Radiohead back in the studio

2»

Comments

• karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    bryanfury wrote:
    but definitely don;t take the eraser as a sign of things to come. think of it more as getting it out of his system. a band liek radiohead is not going to do the same thing twice. they did the electronic thing. i do not think we will see it again. could be wrong, and wouldn;t be disapointed if i was!

We'll see. Hail to the thief didn't trigger me enough to buy it, maybe they'll achieve greatness this time. It would be about time to, Radiohead is something from the past for me. I like them still, but need some new impulse to really get back into them. In my mind the last three albums were pretty much along the same line. Not the same, but not a real shift from what they did on the album before it.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    bryanfury wrote:
    they did the electronic thing. i do not think we will see it again. could be wrong, and wouldn;t be disapointed if i was!

well, since they've started the electronic "thing" (ok computer) they have never looked back. yes, httt is a bit kid a meets the bends, but it still has an electronic backbone. the electronics won't go, i'll put a lot of money on that.

thing is, i prefer post the bends radiohead, so it is all good
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    glasshouse wrote:
    well, since they've started the electronic "thing" (ok computer) they have never looked back. yes, httt is a bit kid a meets the bends, but it still has an electronic backbone. the electronics won't go, i'll put a lot of money on that.

thing is, i prefer post the bends radiohead, so it is all good

I am afraid you are right. I wouldn't call OK computer the start of the electonic thing, but I guess it makes sense. It is very different to The Bends. Still I would much more think it to be the end of the guitar based music as it is very very different to Kid A.
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    We'll see. Hail to the thief didn't trigger me enough to buy it, maybe they'll achieve greatness this time. It would be about time to, Radiohead is something from the past for me. I like them still, but need some new impulse to really get back into them. In my mind the last three albums were pretty much along the same line. Not the same, but not a real shift from what they did on the album before it.

httt has so many great tunes on it though! you should really give it a chance.

sail to the moon is one of the best slow songs ever. there there, scatterbrain, 2+2=5, etc etc. damn its fucking solid.

have you listend to live at le reservoir? its just thom and johnny, and its just amazing!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bryanfury wrote:

sail to the moon is one of the best slow songs ever. there there, scatterbrain, 2+2=5, etc etc. damn its fucking solid.

have you listend to live at le reservoir? its just thom and johnny, and its just amazing!

i didnt care for hail to the thief, but at least it was better than kid a. kid a didnt have any songs really. just noise. he talked once on the 'meeting people is easy' video about how he hates pop music cos it sounds like a frige buzzing in his ear. that's how kid a sounded to me. just a bunch of noise with him mumbling over top. hail to the thief at least put guitars back into the mix (i should mention here that i LOATHE electronic music... play a fucking instrument "musician"), but even then the songs were uninspired and most of them sounded exactly the same to me. a slow quiet into with some bleeps and bloops, building to a climax where thom again mumbles louder and louder and mroe urgently that... well who the hell knows what he was singing.

that said, the bends is one of the best albums ever recorded. ok computer isn't far behind. im ok with expanding your sound, but if you're going to do it, make a song. they end up sounding like they want to be sigur ros or something, and there's only one sigur ros.

ill give the new album a listen, but i dont have very high hopes.
  • Can't wait!! Their last 4 albums have been genius! Amazing music is one thing but to actually feel it pulsing through is another.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    i didnt care for hail to the thief, but at least it was better than kid a. kid a didnt have any songs really. just noise. he talked once on the 'meeting people is easy' video about how he hates pop music cos it sounds like a frige buzzing in his ear. that's how kid a sounded to me. just a bunch of noise with him mumbling over top. hail to the thief at least put guitars back into the mix (i should mention here that i LOATHE electronic music... play a fucking instrument "musician"), but even then the songs were uninspired and most of them sounded exactly the same to me. a slow quiet into with some bleeps and bloops, building to a climax where thom again mumbles louder and louder and mroe urgently that... well who the hell knows what he was singing.

that said, the bends is one of the best albums ever recorded. ok computer isn't far behind. im ok with expanding your sound, but if you're going to do it, make a song. they end up sounding like they want to be sigur ros or something, and there's only one sigur ros.

ill give the new album a listen, but i dont have very high hopes.

i would argue te exact opposite of everything you said, so i guess it goes to show you that different people very passionate about different things.

radiohead's status in rock history proves i'm not the only one that feels they are the best band ever.
    and hold the fuckin phone here. the only "electronic" tunes on httt are sit down, backdrifts, and the gloaming. the rest is made by musical insruments
  • i'm pretty sure it will turn out like how a radiohead record usually does. great.
    i'm pretty sure it will turn out like how a radiohead record usually does. great.

mother fucking spot on!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bryanfury wrote:
    and hold the fuckin phone here. the only "electronic" tunes on httt are sit down, backdrifts, and the gloaming. the rest is made by musical insruments

i know. it was a bit more palatable to me and shows promise, so im reasonably interested in their new album. at the same time, i wasn't all that impressed with the songs. but i was stoned a lot at the time and my attention span was pretty brief. i will be giving them another shot im sure. just wsnt my cup of tea. also, their place in rock history was cemented by ok computer, and since then they've pretty much dropped off the radar, only making music for the dedicated fans, just like pearl jam. their place in rock history was secured by their earlier mainstream genius. if they had debuted with kid a, nobody would know who radiohead is and nobody would miss them and they'd not be on anyone's "best band ever" lists.
    bryanfury wrote:

I didn't hear that. I have listen to the album in the shop to see whether I would buy it, I didn't. Maybe I'll take it home from the libery one day and listen to it more closely.
  • Hail to the Thief is my favorite. That album just rocks. Fucking Where I End and You Begin... I Will lead into A Punchup at a Wedding, awesome. Plus, the HTTT songs are played so much better live, as are all of their songs, but the Gloaming with the extra drumming parts live just sounds so awesome.
    If I could, think I would give in.