Did Pearl Jam ever cover STP's Plush?

2»

Comments

• SDMike wrote:
    A great (and very underrated) CD is STP's No. 4.

i was lucky enough to catch them at irving plaza right around the time no. 4 was released. great album...better show. saw them again at hammerstein while they were supporting shangri-la and it was awful, but mainly because it was just about the worst sounding show i've ever heard.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    LMFAO, you are never gonna let that down with me, huh cate

:)

it's nothing against you brian. oh btw good to see you didnt fall off the boat. :D but edved in a chilli peppers tribute band. that is just too hilarious for my head.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Scott has said in the past that he was listening to a lot of Doors music when they were recording Core and he was subconsciously imitating Jim Morrison. Jim Morrison was a baritone just like Ed is. As much as I love Scott and Ed you have to hand it to the James Douglas Morrison. I always wished that The Doors had hired Ed or Scott to tour with them instead of Ian Astbury.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    i was lucky enough to catch them at irving plaza right around the time no. 4 was released. great album...better show. saw them again at hammerstein while they were supporting shangri-la and it was awful, but mainly because it was just about the worst sounding show i've ever heard.

That's weird, I was at Hammerstein that night and where I was the sound was great. I was back by the soundboard. I thought it was an awesome show, with Shine on You Crazy Diamond opening up into Vasoline, hearing them do Atlanta, Wonderful, and Kitchenware and Candybars....great stuff..
  • whome13 wrote:
    You should upload it- i'm sure it's just a STP version.

and saying scott and eddie are alike on stage is like saying eddie has the same moves as perry farrell.

Here it is.

http://rapidshare.com/files/51828632/Pearl_Jam_-_Plush__Live_Stp_Cover_.mp3.html

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
    18/06/07 A day I will never forget.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    That's weird, I was at Hammerstein that night and where I was the sound was great. I was back by the soundboard. I thought it was an awesome show, with Shine on You Crazy Diamond opening up into Vasoline, hearing them do Atlanta, Wonderful, and Kitchenware and Candybars....great stuff..

I was at that show too. I was about 10 feet from the stage all the way on the left, and I thought they sounded amazing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    think theres little chance pf PJ covering an STP song, unless it was a for a joke.................back in 92,93 whenever Plush was a single I remember a mate at school asking if I had seen PJ on Top of the Pops the night before, of course it was the track you refer to. I can tell the difference but I guess there are strong similarities
  • whome13whome13 Posts: 72
    Valiant23 wrote:

Yep, this is STP. The quality isn't as great so it sounds does sound like Ed a little at times.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Dude that is not Pearl Jam at all...I've heard plenty of live stuff from both bands and it's pretty obvious that's not a cover.
  • Nope it is true. Scot Weilend circa the early 90's was a flat out Veddar clone. Both with his vocals and his facial manerisms when he sang, though admitedely later in the STP's career they moved away from that.
    Also have read a stack of interviews where people (i.e Kim Thayil etc) heaped shit on STP for ripping off what was going on in Seattle.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Nope it is true. Scot Weilend circa the early 90's was a flat out Veddar clone. Both with his vocals and his facial manerisms when he sang, though admitedely later in the STP's career they moved away from that.
    Also have read a stack of interviews where people (i.e Kim Thayil etc) heaped shit on STP for ripping off what was going on in Seattle.

jim morrison was the only person going through his brain in the early days... i dont think his mannerisms are like vedders at all.. when a song kicked in he would spin around like crazy with his arms flailing... i dont think i've seen vedder ever do that

show me an article where kim said that
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • UsmanI wrote:
    Cuz I'm listening to a live version of Plush and it sounds just like Eddie, but then i think STP used to have a similar sound. When I was first getting into PJ i couldn't decide if that was PJ or not, sound so much like Eddie.

Also, has PJ ever covered U2?

Don't worry... I fell for that one too. It was only hearing that version for the tenth time that I realised it WAS STP. (Insert nervous smilie here).

It would be cool if PJ did cover it though... to cover a band (or a singer) that sounded just like Ed. I like STP but it would be a good way to say 'we're so much better than you'!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Don't worry... I fell for that one too. It was only hearing that version for the tenth time that I realised it WAS STP. (Insert nervous smilie here).

It would be cool if PJ did cover it though... to cover a band (or a singer) that sounded just like Ed. I like STP but it would be a good way to say 'we're so much better than you'!

'..better than you... unless we're talkin about our live show..'

pearl jam are amazing live but stp at their prime was one of the best live hard rock acts ever
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    jim morrison was the only person going through his brain in the early days... i dont think his mannerisms are like vedders at all.. when a song kicked in he would spin around like crazy with his arms flailing... i dont think i've seen vedder ever do that

show me an article where kim said that

Well I think it was the Plush video I just saw and it was damn near the same performace as eddie's from the Jeremey vid. Undeniable really.
    As for the article I mentioned, I'll try and troll through the articles on the unofficial soundgarden homepage to find it but it was part of the press for the Superunknown tour (94/95).