Options

chicks of rock

PearlJamminJasonPearlJamminJason Posts: 106
edited April 2006 in Other Music
i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some chick rockers that have album worth buying? like the donnas or something are they any good?
6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Sleater-Kinney. Get "The Woods", one of the better albums released last year.
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    PJ Harvey
    Hole
    Belly
    Sundays
    Cranberries
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Either of the last two albums from Sleater-Kinney, "One Beat" or "The Woods", are most worth the listen........

Somebody else mentioned Hole, "Live Through This" and "Celebrity Skin" are both great records.

I like a little indie band out of Canada, Magneta Lane. Their first full album should be coming in the mail any day now.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    tybird wrote:
    Either of the last two albums from Sleater-Kinney, "One Beat" or "The Woods", are most worth the listen........

Somebody else mentioned Hole, "Live Through This" and "Celebrity Skin" are both great records.

I like a little indie band out of Canada, Magneta Lane. Their first full album should be coming in the mail any day now.

Saw Magneta Lane, clearly not signed for their musical talent. A novelty band at best.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    well, i wouldn't recommend the donnas. but yeah yeah yeahs, pretty girls make graves, cat power, tilly and the wall are my favorite girly rockers.
    this heart's on fire
  • Options
    of_the_girlof_the_girl Posts: 745
    well, i wouldn't recommend the donnas. but yeah yeah yeahs, pretty girls make graves, cat power, tilly and the wall are my favorite girly rockers.

haha i agree the donnas are pretty awful.
    "At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet." --Plato

www.myspace.com/birdinamitten
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Woman and music = worse, worser, worst!
  • Options
    Atomic Blonde
  • Options
    Rilo Kiley is a good choice. They're a little more poppy than the other bands listed, but I dig them. The lead singer, Jenny Lewis, just put out a solo album, but that's way more folk than the music in RK.

Erin McKeown is also a badass.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • Options
    Don't forget Janis Joplin..

Mellissa Auf Dem Maur..

Cyndi Lauper..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Vixen

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    ann and nancy wilson of heart.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The Subways bass player is a cool rock chick. She goes wild when they are playing live shows, pretty decent band too.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I saw the Like open for Kings of Leon last summer at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC. They put on a pretty good show for a club opener (they kept everyone's attention at least). Their best song IMO is June Gloom. Check it out on their website: http://www.ilikethelike.com/multimedia/
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    Klumpie wrote:
    Woman and music = worse, worser, worst!

Klumpie = irrelevant opinions apparently.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    the kewlest chick EVER to rawk out....ms chrissie hynde
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Klumpie = irrelevant opinions apparently.

Totally true!
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Saw Magneta Lane, clearly not signed for their musical talent. A novelty band at best.
    I liked their EP....we'll see how the full album sounds..........
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Vixen

PBM
    Hey Ma!!! PBM's dropping acid again.....that is the only thing that could explain such a flashback. ;)
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Boris
    Christine Fellows
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Lacuna Coil
    Within Temptation

have always been my top 2.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Garbage.

The Dresden Dolls.

Cat Power.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:
    Hey Ma!!! PBM's dropping acid again.....that is the only thing that could explain such a flashback. ;)

Sorry...;)

They're on the brain today...they're coming to a local festival...had to chime in some love for Vixen.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    I'm shocked Drain STH hasn't been mentioned. I seen them open for Candlebox back in like 99 or something like that...they rocked that place! Next day bought the CD and it's a great album...called Freaks Of Nature. You should pick that one up!
    Tell the captain 'This boats not safe and we're drowning.'
    Turns out he's the one making waves
  • Options
    Sorry...;)

They're on the brain today...they're coming to a local festival...had to chime in some love for Vixen.

PBM
    Coming to town, eh???? What are they about my age now???? In their forties???? Did they keep the '80's "big hair"?
  • Options
    how bout some no doubt?

ha
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
  • Options
    ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    The singer from mazzy star's awesome Hope Sardinoval or something like that
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I can't believe know one has said this yes!
    NERDS!
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Though she's more woman than chick, I would suggest that you pick up Howling Book from Eleven. Natasha Shneider's vocals are incredible, and Jack Irons is on the skins. Then there's Alain Johannes blazing every which way on guitar.

Eleven has a little something for everybody. :)
  • Options
    the soviettes and the original sinners. awesome bands
    Walking is still honest