Chris Cornell's Voice on Temple of the Dog

reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Just seems to control the whole disc. speed and signature changes, everything it is amazing.
The vocal performance on this disc is possibly one of the best ever.
What are your thoughts?
Can not be arsed with life no more.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my thoughts are this is cornell's best and most emotional vocal performance.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    my thoughts are this is cornell's best and most emotional vocal performance.

Totally, it just seems to control the whole record.
    and when you think the quality of the musicians that voice is pushing, man.
    I'm just in awe, everytime I listen.
    Totally, it just seems to control the whole record.
    and when you think the quality of the musicians that voice is pushing, man.
    I'm just in awe, everytime I listen.

for me, it is cornell's record.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • sweetlewgrlsweetlewgrl Posts: 27
    i think that carry on is good 2 but yah temple of the dog is pretty good 2!
    i think that carry on is good 2 but yah temple of the dog is pretty good 2!
    Whilst I dont mind Carry On as a record, compared to TOTD, it just doesn't have the impodence of the appeal, Carry On is almost bland in comparision.
  • Even his best Soundgarden takes struggle to reach the level of TOTD. Don't forget about the lyrics which I hold in the same regard.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Even his best Soundgarden takes struggle to reach the level of TOTD. Don't forget about the lyrics which I hold in the same regard.

yes, words too. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • This is one of the greatest vocal performances ever if not the best ever. Literally jaw dropping stuff!
  • A thread about TotD even being this near a thread about Cornell's new stuff with Timbaland seems almost sacreligious.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • A thread about TotD even being this near a thread about Cornell's new stuff with Timbaland seems almost sacreligious.
    Hah! That's the truth :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Hah! That's the truth :p

We laugh, but my god, what a depressing comparison. :o
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    We laugh, but my god, what a depressing comparison. :o

I'm convinced that this TOTD Chris is not the same Chris that worked with Timbaland. The real Chris must have died years ago and was replaced by a fake one (maybe a robot) with no talent whatsoever. I mean, it's the only explanation! How can someone come from TOTD to that thing with Timbaland?
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • I'm convinced that this TOTD Chris is not the same Chris that worked with Timbaland. The real Chris must have died years ago and was replaced by a fake one (maybe a robot) with no talent whatsoever. I mean, it's the only explanation! How can someone come from TOTD to that thing with Timbaland?

Hehe, I like the idea of a robot. Programmed with heat-seeking radar so he know what's hot and what's not. And they deliberately left out any sense of professional pride or dignity. :(
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I'm convinced that this TOTD Chris is not the same Chris that worked with Timbaland. The real Chris must have died years ago and was replaced by a fake one (maybe a robot) with no talent whatsoever. I mean, it's the only explanation! How can someone come from TOTD to that thing with Timbaland?
    i love all the hate surrounding his upcoming album because of timbaland... its as if people think the man has co-writing credit or is scratching turntables behind chris... i bet alot of people thought rick rubin (primarily a hip-hop producer) was a bad fit for audioslave too and that album fuckin rocks! what it comes down to is chris is gonna write the music he wants and feels compelled to write and timbaland is only responsible for refining that sound... its definitely not gonna be as raw as early SG stuff but the guys a talented producer and i bet its gonna be a pretty solid album

back to TOTD chris... gotta agree its his strongest stuff ever! wasnt much of it layed out by chris by himself tho? itd make sense that his voice comes out strongest in the mix... while stone and jeff do some amazing stuff on that album i think they were included because chris knew they were mourning as well and would approach the project with the right respect and energy... basically solo chris with a VERY talented backing band :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Yeah I was having a little session on my cans last night, had a couple of bottles of red(started on a third but passed out in my chair) played the accoustic Mansfield 03 disc, followed by Temple and then had Mad Season on, I passed out sometime during the MS disc and woke up a few hours later, headphones still on, daylight coming through the window.:)

But yeah such a powerful record, awesome stuff, I dont think I dare listen to this new song, I digged on most the Audioslave stuff, but YKMN really hampered my whole perspective of Carry On.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Ah yes, TOTD, the very best 'vocal' album ever made.
    Yeah I was having a little session on my cans last night, had a couple of bottles of red(started on a third but passed out in my chair) played the accoustic Mansfield 03 disc, followed by Temple and then had Mad Season on, I passed out sometime during the MS disc and woke up a few hours later, headphones still on, daylight coming through the window.:)

But yeah such a powerful record, awesome stuff, I dont think I dare listen to this new song, I digged on most the Audioslave stuff, but YKMN really hampered my whole perspective of Carry On.

well imo, YKMN was a weak song.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    well imo, YKMN was a weak song.

It's commercial diatribe and it was a pure marketing ploy to not include the song on the films ost, but place it on the Cornell album.
    It really has dented my current interest in Cornell's present work it ruined Carry On for me, although I'm interested to hear the new album and sound.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Temple is a decent album 5 or 6 good songs, but it doesn't come anywhere close to his best work with Soundgarden or Audioslave. I much prefer how his voice sounds today. There may not be as much jaw dropping vocal range, but there's much more depth and color. That said, Temple is important because it was the first album where Chris was a real singer and not a heavy metal wailer.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    It's commercial diatribe and it was a pure marketing ploy to not include the song on the films ost, but place it on the Cornell album.
    It really has dented my current interest in Cornell's present work it ruined Carry On for me, although I'm interested to hear the new album and sound.

It's not a bad song.
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    i bet alot of people thought rick rubin (primarily a hip-hop producer)

On a side note, I've always just found this statement funny...Rubin began his career producing for LL, Beasties and Run DMC, and became well known for his landmark productions in the rap world, however, a quick look at his 23-year resume indicates that he's primarily NOT a hip-hop producer.

1985: Radio – LL Cool J
    1986: Licensed to Ill – Beastie Boys
    1986: Raising Hell – Run-DMC
    1986: Reign in Blood – Slayer
    1987: Electric – The Cult
    1987: Yo! Bum Rush the Show - Public Enemy
    1988: Danzig – Danzig
    1988: Tougher Than Leather – Run-DMC
    1988: South of Heaven – Slayer
    1988: Masters of Reality – Masters of Reality
    1989: Dice – Andrew Dice Clay
    1989: Live Fast, Die Fast – Wolfsbane
    1990: Same – Geto Boys
    1990: Trouble – Trouble
    1990: Danzig II: Lucifuge – Danzig
    1990: Seasons in the Abyss – Slayer
    1991: Nobody Said It Was Easy – The Four Horsemen
    1991: Manic Frustration – Trouble
    1991: Decade of Aggression – Slayer
    1991: Blood Sugar Sex Magik – Red Hot Chili Peppers
    1992: Danzig III: How the Gods Kill – Danzig
    1992: King King – Red Devils
    1993: Thrall: Demonsweatlive – Danzig
    1993: Wandering Spirit – Mick Jagger
    1993: 21st Century Jesus – Messiah
    1994: Danzig 4 – Danzig
    1994: American Recordings – Johnny Cash
    1994: Divine Intervention – Slayer
    1994: Wildflowers – Tom Petty
    1995: One Hot Minute – Red Hot Chili Peppers
    1995: Ballbreaker – AC/DC
    1995: God Lives Underwater – God Lives Underwater
    1995: Empty – God Lives Underwater
    1996: Songs and Music from "She's the One" – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    1996: Unchained – Johnny Cash
    1996: Undisputed Attitude – Slayer
    1996: Don't Call me Barry – Hermann and the Hermits
    1996: Sutras – Donovan
    1998: "Let Me Give the World to You" – The Smashing Pumpkins (an unreleased song)
    1998: VH1 Storytellers – Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson
    1998: Diabolus in Musica – Slayer
    1998: Car Wheels on a Gravel Road – Lucinda Williams (mix only)
    1998: System of a Down – System of a Down
    1998: Peasants, Pigs & Astronauts – Kula Shaker ("Sound of Drums")
    1998: Chef Aid: The South Park Album – South Park
    1999: Northern Star – Melanie C ("Suddenly Monday" and "Ga Ga")
    1999: Californication – Red Hot Chili Peppers
    1999: Echo – Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
    1999: Loud Rocks – V/A ("Shame" by System of a Down and Wu-Tang Clan, "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nothing Ta Fuck Wit" Tom Morello, Chad Smith and Wu-Tang Clan)
    1999: The Globe Sessions – Sheryl Crow ("Sweet Child O'Mine")
    2000: American III: Solitary Man – Johnny Cash
    2000: Paloalto – Paloalto
    2000: Renegades – Rage Against the Machine
    2001: Amethyst Rock Star – Saul Williams
    2001: The War of Art – American Head Charge
    2001: Breath of the Heart – Krishna Das
    2001: The Final Studio Recordings – Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
    2001: Toxicity – System of a Down
    2002: American IV: The Man Comes Around – Johnny Cash
    2002: By the Way – Red Hot Chili Peppers
    2002: Audioslave – Audioslave
    2002: Steal This Album! – System of a Down
    2003: Results May Vary – Limp Bizkit (with Terry Date and Jordan Schur)
    2003: Unearthed – Johnny Cash
    2003: Door of Faith – Krishna Das
    2003: De-Loused in the Comatorium – The Mars Volta (with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez)
    2003: The Black Album – Jay-Z ("99 Problems")
    2003: Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium – Rage Against the Machine
    2003: Heroes and Villains – Paloalto
    2004: Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) – Slipknot
    2004: Armed Love – The (International) Noise Conspiracy
    2004: Crunk Juice – Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz ("Stop Fuckin' Wit Me")
    2005: Make Believe – Weezer
    2005: Fijación Oral Vol. 1 – Shakira
    2005: Oral Fixation Vol. 2 – Shakira
    2005: Out of Exile – Audioslave
    2005: Mezmerize – System of a Down
    2005: Hypnotize – System of a Down
    2005: 12 Songs – Neil Diamond
    2006: Stadium Arcadium – Red Hot Chili Peppers
    2006: Taking the Long Way – Dixie Chicks
    2006: American V: A Hundred Highways – Johnny Cash
    2006: FutureSex/LoveSounds – Justin Timberlake ("(Another Song) All Over Again")
    2006: The Saints are Coming – U2 and Green Day (single)
    2006: Window in the Skies – U2 (single)
    2007: American VI – Johnny Cash
    2007: Heroes and Thieves – Vanessa Carlton (with Irv Gotti, 7 Aurelius and Stephan Jenkins)
    2007: Luna Halo – Luna Halo
    2007: Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy – Ours
    2007: "Better Than I've Ever Been" – Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One (single)
    2007: Minutes to Midnight – Linkin Park
    2007: Free Life – Dan Wilson
    2007: Ordo Ad Chao – Mayhem
    2008: The Cross of My Calling – The (International) Noise Conspiracy
    2008: Weezer – Weezer
    2008: Scars on Broadway – Scars on Broadway
    2008: Home Before Dark – Neil Diamond
    2008: Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy - Ours
    2008: Seeing Things – Jakob Dylan
    2008: Metallica's ninth studio album – Metallica
    2008: Slayer's Tenth Studio Album – Slayer
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Oh, but back to the point of this thread - Chris' voice on TOTD is amazing. This is an album I've always loved, but many of the songs have really continued to impress me more and more over the years.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    pjny wrote:
    On a side note, I've always just found this statement funny...Rubin began his career producing for LL, Beasties and Run DMC, and became well known for his landmark productions in the rap world, however, a quick look at his 23-year resume indicates that he's primarily NOT a hip-hop producer.
    sorry i shouldve put it differently... at the point of his career that timbaland is currently at he wouldve been seen as more of a hip-hop guy just as timbaland currently is... rubins is proof that you can break out of the reputation by working with the right bands... hopefully chris can do the same for timbaland

and thanks for posting that list... theres definitely alot on there i was unaware of
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    TOTD stands head and shoulders above anything by Soundgarden in terms of Cornell's vocals for me. I like Soundgarden but sometimes the banshee wails were annoying. On TOTD they worked. The high-pitched vocals near the end of Say Hello 2 Heaven are breathtaking. He has never come close to matching it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The high-pitched vocals near the end of Say Hello 2 Heaven are breathtaking. He has never come close to matching it.

Yeah that finale is absolutely jaw-dropping - seeing him do that live was one of the best live musical experiences I've ever had.
  • One of the best albums of all time. Say Hello 2 Heaven is one of the most emotional songs ever written and recorded. Seeing it, as well as Hunger Strike, live has been incredible. Thank you Chris for playing material from one of the best albums of your career.
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I don't think Chris's voice on TOTD is emotionally the best ever... no!
    Ed put more emotions in ANY of His songs!
    But... TOTD is, as I said on the other thread (as You all remind - new music of Chris Cornell), is better than Ten to me, because is perfect!
    Chris did the best work ever, I can feel He controled His voice all the time, and The Band, wow!, I wish the guitars could be soooo f***ing "hearable" in any of PJ albums!
    Ok. Now, I'm calm...
    Shortly- I love the album, I wish They will do such of this thing again.
    But anyway... from this album started my journey with Pearl Jam, so...thank You, Chris:)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
    halszka123 wrote:
    I don't think Chris's voice on TOTD is emotionally the best ever... no!
    Ed put more emotions in ANY of His songs!

How could Chris put any more emotion into singing about his dead friend at the end of Say Hello 2 Heaven? If you don't feel his pain there, I can only presume you've never lost a loved one.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    His vocals on TOTD and BadMotorFinger are his finest moments I reckon, though if pushed I'd take the former.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    TOTD stands head and shoulders above anything by Soundgarden in terms of Cornell's vocals for me. I like Soundgarden but sometimes the banshee wails were annoying. On TOTD they worked. The high-pitched vocals near the end of Say Hello 2 Heaven are breathtaking. He has never come close to matching it.

I realy disagree. Maybe because he worked with what was essentially PJ on this album it gets so much attention around here, in addition to the fact his vocals sit above a lot of the instuments in the mix on TOTD. Personally I think his best singing was Superunknown, because there was less of the wailing and more of the soul power. It really showed the versatility in his voice from the out and out power of 'My wave' to the more technical efforts like 'fell on black days' but you still have banshee Cornell on the title track. You just have to listen a bit more on that album, because the guitars and drums have a much more obvious presence on that (and any SG album) than on say TOTD.