Wu-Tang Clan 8 Diagrams near completion

2»

Comments

• yup, that one. though i'm going to have to be selective. i've heard so much about liquid swords and illmatic, i might have to wait on this one.

Yeah Illmatic is in my top 5 of all time. Go with that.
    NERDS!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Yeah Illmatic is in my top 5 of all time. Go with that.

you know, i downloaded a few tracks to see if i like it and im not sure it's for me. i seem to prefer either the alternative rap (jurassic 5, roots) or the g-funk stuff. either something fun or the more literate stuff. the east coast hardcore is the kinda rap that turned me off to the genre so much back in the day... notorious, jay-z, etc. not really my thing.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    yeah, i just love that g-funk sound, and since snoop handles 50% of the raps on the chronic, it's still a kick ass cd. i've no desire for anything else from dr dre... except maybe california love, my all time fav rap song. that's tupac though.

i think im going to pick up illmatic and liquid swords tomorrow. along with appetite for destruction.

ps. is there no love for outkast round here? i only have their best of comp, but it is probably far and away my favorite of all the hip hop i've picked up so far.
    I hear ya... but California Love? Classic track for sure but I'm a huge Tupac fan and it wouldn't make my top 20. he certainly never made a truly great album but with regards to individual tracks, tupac could be mindblowing. Dre brings the song down for me. the 2 minutes of naming places in Cali for the outro is annoying :D

"yeah, uhh... inglewood, inglewood always up to no good"
    "yeah. frisco, frisco"
    "sacremento"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    you know, i downloaded a few tracks to see if i like it and im not sure it's for me. i seem to prefer either the alternative rap (jurassic 5, roots) or the g-funk stuff. either something fun or the more literate stuff. the east coast hardcore is the kinda rap that turned me off to the genre so much back in the day... notorious, jay-z, etc. not really my thing.
    man, Illmatic is soooo much more than Biggie or Jay-Z. Ready to Die by BIG is a classic but Illmatic is incredible. give it another try. I don't know what tracks you heard but the following are absolute classics -

NY State of Mind
    It Ain't Hard to Tell
    Memory Lane
    The World is Yours
    Life's a Bitch
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I hear ya... but California Love? Classic track for sure but I'm a huge Tupac fan and it wouldn't make my top 20. he certainly never made a truly great album but with regards to individual tracks, tupac could be mindblowing. Dre brings the song down for me. the 2 minutes of naming places in Cali for the outro is annoying :D

"yeah, uhh... inglewood, inglewood always up to no good"
    "yeah. frisco, frisco"
    "sacremento"

i just love the groove. he could start naming the hairs on his nutsack and i wouldn't care as long as that bass is going :)
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    man, Illmatic is soooo much more than Biggie or Jay-Z. Ready to Die by BIG is a classic but Illmatic is incredible. give it another try. I don't know what tracks you heard but the following are absolute classics -

NY State of Mind
    It Ain't Hard to Tell
    Memory Lane
    The World is Yours
    Life's a Bitch

those are the ones i was listening to. minus memory lane. i'm more about mood and music than lyrics. i'm sure he has great rhymes, but im more about the vibe i get... it's how i can still listen to bush and nirvana, yet not much care for bruce springsteen. the music just wasn't much fun as i was listening.