the beatles: are the all they are cracked up to be?

2»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yes, the beatles are all that and more besides. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Paul McCartney is a knobhead though.*

*Alledgedly
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    most probably^^^. his latest music vid is bit of a joke.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    glasshouse wrote:
    most probably^^^. his latest music vid is bit of a joke.

Yes it is, and Ringo's best work was on Thomas the Tank Engine
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    glasshouse wrote:
    in general i'm kind of anti - greatest hits compilations and stuff like that, but when considering the beatles i actually prefer their greatest hits compilations to their studio efforts.

i mean to this day i feel that (for example) Abbey road has a shit load of filler, i'd much rather listen to the album: the beatles 1962 - 1966.

that might just be one of the finest albums ever compiled. 26 songs of pure genius. not one song on there falling short of stunning.

i used to own all their albums, but i sold the set banking on them releasing digitally remastered albums... it hasn't happened. im thinking when it does, im just going to get those albums and a smattering of their best stuff... like revolver... the selections from that album for the comp SUCK. 'tomorrow never knows' anyone? id probly have to get the white album too.
  • Yes.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Just consider this...
    The entire Beatles' catalog... from 'She loves You' to 'Strawberry Fields, Forever' to 'Helter Skelter' to the amazing Abbey Road montage... was accomplished in 7 years. All before any of them reached the age of 31.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • The answer to this question to me is Yes and No.

Yes. You cant deny their cultural and musical impact. That can not be overstated... Many of their songs are well written and timeless... that being said....

No. I dont think as performers they were that amazing... Their songs i like are the ones that are performed by other people... I like Beatles covers significantly more than beatles songs... Ae rosmith, JoeCocker, Eddie Vedder, Our Lady Peace, among countless others. I used to hate the beatles all together, but now i recognize their abilities as song writers, I just dont like how they sound.
  • Beatles or the Stones.

Stones....but, if you ask me that question I say, "Who"?

because Pete is godlike in his brilliance. :D

beatles have rocky raccoon tho' :cool:
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Beatles or the Stones.

he he i love that answer, although the beatles outshine in the end, not because of rocky racoon tho...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Hell Yes!!

I will never quite be a tragic fan because by the time I had heard their stuff there was a million wannabes out there. If I was around when they first hit the airwaves I know I would of been a hopeless fan.

Having said that John Lennon's Anthology is just amazing. Just put it on and your there in the studio with him. Great songwriter, performer and an all round entertaining personality.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    again, NO!!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • smokeabudsmokeabud Posts: 253
    like the others have said. probably the best Band of all time. there isnt a song in their catalog that DIDNT go GOLD !
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Beatles or the Stones.

She hates The Beatles
    And likes the Stones
    If she had her way she'd listen to the Ramones

She's my bitch.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    it's about high time i get myself a bitch
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick