Options

The Arctic Monkeys

punk90kpunk90k Posts: 54
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Is anyone else into these guys? Just set for their 2nd number 1 single in the UK. Album out on Monday - set to be biggest seller in the UK this year.
Four 19/20 year old lads from my city of Sheffield. They basically sing about life in Sheffield and even sing in our dialect!!.
Refused any tv shows apart from Jools Holland. Success came for demos on the internet.
Suddnely they are the biggest band in England. Weird or what. To think not so long ago I sat next to two of them at a Sheffield Wednesday football game!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    the most important thing is to look beyond all the hype and crap and take them for what they are - a great band!
    it's astonishing that the NME hypes them and i still like them... i just think it usually works out better for bands if they can taste success in small doses in order not to drown in high expectations... but they seem to handle themselves pretty well so far...
    i really liked their demos and "whatever people say i am, that's what i'm not" is an amazing debut album... quite a few songs that weren't released earlier so they already have a pretty solid back catalogue for an emerging band...
    catchy rock songs with great lyrics...
    a bit like the who fronted by mike skinner...

i think it's great that the no.1 single "i bet you look good on the dance floor" isn't even their best song.... lots of good ones... "a certain romance", "fake tales of san francisco", "mardy bum", "riot van", "scummy/when the sun goes down"...
    my current favourite has to be "maybe vampires is a bit strong but..." - i just love the little breakdown where alex screams from the off, "all you people are vampires!", brilliant!

they are not the saviours of rock n' roll - who says that rock music needs to be safed anyway? but they are definitely one of the best new bands around at the moment...

highly recommended!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    It's weird with those guys. I don't want to like them because their music is so dance-oriented and the lyrics are pretty immature. But they just have a groove going that pulls you in. Is it just me or do they sound just a tad like Franz Ferdinand?
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Still undecided on them as of now. The hype they are getting in the UK is a blessing and a curse. It makes people notice which is the hardest thing for a new band to do, but it also creates the needless and unfounded backlash. I know people who hate them already just based on NME and the other hype machines praising them so highly.

From all of the impressions I have heard of their album, it sounds like they will fall right in line with the other hyped up UK bands like Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party. A good album, but not earth shattering or the most important band of their generation as I believe they have been called already.

I like the Dance Floor song, but not their 2nd single, I might pick up the album next week, still not sure...
  • Options
    well im seeing them live when they open for OASIS! in toronto, so i hope they are good.
  • Options
    BradassBradass Posts: 88
    Personally I can't stand them and the way NME is already hyping them up as "The Most Important Band of Our Generation" is hilarious
    One time I was trying to print a picture of me so I could give it to a friend to cheer him up after he was diagnosed with cancer, but the printer jammed, and my friend died.
  • Options
    It's weird with those guys. I don't want to like them because their music is so dance-oriented and the lyrics are pretty immature. But they just have a groove going that pulls you in. Is it just me or do they sound just a tad like Franz Ferdinand?

yes, they sound a bit like the current crop of british indie rock bands but i think they rock far more than franz ferdinand ever did...
    it's interesting how you find their lyrics immature... true, they're not singing about the meaning of the universe but depict every-day life... i think the lyrics are very clever... that's why i used the comparison with the streets' mike skinner earlier...

"Fake Tales of San Francisco
    Echo through the room
    More point to a wedding disco
    Without a bride or groom
    There's a super cool band yeah
    With their trilbys and their glasses of white wine
    And all the weekend rockstars in the toilets
    Practicing their lines"
    (Fake Tales of San Francisco)

"Well oh they might wear classic Reeboks
    Or knackered Converse
    Or tracky bottoms tucked in socks
    But all of that's what the point is not
    The point's that there ain't no romance around there
    And there's the truth that they can't see
    They'd probably like to throw a punch at me
    And if you could only see them, then you would agree
    Agree that there ain't no romance around there

And over there there's broken bones
    There's only music, so that there's new ringtones
    And it don't take no Sherlock Holmes
    To see it's a little different around here"
    (A Certain Romance)

i don't know about sheffield, but if you ever hung out with london scenesters you will find those words very to the point... i had my fair share of that, so i can relate to the lyrics...
    and i'm a sucker for different british accents, guess that helps a bit :D

and those lines could have well been written for the entire NME staff:

"Cause all you people are vampires
    And all your stories are stale
    And though you pretend that you'll stand by us
    I know you're sure that we'll fail"
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    yes, they sound a bit like the current crop of british indie rock bands but i think they rock far more than franz ferdinand ever did...
    it's interesting how you find their lyrics immature... true, they're not singing about the meaning of the universe but depict every-day life... i think the lyrics are very clever... that's why i used the comparison with the streets' mike skinner earlier...

"Fake Tales of San Francisco
    Echo through the room
    More point to a wedding disco
    Without a bride or groom
    There's a super cool band yeah
    With their trilbys and their glasses of white wine
    And all the weekend rockstars in the toilets
    Practicing their lines"
    (Fake Tales of San Francisco)

"Well oh they might wear classic Reeboks
    Or knackered Converse
    Or tracky bottoms tucked in socks
    But all of that's what the point is not
    The point's that there ain't no romance around there
    And there's the truth that they can't see
    They'd probably like to throw a punch at me
    And if you could only see them, then you would agree
    Agree that there ain't no romance around there

And over there there's broken bones
    There's only music, so that there's new ringtones
    And it don't take no Sherlock Holmes
    To see it's a little different around here"
    (A Certain Romance)

i don't know about sheffield, but if you ever hung out with london scenesters you will find those words very to the point... i had my fair share of that, so i can relate to the lyrics...
    and i'm a sucker for different british accents, guess that helps a bit :D

and those lines could have well been written for the entire NME staff:

"Cause all you people are vampires
    And all your stories are stale
    And though you pretend that you'll stand by us
    I know you're sure that we'll fail"

I guess the case could be made either way:

"I've heard that you look good on the dancefloor
    I don't know if your looking for romance or...
    I don't know what ya looking for
    Well I bet that you look good on the dancefloor
    Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984
    From 1984!"

I think they're a little short on really profound lines. Not every song can be profound but a line here and there helps a lot. But I think bands like PJ or Modest Mouse start at a whole other level lyrically. But I havent really listened that much to them and their lyrics so I can't really put up an argument here.
  • Options
    SlashSlash Posts: 12
    BritneyJam wrote:
    well im seeing them live when they open for OASIS! in toronto, so i hope they are good.

Yeah me too! I never heard of them until I saw they were opening for Oasis.
    I Love Beer
  • Options
    haha, yeah, i totally understand where you're coming from... i never claimed those were the most profound lyrics ever... just a rock band singing about being in a rock band in a wittier than average way...
    Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984

this line still makes me chuckle though :D
    ~~~

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    haha, yeah, i totally understand where you're coming from... i never claimed those were the most profound lyrics ever... just a rock band singing about being in a rock band in a wittier than average way...

I think you're confusing them with the Kings Of Leon, that's wittier than average, I'd say the Monkeys are below average in my book. But as I've said, the case can probably be made either way.

psycosmic wrote:
    this line still makes me chuckle though :D

Yeah, me too :D Maybe thats what you meant with witty, but still...
  • Options
    Thought this thread could do with a revival :D

Any song can show bad lyrics if you pick out the right few lines, but as far as listening to the whole song, The Arctic Monkeys have a great thing going. Any more opinions now it's nearly 2 weeks after the album release?

Still haven't heard them, try this:

Look Good on the Dancefloor / When The Sun Goes down
    http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/minisites/whateverpeoplesay_int/

Fake Tales of San Francisco
    http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/index.php?page=multimedia&artistID=168&artistID=209&view=audio

:cool:
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    I heard thier demos passed through internet forums before anyone had really heard of the band, never thought they would get to the stage they are at now. Their songs are pretty good but i just don't have any interest in the band, nothing stands out about them for me and their success has amazed me but fair credit to the band. They seem as bemused about the whole thing as i am.

They are ridiculously overhyped by NME, already listing thier album in the top 10 british albums ever a week after it's released! The band can't help that though. As much as i am underwhelmed by them it was great to see them get no.1 with 'bet you look good on the dancefloor' after little press or attention. Indie or even rock bands never get to no.1 so that was a great achievement for them.
    I don't have to sell my soul, he's already in me

If you've lost your faith in love and music the end won't be long
  • Options
    Thought this thread could do with a revival :D

Any song can show bad lyrics if you pick out the right few lines, but as far as listening to the whole song, The Arctic Monkeys have a great thing going. Any more opinions now it's nearly 2 weeks after the album release?

Still haven't heard them, try this:

Look Good on the Dancefloor / When The Sun Goes down
    http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/minisites/whateverpeoplesay_int/

Fake Tales of San Francisco
    http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/index.php?page=multimedia&artistID=168&artistID=209&view=audio

:cool:

Well, I have listened to whole songs of theirs and I still think they're rather shallow. Let's agree that they can be fun to listen to, why looking for something profound all the time anyway? I'm glad that you brought back the thread, the album's out a week or so now and I'm curious whats gonna happen. Are they already in the charts?
  • Options
    Well, I have listened to whole songs of theirs and I still think they're rather shallow. Are they already in the charts?

I'm not saying I think this is a ground breaking album, but I see why it's getting hype. They write about what they know .. working class (northern) British culture, and not everyone can relate to that. But if you've ever been to a northern nightclub you'll see it is full of teenagers "Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984" Great description! :D They're cleverly written songs from that aspect.

It's #1 in the album charts .. but whether that's a good thing I'm not sure :D
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    Well, I have listened to whole songs of theirs and I still think they're rather shallow. Let's agree that they can be fun to listen to, why looking for something profound all the time anyway? I'm glad that you brought back the thread, the album's out a week or so now and I'm curious whats gonna happen. Are they already in the charts?

haha, i'm also glad this thread is back again... so we can disagree some more :D
    MOTH, you know how the german charts work, i just can't see them making it big over here...
    but it's the best-selling UK debut album EVER!!!!!!!!! i know sales don't equal greatness but at least this tells you something...

but it's still beyond me how anyone can't see that they write very clever lyrics - MOTH, i'm looking in your direction :D every earnest review on the net will back me up...
    lyrically, they're less shakespeare and more bukowski... is that a bad thing? i'd say no! does everybody have to like it? hell no...

i start to feel like i'm the arctic monkeys no.1 fan boy on this board for always defending them while they're nowhere near my new favourite band... but let me add one more thing...
    those guys are pretty young and out of nowhere became the biggest band in the UK... but all the music aside, i have the utmost respect for their way of handling fame... you could even say they "pulled a pearl jam" on that one... they took an oath to never play top of the pops and they didn't even go to the brits because they don't believe in awards... i think they are very level-headed for their age and i'd rather have more successful bands like the monkeys than all the james blunts of the world...
    ~~~

• Options
    I've had their album for about a week and I really am enjoying it. I always hear everyone saying they sound exactly like the libertines. And I can hear their influence, especially in the song Mardy Bum (which happens to be my favorite on the album) but right now I'm comparing them to the band Kasabian. When I first heard their album and the first song came on and the singer started singing, Kasabian popped into my head. Maybe that's just me

But yeah. I am really enjoying the monkeys
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Options
    Mardy Bum (which happens to be my favorite on the album)

Mine too :D

How many guys relate to this:
    (even better with the music)

Now then Mardy Bum
    I see your frown
    And it's like looking down the barrel of a gun
    And it goes off
    And out come all these words
    Oh there's a very pleasant side to you
    A side I much prefer

It's one that laughs and jokes around
    Remember cuddles in the kitchen
    Yeah, to get things off the ground
    And it was up, up and away
    Oh, but it's right hard to remember
    That on a day like today when you're all argumentative
    And you've got the face on

Well now then Mardy Bum
    Oh I'm in trouble again, aren't I?
    I thought as much
    Cause you turned over there
    Pulling that silent disappointment face
    The one that I can't bear

Can't we laugh and joke around
    Oh, but it's right hard to remember

Yeah I'm sorry I was late
    Well I missed the train
    And then the traffic was a state
    And I can't be arsed to carry on in this debate
    That reoccurs, oh when you say I don't care
    Well of course I do, yeah I clearly do!

So laugh and joke around
    Still it's right hard to remember

I love that line
    :D
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    Mardy is a northern expression for someone who's always moaning.
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options

I love that line
    :D

me too... but i guess it's mainly due to the way he sings it...
    and thanks for explaining what mardy means... i guessed it but didn't know...
    ~~~

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    those guys are pretty young and out of nowhere became the biggest band in the UK... but all the music aside, i have the utmost respect for their way of handling fame... you could even say they "pulled a pearl jam" on that one... they took an oath to never play top of the pops and they didn't even go to the brits because they don't believe in awards... i think they are very level-headed for their age and i'd rather have more successful bands like the monkeys than all the james blunts of the world...

I'll agree with this part ;)

So they're no.1 in the UK? thats cool. What about the US and Germany?

edit - I found them at 20 in Germany which is pretty impressive given the fact that the Strokes are on 25 right now. Their album is not yet released in the US, so no chart position there obviously
  • Options
    I'm waiting for my album to arrive from the UK, but I've listened to what I can find on line and I love them! We have in our possession four tickets to see them in March and we're excited. There's nothing like the rush of getting in on or near the ground floor of a good band.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Bradass wrote:
    Personally I can't stand them and the way NME is already hyping them up as "The Most Important Band of Our Generation" is hilarious
    yes yes yes thank you i agree.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    DabbaDabba Posts: 26
    punk90k wrote:
    Is anyone else into these guys? Just set for their 2nd number 1 single in the UK. Album out on Monday - set to be biggest seller in the UK this year.
    Four 19/20 year old lads from my city of Sheffield. They basically sing about life in Sheffield and even sing in our dialect!!.
    Refused any tv shows apart from Jools Holland. Success came for demos on the internet.
    Suddnely they are the biggest band in England. Weird or what. To think not so long ago I sat next to two of them at a Sheffield Wednesday football game!

I think they're great, I love the album, especially fake tales of San Francisco, when the sun goes down and mardy bum. It's good to know that young bands are being listened to again in this country, particularly ones from out this way!
    I don't read NME because I think most of what they print is utter bollocks, they hype bands up and then two weeks later slag them off for being too popular!
    They might not be on a lyrical par with Pearl Jam but I don't think there's many bands out there that could claim to be. I like them and that's all I'm bothered about. :)
    Beer Pressure
    A benevolent psycological pressure applied by drinking companions encouraging one to consume more alcohol than one feels comfortable drinking.

Chaveller's Check
    A Giro.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Just finished listening to the whole album.
    It damn rocks, I liked it more than expected. This is certainly impressive, a few tracks though seem to repeat the same formula, but anyway I loved the huge, frenetic sound of the album. And the lyrics, they didn't seem foolish to me at all, witty and... kind of fitting with the times. Really good for a start, let's see what does future deserve for them.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    barcoach wrote:
    Just finished listening to the whole album.
    It damn rocks, I liked it more than expected. This is certainly impressive, a few tracks though seem to repeat the same formula, but anyway I loved the huge, frenetic sound of the album. And the lyrics, they didn't seem foolish to me at all, witty and... kind of fitting with the times. Really good for a start, let's see what does future deserve for them.

I'm pretty sure they will have a lot of success with this album but I'm not so sure what'll happen after that. There is always the "next big thing" that gets hyped in the UK and when it comes to putting together a second album it kinda flatlines, the hype isnt there and the bands dont know in which direction to go from their first album. And I kinda sense this danger with those gyus as well. The songs are catchy and fun but as you've pointed out they are all the same mold and that makes it hard to put out a second album IMO. But what speaks for them is the way they handle all this -almost PJesque because dealing with this stuff plays a big part on how their path continues. If they dont try to impress critics but try to make good music they could be around some time. But thats a bit far ahead I guess, the album has just come out or has yet to come out so good luck with it.
  • Options
    the arctic monkeys rule. i heard when the sun goes down a while ago and loved it and then these guys became huge
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • Options
    The word 'Hype' is being thrown around a lot here. They've never once 'hyped' themselves and point blank refused to give anything of themselves away in interviews. Such is the interest, the beseiged drummer's family even have a sign in their window telling people as much amd to respect their privacy. They are a canny bunch of lads for their age and seem to instinctively know how the media circus can crush the spirit. Of course the press want to latch onto them for a quick buck. Did we expect anything less? Don't let that cloud the Arctic Monkey experience. Just enjoy t'music!

Arctic Monkeys is a great band and, through the sheer love of their music, the fans have propelled them from playing dodgy Working Men's Clubs in Rotherham to record breaking success. Who can fault that!?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I call bullshit on the fans. Little to no one would be caring about them if NME and other music rags were saying they were the best thing since the beatles.

as to the music? : zzzzz
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I call bullshit on the fans. Little to no one would be caring about them if NME and other music rags were saying they were the best thing since the beatles.

... so what of us who never read NME or other "music rags " ?? That's like saying because you don't rate them, they're no good and undeserving of the hype.

I saw them on 'Later with Jools Holland' in October and really liked them .. made me go find out who they were.
    That's when I discovered all the hype!

It might be a bit much to say they're the best thing since the Beatles but alot of people are enjoying their music, you're just not one of them.
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:

Eh? The band were already successful, locally, thanks to their fans. They gave away their music at gigs and online. That's how I found them out. Now they have the fastest selling record in UK chart history.

If the music press want to jump on the bandwagon and tell everyone what to think this month then so be it. A lot of people happen to be able to form their own opinions about the music they listen to. If people believe what the press say, whether for good or bad, then they're idiots.

Whether you like the band or not, their music certainly isnt zzzzzzz