Beasties also started the whole rock and rap thing (linkin park etc...)

NO question they are a musically ground breaking group

and if you think the beasties best work is "no sleep til brooklyn," please refrain from commenting until youve listened to Pauls boutique 25 times and ill communication 25 time

Agreed but also include Check your Head which was there first album that used instruments (Whatcha Want, Gratitude, etc).

Plus I love No Sleep til Brooklyn!
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • HOF is a joke.

these nominees are a joke.

the end
    Agreed but also include Check your Head which was there first album that used instruments (Whatcha Want, Gratitude, etc).

Plus I love No Sleep til Brooklyn!

good point
  • GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    tybird wrote:
    :D:D:D

I remembered which Beastie's album the tour supported....but which Madonna album was it????

I'm pretty sure it was Like A Virgin. That was the last time Madonna did a show in the Tampa area, and the Beastie Boys did indeed open for them. The T-shirts sold at the show said "Virgin Tour" on them, and there was some controversy when one of the Tampa schools banned kids from wearing the shirts.
    Don't threaten me with a good time.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Galiana wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it was Like A Virgin. That was the last time Madonna did a show in the Tampa area, and the Beastie Boys did indeed open for them. The T-shirts sold at the show said "Virgin Tour" on them, and there was some controversy when one of the Tampa schools banned kids from wearing the shirts.
    Sounds about right....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • "Let me tell you what 'Like a Virgin' is about..."

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    why the hell madonna is nominated?

this is ROCK 'N ROLL HOF?

they should create POP MUSIC Hall of Fame.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    even flow? wrote:
    Well Phil was half black and played a good bass and poured his heart out into his lyrics about his love, drugs, alcohol. So according to you Thin Lizzy should have an edge over most bands. This just in: Living Color to be inducted into the RRHF. :)

What about the fuckin' Bad Brains??? In fact, where are ANY of the punk bands??? You've got your token punks with the Ramones and Patti Smith, but that's it. Where's X, Black Flag, Bad Religion and the Bad Brains???
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    However, I have no problem with Madonna. She turned pop music upside down in the early 80's and continued to evolve and re-invent her sound throughout the years.

Don't get hung up on the "Rock N Roll" portion of the title...it's a "Music Hall of Fame".

PBM

exactly pbm. like i said in a previous post, there will always be a band or artist left out, although i'm sure everyone on the board will LOVE the rrhof when pj gets inducted.

and this is the first year that any band or artist that released a single in 1982 is eligible.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    It is so fitting that the ceremony is being ignored on this board.

At the end of her acceptance speech Madonna says: "I have done many things in my life (blahblahblah), but in the end for me it always goes back to the music"

*leaves without performing*

???
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    meme wrote:
    It is so fitting that the ceremony is being ignored on this board.

At the end of her acceptance speech Madonna says: "I have done many things in my life (blahblahblah), but in the end for me it always goes back to the music"

*leaves without performing*

???

she couldn't perform because you have to actually play music and sing to it live at the r&r hof ceremonies.....:D:D
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i just happened to be flipping the channels and caught iggy pop performing 'burning up'.

was about ready to throw my fucking television out the window lol

irony? iggy pop is NOT in the HOF.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yeah I didn't bother to turn it on. I was busy watching the Springsteen Nassau setlist unfold.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Leonard Cohen didnt perform either. I forgot the name of the guy, but I enjoyed his performance of Hallelujah.
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    I really don't get the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. How the hell do they decide who gets in? Say what you will about the merits of sports, but at least those HOFs can back up inductees with statistics. Record sales sure don't seem like a fair way to judge music (he writes while shuddering at the thought of Celine Dion's future induction). It'll be interesting when Bad Religion is eligible.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    cutback wrote:
    she couldn't perform because you have to actually play music and sing to it live at the r&r hof ceremonies.....:D:D

um you missed madonna playing the live earth concert and um live aid#1 ?

she's got talentx10
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    whulmef wrote:
    Leonard Cohen didnt perform either. I forgot the name of the guy, but I enjoyed his performance of Hallelujah.

I know it's unfair to the guy, but all I could read on the TV during his performance was "how I wish Jeff Buckley were in that chair right now" :(

And to the person who claims Madonna is talented. She obviously have some talent, but if she is talented as a singer and a musician then why not perform live in that room?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    she does have talent...as a business woman. i'll give her props for tenacity. but it's a music hall of fame, not how many people you blow along the way hall of fame. just seems weak to not perform at your own induction.
  • j13chadj13chad Posts: 29
    How the hell do you not have KISS in the HOF but the dave clark who, tells you how freaked up it is!!!
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    This must be a joke, they forgot about Depeche Mode and The Cure AGAIN!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    tybird wrote:
    I really suspect that you are going to have to be black-oriented or have a gay member or some such feature that doesn't matter to the MUSIC to get in this silly HOF.

I'm afraid Yes, Rush or Genesis will never make into the HOF. I would say that Grand Funk has about the same chances as I do of getting inducted, and that's not meant to be taken as a knock by me against Grand Funk.

Not that RUSH cares about an HOF recognition, however....

To say they will never get is far fetched considering they have been touring, releasing albums continually since the early 70's. A sold out 2007 Snakes & Arrows World Tour with a 2008 continuation S & A will always help.

They will get their recognized and they will get in at some point they've always been g under p.....Graceful Under Pressure!

....And to think their first EVER concert in the US was in Cleveland, OH home of TRRHOF. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    i have no idea why she didnt perform live at the ceremony...perhaps she was protesting in some weird way...i still give her credit for always doing what she wants no matter what the trend is or what's expected of her.