the beatles: are the all they are cracked up to be?

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited July 2007 in Other Music
probably. you tell me and all your friends on this board. post below.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    they've sold more albums than you've got brain cells... and thats just in Albania
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    yes. beyond all the hype about them revolutionizing music, which may or may not be true. there were a lot of bands doing psychedelia and whatnot, they were just the biggest and no one saw it coming when they took that leap of faith. it also brought that kind of music into the mainstream public conscious.

but above all, their songs are AMAZING. they could turn out a pop tune to rival all without breaking a sweat. they could mind fuck you with their tripped out sound. they could rock as hard as anyone. they could open themselves up.

i love the beatles. yes, they deserve the hype. they turned to gold all they touched.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    they turned to gold all they touched.

even gold stuff? how cool would that be...

Midas on bass
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    dunkman wrote:
    they've sold more albums than you've got brain cells...

that's a fuck load. all hail the mighty 4

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    dunkman wrote:
    even gold stuff? how cool would that be...

Midas on bass

lol :D

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    yes...they changed everything
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Yes, they're everything they're hyped up to be and more. They revolutionized music, and not only that, but society too. They're amazing - everything they touched, as said above, was golden.

If you think they're boring or unoriginal, you're probably right. But that's only because every musical group since the Beatles has tried to be them.

Long live the fuckin' Beatles. John & George, we'll always miss you.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    No
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    glasshouse wrote:

Why tell you???
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    drew0 wrote:

But that's only because every musical group since the Beatles has tried to be them.

What an utterly ludicrous statement.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    dirtyT wrote:
    No

explain please.........
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    glasshouse wrote:

I don't deny their talent, but I really don't enjoy them all that much. I like Rubber Soul a lot, but I think it's mostly because it's nostalgic for me, because I listened to that one with my family a lot as a little kid.

I can't stand the white album.

And Sgt. Pepper...? Sgt. Pepper can suck it. :D
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    absolutely. they were revolutionary, and their influence is *still* felt decades later.
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Beatles = Boy Band

Did the Backstreet boys play Helter Skelter?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    explain please.........
    Gremmie, we have had this discussion 10,000 times. You are just trying to start a rabid hatred disease on here aren't you? Bad Gremmie....BAD!!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Beatles = Boy Band
    beatles = boy band = Backstreet Boys....

I would have to agree here!!! Go ahead shoot me to pieces, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    Honestly, I don't think I've ever really liked one Beatles song...some sound ok to me, but I've never really connected with anything they did together or individually. They seemed to connect with lots of other people, so I guess they are what they're cracked up to be...I just never saw what the big deal is with them.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    They're hit and miss. They have a lot of fucking gay songs like Lady Madonna, Lovely Rita, and When I'm 64. I can't listen to any of their albums all the way through because there are some horrid songs on each one that I can't stand listening to. I much prefer The Stones myself but to each is own.
  • augustwest wrote:
    Why tell you???

God this stuff makes me crack up some times. I should stop reading the message pit at work.
    Don't gimme no lip
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    It is simple fact that the Beatles are the best band of all time. The point is not up for debate.

And for those who call the Beatles a boy band, your musical knowledge = shite.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Beatles = Boy Band
    It's evolution, baby..........they started off as a "boy band", but evolved into something new.

Beatles=Boy Band---->the foundation for that all that came after them. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    yes the beatles are really all they are cracked up to be
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    yes the beatles are really all they are cracked up to be
    Damn straight!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yes.

Enough said.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Posts: 1,028
    Did the Backstreet boys play Helter Skelter?
    lol. . .they are a very influential band, i like them but they are not my favorite. . .i agree with the person who said they prefer the stones

did the beatles ever play "i want it that way"? if not, can you "tell me why"?
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    augustwest wrote:
    Why tell you???

yawn

bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Beatles = Boy Band

that is the equivalent of pearl jam = emo. nice

• bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Beatles = Boy Band
    if beatles = boy band then dolly parton = brittney spears... or something i dunno... i couldn't think of anything good to say just that your comment sucks.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
    in general i'm kind of anti - greatest hits compilations and stuff like that, but when considering the beatles i actually prefer their greatest hits compilations to their studio efforts.

i mean to this day i feel that (for example) Abbey road has a shit load of filler, i'd much rather listen to the album: the beatles 1962 - 1966.

that might just be one of the finest albums ever compiled. 26 songs of pure genius. not one song on there falling short of stunning.