Options

The stones were HORRIBLE!

moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I like the stones.... BUT

That was a TERRIBLE performance (SUper Bowl). Watching that makes me feel glad that i did not pay big money to see them last year.

That slide playing was terrible, they missed a transition, they could not keep a beat, the sound was thin.............

Barf.
"If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    huh, watching that made me wish I did see them this go around. oh well, I am sure you will find a lot of company.
  • Options
    you can't expect too much at the superbowl...bad sound...too many people...short set...no freedom at all...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I dunno...for a bunch of guys old enough to be PJ's fathers, I thought that they held their own. I liked when Mick said "We could have played this next one at Superbowl 1" and then launched into Satisfaction.

Give the old buggers credit. They didn't lip synch or show their sloppy titties on national television. They showed America what a real band sounds like when they plug in and go at half time. Most of the prior performers (save Aerosmith) have never rocked a stadium before. The dynamics of that are immensely different...a nightmare for sound guys.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    enharmonic wrote:
    I dunno...for a bunch of guys old enough to be PJ's fathers, I thought that they held their own. I liked when Mick said "We could have played this next one at Superbowl 1" and then launched into Satisfaction.

Give the old buggers credit. They didn't lip synch or show their sloppy titties on national television. They showed America what a real band sounds like when they plug in and go at half time. Most of the prior performers (save Aerosmith) have never rocked a stadium before. The dynamics of that are immensely different...a nightmare for sound guys.

Ditto, I thought they pulled it off pretty well considering, between that and the motown bit, the sound guys left A LOT to be desired, even with the inherent problems.

It took too long to hear ron wood, and Mick. Joss Stone was barely audible, I was wondering if they had a good enough signal from that mike.

I guess I just kind of dig live music too :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    How could I forget McCartney last year!

I bet he brought his own sound. Macca' knows a thing or two about rocking a stadium. He's had a little practice :D
  • Options
    Oh my i guess i am in the minority... which is fine. But speaking of doing well for their 80's or whatever, i thought Aerosmith did a much better job a few years ago IMO.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Oh my i guess i am in the minority... which is fine. But speaking of doing well for their 80's or whatever, i thought Aerosmith did a much better job a few years ago IMO.

I've heard a lot of people trashing it on the radio this morning. I think the likes are probably more in the minority. I'm just a big stones fan and I like live music. I'm not really a halftime show guy. I though McCartney had one of the best ever last year.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i watched a rerun of Family Guy on Fox during halftime instead of this disaster

all4
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I too thought they were horrible, and honestly, I think they have been horrible for quite some time. But I also think they are one of the most overrated bands in the history of music, so. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,641
    Hey at least they weren't lip synching like some of the posers they've had in the past.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    URthekey wrote:
    Hey at least they weren't lip synching like some of the posers they've had in the past.
    this is true....

all4
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:

Without a doubt..... Musical performances have become a joke unfortunately. They are all shows with music, but not live music.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I didn't pay too much attention...but two quick things I did notice were:

1) Jagger's 'bingo arms' -- repulsive.

2) It looks like the guy picks his wardrobe out of a 12 year old girl's category of a department store. Whaddayacallit, Jr Miss?
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    I was dissapointed with them too... I saw them twice on the past tour, and I thought they sounded amazing in the two stadiums I saw. However, last night, even forgiving the sound quality, I don't think they played well at all. They weren't tight at all.

Oh well, I would MUCH rather have a subpar stones halftime show then 90% of the other ones that I've seen.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Mr DMr D Posts: 20
    They were absolutely fantastic. Reminded me of when I first saw them in '78.
    Raw,rugged, and sloppy. NO back ups on stage, no childrens choir, no preaching about saving the world, and no Britney and Justin! This was out and out R N R at its finest. God bless Mick and the boys. Finally a real rock band that knows how to play w/out embarassing themselves ala Aerosmith.
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Speaking of Super Bowl music performances...........did anyone see SNL this week? They did a spoof of Aaron Neville and Aretha Franklin practicing the National Anthem. The spoof was dead on (especially with Neville) and probably better than the real thing!
    Brian
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    honestly, i thought their performance was great! i really hadn't seen them since i had been to their Voodoo Lounge Tour Concert... so, i had no idea that they were still rockin' out like that!...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Mr D wrote:
    They were absolutely fantastic. Reminded me of when I first saw them in '78.
    Raw,rugged, and sloppy. NO back ups on stage, no childrens choir, no preaching about saving the world, and no Britney and Justin! This was out and out R N R at its finest. God bless Mick and the boys. Finally a real rock band that knows how to play w/out embarassing themselves ala Aerosmith.
    I'm glad someone else thinks so. May be the speakers I heard them on were better than most tv speakers. Either way, I thought it was overall good. Jagger sounded very good. they were a little sloppy, but not too bad. I could only hear one guitar, but it sounded good. I would say that it rocked overall and definately made me wish that I had seen them this last year. I am very, very suprised to hear people trashing it. It was the best halftime show I have ever seen. Pretty much two excellent years in a row, miles beyond the crap of years before.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    I'm glad someone else thinks so. May be the speakers I heard them on were better than most tv speakers. Either way, I thought it was overall good. Jagger sounded very good. they were a little sloppy, but not too bad. I could only hear one guitar, but it sounded good. I would say that it rocked overall and definately made me wish that I had seen them this last year. I am very, very suprised to hear people trashing it. It was the best halftime show I have ever seen. Pretty much two excellent years in a row, miles beyond the crap of years before.
    Agreed. The sound through the tv was off and on. Not the best mix job. People are so used to hearing lip synched performances, that they can't grasp an actual live raw performance with no schtick invovled.
  • Options
    Mr D wrote:
    Agreed. that they can't grasp an actual live raw performance with no schtick invovled.
    Yes I can..they just sucked.
  • Options
    i saw them 2 weeks ago at MSG and they were AMAZING.....if you thought it sucked:

a) they were playing in rough conditions

b) their power doesn't translate thru a TV set, you have to be there live

c) you just think the stones suck, period (as my friends i watched with did)

i've been to PJ shows that were awesome, and then heard the bootleg and i couldn't believe it was the same performance.....the power of music can get lost as it goes through filters like TV, radio, cd, etc

granted, micks voice is rough, and he kind of speaks the lyrics instead of singing them, but he rules live............and he runs around like a nut for 3 hours nonstop, amazing! (maybe thats why his vocals get sacrificed)
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    i went out for a cigarette while the rolling stones were on. then i went out for another one after the seahawks lost.
    that's faarkokte.
  • Options
    Mr D wrote:
    Agreed. The sound through the tv was off and on. Not the best mix job. People are so used to hearing lip synched performances, that they can't grasp an actual live raw performance with no schtick invovled.
    yeah, I could imagine getting a totally different sound through a regular tv. All I thought I would hear was praise for their performance, but I was surprised last year when I heard people complaining because the NFL went with real music instead of video star music. A super classy move by the league, just hope they keep it up.
    beatles, stones, who's next?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    yeah, I could imagine getting a totally different sound through a regular tv. All I thought I would hear was praise for their performance, but I was surprised last year when I heard people complaining because the NFL went with real music instead of video star music. A super classy move by the league, just hope they keep it up.
    beatles, stones, who's next?
    Based on so much negativity just on this board alone, I fear we will be having to endure another lip synched Ashlee and Jessica Simpson duet, with special guest Kelly Clarkson.
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    granted, micks voice is rough, and he kind of speaks the lyrics instead of singing them, but he rules live............and he runs around like a nut for 3 hours nonstop, amazing! (maybe thats why his vocals get sacrificed)

yeah, then maybe he should just fucking sing?

i'm not trying to say the lip-synching pop groups are any better, but i agree with jellyrolls. the stones just weren't good last night. but i never dug the stones too much in the first place. i can't take a band seriously when their egos are that bloated.
    that's faarkokte.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    The Stones ego bloated? What?

I saw the Stones twice this past tour, and they were amazing. The sound last night sucked. It was mixed awfully. Start Me Up did suck however. I will agree to that, it was so sloppy and they were off. But Rough Justice and Satisfaction were amazing. I still can't believe they edited out cocks in Rough Justice.

Micks voice is still really good, Eddie even said so in that interview from Pittsburgh on the Stones site.

Mick also probably has more muscle than you do. "When 65 years old you reach, look as good you will not."
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Seeing that Mick Jagger is like 60, I thought they did a pretty good job, and Mick got into the music more than I thought he would...but yeah, it was a Superbowl show so it wasn't spectacular or anything...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    dirt wrote:
    I didn't pay too much attention...but two quick things I did notice were:

1) Jagger's 'bingo arms' -- repulsive.

2) It looks like the guy picks his wardrobe out of a 12 year old girl's category of a department store. Whaddayacallit, Jr Miss?

Its sad to say, but if Mick was pickin his clothes out of jr. miss dept. it woulda been alot skimpier.

Honestly, though, I thought the Stones did a fantastic job. The sound was shit, and I didnt understand that, given the bankroll. Tons better than Aerosmith from a few years back. Now that was pathetic.
  • Options
    "They were absolutely fantastic. Reminded me of when I first saw them in '78.Raw,rugged, and sloppy. NO back ups on stage, no childrens choir, no preaching about saving the world, and no Britney and Justin! This was out and out R N R at its finest. God bless Mick and the boys. Finally a real rock band that knows how to play w/out embarassing themselves ala Aerosmith."

there is nothing raw and rugged about playing at the superbowl

not to mention, in a giant sequin tounge
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • Options
    pearljam7 wrote:
    "They were absolutely fantastic. Reminded me of when I first saw them in '78.Raw,rugged, and sloppy. NO back ups on stage, no childrens choir, no preaching about saving the world, and no Britney and Justin! This was out and out R N R at its finest. God bless Mick and the boys. Finally a real rock band that knows how to play w/out embarassing themselves ala Aerosmith."

there is nothing raw and rugged about playing at the superbowl

not to mention, in a giant sequin tounge

Whats not raw or rugged about sequins