Is "Man in the Box" the best grunge song?

bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,843
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I submit that it is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• No
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I wouldn't say it's the best grunge song ever, but it's certainly a very good AIC song :)

I always listen to it when I'm getting ready to go out, gets me livened up!
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    nope
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,843
    The song has it all. Everything. It is easily the best in my opinion.
  • nope and I love how you picked the cheesiest AiC single as well. Could you have picked out a even more well known AiC A-side like no surprises, again, them bones, I stay away, or down in a hole (the list goes on). AiC is the best of the seattle bands, but ask any douchey person and they will go with the cheesiest single of the era "smells like teen spirit"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    nope and I love how you picked the cheesiest AiC single as well. Could you have picked out a even more well known AiC A-side like no surprises, again, them bones, I stay away, or down in a hole (the list goes on). AiC is the best of the seattle bands, but ask any douchey person and they will go with the cheesiest single of the era "smells like teen spirit"

Yes, because if a song is popular, it's automatically terrible. :rolleyes:

Seriously... "douchey"? You sir, are a moron.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    AiC is the best of the seattle bands

Ummm.....I think not
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • nope and I love how you picked the cheesiest AiC single as well. Could you have picked out a even more well known AiC A-side like no surprises, again, them bones, I stay away, or down in a hole (the list goes on). AiC is the best of the seattle bands, but ask any douchey person and they will go with the cheesiest single of the era "smells like teen spirit"

Smells Like Teen Spirit is actually a brilliant song if you pulled your head out of your ass to actually listen to it and not be caught up in the fact that it was on the radio every 5 minutes back in 91-92. I got just as sick of it as everyone, but it's still a great song.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • soundgarden-superunknown best grunge song hands down
    man in the box is one of my favs. though.....
    "oh please........
    let it ran today
    this city is so filthy
    like my mind in ways....."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,843
    nope and I love how you picked the cheesiest AiC single as well. Could you have picked out a even more well known AiC A-side like no surprises, again, them bones, I stay away, or down in a hole (the list goes on). AiC is the best of the seattle bands, but ask any douchey person and they will go with the cheesiest single of the era "smells like teen spirit"

You mean Alice and Chains recorded other songs beside MITB? This is news to me!

Alice in Chains was the most talented of the Seattle bands, and probably had the best production on their albums.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    It is the best grunge song.

....on Facelift ;)
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    The best grunge song is

TOUCH ME I'M SICK.

Actually I just love that song.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    SLH916 wrote:
    The best grunge song is

TOUCH ME I'M SICK.

You beat me to it.
    the seminal "grunge" song
    and I'll throw an honorable mention to School, Rusty Cage, and Suck You Dry
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    The best grunge song is

TOUCH ME I'M SICK.

Citizen Dick's version was better.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Citizen Dick's version was better.

yeah, because it had the double meaning working for it...

actually, there is no "best" grunge song ever. but if i had to vote, i'd choose call me a dog.

ask me again in five minutes and i'll vote for something different...
  • yeah, because it had the double meaning working for it...

actually, there is no "best" grunge song ever. but if i had to vote, i'd choose call me a dog.

ask me again in five minutes and i'll vote for something different...

It's huge in Belgium.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Overblown - Mudhoney....sums it all up ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    Smells Like Teen Spirit and Jeremy
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Todd76 wrote:
    Overblown - Mudhoney....sums it all up ;)
    damn right.

my vote however goes to Them Bones or Rusty Cage. Having said, Man in the box is fucking brilliant and has one of the most beautifully simple riffs and one of the most amazing choruses ever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You mean Alice and Chains recorded other songs beside MITB? This is news to me!

Alice in Chains was the most talented of the Seattle bands, and probably had the best production on their albums.

More talented how? As much as I love Jerry Cantrell's work, Kim Thayil, McCready and Stone Gossard are all easily on par with him if not better (on a technical basis).
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    SLH916 wrote:
    The best grunge song is

TOUCH ME I'M SICK.

Yeah mudhoney really are the definition of 'grunge'.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • NO! My vote would be flower by SG.
  • illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    No, no, no...you are all wrong. It's 100% by Sonic Youth.
  • I remember some time in the late nineties, the nation wide rock station, Z-rock played the supposed "100 best songs of hard rock" and number one was in fact MAN IN THE BOX.

Impossible to have a best grunge song, but this one is kinda perfect, ya know?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    you got the right band down in AIC, but the song that is best grunge to me by them is Would?

i actually think if Layne wouldnt have died they could have been right up there with Pearl Jam, they had a sound that could have lasted generations
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I think Would? is a great pick for best grunge song but Alice in Chains had no chance of being on Pearl Jam's level because they stopped touring. It didn't seem like they even wanted to be in a band together anymore.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • DOSW wrote:
    Yes, because if a song is popular, it's automatically terrible. :rolleyes:

Seriously... "douchey"? You sir, are a moron.
    No, Man in a Box is a bit of cliche in every sense. Vocals, lyrics, the wah ridden lead riff, etc. I like the groove of the song and love the chorus but lets be honest here.

"Would?" might indeed be the best though.. that songs gives me chills.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I submit that it is.

i submit that it isn't. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    "Go" is the best grunge song, IMO. You couldn't ask for a better lead-off song.
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    was the first grunge song i heard.

it made me like grunge.

so therefore. it is the best one ever
    its ok