Radiohead

frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I bought the bends a while back liked it, then a few weeks ago bought OK Computer and im thinking this is best album ive ever heard and now just bought KID A and Hail to the Thief and both are great in their own right. From a few friends who have dug them for awhile they disagree on Amnesiac and Pablo Honey. Each One Loves the other and hates the other. My budget has allowed one cd purchase with my next paycheck, what should i pick up ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    bands from uk are mostly famous cause they are from UK
    both...a this is not the case here...legends
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    pablo honey is like ok computer...amnesiac are b sides from
    kid a.
    go with amnesiac
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The Bends is the only album I like alot by them.........OK Computer might be the most overrated album ever.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I'll get a lot of crap for it, but I'd go with Pablo Honey. Creep, Blowout, and You are great songs. There are a few crappy songs on there, but I feel it outweighs some of the depressing noise on Amnesiac. I really love I Might be Wrong and Knives Out on Amnesiac, but the rest doesn't grab me on the album like it does live.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    my friend hates pablo honey cause its like standard rock without the weird noises and my brother loves it cause it has no weird noises. i like some songs and dont care about others on both of them. i probably listen to pablo honey more, but i would recommend amnesiac if you want something more experimental.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    The Bends is the only album I like alot by them.........OK Computer might be the most overrated album ever.
    Dude, smoke a bowl then listen to it. I thought that at first listen then the next listen i was hight and i could hear all the little noises in the background and it was just fucking cool. With every listen i hear something new, thats what i love about it.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Dude, smoke a bowl then listen to it. I thought that at first listen then the next listen i was hight and i could hear all the little noises in the background and it was just fucking cool. With every listen i hear something new, thats what i love about it.

The songs just arent quality to me, The Bends has much better tunes on it......Pablo Honey as well. Cant even stand Karma Police anymore.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    you should get the my iron lung ep!! :D

i love pablo honey and amnesiac...depends on if you liked the bends or kid a better. amnesiac was recorded at the same time as kid a except for 1 track which was the demo for a song on kid a. amnesiac is also a bit more political and pablo honey is more poppy in a way, but still sounds really good. more guitar on pablo honey
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way

radiohead's albums have so many layers to them, especially from ok computer on

need to be listened to w/ headphones at least once
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • The release of the "Paranoid Android" video and "OK Computer" album in 1997 was like witnessing the release of "Sgt. Pepper" or "Nevermind" or something like that, at least here in America. I was blown away the first time I saw that video and heard that album, and so were all of my friends. We couldn't believe it was something NEW. "OK Computer" was the album that made them superstars in America, becuase it was so much better than the previous two albums, you couldn't help but take notice of them at that point. Their next two albums were challenging, but I think they achieved true greatness again with "Hail To The Thief", which I may like even more than "OK Computer". And judging from the new songs they've been playing, their new album might be their best yet.
    The songs just arent quality to me, The Bends has much better tunes on it......Pablo Honey as well. Cant even stand Karma Police anymore.

I disagree completely. Many songs on Pablo Honey and The Bends are unimaginative and of the lame indie/college rock variety. OK Computer is of so much better quality, it's not even funny.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    amnesiac without a question - pablo honey is crap.

and yes, ok computer is awesome
    good band right there
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    So I assuming you have all the Radiohead albums, and are wanting ideas for another band's album to buy?

MUSE - BLACKHOLES AND REVELATIONS - buy it and you'll think it's what Radiohead could have been had they gone the same route post-OK COMPUTER.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
    Romanza wrote:
    So I assuming you have all the Radiohead albums, and are wanting ideas for another band's album to buy?

MUSE - BLACKHOLES AND REVELATIONS - buy it and you'll think it's what Radiohead could have been had they gone the same route post-OK COMPUTER.

you couldn't be more off centre if you ask me. bellamy and yorke have similar vocal styles - that's it.nothing more.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    I bought the bends a while back liked it, then a few weeks ago bought OK Computer and im thinking this is best album ive ever heard and now just bought KID A and Hail to the Thief and both are great in their own right. From a few friends who have dug them for awhile they disagree on Amnesiac and Pablo Honey. Each One Loves the other and hates the other. My budget has allowed one cd purchase with my next paycheck, what should i pick up ?

The bends is awesome!

Ok Computer is good but over rated in general by the music world.

Kid A is awesome

Amnesiac is also good.

Hail to the Thief is also a pretty good peicee of work.

Pablo Honey is pretty good but is pretty inferior to most of their work.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Amnesiac by a long shot... Pablo Honey really isn't good, there are only two good songs on it (if anyone owns the CD, they know what I'm talking about, haha [or I hope they do...])... but Amnesiac just is awesome... it's a more mysterious album than Kid A... I think, definitely not as good, but it's got some amazing songs.

I've only listened to Pablo Honey once all the way through... if any other regular band out there had made this album, it most likely would've been better, but since Radiohead made it, it's not good... yunderstand?
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    of course OK Computer is overrated, it's treated like the second coming of jesus, but that doesn't mean it isn't a brilliant album because it clearly is.

I would rank the albums like this

1)OK Computer
    2)The Bends
    3)Kid A
    4)Amnesiac
    5)Hail to the thief
    6)Pablo Honey

and the My Iron Lung EP is great also.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457

buy Thom Yorke's solo album (the eraser).
    It's fucking awesome and better than pablo Honey (some nice tracks but bad production) and Amnesiac.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    Julien wrote:
    buy Thom Yorke's solo album (the eraser).
    It's fucking awesome and better than pablo Honey (some nice tracks but bad production) and Amnesiac.

also like the eraser, but no way better than amnesiac in my mind.

you and whose army?
    i might be wrong
    pyramid song
    life in a glasshouse are all greater than any song of the eraser maybe for the exception of analyse

• Jeremy1012 wrote:
    of course OK Computer is overrated, it's treated like the second coming of jesus, but that doesn't mean it isn't a brilliant album because it clearly is.

Agreed. Doesn't mean that the album isn't their best, and overall a great album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • SlowFadeSlowFade Posts: 75
    Can't believe that no one mentioned "Airbag:How's My Driving?" ep. It's all the b-sides from OK Computer, and has great songs on it. I would buy this before amnesiac and Pablo Honey.
  • SlowFade wrote:
    Can't believe that no one mentioned "Airbag:How's My Driving?" ep. It's all the b-sides from OK Computer.

It has some of the b-sides but not all of them.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    SlowFade wrote:
    Can't believe that no one mentioned "Airbag:How's My Driving?" ep. It's all the b-sides from OK Computer, and has great songs on it. I would buy this before amnesiac and Pablo Honey.

You're right. "Airbag ..." is wonderful. But I'm biased. I love everything Radiohead. It's really not that hard to get completely sucked in and it's never a bad time to start.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    go on ebay or something and try to get both.
    I have a preference for Amnesiac (much more interesting), but pablo honey has you and blow out. So go for both.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    ... and while you're deciding what to get next, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV33UrsgU5k
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    imo you already got the best cd's by Radiohead (Bends and OK Computer). I would spend it one something different.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Though Amnesiac is not that good as a whole, I would buy that album over the outdated noise of Pablo Honey. Buy Amnesiac and listen to "You and Whose Army", "I Might Be Wrong", "Pyramid Song" and "Knives Out" and it will be worth the price of admission right there.

Also they did a reprise of "Moring Bell" that is pretty good.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244

IMO it is impossible to overrate OK Computer!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    Though Amnesiac is not that good as a whole, I would buy that album over the outdated noise of Pablo Honey. Buy Amnesiac and listen to "You and Whose Army", "I Might Be Wrong", "Pyramid Song" and "Knives Out" and it will be worth the price of admission right there.

Also they did a reprise of "Moring Bell" that is pretty good.

everyone left out dollars & cents!!!! i love that song!

it's not really a reprise of morning bell, it's the demo of it, i think it could've been left off
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • The Bends is the only album I like alot by them.........OK Computer might be the most overrated album ever.

Why does a comment like that not surprise me from an Oasis fan!

I don't really rate Pablo Honey and I don't own it, Creep must be on of the most overrated songs in their back catalogue.

Radiohead are one of my fav bands of all time, I'd go for Amnesiac any day, yes it isn't as flowing as Kid A but it's got Pyramid Song, Knives Out, You and Who's Army & my 2 favs Dollars & Cents & the cracking closing Life in a Glass House.

I'd forget Pablo and than go to Hail to the Thief and yes Eraser is a corker as well.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I bought OK Computer first a few years ago. Didn't really get it. Gave it a few more chances, and then put it up for a while. Then I busted it out years later and it started clicking, enough to get me interested enough to buy The Bends. Now that one (The Bends) had me hooked from the start, so I go back to OK Computer and it has clicked officially.

My question though (sorry to hijack your thread OP) is where should I go now? I'm no diehard fan, but I want to get more into them. I know Kid A is probably gonna be the majority response, but I've heard bits of it and I guess I'm intimidated so.....what should I do? ;)