one-hit wonders

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,936
edited July 2006 in Other Music
One that comes to mind is Fastball. I love the song The Way from them. Amazingly enough, i think that was one of the first cd's I ever bought, when i was 13 years old in 1998. It's a shame they suck because that song is good.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fire Escape & Out of My Head are catchy tunes...I actually like them a bit.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • One that comes to mind is Fastball. I love the song The Way from them. Amazingly enough, i think that was one of the first cd's I ever bought, when i was 13 years old in 1998. It's a shame they suck because that song is good.

oh man, so many one hit wonders, I would not even know where to start. I heard a song about 3 weeks ago, and my buddy told me it was off the new fatsball album. I guess they have a new album...anyways, it was a good song.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • how bout Harvey Danger, that flag pole song "i'm not sick but i'm not well"
  • Harvey Danger does a pretty good cover of Save It For Later...I found it while searching for the original.

Remember Dishwalla?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Remember Dishwalla?

Is that the counting blue cars and charlie brown band? Or is that the Primitive radio gods
  • Is that the counting blue cars and charlie brown band? Or is that the Primitive radio gods

Primitive Radio Gods did: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hands

Yeah, Dishwalla was Counting Blue Cars (Tell Me All Your Thoughts On God)

PBM

• BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Chumbawumba - "Tubthumping"

Marcy Playground - "Sex and Candy"

Sprung Monkey - "Get'em Outta Here"

Juliana Hatfield 3 - "My Sister"

The Verve Pipe - "The Freshman"

Buffalo Tom - "Sodajerk"
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Fire Escape & Out of My Head are catchy tunes...I actually like them a bit.

PBM

Fire escape is golden, so DLing that right now
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • The Eels-Novocaine for the Soul

That's a great track.

Thumbs up on the Juliana Hatfield 3 song...I put that in my iPod not too long ago.

PBM

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    The Eels-Novocaine for the Soul

That's a great track.

Thumbs up on the Juliana Hatfield 3 song...I put that in my iPod not too long ago.

PBM

I don't know if I would call Eels a one hit wonder,
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Roll Model wrote:
    how bout Harvey Danger, that flag pole song "i'm not sick but i'm not well"

Harvey Danger was and still is a terrific band. They put on a really good live show. They just fell into some record label trappings and were kind of screwed for a while, much like another semi-one-hit-wonder, the Toadies.

Sean, H.D.'s lead singer, is a really cerebral lyricist. Very brainy and booksmart with a lot of his references. They've been one of my favorite bands for a long time thanks to his songwriting.
    "Tried to walk, found a severed ... Matt???"
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    semisonic - closing time
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    brhf9 wrote:
    semisonic - closing time

They had a great follow-up track called Secret Smile...that was always a favorite of mine.

PBM

• brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    They had a great follow-up track called Secret Smile...that was always a favorite of mine.

PBM

i like 'singing in my sleep' better but i remember 'closing time' was big on the radio back then.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • barbie doll aqua
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Youth of America - Birdbrain

As heard before the party in Scream. Got their CD and it isn't bad.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Puttin' On The Ritz - Taco

I even can't believe I remember this one, sorry...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    Marvelous 3-Freak of the week

I believe Butch Walker is doing some solo stuff now, but he also worked with Avril on some of her albums.

Sugar Buzz was a catchy track too.

PBM

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love fastball, and at first i hated the way.......
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    One that comes to mind is Fastball. I love the song The Way from them. Amazingly enough, i think that was one of the first cd's I ever bought, when i was 13 years old in 1998. It's a shame they suck because that song is good.

they actually had another song off the album that was really popular.

and that cd of theirs was my first cd if i remember correctly
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    they actually had another song off the album that was really popular.

They had a couple radio hits...haven't heard much from them lately.

PBM

• right here, right now by jesus jones is fuckin A. :)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    right here, right now by jesus jones is fuckin A. :)

Stewie made a reference to them on Family Guy the other night.

PBM

• Marvelous 3-Freak of the week

I believe Butch Walker is doing some solo stuff now, but he also worked with Avril on some of her albums.

Sugar Buzz was a catchy track too.

PBM

he gets the task of producing for Supernova once they get their lead singer. He has some catchy stuff besides the Marvelous 3 had a solo album that wasnt too bad.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Some of my fave one hit wonders- Fastball- Fire Escape (saw these guys live opened for the goo goo dolls and sugar ray, and were pretty good).
    New Radicals- You get what you give
    Point Blank- Nichole
    Primitive radio Gods- Standing outside a broken phone both....
    Harvey Danger- Flagpole sitta
    Everything- Hooch
    Chumbawumba- Tub thumping
    the Pistolaros- Guardian angel (can't find this song anywhere)
    Ampheniem- Fat tire
    Michael Penn- no myth
    Freedy Johnson- Bad reputation
    Dead eye Dick- New age girl
    Dexter Freebish- Leaving town
    Del Amentri- Roll to me
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    Harvey Danger was and still is a terrific band. They put on a really good live show. They just fell into some record label trappings and were kind of screwed for a while, much like another semi-one-hit-wonder, the Toadies.

Sean, H.D.'s lead singer, is a really cerebral lyricist. Very brainy and booksmart with a lot of his references. They've been one of my favorite bands for a long time thanks to his songwriting.
    The Toadies weren't really a one hit wonder. You are right though, the record label didn't market them well at all, and things just kind of fell apart, and Lisa left the Toadies due to creative differences with lead singer Vaden "Todd" Lewis. The word on the street is, that the Toadies should be releasing a documentary style dvd with concert footage and stuff. I was at their St. Patricks parade reunion in Dallas this past March, and was interviewed for the documentary, so hopefully some of that show among other performances will see the light of day. In the meantime, Check out Vaden Todd's new band the burden brothers, also featuring former Rev horton Heat Drummer Taz Bentley. The Burden bros 2nd disc is going to be realeased in the Fall of 2006. They should be on the road this summer, so if you have a chance, check them out. You may even get a Toadies cover or 2, if your lucky. Todd usually gets pissed when people ask though... but I heard he has relaxed his no toad policy.
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    CServant wrote:
    Puttin' On The Ritz - Taco

I even can't believe I remember this one, sorry...
    HAHAHAHHA!! forgot about that one.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    My Sharona- The Knack

I still love that song!!!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
    iluvslash wrote:
    My Sharona- The Knack

I still love that song!!!
    Oh my God... I knew I forgot to add one to my list. That's a great song! :D
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I consider the Verve Pipe's The Freshmen to be a one hit wonder. When I first saw brian vander ark open up for edwin mccain in 2005, I had never heard of him until he sang The Freshmen acapella. Then I knew who he was b/c I had heard it on the radio (that's the only verve pipe song I've heard on the poisonous radio.) One time when I went to see bva last summer, I felt sorry for him when he sang TF...he was emotional, I thought he may have been shaking.
    I didn't know if he was angry of if he was going to cry.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more