Did Pearl Jam ever cover STP's Plush?

UsmanIUsmanI Posts: 72
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Cuz I'm listening to a live version of Plush and it sounds just like Eddie, but then i think STP used to have a similar sound. When I was first getting into PJ i couldn't decide if that was PJ or not, sound so much like Eddie.

Also, has PJ ever covered U2?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I sure hope they have never covered STP. I know they have sung Yahweh by U2.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    No, absolutely not. That track is simply Scott Weiland sounding a whole lot like Ed.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I always liked that song - my preference is the deep voice, but even if I didn't know they didn't cover it, I couldn't see them doing it - the song is kind of creepy in a non-PJ sort of way. Not a good fit IMO.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • No, absolutely not. That track is simply Scott Weiland sounding a whole lot like Ed.

imitation is the highest form of flattery. and he didn't just sound like ed, he had all his moves, too.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    imitation is the highest form of flattery. and he didn't just sound like ed, he had all his moves, too.

Do you think? I always thought Weiland was way over the top with his moves, in a Mick Jagger sexualized kind of way. Not really ed's style.
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    Nope, never covered STP.

However one thing to note is that STP was around BEFORE Pearl Jam, so Scott Weiland isn't "imitating" Ed. They just happen to be alot alike is all.

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Nope, never covered STP.

However one thing to note is that STP was around BEFORE Pearl Jam, so Scott Weiland isn't "imitating" Ed. They just happen to be alot alike is all.

Peace
    :-p

Actually, that's true. Plush was supposedly written in the late 80s.
  • SDMikeSDMike Posts: 22
    I saw Velvet Revolver a few months ago and Weiland doesn't even remotely resemble Eddie, in voice or otherwise (very flamboyant). Great show though, as they did some STP and GnR songs.
    Information is not knowledge
    Knowledge is not wisdom
    Wisdom is not truth
    Truth is not beauty
    Beauty is not love
    Love is not music
    Music is THE BEST . . .
    - Frank Zappa
  • Do you think? I always thought Weiland was way over the top with his moves, in a Mick Jagger sexualized kind of way. Not really ed's style.

Totally agreed. I never saw STP in person, but in the videos I've seen, Weiland was definitely WAY over the top with his moves.
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    I've always been a huge PJ fan, and also loved STP ... up untill Tiny music, they're nothing alike, Plush, When it came out first, was branded a PJ rip-off tune, bollocks, Scott has a much huskier voice than Ed, the only similarity is they both go deep, none of their albums are alike, none of their songs are alike, get over it.

If you want to check some STP out, go for their earlier efforts, Core and Purple are damn fine albums.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • SDMikeSDMike Posts: 22
    Cagey wrote:
    I've always been a huge PJ fan, and also loved STP ... up untill Tiny music, they're nothing alike, Plush, When it came out first, was branded a PJ rip-off tune, bollocks, Scott has a much huskier voice than Ed, the only similarity is they both go deep, none of their albums are alike, none of their songs are alike, get over it.

If you want to check some STP out, go for their earlier efforts, Core and Purple are damn fine albums.

A great (and very underrated) CD is STP's No. 4.
    Information is not knowledge
    Knowledge is not wisdom
    Wisdom is not truth
    Truth is not beauty
    Beauty is not love
    Love is not music
    Music is THE BEST . . .
    - Frank Zappa
  • gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    aBoxOfFear wrote:

man this irritates me. they are nothing alike. never have been and never will be. both amazing front men for amazing bands that are nothing alike. just cause you have a deep voice and move on stage, doesn't mean you are eddie. if that were the case, eddie would be compared to elvis. in the sense of changing music forever, maybe eddie is elvis. but other than that, he's not even close.
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    SDMike wrote:

I've been told that numerous times, and never got 'round to checking it out fully and properly, I'll add it to my list of 'forgotten to get' albums! Cheers. :)
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Totally agreed. I never saw STP in person, but in the videos I've seen, Weiland was definitely WAY over the top with his moves.

I've seen them live and Weiland moves like a cat - as fluid as any I've seen.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Do you think? I always thought Weiland was way over the top with his moves, in a Mick Jagger sexualized kind of way. Not really ed's style.

well, his two-handed microphone stance and his facial expressions, anyways. the plush video is very eddie-like. ;)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    Cagey wrote:

I still listen to Core. I love "Sex Type Thing" and "Creep". There is an acoustic version of Plush that is really cool.
  • Core and Purple are right there with Ten as albums I can just listen straight through everytime. They're not as good as Ten, but no less easy on the ears.
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    SDMike wrote:

THANK YOU!

I personally prefer Purple and everything after to Core...love STP but I really dont dig Core mostly...i mean its good songs but i can never listen to it the whole way through.....Shangri La Dee Da is also quite underrated
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I love all the STP records... TINY MUSIC was a huge disappoint...like VITALOGY ...I was totally looking forward to both...but later on I recognized these are...AWESOME, too!!!

I miss STP!!!
    I mean I love Velvet Revolver, but I'd prefer an original GN'R and mostly STP instead of that!!! I feel the same about Audioslave...really good...but Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine were far far better!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Mad season was the best superband ever. :P

STP is incredible, and they haven't officially "broken up"

The deleo brothers are woorking with tools lead singer and are making a band, Army of Anyone, should be cool.
    PearlJam134.gif
  • Mad season was the best superband ever. :P

The deleo brothers are woorking with tools lead singer and are making a band, Army of Anyone, should be cool.
    The deleos are NOT working with Tools lead singer. I don't know where you heard that. Richard Patrick of Filter is the lead singer. Here's their official site:
    http://www.armyofanyone.com/
  • Was the mystery ever cleared up over the Pearl Jam - Plush mp3?

I've spent all day listening to PJ live tracks and I'm still quite convinced, having just had a listen to that MP3, that it was Pearl Jam (or at least Eddie Vedder).

At least until one of you guys can tell me who it actually was.

If you can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S. If its needed then I'll be happy to upload it.
    18/06/07 A day I will never forget.
  • whome13whome13 Posts: 72
    You should upload it- i'm sure it's just a STP version.

and saying scott and eddie are alike on stage is like saying eddie has the same moves as perry farrell.
  • SDMike wrote:
    my fav. stp album by far. the first 3 tracks are stp at their best
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Mad season was the best superband ever. :P

Mad season was the 2nd Best super group. The Best supergroup hands down is the Traveling Wilburys. (It doesn't get much better than a collaboration with Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Roy Orbison (1rst disc), and Jeff Lynne (of Electric Light Orchestra or ELO).
    Mad season is right behind them though for me. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Scott Wieland was around singin the tunes off Core long before Ten was released.. most people are ignorant to that...

They were playing clubs in san diego in 89'... hmm who lived in san diego in 89 and most likely seen and heard STP play much before joining pearl jam?

thats right.. btw.. i love both bands
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201

maynard? hahahah

its with richard patrick from filter

although maynard with the deleo's.. i would not complain about that!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    bharQ wrote:
    Scott Wieland was around singin the tunes off Core long before Ten was released.. most people are ignorant to that...

They were playing clubs in san diego in 89'... hmm who lived in san diego in 89 and most likely seen and heard STP play much before joining pearl jam?

thats right.. btw.. i love both bands
    thats cause the media and people in the biz like to paint STP as a pj clone so people ate it up in the early 90s and to top it all off ed was even a RHCP cover band to in the late 80s, most people forget that to.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    thats cause the media and people in the biz like to paint STP as a pj clone so people ate it up in the early 90s and to top it all off ed was even a RHCP cover band to in the late 80s, most people forget that to.

OMG that is tragic. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    OMG that is tragic. :D
    LMFAO, you are never gonna let that down with me, huh cate

:)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight