I hate to do this, but...Candlebox...

stargoddess81stargoddess81 Posts: 23
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I've been a die-hard Pearl Jam fan for the past 11 years (when I was 13-14). Any time someone would bitch about them, I would back them up and get into arguments, giving my reasoning for why they do the things they do. Although I do like some of the songs that are on the new album, I just don't think it has the pizazz of their previous ones; I don't get goosebumps when I listen to it, like I do when I listen to some of their previous songs. Something that kind of ticked me off with this tour was that they always hit St. Louis and/or Kansas City (I live between the two). This tour, they aren't.
ANYWAY, I get to go to one concert per year (hubby doesn't like it lol), so since PJ wasn't coming anywhere near us, I opted to see Candlebox. They played at a small venue near me. They've been split up since their Happy Pills album came out, and are trying to make a come-back, so they are touring like crazy this summer. The whole band was very energetic. You could TELL that they <i>wanted</i> to be there and put on a good show. After the show, they stayed around talking to fans, autographing stuff, etc. I got a pick from the guitarist, got all of them to autograph a cd insert for me, and got my picture taken with the whole band.
I realize that PJ likes to keep their private lives separate and not invaded. But would it really hurt them to just mingle a little bit? After the last PJ concert I went to, I sat outside for over an hour, just hoping for a handshake or something, and Ed just walked out, head down, and made a bee line to their van, with the people who did stay after stuck behind a fence. I really do have a new-found respect for Candlebox; they showed me that they really appreciate their fans by what they did...Hell, Kevin (vocals), and Peter (guitar) even get on their webpage's message boards.
Okay, beat me up now :)
"I don't need drugs; life is tragic enough."
"If you love someone, let them go...if someone loves you, don't fuck up."

~Julie
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    But you can't put these 2 bands on the same level man. I've mingled with many a band in a small venue but once you become a band that has as many die-hard fans as PJ you really can't pull off the mingle anymore. Say you are Ed and make someones day at a show by sticking around and shaking hands and getting a picture. The more times you do this the more word spreads and the more it becomes expected "if you just wait around you can take up Ed's time". What would Ed do if 500 people or more would just wait around after shows and all expect some time, autographs or pics with their favorite frontman? He'd ultimately end up disapoiting more people than he could possibly please. The band shows their appreciation for their fans in other ways such as our fanclub benefits not to mention playing as long as they want despite being fined thousands of $'s out of their own pocket.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I am also a fan of Candlebox but as the previous poster stated, they are not in the same league.

Pearl Jam sells out arenas and Candlebox can barely sell out a small club.

If Ed and the crew were to devote as much time to each and every fan as Candlebox does he would never make it home.

Pearl Jam puts on a great show but in the end they are rock stars; after the show I go my way and they go theres.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • I'm not trying to say that PJ should do the exact same as Candlebox...I know that takes time, and with as many fans as PJ has, it would be unrealistic...<b>but</b>, using Smashing Pumpkins (when they were at their height), as a better example, similar sized venue as what PJ usually plays, D'arcy and James did come out after the show; no autographs, but the experience of at least kind of meeting them was there. Would it really kill PJ just to walk a few feet closer to the gates on their way to their busses, and say hey, how's it goin'?

~Julie
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Not touring the south is bullshit. I don't care what their reason is if they lose fans becasue of it they deserve it. Being in atlanta i'm upset about not being able to catch my favorite band on ther "world" tour.

Too band the new album did nto do it for you. I thought it was pretty good. Espcially songs like unemployable, severed hand, marker, man i really like them all except inside job and big wave i just think are okay.

It is kind of hard for the guys from pj to meet the fans etc becasue of their size. I have a buddy going ot see candlebox and he is really excited i only enjoyedtheir one album with all of their popular songs on it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I've met Ed and Stone. They both mingled with the crowd when I met them. They couldn't have been nicer. And Candlebox...I mean...they just aren't that good..there I said it.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    jejeje candlebox, i like many songs of them, but no more.......
  • You catch any of the guys at a bar or somewhere after a show or walking down a street and each one of them will talk your head off.

Except Matt.. no one ever really meets him alone for some reason...

I've heard people say that Stone is so friendly and talkative that they've walked away from him (when in large groups.. i think that specific story was from the chicago cab soundtrack release party - if that's the right name of the movie).

By the way, I've gotten more chills from the latest years of live performances and the new album than i can remember.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I have met Mike before and he mingled with fans for well over a half hour. maybe they were having a bad day or something. get over it!
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    im seeing them at the showbox in september. im excited. im really only into their first album. not so much Lucy or Happy Pills.

He Calls Home
    Arrow
    and Rain

are my favs.
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    yay!!! I'm going to see Candlebox in a couple of weeks in Atlanta. I really hope that I get to meet the guys. I think they are very underrated. Should be a good show!!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • cookie5798 wrote:
    yay!!! I'm going to see Candlebox in a couple of weeks in Atlanta. I really hope that I get to meet the guys. I think they are very underrated. Should be a good show!!
    From what I've read, all of their shows have kicked ass...just as long as you stick around after the show is over, they will be there :)

~Julie
  • the thing is...we get a lot more opportunities to "see" PJ anyway...
    Letterman, storytellers, etc... all the boots.

Candlebox and smaller bands need to try and network themselves on that level, build it that way.

PJ doesn't need to do it personally anymore...

I think that's a part of it.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • i love candlebox. i wish they would hit the uk on their comeback tour.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • I've been a die-hard Pearl Jam fan for the past 11 years (when I was 13-14). Any time someone would bitch about them, I would back them up and get into arguments, giving my reasoning for why they do the things they do. Although I do like some of the songs that are on the new album, I just don't think it has the pizazz of their previous ones; I don't get goosebumps when I listen to it, like I do when I listen to some of their previous songs. Something that kind of ticked me off with this tour was that they always hit St. Louis and/or Kansas City (I live between the two). This tour, they aren't.
    ANYWAY, I get to go to one concert per year (hubby doesn't like it lol), so since PJ wasn't coming anywhere near us, I opted to see Candlebox. They played at a small venue near me. They've been split up since their Happy Pills album came out, and are trying to make a come-back, so they are touring like crazy this summer. The whole band was very energetic. You could TELL that they <i>wanted</i> to be there and put on a good show. After the show, they stayed around talking to fans, autographing stuff, etc. I got a pick from the guitarist, got all of them to autograph a cd insert for me, and got my picture taken with the whole band.
    I realize that PJ likes to keep their private lives separate and not invaded. But would it really hurt them to just mingle a little bit? After the last PJ concert I went to, I sat outside for over an hour, just hoping for a handshake or something, and Ed just walked out, head down, and made a bee line to their van, with the people who did stay after stuck behind a fence. I really do have a new-found respect for Candlebox; they showed me that they really appreciate their fans by what they did...Hell, Kevin (vocals), and Peter (guitar) even get on their webpage's message boards.
    Okay, beat me up now :)

i've always liked candlebox,have some on the mp3player right now, Live is a good band to see in concert too, he will hang around and hug you and sign autographs etc. in pearl jam's defense ,they are just WAY too big, tho i have read threads where people have met eddie,im sure that not every show goes that way,probably just too weary or exhausted. where was candlebox at? i am not too far away from kc at the moment,didnt see it lol
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I have read countless stories of PJ fans meeting all the band members....and they have all at one point or another all stopped and talked to fans and taken pictureds with fans and signed autographs....Ed included.

Ed has also told stories of riding his bike through parking lots before gigs and stopped to talk to fans and have a beer with them. He said he would always have the bike for a quick get away in case it got out of hand.

Edit: I should also add that Candlebox's first record was just a fantastic piece of work! That year I saw them like 4 times in concert....they were at every show, I swear!! :D
  • This thread makes me happy...its good to know that not everyone here hates candlebox for what seems like no reason at all...people call them posers or whatever but they really aren't....but there is just so much hate I don't understand it

Its just ironic because I know Kevin Martin personally...and he looks up the guys from pearl jam/mother love bone a lot.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    cookie5798 wrote:

yeah im going to see them here in St. Louis and im really looking foward to it since i never got to see them "at the height" of their career

from what ive read they have been putting on a good show so it should be cool
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    I have read countless stories of PJ fans meeting all the band members....and they have all at one point or another all stopped and talked to fans and taken pictureds with fans and signed autographs....Ed included.

Ed has also told stories of riding his bike through parking lots before gigs and stopped to talk to fans and have a beer with them. He said he would always have the bike for a quick get away in case it got out of hand.

Edit: I should also add that Candlebox's first record was just a fantastic piece of work! That year I saw them like 4 times in concert....they were at every show, I swear!! :D

yeah i remember when candlebox's first c.d. came out i was reading an interview with kevin martin and one of his inspirations was Pearl Jam.
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • i've always liked candlebox,have some on the mp3player right now, Live is a good band to see in concert too, he will hang around and hug you and sign autographs etc. in pearl jam's defense ,they are just WAY too big, tho i have read threads where people have met eddie,im sure that not every show goes that way,probably just too weary or exhausted. where was candlebox at? i am not too far away from kc at the moment,didnt see it lol
    They started their tour in St. Louis, then July 10 they were at the Blue Note in Columbia. They will also be at The Beaumont on 9/9/06 in KC.

~Julie
  • the thing is...we get a lot more opportunities to "see" PJ anyway...
    Letterman, storytellers, etc... all the boots.

Candlebox and smaller bands need to try and network themselves on that level, build it that way.

PJ doesn't need to do it personally anymore...

I think that's a part of it.

Just a side note on the boots, if you go to Cbox's webpage, there is a whole multitude of people (myself included) willing to send out their boots for free (or you can download them). Candlebox lets people bring in recording equipment and cameras...they will even let you plug into their sound system, just as long as you don't try to make a profit off of what you record.

~Julie
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Just a side note on the boots, if you go to Cbox's webpage, there is a whole multitude of people (myself included) willing to send out their boots for free (or you can download them). Candlebox lets people bring in recording equipment and cameras...they will even let you plug into their sound system, just as long as you don't try to make a profit off of what you record.

That is very cool.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • heallvenheallven Posts: 68
    Candlebox were the nicest guys I have met, I remember them playing a small outside gig in seattle back in 98', then a few days later an accoustic session at Tower records for the release of Happy Pills, I was very impressed by the patience and kindness, really great guys!
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396

I would definately be interested in some boots, can you give me a link or something?
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • i seen candlebox open for rush in buffalo in like 95 or 96 and the fucker just would not stop talking about the four straight superbowl loses and they were booed off the stage by the 500 or so people that were there...needless to say i hate them immensely
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    I would love to see Candlebox...I'll have to look that up!!

As for mingling with PJ, I guess you've got to be at the right place at the right time!!!:rolleyes:
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • cookie5798 wrote:
    I would definately be interested in some boots, can you give me a link or something?

check out the news story dated 8.20.06:
    http://www.candleboxrocks.com/quick_news.php
    www.candleboxrocks.com
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Is Dave Krusen still playing drums in Candlebox? I hope those guys come to Dallas soon, I'd love to see them. In a recent poll for best grunge singer I gave Kevin Martin 2nd place behind Ed. Kevin has a great voice, and I think only one other person agreed with me.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • no, scott mercado is back on drums....they'll be in texas very soon. go here for dates:

http://www.candleboxrocks.com/quick_tour.php
    www.candleboxrocks.com
  • You're right, I seen Candlebox a hand full of times on thier first tour and they played this small venue in Louisville called Headliners. Thei bus was parked beside the building in the parking lot and they came out and just hung out and signed stuff. A couple of my friends even went on the bus with them for a while. I still don't know what happened on that bus.
    -Jeremy
  • i seen candlebox open for rush in buffalo in like 95 or 96 and the fucker just would not stop talking about the four straight superbowl loses and they were booed off the stage by the 500 or so people that were there...needless to say i hate them immensely

A person needs not be defined by one singular moment.
    -Jeremy