arcade fire on SNL tonight

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Set your dvr's, or whatnot. Arcade Fire tonight on SNL.

I've been very happy with the way they've been branching out with quality music as of late. The Shins, etc.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Set your dvr's, or whatnot. Arcade Fire tonight on SNL.

I've been very happy with the way they've been branching out with quality music as of late. The Shins, etc.

Me to..one of my fav new bands..good stuff..
    My buddy used to live 2 houses down from one of the band members a few years back in Montreal and hung out at times and smoked some green...LOL
    Master of Zen
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    not to mention that the Dwight character from The Office will be hosting. this could be a classic. we'll see.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I believe they will play 'Black mirror' and 'Keep The Car Running'.

And Win Butler posted on their website that they have a 'cameo in a skit'.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • brhf9 wrote:
    I believe they will play 'Black mirror' and 'Keep The Car Running'.

And Win Butler posted on their website that they have a 'cameo in a skit'.

they rehearsed black mirror and am awaiting word on what the 2nd song was
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • i was hoping for intervention and keep the car running
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Antichrist Television Blues would be cool.. they might do a song off funeral too which is totally fine by me
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I enjoy it. I thought the songs are more simple and 'rockish' (sorry, not a music critic) but the point is that io really liked it and can't wait to put my hands on the real thing.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I had no idea they were on tonight. Thanks for the heads up!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Set your dvr's, or whatnot. Arcade Fire tonight on SNL.

Yes, since AFI's appearance (awful) they've done much better.

I'll be going the way of DVR since I'll be seeing The English Beat tonight. Either way, tonight will be an excellent night for music!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • they kicked ass
  • I just watched SNL.

What would you call that type of music?
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • I just watched SNL.

What would you call that type of music?

Horribly overrated.
    NERDS!
  • Horribly overrated.

LOL
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    I missed it. I heard Arcade Filre before a few U2 Shows and I have been wanting to here some more from them. I am sorry I missed it tonight.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Horribly overrated.

I quite like it. Gets me away from the garbage that's played on a mainstream so-called "rock" station.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    that was the most lame smashing of a guitar i've ever seen. jesus man, put some emotion into it!

ill agree with that. honestly, i was pretty disappointed with their showing. im still stoked for the album and funerals is still awesome, but that wasn't exactly mind-blowing.
  • that was the most lame smashing of a guitar i've ever seen. jesus man, put some emotion into it!

I know......and you knew it was coming too....I saw him ripping the strings off, and thought "oh well, now comes the guitar smash". Then I went to bed without seeing the next song.Garbage performance on that song(and the episode itself sucked). I saw them in vancouver at the PNE forum, and they were so good......but last night...ugh...not made for TV I guess. At least pearl jam and nirvana both slayed SNL apperances in the wake of their hype.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Guitar smashing is horribly passe....and out of place when you're an *indie* band from Canada that wears period clothing.

They were fine on SNL, just fine, although I was surprised that they didn't do "Black Mirror". And the album is just as quirky but pretty full bodied. I'm liking it a lot.

A little over a year ago I watched a full concert of theirs on FabChannel...they may still have it up there so if you're looking to see The Arcade Fire in full action (and by full I mean all of the crazy instruments and spatic stage antics) have a look there.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    dharma69 wrote:
    Guitar smashing is horribly passe....and out of place when you're an *indie* band from Canada that wears period clothing.

They were fine on SNL, just fine, although I was surprised that they didn't do "Black Mirror". And the album is just as quirky but pretty full bodied. I'm liking it a lot.

A little over a year ago I watched a full concert of theirs on FabChannel...they may still have it up there so if you're looking to see The Arcade Fire in full action (and by full I mean all of the crazy instruments and spatic stage antics) have a look there.

I am loving the new album. It is just as strong as Funeral, and that's saying something. As for live performances, for me, they are right up there with Pearl Jam as the best live band in the world. I have seen them twice, and I will see them twice more in June when they play Berkeley.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Horribly overrated.

I was with you 3 years ago... especially cause of the hype (must have been a lot down there.. but you can only imagine how it was up here)... then I seen them live and gave Funeral an honest listen and realized how amazing they were.. then seen them at Vegoose and was completely blown away
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Arcade Fire is pretty amazing. I dont really care what anyone else thinks.

I love PJ with a passion but AF's music has been in my ears more over the last 2 years than theirs.

Why? Well, because they have made better music over that time period. Its that simple.

No knock on my favorite band but its true.
  • I did not like the arcade fire at all, but on the subject...

I am a HUGE Office fan and despite the fact "dwight" hosted... that show was horrible. I had to watch it for dwight, but man SNL really went down the tubes.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I personally thought they were great - not their best performance BUT exciting none the less. I haven't heard any of the new album....i've been trying to avoid the leaked versions as I want to experience the album in my headphones with the package in my hands as it was intended.....can't wait!!!!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I did not like the arcade fire at all, but on the subject...

I am a HUGE Office fan and despite the fact "dwight" hosted... that show was horrible. I had to watch it for dwight, but man SNL really went down the tubes.
    Sadly it was one of the better episodes I have seen in a while. It was consistently more funny than not over the first hour which is a major accomplishment for SNL at this point.

I thought Arcade Fire was really great, never seen them live, but I really enjoyed those two songs. The guitar smash was weak and lame, but the music was damn good, I'm really excited for the new album.
  • Was that a hurdy gurdy that Regine was playing or what the fuck...
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Dick Jones wrote:
    Was that a hurdy gurdy that Regine was playing or what the fuck...

yes, apparently it was, after looking that up online.

I had no clue what the fuck that was, and in fact, I thought it sounded made up.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Haha, that is one bizarre instrument. My dad saw them on SNL and was like "What the fuck was that girl playing?!?"

He hated it. I told him I liked them and it startled him.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • their new album is brilliant, although i think that the second half pales in comparison to the first. favorites are 'keep the car running,' 'ocean of noise,' and 'intervention.'
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • their new album is brilliant, although i think that the second half pales in comparison to the first. favorites are 'keep the car running,' 'ocean of noise,' and 'intervention.'

I think the whole album is amazing. I have not been able to stop listening to it. I can't wait until I can buy it (even though I have a lossless advance). Unfortunately I missed the SNL performance but I will look it up on youtube.
    Cock Fight.
  • If anyone has an extra ticket to any of the Toronto shows I would gladly take it off of your hands. I NEED to see them.
    Cock Fight.