does anyone else not get indie music?

2»

Comments

• some indie music is great such as damien rice, sufjan stevens and interpol for example. some of it is just terrible as well. a lot of the vocals are whiny and bands like death cab for cutie and modest mouse suck in my view.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • I dont get how people can't like these "indie" bands (Moset Mouse is on a major label along with a few other but still for some reason under the Indie genre) Issac Brock is an amazing when it comes to lyrics. The Shins are great you should also check out bands like Iron and Wine, Neutral Milk Hotel,The Decemberists and Sufjan Stevens is amazing im proud he's from Michigan.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • pjfan020 wrote:
    Bands like the shins, modest mouse, bright eyes etc.. are vastly overrated to me. I was just curious as to what the big deal is with a lot of these artists. A lot of them have the same whiney out of key vocal approach that irritates the hell out of me. I mean i'm a huge dylan and neil young fan but some of these guys can't sing at all. Musically speaking a lot of them don't seem to have much talent either and it seems odd that some of these bands are so popular but aren't really that great at the instruments they play. My gf listens to a lot of the stuff so i hear it all the time and to be quite honest a lot of it sounds the same to me. If you listen to the stuff I'm not bashing you or anything, i'm just curious.

I must confess I did not listen to that bands you name here yet. Anyway, I can´t understand what exactly is "Indie" music

Please, if someone can define it I´ll apreciate it

Thanks
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Indie
    Major Label
    Grunge
    Punk
    Pop
    Blah, blah, blah....

Good music is good music
    Shitty music is shitty music

you beat me to it.

really, like what you like and don't like what you don't. why does everything have to have a label attached to it or have to be so categorized?
  • I must confess I did not listen to that bands you name here yet. Anyway, I can´t understand what exactly is "Indie" music

Please, if someone can define it I´ll apreciate it

Thanks

hope this helps in understanding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_(music)
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    pjfan020 wrote:
    Bands like the shins, modest mouse, bright eyes etc.. are vastly overrated to me. I was just curious as to what the big deal is with a lot of these artists. A lot of them have the same whiney out of key vocal approach that irritates the hell out of me. I mean i'm a huge dylan and neil young fan but some of these guys can't sing at all. Musically speaking a lot of them don't seem to have much talent either and it seems odd that some of these bands are so popular but aren't really that great at the instruments they play. My gf listens to a lot of the stuff so i hear it all the time and to be quite honest a lot of it sounds the same to me. If you listen to the stuff I'm not bashing you or anything, i'm just curious.

I'm with you, 99% of this stuff is just trash and you're right, it all sounds the same for the most part...is rock and roll finally dead???
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    BinGnarly wrote:
    I dont get how people can't like these "indie" bands (Moset Mouse is on a major label along with a few other but still for some reason under the Indie genre) Issac Brock is an amazing when it comes to lyrics. The Shins are great you should also check out bands like Iron and Wine, Neutral Milk Hotel,The Decemberists and Sufjan Stevens is amazing im proud he's from Michigan.

*bah! All those bands are sooooo slow and whiny! I don't understand why people are so crazy about bands like the Decemberists??? I'd rather watch grass grow than listen to that boring shit.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Brainofdz wrote:
    What do you know about Pavement?:
    how do you mean? information-wise? :D

I know the following... they were one of the few "indie" band who genuinely were indie. they never sold out, they were led by Stephen Malkmus who started them with guitarist scott kannberg (spiral stairs) in the late 80s and their first album was the brilliant Slanted and enchanted which included such classics as summer babe and here. they followed it up (not including an EP) with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, wowee zowee, brighten the corners and terror twilight before disbanding. malkmus has had a solo/side project career with the silver jews, the jicks and by himself. spiral stairs has Preston school of industry.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Indie is just another genre of music. It is like saying you don't get rap or country or mainstream rock. There are maybe 5 bands that I would consider to be truly mainstream that make music that interests me. If I didn't discover indie I would have gotten extremely bored of music about 5 years ago.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    It's all been said in this thread and previous ones, but for some reason I still feel the need to add something.

"Indie" is not a sound. There are indie musicians from every genre of music. You cannot possible dislike or not "get" every indie musician in existance. I might also add that if you took the time to listen to the Shins and Modest Mouse you'd probably find they have about as much in common musically as Pearl Jam and Nirvana do. I for one love the Shins and don't like Modest Mouse. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As someone said in a similar thread recently, music is not a competition. Like what you like, pass by what you don't. I'd say you should take some time and give the music a chance, but when it comes down to it I don't really care. What I WOULD like to see around here is either more positive conversation or at least thoughful disagreement rather than thread after thread stating "______ sucks." For those of us who would rather discuss the music we ENJOY it can be difficult to participate in this message board. Sometimes I feel like most of the people around here are more interested in starting fights than taking part in intelligent discussion.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    yield2me wrote:
    *bah! All those bands are sooooo slow and whiny! I don't understand why people are so crazy about bands like the Decemberists??? I'd rather watch grass grow than listen to that boring shit.

iron and wine is boring, and neutral milk hotel is ok but nothing special. i do like the decemberists, however, becos they make me feel like im sitting in an irish pub on the coast listening to somebody sing songs about being lost at sea. it's fun.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    one of my biggest problems is the vocal approach that a lot of these acts have. I understand that their lyrics are very emotional and from the heart, but it seems like they just through their words out there and don't even try to put together some sort of vocal pattern. It just irks me that a lot of these acts are hailed as being some of the greatest bands around right now and aside from their lyrical content i don't see much in them....and i'm not trying to rip on bands or anything i'm just speaking my view. I could've titled the thread indie music sucks!!! but i'm just trying to see how the other side thinks.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I think "indie" has become "trendy".
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    pjfan020 wrote:
    one of my biggest problems is the vocal approach that a lot of these acts have. I understand that their lyrics are very emotional and from the heart, but it seems like they just through their words out there and don't even try to put together some sort of vocal pattern. It just irks me that a lot of these acts are hailed as being some of the greatest bands around right now and aside from their lyrical content i don't see much in them....and i'm not trying to rip on bands or anything i'm just speaking my view. I could've titled the thread indie music sucks!!! but i'm just trying to see how the other side thinks.

I respect what you're saying here, but isn't musical taste just that -- taste? I don't think anyone can talk you into enjoying Conor Oberst's vocals anymore than someone can convince me that Thom Yorke is a great singer, and I'm sure neither of us want anyone preaching about why we're wrong in our opinions.

If you want to know why I like the Shins I'll tell you; They make interesting, catchy, quirky pop music (and I happen to think the vocals are often quite beautiful). It's just that simple. Really.

Maybe you're looking for something that isn't there? I don't think it's that you can't "get" indie music. It sounds like the bands you've mentioned simply do not appeal to you. There's nothing wrong with that.:)
  • hope this helps in understanding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_(music)

thanks for the link. Now I´m understanding what this is all about

see you
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • Who really throws on a Modest Mouse album to chill out to? I don't know anyone, and I've worked in 5 record stores over the past 9 years. Great lyrics, sure, but that band is not easy to love. I'd be interested to know how many people who own Modest Mouse albums listen to them, or how many use them as decoration in their CD collection.

"Indie" music can be awesome, and lord knows my music collection reflects a support for bands who have not been in the limelight. However, I wonder where the songs have gone these days. I mean, if a band like Nickelback can get album after derivatively bad album in the top 10, why can't someone come and steal their crown with ease? How about a few well-crafted songs that reach out to everyone? It seems like the bands who've held the torch for a while are having no trouble holding onto it simply because there are so few new bands that are relevant to a wider audience. For example, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and U2 are still as relevant and successful today as they were nearly 20 years ago. What gives? Pearl Jam is the last "grunge era" band standing, for example.

It seems that the move away from terrestrial radio and to the personalized world of the iPod has made "eras" nearly obsolete in the traditional sense. It's definitely odd being in-between the Gen X and Gen Y sensibilities. I'm pulled to the both the beauty of vinyl and the portability of mp3's. The grand statements of bands like Pearl Jam and the subtle message of bands like The Beauty Shop or Headlights. Hearing a mindblowing song on the radio or having a friend of mine email me an mp3. The times have been and will continue to be a changin'. I'm curious to know what's next.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    supernova9 wrote:
    Who really throws on a Modest Mouse album to chill out to? I don't know anyone, and I've worked in 5 record stores over the past 9 years. Great lyrics, sure, but that band is not easy to love. I'd be interested to know how many people who own Modest Mouse albums listen to them, or how many use them as decoration in their CD collection.

I listen to my Modest Mouse albums about as much as anything else I own. They are one of my top 10 most listened to bands, anyway. Especially The Moon and Antarctica.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    also, i just decided that "mark lanegan" is a genre of music. i'm not sure what this has to do with anything but i'm kinda wasted so there you go...

Industrial soul blues, maybe?
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Nobody else here likes the white stripes, blech.

*cries*

See ya bitches, I'm off to listen to De Stijl in its entirety 20 times in a row.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I listen to my Modest Mouse albums about as much as anything else I own. They are one of my top 10 most listened to bands, anyway. Especially The Moon and Antarctica.

Which is funny, because I picked that album up eons ago and just cannot get into it. I even gave their last album a shot, and "Ocean Breathes Salty" or whatever it is was the only track that really did much for me besides "Float On," and even that track doesn't have much of a shelf life to me. Whatevs.

As my dad says, "To each their own." :-)
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    Nobody else here likes the white stripes, blech.

*cries*

See ya bitches, I'm off to listen to De Stijl in its entirety 20 times in a row.

If you've not listened to the Black Keys "Thickfreakness," I highly recommend it.
  • i listen to a lot of indie bands... but i'm not one of those people who go around trying to be "indie"... i cant stand those people
  • supernova9 wrote:
    If you've not listened to the Black Keys "Thickfreakness," I highly recommend it.

YESSS!!!

I am in love with the black keys... have been telling people about them for a few years now, it's pretty cool that theyre gaining some recognition now.

Tonight I heard 10 am automatic on a commercial with snowboarder shawn white and Ive also heard girl is on my mind on a victoria secret commercial...so thats strange
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    pjfan020 wrote:
    How are those bands Indie if they are signed to record labels?
  • Love it.

The Shins
    Modest Mouse
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Nada Surf
    Arcade Fire
    The Decemberists
    Cursive
    Sufjan Stevens
    Band of Horses

Etc.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    yield2me wrote:

I agree with you 100%, my friend.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • I do. I listen to Modest Mouse to chill out. It is good music. Listen to the Lonesome Crowded West, I love it, and still play it very regularly. (It has never been removed from my cars 6 CD changer, while all other albums will be rotated)

I particularly love listening to it in the morning, after a night of heavy drinking and debauchery.

supernova9 wrote:
    Who really throws on a Modest Mouse album to chill out to? I don't know anyone, and I've worked in 5 record stores over the past 9 years. Great lyrics, sure, but that band is not easy to love. I'd be interested to know how many people who own Modest Mouse albums listen to them, or how many use them as decoration in their CD collection.

"Indie" music can be awesome, and lord knows my music collection reflects a support for bands who have not been in the limelight. However, I wonder where the songs have gone these days. I mean, if a band like Nickelback can get album after derivatively bad album in the top 10, why can't someone come and steal their crown with ease? How about a few well-crafted songs that reach out to everyone? It seems like the bands who've held the torch for a while are having no trouble holding onto it simply because there are so few new bands that are relevant to a wider audience. For example, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and U2 are still as relevant and successful today as they were nearly 20 years ago. What gives? Pearl Jam is the last "grunge era" band standing, for example.

It seems that the move away from terrestrial radio and to the personalized world of the iPod has made "eras" nearly obsolete in the traditional sense. It's definitely odd being in-between the Gen X and Gen Y sensibilities. I'm pulled to the both the beauty of vinyl and the portability of mp3's. The grand statements of bands like Pearl Jam and the subtle message of bands like The Beauty Shop or Headlights. Hearing a mindblowing song on the radio or having a friend of mine email me an mp3. The times have been and will continue to be a changin'. I'm curious to know what's next.
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    pjfan020 wrote:

It's really hard for me to form a completely validated opinion of a band's music without having seen them live. It's not like I need to see every band live to know whether they are good or not...it basically comes down to some bands don't sound that awesome on cd but when you see them live it can change your opinion vastly.

I've been blown away by some live shows, and then, dug backwards into the vault of recorded music only to try to understand how their studio music relates to the overall vibe...it's kinda backwards but it does prove to me that don't count any band out until you've seen them play.

Live music is better :)
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    How are those bands Indie if they are signed to record labels?

Many of them are signed to "independent" record labels. They aren't part of the major group of labels (EMI, Sony, Universal, Warner) and have less resources, and typically, they exert less control over what their artists do. These labels include Subpop, Barsuk, Epitaph, Artemis, Vagrant, Saddle Creek, Side One Dummy, Merge. . .

Modest Mouse, The Decemberists, and Death Cab for Cutie have signed major label records deals. Bright Eyes, The Shins, Arcade Fire, and Dashboard Confessional remain on indie labels.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.