beastie boys
afrika bambaataa
john mellencamp
donna summer
chic
dave clark five
the ventures
leonard cohen

5 of 9 will be inducted. madonna and the beasties are locks. i would figure that mellencamp, dave clark five and leonard cohen will round out the inductees.

didn't metallica and sonic youth release their first recordings in 82? what about the cure? and again the stooges are not nominated, although i could list 101 bands and/or artists that haven't been nominated yet.

i'm not 100% on board with the whole idea of a rock and roll hall of fame - i just like watching the ceremony and the performances on tv, even if last years van halen introduction was pathetic - patti smith and rem were cool.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yes Patti Smith and REM were very cool, and it was cool having Ed there to sing with them too. This year's group is kind of meh for me but I'll probably watch - I usually do.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    JSBE wrote:
    madonna
    beastie boys
    afrika bambaataa
    john mellencamp
    donna summer
    chic
    dave clark five
    the ventures
    leonard cohen

5 of 9 will be inducted. madonna and the beasties are locks. i would figure that mellencamp, dave clark five and leonard cohen will round out the inductees.

didn't metallica and sonic youth release their first recordings in 82? what about the cure? and again the stooges are not nominated, although i could list 101 bands and/or artists that haven't been nominated yet.

i'm not 100% on board with the whole idea of a rock and roll hall of fame - i just like watching the ceremony and the performances on tv, even if last years van halen introduction was pathetic - patti smith and rem were cool.

I could see

Donna Summer

John Mellencamp

Dave Clark Five

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    this is going to get more depressing every year......artists that were popular when i was in high school are going into the hof....:eek:.....having said that, looking at the list the inductees should be....

madonna
    beastie boys
    john mellencamp
    the ventures
    leonard cohen

and i'm really not sure about madonna......but whatever....:)
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Sima Don Na
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think Mellencamp is pretty well hated, but considering I've never heard of anyone but him, Madonna, and the Beastie Boys, then he's probably got a good chance.

as for the Metallica question, I think their first 'official' album, "Kill'em All", was released in 1983. so they should be eligible next year. Slayer's first album was also released in 1983.
  • RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!! should be at least

I mean, if Eric Clapton is in there solo, then Rush is a shoe in.

I guess they somehow fall under the rock and roll umbrella, which needs to be updated badly, but Madonna and Donna Summer?

They should make a "Not Rock n Roll Hall of Fame" for all the shit that is gonna be stuffed in there in the next 25 years.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. no cheap trick? no alice cooper? invalid.
  • brain of c wrote:
    the rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. no cheap trick? no alice cooper? invalid.

I think those guys are pretty marginal. They have only had a few hits each.

I wouldn't call it a joke based on that, but it is still a joke.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I think those guys are pretty marginal. They have only had a few hits each.

I wouldn't call it a joke based on that, but it is still a joke.

oh, jimmie.......buy a clue.
  • brain of c wrote:
    oh, jimmie.......buy a clue.

OK. Tell me, then, what have those 2 bands really done to deserve gettin in.

They should probably be in, based on alotta other bands that are in, but that doesnt necessarily anything to me.
  • All I know is, that album cover to Billion Dollar Babies scared the shit out of me as a kid.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I wouldn't cross the street to see any of those acts play for free. :(

No Rush.........in fact no prog rock bands at all, but we can put disco acts into the hall???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • How many albums have the Beastie's put out. I mean, for a band goin into the hall of fame, isn't their output kinda low.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    How many albums have the Beastie's put out. I mean, for a band goin into the hall of fame, isn't their output kinda low.

7 albums and at least a half dozen eps including pollywog stew and cookie puss.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    i think they should have a lot more than 9 acts on the list of nominations each year. it should be like the baseball hall of fame where you stay on the ballot for X number of years unless you get less than a a very small percentage of the vote and then you fall off. after your X number of years on the ballot if you don't make it, you can only be voted in by the hof committee.

anyways, i don't put a ton of stock in the rrhof and there will always be someone not included.
  • Didnt RHCP have their self titled album in 83?
  • Didnt RHCP have their self titled album in 83?

no that was released in 84

and madonna has no buisness being in the ROCK N ROLL HOF, nothing shes ever done has rocked and she probably wouldnt know what to do with a guitar if they put one in front of her
    4/23/03 - Champaign, IL
    5/16/06 - Chicago, IL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

...tickle my nausea...
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    Well you know how I feel about them not nominating Rush :(

They should so be in there.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I hope Cougar gets in and rips the fuck out of the US administration in his speech. Oops, that being said they won't give him the nod.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    afrika bambaataa is a lock.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    How many albums have the Beastie's put out. I mean, for a band goin into the hall of fame, isn't their output kinda low.

As mentioned they have 7 official albums 6 of which are rated 4 stars or higher in allmusic.com.

I would add that Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique, and Ill Communication are essential to my music collection.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    For the 4th year in a row...I ask where the hell Rush is.
  • bovy_j wrote:
    For the 4th year in a row...I ask where the hell Rush is.

I agree with you...also what about groups like:

Yes
    Genesis
    Chicago
    Thin Lizzy
    Grand Funk
    And some more I can't think of now......joke really
    SUITES wrote:
    I agree with you...also what about groups like:

Yes
    Genesis
    Chicago
    Thin Lizzy
    Grand Funk
    And some more I can't think of now......joke really
    I really suspect that you are going to have to be black-oriented or have a gay member or some such feature that doesn't matter to the MUSIC to get in this silly HOF.

I'm afraid Yes, Rush or Genesis will never make into the HOF. I would say that Grand Funk has about the same chances as I do of getting inducted, and that's not meant to be taken as a knock by me against Grand Funk.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Am I the only one disappointed by the fact that the Beastie Boys RARHOF inductee show will always be tainted by lame ass Madona.
    Am I the only one dissapointed by the fact that the Beastie Boys RARHOF inductee show will always be tainted by lame ass Modona.
    They got a big break by being her opening act way back when........
  • Am I the only one disappointed by the fact that the Beastie Boys RARHOF inductee show will always be tainted by lame ass Madona.

Not only that but she will be the big headliner and the Beasties will be the defininte number 2 act there.

I think its funny that the Beasties actually opened for Madonna when Licenced to Ill dropped and they were routinely booed off the stage.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • tybird wrote:
    They got a big break by being her opening act way back when........

Beat me to it by a millisecond.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    Beat me to it by a millisecond.
    :D:D:D

I remembered which Beastie's album the tour supported....but which Madonna album was it????
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    tybird wrote:
    I really suspect that you are going to have to be black-oriented or have a gay member or some such feature that doesn't matter to the MUSIC to get in this silly HOF.

Well Phil was half black and played a good bass and poured his heart out into his lyrics about his love, drugs, alcohol. So according to you Thin Lizzy should have an edge over most bands. This just in: Living Color to be inducted into the RRHF. :)
    You've changed your place in this world!