After seeing Chris Cornell last night......

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I now realize how lame it is for singers who were not the totally dominant member of their former bands to perform songs by said band.

The other members of S-Garden and A-Slave played such a big role in those bands, so the versions that Cornell performed seemed very empty and spineless.

Perhaps I wasn't in the mood to see him (I have trouble saying no to free tix), and the fact that he didn't come on until an hour after the opener finished didn't help matters, but damn, what a lame show!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'd lay odds that Cornell wrote the majority of the Soundgarden songs he sang... Audioslave I'm not so sure.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I'd lay odds that Cornell wrote the majority of the Soundgarden songs he sang... Audioslave I'm not so sure.

He may have written them, but Kim, Matt and Ben all seemed just as important as him.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think Chris's backing band is doing a fantastic job. I've never seen SG or AS live though, so I can't compare.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    I think Chris's backing band is doing a fantastic job. I've never seen SG or AS live though, so I can't compare.

They were a great band, but as I said, it's always weird to see new people perform the "standards".
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    He may have written them, but Kim, Matt and Ben all seemed just as important as him.

I respect that. But failing a Soundgarden reunion, I'm all for Chris singing certain Soundgarden songs with his own band. I just don't think the songs should necessarily die with the band, I guess.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    I respect that. But failing a Soundgarden reunion, I'm all for Chris singing certain Soundgarden songs with his own band. I just don't think the songs should necessarily die with the band, I guess.

I agree they shouldn't die, but damn, they sounded empty!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Come on........we can't have a Cornell thread without a street team reference on this board. ;)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    i seen him last month and it was one of the best concerts i have ever seen
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I agree they shouldn't die, but damn, they sounded empty!
    Good grief...I thought last night's "Slaves & Bulldozers" (with a touch of "Free Bird") sounded anything but empty.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I now realize how lame it is for singers who were not the totally dominant member of their former bands to perform songs by said band.

The other members of S-Garden and A-Slave played such a big role in those bands, so the versions that Cornell performed seemed very empty and spineless.

Perhaps I wasn't in the mood to see him (I have trouble saying no to free tix), and the fact that he didn't come on until an hour after the opener finished didn't help matters, but damn, what a lame show!
    Yeah, bitch all you want, but I bet he was wearing some sweet designer jeans!
    pjtaper wrote:

some grudges never die!
    :)

His jeans were very slim....totally "heroin chic" look!
    pjtaper wrote:
    You know I think that he was. And they must be new because he had a hard time keeping them up on his ass.

Did I see what I thought I saw? Yes. Yes, I did.

Not that I'm complaining ;).

FaceSpace
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    dharma69 wrote:
    You know I think that he was. And they must be new because he had a hard time keeping them up on his ass.

Did I see what I thought I saw? Yes. Yes, I did.

Not that I'm complaining ;).

Well, did you at least take any pictures? :D
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Well, did you at least take any pictures? :D
    Yes, ma'am, I took a few.

But sometimes video is better ;) .

Cornell = Free Bird

The video's not mine (as I was a lot closer to the stage) but it gets the job done!

FaceSpace
  • I thought it was an amazing show when I saw Chris at Hyde Park... Granted, it does sound 'different' to his original bands... but it's no doubt going to. Every musician has their own personality...

... but to me, Soundgarden songs + heavy + LOUD = GOOD TIMES! :D

(I wished he'd played Say Hello 2 Heaven though!!)
  • I hear what you're saying (and I agree) but despite how shitty and substanceless his new album is, I actually like his backing band.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Freebird?

did he do wht i think he did?

sweeeeeet.

sorry you didnt enjoy it. but heres a newsflash. a solo chris cornell show isnt a soundgarden or an audioslave show. the band play their versions, which you either like or you dont. im sure cornell was singing his heart out regardless.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    They were a great band, but as I said, it's always weird to see new people perform the "standards".

I've seen Soundgarden, Audioslave and Cornell solo, and his current band give it 100%. I think it's more a psychological block in your mind. If a band is technically capable of playing the songs, and puts in the effort, it really doesn't make any difference. It's just the way we choose to perceive it.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I don't think it takes a genius to realize that he was the main composer in both Soundgarden and Audioslave - You can hear it in the melodies.

I've got no problem whatsover with him performing these songs
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • go to "sessions" at aol.com...look up audioslave, watch them cover sleep now in the fire

i was literally in shock at how bad it is. im not that familiar with cornell but its the most half-assed 'singing' of a song ive ever heard. i know its not his song, but jesus all he has to do is rap the verse and then scream HEY, HEY...SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE...and it sounds like shit
    Any new realizations would have to wait until he had more time. More time.
  • go to "sessions" at aol.com...look up audioslave, watch them cover sleep now in the fire

i was literally in shock at how bad it is. im not that familiar with cornell but its the most half-assed 'singing' of a song ive ever heard. i know its not his song, but jesus all he has to do is rap the verse and then scream HEY, HEY...SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE...and it sounds like shit
    audioslave playing soundgarden... not bad.

audioslave playing RATM... horrible.

"Make our day"
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    DOSW wrote:

I agree. They have great chemistry together. I just saw CC on Sunday and the show was amazing.....of course. :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "i was literally in shock at how bad it is. im not that familiar with cornell but its the most half-assed 'singing' of a song ive ever heard. i know its not his song, but jesus all he has to do is rap the verse and then scream HEY, HEY...SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE...and it sounds like shit"

Give some credit to Zack De La Rocha, rapping can be very hard and is often dismissed. I'm talking about real rapping here, not 50 Cent or any of that garbage.

I agree though, Cornell sounded awful. However, I'm not too fond of De La Rocha trying to sing "Beautiful World" on the Renegades album. So the way I see it, Cornell is a great singer and an awful rapper. De La Rocha is a great rapper and a bad singer. Although I've rarely ever seen De La Rocha sing so who knows.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    go to "sessions" at aol.com...look up audioslave, watch them cover sleep now in the fire

I thought the version on the free cd that came with Live in Cuba was just fine - and having seen them do it a few times in concert he did fairly well, considering his style is WAY different to Zack's - I can't imagine many singers being able to pull that song off (or any rage songs for that matter) .
  • I thought the version on the free cd that came with Live in Cuba was just fine - and having seen them do it a few times in concert he did fairly well, considering his style is WAY different to Zack's - I can't imagine many singers being able to pull that song off (or any rage songs for that matter) .
    He gave it a good shot but honestly.. I don't think Chris would mind if everyone just said "nice try, but please don't rap again" :p

"Make our day"
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

which show did you see?
    the vejas, or the pacific amphitheater
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
    which show did you see?
    the vejas, or the pacific amphitheater

Pac Amp
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Of course they were AS important as him. That's like saying Eddie is the most important in Pearl Jam.

What's Kim Thayil doing nowadays? I had so much respect for him.
  • Of course they were AS important as him. That's like saying Eddie is the most important in Pearl Jam.

Soundgarden would've been nothing without Cameron and Thayil... maybe Shepard could go, but probably not.

"Make our day"
    Of course they were AS important as him. That's like saying Eddie is the most important in Pearl Jam.

and thats why the songs were empty...its like seeing Daltrey sing Who songs sans Pete!