After seeing Chris Cornell last night......

2»

Comments

• JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    and thats why the songs were empty...its like seeing Daltrey sing Who songs sans Pete!

um...no.

Pete wrote and arranged just about all of the Who's catalog.

I think that you might have been expecting too much from the backing band.

focus on the vocals when seeing Cornell perform live and he will amaze you - unless, of course you don't want to be amazed...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • I was going to say Chris Cornell is my favourite singer in the world but I've lost touch with music a lot lately. I've gotten really lazy.

He was my favourite but as far as Soundgarden are concerned, I love Matt and Kim just as much. I will throw Ben in there too just be polite and because he went through that funny period of wearing leather pants.

I'm not sure what my point is... lol
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Pac Amp

that was an awesome show, he sang sun shower!!!
    he even took off his shirt, do you know rare that is.
    so y didn't you like it?
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    um...no.

Pete wrote and arranged just about all of the Who's catalog.

I think that you might have been expecting too much from the backing band.

focus on the vocals when seeing Cornell perform live and he will amaze you - unless, of course you don't want to be amazed...

Oh, believe you me, my friend, I am ALWAYS looking to be amazed!
    :)
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Oh, believe you me, my friend, I am ALWAYS looking to be amazed!
    :)

Well - then I uhhh, I don't understand?? His voice was ON FIRE at PacA...the band is adequate, but since we cant relive SG - I think it is more than appropriate for Cornell to play his songs...his scream alone is worth admission price.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Well - then I uhhh, I don't understand?? His voice was ON FIRE at PacA...the band is adequate, but since we cant relive SG - I think it is more than appropriate for Cornell to play his songs...his scream alone is worth admission price.

I guess there was just too big of a difference btw soundgarden and his new band.....not a knock on the new band...they had big shoes and sandals to fill!
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I guess there was just too big of a difference btw soundgarden and his new band.....not a knock on the new band...they had big shoes and sandals to fill!

yeah - it can be a little painful to see the drummer tryin' for some Matt-solos but he has gotten stronger. When I first saw them (the avalon I think...maybe before that) it was not good...but now they are better - they are what they are: a backing band.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I was going to say Chris Cornell is my favourite singer in the world but I've lost touch with music a lot lately. I've gotten really lazy.

He was my favourite but as far as Soundgarden are concerned, I love Matt and Kim just as much. I will throw Ben in there too just be polite and because he went through that funny period of wearing leather pants.

I'm not sure what my point is... lol
    No worries. Pointless rambling is always appreciated.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • dharma69 wrote:
    No worries. Pointless rambling is always appreciated.

goooood.

I'm not very good at expressing myself.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    yeah - it can be a little painful to see the drummer tryin' for some Matt-solos but he has gotten stronger. When I first saw them (the avalon I think...maybe before that) it was not good...but now they are better - they are what they are: a backing band.
    Jason the drummer had two solos Sunday night...that's new. And probably indicative of the fact that he's holding his own nicely.

Because he holding his own nicely. And he's also doing it shirtless. I think it's a trend.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    That was the 5th time I saw Cornell this year. I thought it was a pretty good gig... too bad there are noise restrictions placed upon the venue by the surrounding residence, but, it was still a good show.
    I think it was great that the guitar techs actually got to play on stage at the end. It was the last show of this leg and they're going to take a break.
    It also helps having a great seat.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    He gave it a good shot but honestly.. I don't think Chris would mind if everyone just said "nice try, but please don't rap again" :p

Dude, that was no more rapping than Drawing Flies was - it was just faster singing, which Cornell doesn't do so much so it sounded different, some of the screams he got in there were great though. Of course it wasn't going to match the original, but as covers of Sleep Now In The Fire go, I think it was a very respectable cover.

In all honesty I think they should have left the RATM songs alone because Zack's all out anger and passion in what he's singing, is what gives the band their real identity - and I don't think any singer or rapper could match him there.