Options

bob dylan

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited July 2007 in Other Music
i don't want to say this out loud, but i've obly recently started listening to bob dylan. i only have desire. i've been given this album alot of attention these last couple of days, and i'm totally in love with it. amazing story telling

which album(s) should i investigate next?

choices so far (i thought) would be:
highway 61 revisited
love and theft
modern times

any thought?

rock on
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    check out his first few albums. They are flawless.

Freewheelin,
    Times they are a changin,
    Another Side of Bob Dylan,
    Bringing it all back home
    Blonde on Blonde
    John Wesley Harding

all great music, all great albums
  • Options
    check out his first few albums. They are flawless.

Freewheelin,
    Times they are a changin,
    Another Side of Bob Dylan,
    Bringing it all back home
    Blonde on Blonde
    John Wesley Harding

all great music, all great albums

sweet, i'm gonna do that.
    do you have desire? like?

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    I do have desire. I like that album as well. One more cup of coffee, and Sara are my favorite tracks on that one
  • Options
    I do have desire. I like that album as well. One more cup of coffee, and Sara are my favorite tracks on that one

my favorites:

isis
    oh sister
    sara (definately)

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    a better question would be which ones SHOULDN'T you investigate. The list above should keep you busy for awhile however...

Blood on the Tracks is my favorite CD.... from anybody. So of course I feel the need to toss that out.

Since you have Desire, you may also look into the Official Bootleg Series where he released a live Rolling Thunder '75 series. He does several off that and IMO his band was on fire during that period.
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    transplant wrote:
    a better question would be which ones SHOULDN'T you investigate. The list above should keep you busy for awhile however...

Blood on the Tracks is my favorite CD.... from anybody. So of course I feel the need to toss that out.

Since you have Desire, you may also look into the Official Bootleg Series where he released a live Rolling Thunder '75 series. He does several off that and IMO his band was on fire during that period.

Yeah, don't forget the first release from that bootleg series (66 I believe) when he first went electric
    Also, I want to note he had the same band (The Band) for that one.
    Simply Brilliant
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    blonde on blonde and highway 61 are amazing.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Blood on the Tracks is my favorite of his, followed by Highway 61. I think Blonde on BLonde is a little overrated. Modern Times is a very good album if you decide to pick it up, but I would suggest getting some of his older stuff first.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:

The Rolling Thunder Review was one of the greatest bands of the era. That period of live Dylan is unbelievable.

I'd get Blonde On Blonde next and work forwards and backwards from there.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    there really is no wrong place to start. i would recommend blood on the tracks and john wesley harding, since those are my two all-time personal favorites.

but there are a lot of options here. the freewheelin' bob dylan, the times they are a-changin', another side of bob dylan, and bringing it all back home are all very essential albums. they represent his early career when his style was still mostly geared towards traditional folk music. some of his best songwriting is on these albums, and it will really give you an appreciation for how how great (and underrated) a guitar player he was. you can also include his self-titled debut album in this category. it was largely ignored at the time of its release, but in my opinion it is dylan's most raw and intense album.

then of course there's highway 61 revisited and blonde on blonde. these are two very important albums in the history of music. they represent the beginning of folk rock, and they set a pretty high standard in terms of songwriting.

his three most recent albums are also very good: time out of mind, love and theft, and modern times. he takes a different approach to songwriting now, and it has really rejuvenated him as an artist.

and there's a lot of great material that i haven't mentioned. even his lesser-known albums never fail to amaze me. like i said, there's really no wrong place to start.

in terms of live albums, rolling thunder revue is an amazing bootleg. mtv unplugged is also very good.

i would also recommend no direction home, the martin scorsese documentary. very insightful.
  • Options
    Holy Shit!!! What a question!!! Can't go wrong with any early ones. I started off with a tape my brother made me: "Highway 61". Great album, also "Freewhelin" and "Blood on the Tracks". All of his bootleg stuff is fantastic as well. Get ready you are probably in for a great musical discovery experience!!!!
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • Options
    The Rolling Thunder Review was one of the greatest bands of the era. That period of live Dylan is unbelievable.

That is a fantastic bootleg!
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    blonde on blonde and blood on the tracks are my favorite dylan albums...the live at royal albert hall bootleg is also amazing...
  • Options
    BLONDE ON BLONDE and BLOOD ON THE TRACKS are his best albums.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I recommend the Essential Bob dylan if you are just starting out on getting into Dylan. It's a 2 disc 30 song collection that covers a pretty good majority of his career. It's a greatest hits collection, and it's fabulous.

Most albums have already been mentioned but I'd like to add oh Mercy!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Blood on the Tracks is my favorite (by anyone, ever).
    Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing It All Back Home are the three big electric ones from the 60s, all amazing (Bringing is half electric)
    Freewheelin and Another Side of Bob Dylan are also great (I do not like The Times as much)
    The recent 3 are also good- Time Out Of Mind is my favorite of those- the song Standing in the Doorway is one of my favs
    For live stuff, Bootleg Series 4,5,6 are all great ('66,'75,'64 respectively). 1966 is my favorite.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    glasshouse wrote:
    i don't want to say this out loud, but i've obly recently started listening to bob dylan. i only have desire. i've been given this album alot of attention these last couple of days, and i'm totally in love with it. amazing story telling

highway 61 revisited
    love and theft
    modern times

any thought?

rock on

Freewheelin
    Highway 61
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Blonde On Blonde
    Blood On The Tracks
    Time Out Of Mind
    Modern Times
    Another Side
    John Wesley Harding
    Bootleg Series 4
    Basement Tapes

That'll keep you going ;)

Desire is definitely up there with those though :cool:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    start with the essential bob dylan. it's a double disc and is def. in my opinion one of the top five greatest hits cd's of all time. after that just keep buying his cd's. he's got a lot of material....i probably have about 25 discs of his and i enjoy them all. the times they are a changin and another side of bob dylan are prob. my two faves. i liked the early stuff.....but if you really like desire, you might want to try blood on the tracks, blonde on blonde, or highway 61 revisted. they're all great
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    I recommend the Essential Bob dylan if you are just starting out on getting into Dylan. It's a 2 disc 30 song collection that covers a pretty good majority of his career. It's a greatest hits collection, and it's fabulous.

Most albums have already been mentioned but I'd like to add oh Mercy!
    I HATE Bob Dylan greatest hits. They cut off songs that are too long and forget some of his very best work - often subbing it for mediocre half hits from the 80s like "Silvio". My first Dylan album was the Essential Bob Dylan and it certainly didn't keep me from loving him, but seriously, get the actual albums.

Visions of Johanna - 9 minutes long
    It's Alright Ma (I'm only Bleeding) - About 10 minutes long
    Desolation Row - really long.. at least 8 minutes
    Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - 13?

etc. All left off his greatest hits compilations.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    where are u, hippiemom? we virtually listened to live 66 together! ;]
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Boss302Boss302 Posts: 69
    Just watched the "No Direction Home" DVD by Scorsese. Wow, a must for Dylan fans.
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:

highway 61 revisited
    love and theft
    modern times

any thought?

rock on

Obviously Blonde On Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited. I don't know why you would be ashamed?
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    Start here;

http://www.bobdylan.com/moderntimes/music/albumsMain.html

and work your way from the bottom up, right to left. Chronologically is the best way. It's the way I started, though I started in 1963. His music evolved over a period and is hard to fully comprehend when you just jump in. It's a lot of work. But hey, so is studying philosophy, history, math, science...well you get what I mean.

Or you can just play Like a Rolling Stone over and over and over and over...................................................

Also check this out.....................................October 2007 release
    http://www.dylan07.com/trailer.html
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I HATE Bob Dylan greatest hits. They cut off songs that are too long and forget some of his very best work - often subbing it for mediocre half hits from the 80s like "Silvio". My first Dylan album was the Essential Bob Dylan and it certainly didn't keep me from loving him, but seriously, get the actual albums.

Visions of Johanna - 9 minutes long
    It's Alright Ma (I'm only Bleeding) - About 10 minutes long
    Desolation Row - really long.. at least 8 minutes
    Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - 13?

etc. All left off his greatest hits compilations.
    you got those all wrong :)

visions of johanna is about 7, as is its alright ma
    desolation row is about 11
    sad eyed lady of the lowlands is 12-ish
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,390
    Bob fuckin' Dylan. I'm bumping this just because Dylan's music has totally hit me this year and taken over my life.

I loved Eddie's Masters Of War from the Dylan show in '92. Then I heard the original song a few years back and didn't think much of it. Heard a few other Bob songs and never really liked them. For years I'd been reading reviews and stories of what a legend he is and didn't understand. I thought I was missing something.

Anyway, back in January I heard Visions of Johanna for the first time. I don't know if it was because I was feeling a certain way, but the song jumped out at me and hit me like a ton of bricks. I had an immediate visceral response to it, as I now do to most Dylan material. I feel them first, and then I think about the potential meanings/purpose of them later on. Its a strange response sometimes, because I'll hear a song that I have zero idea what its about but makes me feel very strongly in different ways.

I'm rambling, so back on topic. I think its good to listen chronologically because it helps understand where he started and where he went and where he is now. In some ways, the preceding album informs the next one, not necessarily in its sound but in terms of his journey. With some records, there were hints at where he was perhaps heading artistically. Not always the case though, but for example I feel like most of Street Legal (1978) shows subtle hints that the next record would be more religious overall. Bob has conjured up religious imagery many times in the past, but for me there was something about the way he was singing and what he was actually saying that was laying groundwork for Slow Train Coming (1979).

His journey is fascinating. Its strange because even the weird, weak shitty records are essential if one wants to get a full understanding of Dylan's artistic arc. The 'Christian' trilogy of albums are easily the weakest imo but there's still one or two gems in there if you look hard enough. But I also ADORE some of the 80s stuff which most people tend to despise or speak poorly of. Here's my favourite albums/tracks which I recommend. The standard essential stuff has been suggested, so I'll recommend some of the less acclaimed stuff :) Make sure you still listen to the albums in full, because its important to fully appreciate the songs. The songs listed are just my favourites :)

Nashville Skyline (1969).
    Essential songs: Girl From The North Country (duet with Johnny Cash), I Threw It All Away, Lay Lady Lay.

New Morning (1970).
    Essential songs: If Not For You, Winterlude, New Morning, Father Of Night.

Planet Waves (1974).
    On A Night Like This, Going Going Gone, Tough Mama, Forever Young, Dirge.

Desire (1976). This was mentioned above, but I can't recommend it enough. Amazing sound on this one, the violin really adds a lot.
    Hurricane, Isis (!!), Mozambique, Oh Sister, Romance In Durango.

Hard Rain (live album - 1976).
    Stellar versions of Oh Sister, Shelter From The Storm, I Threw It All Away, Idiot Wind.

Street Legal (1978).
    Changing Of The Guards, No Time To Think, Baby Stop Crying, Senor (Tales of Yankee Power), Where Are You Tonight?

Slow Train Coming (1979).
    Precious Angel, I Believe In You.

Shot Of Love (1981).
    Heart Of Mine, Every Grain Of Sand.

Infidels (1983).
    Jokerman, Neighbourhood Bully, Licence To Kill, I And I.

Empire Burlesque (1985).
    Tight Connection To My Heart, Clean Cut Kid, Dark Eyes.

Knocked Out Loaded (1986).
    Brownsville Girl, Got My Mind Made Up.

Oh Mercy (1989).
    Where Teardrops Fall, Ring Them Bells, Man in the Long Black Coat, Most Of The Time, What Good Am I? Shooting Star.

Most people regard this one as his strongest album from the 80s. Daniel Lanois seemed to push him and with his producing skill they created a sound that Dylan would return to somewhat for 1997's Time Out Of Mind. Dylan and Lanois apparently clashed a lot during the making of this one, but the results are very rewarding. It's strange, because this was critically a big success but then for the next record he went somewhere totally different and was once again met with terrible reviews. He'd stumbled onto something great with Oh Mercy, but perhaps he wasn't ready to see it through and continue down this particular path. Then, in 1992 he released two albums which were pretty much just Dylan and acoustic guitar singing folk songs much like his first albums. I see these as a cleansing of the palette in a way, Dylan clearing his throat and closing the door on his career up to this point, shaking off any last folksie sentiments before venturing down a new path with a new voice and new ways of saying things. From here, Dylan becomes the true singer of the American Songbook that we see today in my opinion. From here, we'd get a true resurgence and some bona fide classic records.

Time Out Of Mind (1997).
    Love Sick, Million Miles, Not Dark Yet (MASTERPIECE of a song), Cold Irons Bound, Highlands.

"Love & Theft". (2001).
    Mississippi, Summer Days, Lonesome Day Blues, High Water, Honest With Me, Cry A While.

Modern Times (2006).
    Thunder On The Mountain, Spirit In The Water, Workingman Blues #2, Nettie Moore.

Together Through Life (2009).
    Beyond Here Lies Nothing, Life Is Hard, Forgetful Heart, Shake Shake Mama.

Tempest (2012).
    Duquesne Whistle, Narrow Way, Pay In Blood, Early Roman Kings, Tempest.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Bob

Dylan

Wrote propaganda songgggggs!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,390
    brianlux said:

Bob

Dylan

Ha, what??
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    The Rock said:

brianlux said:

Bob

Dylan

Ha, what??
    Oh sorry! I had just flashed on how many years ago I had picked up this new album by the Minutemen and was telling a co-worker about this puck band and their song "Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs". The guy got really angry and clenched his fists and told me I had better not say anything bad about Bob Dylan! Au contraire! Those guys were Bob FANATICS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EFGb5sgGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YXvuP1kLvw

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Bob is returning to Europe next summer!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Fuck. Put the alarm on 8:10 for the sale for tickets starting at 09.

I woke up 09:50. Don't know how that happend. 

So didn't get the hottest tickets, but bought tickets to his Gothenburg show. Guessing it's the last time he'll visit Europe.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"